As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Trump's ties and wiretap lies - Trump is the leaker!

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Is there a SINGLE Republican in DC with integrity anymore?

Like, just one? One single representative of the party that controls all three branches?

We're talking about, like, 400 people

Just one?

Bueller?

There are a few. I don't like most of them anyway but there are, like, a couple reps that have occasionally been heard going "hey guys, hey guys, are we really doing this? really? okay, I guess we're doing this"

Is that integrity?

If anything, it's the opposite.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Like, just one? One single representative of the party that controls all three branches?

Just one?

Bueller?

There are a few. I don't like most of them anyway but there are, like, a couple reps that have occasionally been heard going "hey guys, hey guys, are we really doing this? really? okay, I guess we're doing this"

Integrity is not doing it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Just one?

Bueller?

Is that integrity?

no, "hey this looks bad and I don't like it, but I guess GOP gotta stick together?" is not integrity

that's actually pretty far from it

being evil is one thing, knowingly throwing in with evil is another

I mean. In the mathematical sense maybe

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Sigh. AG, VP, Pres, and Spicer all openly lying about Flynn to the press is serious bullshit. Spicer I can sort of understand, his job is literally to be a mouthpiece, except for the part where he continues to show up for this job.

I wonder if my congresscritters are sick of me calling them yet.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Let's not forget that the press secretary is not actually supposed to be a spin doctor for the White House--his primary role is to disseminate important information. It's vitally important that he not lie, that he retain credibility, so that when it's necessary for him to explain policy or internal thinking or "here's what our military just blew up and why" that we believe him.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    So this just happened:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-obama-wiretapping_us_590726fde4b05c39768097c8?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Trump ended an interview early with a CBS guy after the guy asked him to elaborate on the wiretapping claim.

Here's the bit from the article:
    Dickerson asked Trump if Obama had given him advice.

“He was very nice to me, but after that, we’ve had some difficulties. So it doesn’t matter. You know, words are less important to me than deeds, and you saw what happened with surveillance,” Trump said in response.

Dickerson pressed the president on whether he still stood by the wiretapping claim. Trump wouldn’t say, but claimed “our side has been proven very strongly.”

“You can figure that out yourself,” he said. “I don’t stand by anything. You can take it the way you want. I think our side has been proven very strongly, and everybody has been talking about it.”

Dickerson repeatedly asked Trump to elaborate, but to no avail.

After several more refusals to answer, Trump dismissed Dickerson and ended the interview, angrily walking back to his desk.

He can't let it go.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Selner wrote: »
    So this just happened:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-obama-wiretapping_us_590726fde4b05c39768097c8?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Trump ended an interview early with a CBS guy after the guy asked him to elaborate on the wiretapping claim.

“He was very nice to me, but after that, we’ve had some difficulties. So it doesn’t matter. You know, words are less important to me than deeds, and you saw what happened with surveillance,” Trump said in response.

Dickerson pressed the president on whether he still stood by the wiretapping claim. Trump wouldn’t say, but claimed “our side has been proven very strongly.”

“You can figure that out yourself,” he said. “I don’t stand by anything. You can take it the way you want. I think our side has been proven very strongly, and everybody has been talking about it.”

After several more refusals to answer, Trump dismissed Dickerson and ended the interview, angrily walking back to his desk.

He can't let it go.

And in a week it will be all but forgotten.

The problem I see with this is that the press is pressuring Trump one at a time.

It's like being attacked by a bee. A single bee typically isn't going to do much damage. They're easy to fend off, so long as they come at you one by one. The problem is when the entire swarm is after you. Individually it's not a problem, but the swarm working as a group is harder to deal with.

I think that's what our press needs to do. A constant barrage of "answer the fucking question, asshole" is the only way anyone in this administration is going to be held to task for the crap they're pulling.

When a reporter asks Spicer a question that he sidesteps and then no one else fucking follows up on it, it drives me nuts.

It's going to be the same shit, day after day after day until Trump's term ends or our press corps actually gains a pair and starts to work together.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Missing from that exchange is that Trump ended it by saying basically "Well, I am entitled to my opinion and you can have yours" and then saying ok, we're done.

So tune in this afternoon to the press briefing to see Spicer defend the Presidents right to accuse someone of a felony based on his opinion and that his "side" truly was proven, despite an utter lack of actual evidence.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »
    So this just happened:

He can't let it go.

And in a week it will be all but forgotten.

The problem I see with this is that the press is pressuring Trump one at a time.

It's like being attacked by a bee. A single bee typically isn't going to do much damage. They're easy to fend off, so long as they come at you one by one. The problem is when the entire swarm is after you. Individually it's not a problem, but the swarm working as a group is harder to deal with.

I think that's what our press needs to do. A constant barrage of "answer the fucking question, asshole" is the only way anyone in this administration is going to be held to task for the crap they're pulling.

When a reporter asks Spicer a question that he sidesteps and then no one else fucking follows up on it, it drives me nuts.

It's going to be the same shit, day after day after day until Trump's term ends or our press corps actually gains a pair and starts to work together.

Send in the PA D&D forum, and we can show them how to properly dogpile on a goose.

I'm looking through the schedules for the four different committees on the Russia probe, there a couple meetings on the schedule currently, just seems they are running so slow on this particular topic. I mean, I understand it is all under Republican control and they have a heavy incentive to drag their feet but I'll hold out hope they are doing a lot more behind closed doors than they are letting on, just so I can get on with my day.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I, uh

help me decipher this please:

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I, uh

help me decipher this please:

Seems pretty straight forward, he's portraying Trump's seeming about-face on Russia with the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and how it was stomped into itty bitty pieces by Operation Barbarossa

There is something of hyperbole about it

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I thought we knew that already? Wasn't that why she was fired?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Yates was fired because she BETRAYED OUR COUNTRY by refusing to represent the government for its Muslim Travel Ban to the courts.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I thought we knew that already? Wasn't that why she was fired?

