As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    While I can certainly understand and even share people's distaste for Life is a Highway, I will say that I usually find myself happily singing along for at least part of it when it comes on the radio.

On another note, I just watched this interview with Carole Kaye and I'm wishing I knew if she played on any of the current Rocksmith songs.

https://youtu.be/q4JWqK6r6N4

She's pretty awesome and was one of the Motown session musicians. Similarly, I was watching a video of Herbie Hancock playing at a music festival when I was introduced to Tal Wilkenfeld. I was surprised to see a young woman (looks like a kid compared to everyone else) playing bass with Herbie. Aapparently she's toured with the likes of Prince, Chick Corea and Jeff Beck.

This concert of Tal playing with Jeff Beck is pretty awesome too:

https://youtu.be/_ndyILodYwM

I think she was only 20 in this video and only started playing guitar like 6 years earlier.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for July 25, 2017 is Marilyn Mason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIG7Yh6vMd8

“The Beautiful People” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Tourniquet” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Coma White” – Custom Tuning – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass

From the trailer, it looks like one of the easier packs.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Looks like it might be a fun pack, and I'd play the songs if they were part of the base game, but I'm not quite interested enough in Marilyn Manson to spend the money. Oh, well, not like I don't have many, many, many, many other options waiting for me.

(And I still want to see Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing, Journey's Stone in Love, and a whole bunch of others.)

• Options
    The DLC for August 1, 2017 is The Monkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUVGoNr1KLM

“Last Train To Clarksville” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Valleri” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Pleasant Valley Sunday” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I do have a soft spot for the British Invasion era, but can't say I'm really feeling this one.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Marge: [voice over] The kids at school were even worse.
    [flashback to young Marge gets on the bus and sits next to a girl]
    Girl: [seeing her lunch pail] Ew! You like the Monkees? You know they don't write their own songs.
    Marge: They do so!
    Girl: They don't even play their own instruments.
    Marge: No...no!
    Girl: That's not even Michael Nesmith's real hat.
    Marge: [screams]
    [back in the present]
    Dr. Zweig: Kids can be so cruel.
    Marge: But it's true. They didn't write their own songs or play their own instruments.
    Dr. Zweig: The Monkees weren't about music, Marge. They were about rebellion, about political and social upheaval!
    [Marge smiles, relieved]

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Eh, they look like fun songs, and I do have a soft spot.

• Options
    The DLC for August 8, 2017 is 2010s Mix III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SdnUP2OJh8

“Let Her Go” by Passenger – E Standard – Rhythm/Bass; Capo Required - Lead
    “45” by The Gaslight Anthem – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Can You Feel My Heart” by Bring Me The Horizon – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Think I'll be skipping this one. Which is OK, because some of those Monkees songs are surprisingly challenging ...

• Options
    The DLC for August 15th, 2017 is Muddy Waters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTxQCmf4sXY

“Mannish Boy” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Honey Bee” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Still A Fool” – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “I Can’t Be Satisfied” – E Standard –Lead/ Rhythm/Bass; Open G – Alt Lead

I love Muddy Waters.

This would be a day one purchase for me if I could play right now. Guess I'll have to wait for the Christmas sale.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I keep hoping that someday they'll put some actual slide guitar lessons into the game.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Huh. I think I'll pick that up specifically because it's not something I would normally play.

• Options
    The DLC for August 22nd, 2017 is Airbourne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tIGqV8703Q

“Runnin’ WIld” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Blonde, Bad and Beautiful” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm Bass

I'm not familiar with them, but they've got an AC/DC-like sound mixed with late 80s American hard rock. They seem kinda fun, if a bit cheesy.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I was a bit disappointed because I saw the "runnin' wild" tagline on Facebook over the weekend and was hoping it might turn out to be a Scorpions pack.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed because I saw the "runnin' wild" tagline on Facebook over the weekend and was hoping it might turn out to be a Scorpions pack.

That would probably be a day one purchase for me.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    We are Score Peons! Rock you like a Hurra CANE!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    God dammit! I got "Bad boys running wild" stick in my head now....

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So uh, we get a Flaming Lips song (She Don't Use Jelly) tomorrow.

DAY ONE PURCHASE

Maybe Yoshimi or Soft Bulletin in the future?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Also looks like Rocksmith is the daily deal on Steam, so get that 40% off DLC!

