As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Trump's ties and wiretap lies - Trump is the leaker!

1878889909193»

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Wait so, he asked to appear before the committee or the committee asked him?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Wait so, he asked to appear before the committee or the committee asked him?

Committee is asking but not using a subpoena to force him to appear yet.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

Jim Acosta is currently the Senior White House Correspondent for CNN.

considering what his twitter page looks like it doesn't surprise me. he would happily go out there and lie for trump.

haven't heard of the guy before so if I'm mistaken my apologies but his wall is about how hillary emailed classified info to a pedophile and we have no evidence related to russia/trump

edit - based on later explanations this doesn't make sense

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Hatred of Hillary ran personal though - she called out his rigging of the 2012 elections as SecState and he blamed that for the increased protest activities that occurred. This has been noted in multiple intelligence reports about the russian involvement in the election.

But yeah, I doubt trump winning was his goal; just the fact that trump got as far as he did, and hillary's team pegged with numerous scandals due to hacking destabilized america and cast major doubt on our own intitutions. mission fucking accomplished.

As with all autocrats, any operation of the government necessarily becomes personal; when the state has no objectives but the whims of its leader opposition becomes an insult

(Remind you of anybody we know?)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

considering what his twitter page looks like it doesn't surprise me. he would happily go out there and lie for trump.

haven't heard of the guy before so if I'm mistaken my apologies but his wall is about how hillary emailed classified info to a pedophile and we have no evidence related to russia/trump

This is likely to be the approach of any republican house committee: bring in willing/favorable witnesses only and try to stick to lies of omission. Repeat until you sense the electorate is bored

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Does he mean he WAS asked, or that HE asked to do so?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Does he mean he WAS asked, or that HE asked to do so?

English! It sure is a language.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Looks to me like he was asked. Him asking for a voluntary interview would be redundant.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Voluntary interview means: we've asked him, but not compelled so he can decline.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    also if it was him asking, common headline style would phrase it as 'has asked'

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    NYT phrasing:
    Michael Caputo, who served as a communications adviser to the Trump campaign, has been asked by the House committee investigating Russian election meddling to submit to a voluntary interview and to provide any documents he may have that are related to the inquiry.

The House Intelligence Committee, which is examining possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian officials, made its request in a letter on May 9. Mr. Caputo, who lives near Buffalo and spent six months on the Trump team, worked in Russia during the 1990s and came to know Kremlin officials. He also did work in the early 2000s for Gazprom Media, a Russian conglomerate that supported President Vladimir V. Putin.

Mr. Caputo has strongly denied that there was any collusion between him or anyone else on the campaign and Russian officials. He has also accused the committee of smearing him.

(Politico reporter)

http://buffalonews.com/2016/06/20/caputo-resigns-trump-campaign-tweet/

When he resigned, it was because he was too obviously in the Manafort camp and cheered Lewandowski's exit. And funnily enough
    Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has run an unusually cheap campaign in part by not paying at least 10 top staffers, consultants and advisers, some of whom are no longer with the campaign, according to a review of federal campaign finance filings.

Those who have so far not been paid, the filings show, include recently departed campaign manager Paul Manafort, California state director Tim Clark, communications director Michael Caputo and a pair of senior aides who left the campaign in June to immediately go to work for a Trump Super PAC.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So how independent is Mueller, anyway? If Trump goes ahead and fires Rosenstein, would the new Deputy AG be able to interfere –or at least pressure– with him, without Trump himself causing a(nother) reenactment of the Saturday night massacre?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Spoit wrote: »
    So how independent is Mueller, anyway? If Trump goes ahead and fires Rosenstein, would the new Deputy AG be able to interfere –or at least pressure– with him, without Trump himself causing a(nother) reenactment of the Saturday night massacre?

Special prosecutor has fairly wide powers to investigate and to make charges, without the justice department's intervention. The Justice department is legally compelled to assist with funding and staffing to the extent possible. The special prosecutor is not subject to day to day supervision by the justice department, unless their actions are reviewed by the attorney general and found way out of line (or in this case by the Deputy AG, cuz Sessions has recused himself), in which case the Attorney General has to inform both parties in congress that they've done so. Even then the special prosecutor is not bound to obey that directive, just that they're supposed to treat it with great weight in their decision-making. Soo if some new Trumpkin tells Mueller that he should stop investigating [whoever] because [bullshit reason], Mueller doesn't have to stop if he disagrees.