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Is 40% the standard discount on Steam?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Is 40% the standard discount on Steam?

For DLC, yeah. I don't think I've ever seen it lower.

Edit: Checking using Enhanced Steam for a random 5 year old song from my wishlist, it's current price is $1.79, and it's historical low is $1.49 from 2013.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Sweet, thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    Yeah, Rocksmith dlc used to get a bit cheaper but they seem to have stopped that for good

steam_sig.png

• Options
    The DLC for August 29, 2017 is Variety Pack XI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIh9LAMNBxo

“All My Ex’s Live In Texas” by George Strait – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “She Don’t Use Jelly” by The Flaming Lips – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Your Eyes” by Bombay Bicycle Club – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “This War Is Ours (The Guillotine II)” by Escape The Fate – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Unfortunately, it's not the Scorpions pack for which we were hoping.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Hmmm ... Not super familiar with any of those, but might pick it up just on general principles. Although that bit they showed from the solo in "This War Is Ours" made my fingers fall off of my hands.

• Options
    The DLC for September 5, 2017 is 3 Doors Down II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwzUZWYYjwo

“Here Without You” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “Let Me Go” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Be Like That” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Away From The Sun” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “It’s Not My Time” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Heading out to see U2 in concert tonight. College-aged me is seething with jealousy. And I know what songs I should probably spend some time playing today ...

• Options
    I fractured my left wrist yesterday, after my cable finally arrived and the airports in Houston finally reopened. I'm not going to be able to play for months, it seems.

• Options
    I fractured my left wrist yesterday, after my cable finally arrived and the airports in Houston finally reopened. I'm not going to be able to play for months, it seems.

Oh, man. Sorry to hear that. Hoping for a full & speedy recovery.

• Options
    Time to get really into Hendrix!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    The DLC for September 12, 2017 is 80s Mix IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJThDqvnho

“Hip To Be Square” by Huey Lewis & The News – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Lay It Down” by Ratt – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Higher Love” by Steve Winwood – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I'm going to take a pass on this one. Hip to be Square looks like it might be a pretty decent choice for someone new to guitar.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Hmmm..... I like all of those songs. The first two look pretty fun to me. Very tempting.

• Options
    Hmmm..... I like all of those songs. The first two look pretty fun to me. Very tempting.

Yep, all three were fun, although the Ratt song had some challenging stretches. (And the Ratt song was the only one that had an actual solo as such.) The Huey Lewis was a lot of nice single-note lines, and "Higher Love" was that kind of 70s/80s white guy funk (SEE ALSO: Hall & Oates).

• Options
    I'd love some Hall & Oates.

• Options

They've included at least a song or two in some of the previous variety packs -- "Kiss On My List" and "You Make My Dreams".

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

They've included at least a song or two in some of the previous variety packs -- "Kiss On My List" and "You Make My Dreams".

Nice! I got into the game late, so I'm probably missing out on all kinds of stuff.

• Options
    The DLC for September 19, 2017 is Thrice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFtOsHAY7s

“The Artist In The Ambulance” – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Deadbolt” – Eb Drop Db – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Stare At The Sun” – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Apparently "post-hardcore", but that first track reminds of some cheesy 90s rock.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC for September 26, 2017 is Rockin' Covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqjkiFfyjKI

“Careless Whisper” by Seether – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell - E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Tainted Love” by Marilyn Manson – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bad Romance” by Halestorm – Eb Drop Db – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Neunundneunzig Luftballons" by Nena - E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “99 Red Balloons” by Goldfinger – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for September 26, 2017 is Rockin' Covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqjkiFfyjKI

“Careless Whisper” by Seether – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell - E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Tainted Love” by Marilyn Manson – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bad Romance” by Halestorm – Eb Drop Db – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Neunundneunzig Luftballons" by Nena - E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “99 Red Balloons” by Goldfinger – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Hmmm ... Would be more interested if they were all in E or at worst Drop D.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Does Rocksmith work with 3rd party Guitar-USB cables?

Edit: I have a guitar, but no amp. Rocksmith isn't recognizing my guitar, neither is Guitar Rig. I'm trying to narrow down whether it's a problem with my cable, my PC settings, or my guitar jack.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Does Rocksmith work with 3rd party Guitar-USB cables?

Not without using a custom exe that is basically a crack.