Basically the position of special prosecutor is intended only for extraordinary circumstances when the government needs to be investigated by an outside party, someone who's not in the chain of command. So the laws anticipate that they'll need protections against fuckery. The Trump admin could certainly try to slow them down with legal challenges and non-compliance, it'll be surprising if they don't. But compromising Mueller's investigation will be very difficult in the long term.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I thought that was only under the old (Ken Starr) laws, which have since been sunset. And that this is a much more restricted setup

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Special prosecutor has fairly wide powers to investigate and to make charges, without the justice department's intervention. The Justice department is legally compelled to assist with funding and staffing to the extent possible. The special prosecutor is not subject to day to day supervision by the justice department, unless their actions are reviewed by the attorney general and found way out of line (or in this case by the Deputy AG, cuz Sessions has recused himself), in which case the Attorney General has to inform both parties in congress that they've done so. Even then the special prosecutor is not bound to obey that directive, just that they're supposed to treat it with great weight in their decision-making. Soo if some new Trumpkin tells Mueller that he should stop investigating [whoever] because [bullshit reason], Mueller doesn't have to stop if he disagrees.

Basically the position of special prosecutor is intended only for extraordinary circumstances when the government needs to be investigated by an outside party, someone who's not in the chain of command. So the laws anticipate that they'll need protections against fuckery. The Trump admin could certainly try to slow them down with legal challenges and non-compliance, it'll be surprising if they don't. But compromising Mueller's investigation will be very difficult in the long term.

especially since Bobby Three Sticks basically knows every single trick to this particular trade. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got shit at hand that'll just let him plow the fuck through any attempts at 45 trying to slow him down.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I thought that was only under the old (Ken Starr) laws, which have since been sunset. And that this is a much more restricted setup

Based on the Order, Rosenstein essentially gave him the title of Special Counsel, but all the powers of a Special Prosecutor. He's one in everything but name.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    From the Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs Twitter:

(TJagland is Secretary General of the Council of Europe, and Lavrov is the Russian Foreign Minister who Trump gave classified intel to)

.@TJagland: These pictures (protocol photoshoot) won’t cause any problems for you?
    #Lavrov:Depends on what kind of secrets you pass on to me https://t.co/aCXMMzSur4

JoeUser on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

The special prosecutor/council rules are now based on the DOJ guidelines as opposed to the earlier law that sunset in 1999(?), so from what I've gathered Trump has two main ways to shut down Mueller beyond stuff like the ticky-tack ethics complaints.

The first route would be to pull a Nixon, order Rosenstein to fire Mueller or be removed himself, and hope the finds someone willing to do it in the line of succession before the Senate confirmation requirements become involved. This is basically what Nixon did in the Saturday night massacre, and with the Comey and Yates firing already this would be strike three in the comparison to Watergate.

The second route is even more nuclear: he could order the DOJ regulations changed to eliminate or cripple special prosecutors in general. This could only be taken as admission of guilt or the acts of a madman given the context, so he'd be in full on "come at me bro!" mode with congress for impeachment.

Savant on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

(TJagland is Secretary General of the Council of Europe, and Lavrov is the Russian Foreign Minister who Trump gave classified intel to)

.@TJagland: These pictures (protocol photoshoot) won’t cause any problems for you?
    #Lavrov:Depends on what kind of secrets you pass on to me https://t.co/aCXMMzSur4

Our President, the international laughing stock.

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

Our President, the international laughing stock.

GOD, I'M SO TIRED OF WINNING! WHEN DOES IT END?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    At what point is this basically a Russian coup enacted through the GOP leadership? We can't do anything without them, they're doing the things that Russia seems to want. Is it a coup?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    At what point is this basically a Russian coup enacted through the GOP leadership? We can't do anything without them, they're doing the things that Russia seems to want. Is it a coup?

I don't think it's a coup

"a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government."

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's a coup when they refuse to step down after being outvoted. Until then it's just the country selling out.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I don't think it's a coup

"a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government."

It's a coup, yes. Coups do not need to be violent. Just illegal.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Fascinating that now that Kushner is rumored to be under investigation, the White House is trying to give him some high profile wins

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Fascinating that now that Kushner is rumored to be under investigation, the White House is trying to give him some high profile wins

Kushner's all they got. The second he gets taken down, the admin is going to be in a world of hurt the likes they've never seen. He's "The smart one" - then there's Eric.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    682802964_8CjvU-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.