I thought she got fired for not being aboard the Muslim Ban train.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Which was certainly not an actual outright ban on Muslims never mind what Rudy Giuliani said on national TV, just a ban on people including visa holders and naturalized citizens from certain countries that happen to be strongly Muslim and don't have Trump hotels.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Donald J. Trump‏

FBI Director Comey was the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton in that he gave her a free pass for many bad deeds! The phony...

...Trump/Russia story was an excuse used by the Democrats as justification for losing the election. Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?
    Comey is scheduled to answer questions at a hearing tomorrow.

This is going to cause some even more awkward questions to be asked because the President attacking his FBI Director and declaring any outcome to an investigation but one illegitimate is pretty weird.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Its unsettling to me that everytime someone is about to testify in a case pertaining to the Trump Administration that he gets on Twitter to immediately discredit and insult them. It really feeds into the narrative that he's trying to hide something and that one of these testimonies might be a smoking gun sooner or later.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm sure he'll have quite a few things to say about Yates this weekend.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Waffen wrote: »
    Its unsettling to me that everytime someone is about to testify in a case pertaining to the Trump Administration that he gets on Twitter to immediately discredit and insult them. It really feeds into the narrative that he's trying to hide something and that one of these testimonies might be a smoking gun sooner or later.

Makes you wonder why he was so worried about the real reason for the civil war the other day.

Anyway, yeah, he's clearly trying to hide something. The sad thing is, it's probably nothing too damning, and I suspect whatever damage, if any, that it ends up doing to his administration, it would have been far less if he'd just shut up and left things alone.

He can't help himself making it worse for himself.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Uh the only thing he has to hide is actual collusion with Russian operatives. That's kind of a big deal.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Uh the only thing he has to hide is actual collusion with Russian operatives. That's kind of a big deal.

That mjght be true if he didn't have a collossal ego. He could be covering up something thst just makes him look bad.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

That mjght be true if he didn't have a collossal ego. He could be covering up something thst just makes him look bad.

Yeah. My personal theory is more along the lines of 'unwitting pawn' than 'mastermind who is working with foreign government'.

Which is still awful, but not necessarily impeachable, especially with a GOP House and Senate.

But if they can find a way to get him testifying under oath for more than like, an hour, he'll almost certainly perjure himself.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    I have a feeling Trump wouls become very forgetful if he was suddenly under oath.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I have a feeling Trump wouls become very forgetful if he was suddenly under oath.

Compared to a deposition, I think Trump may have a harder time biting his tongue in the more sensationalized setting of a congressional inquiry.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

If that's what you're hoping for, I hope you're prepared for either a long wait or a lot of disappointment. However this thing shakes out, I highly doubt it's going to be direct collusion with Trump specifically

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Compared to a deposition, I think Trump may have a harder time biting his tongue in the more sensationalized setting of a congressional inquiry.

Yeah, given a protracted period (what was it in the debates, like 20 minutes?) I don't think he is physically capable of sticking to a game plan. Especially if he's put under pressure, with a less than sympathetic crowd.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    sniiiffffffff

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

I've got my money on relatively unwitting agent of influence for Russia, colluded with Russia on email leaks during campaign and colluded with rogue FBI elements to force Comey's letter and swing election, personally. There may be some spread between Trump and his campaign surrogates within that.

The conspiracy bonus is if Russia was involved with forcing Comey's letter somehow.

Label on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Yeah, given a protracted period (what was it in the debates, like 20 minutes?) I don't think he is physically capable of sticking to a game plan. Especially if he's put under pressure, with a less than sympathetic crowd.

This might not mean that he'll actually respond to any questions, though. A tantrum is likely.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm curious if comey is going to drop any bomb shell today. Is anyone going to be watching the proceedings?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

This might not mean that he'll actually respond to any questions, though. A tantrum is likely.

A tantrum on the stand would work in our favor. In that case he can't help except answer those questions.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I'm curious if comey is going to drop any bomb shell today. Is anyone going to be watching the proceedings?

I doubt it. It's just a regular check in. Not a hearing for anything particular.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    It will probably be more like his last open hearing where he can't comment on anything. The only news will be if he confirms the existence of investigations or something else vague like that.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

As opposed to everything else that makes him look bad .

No he is panic mode. Read about how he dealt with unions in rhe 80s.He's a thug and when he cant get an agreement he gets violent and threatens ( his recent libel law bs and executive order gaykiller) but its not working

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    It's still collusion if Trump didn't personally know about it and was literally being used like a complete idiot. It's still collusion if Trump knew but wasn't personally involved. It's still a very big deal either way.

Could there be other ridiculous things that come out of this regarding his current White House and Administration? Sure, but the investigation is centered on finding known links between Russian agents and the Trump campaign.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Yeah, I feel like it's more of a "don't assume malice when stupidity will suffice" situation. Dude's got skin so thin his muscles sunburn and he's got nothing to do in the white house but watch TV. His tweet tantrums usually seem to coincide with the 24 hour news cycle biting into something bad about him, and I'd guess this time is no different.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

A tantrum on the stand would work in our favor. In that case he can't help except answer those questions.

Only if he cares more about real world consequences than he cares about continuing a tantrum.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular

I'm picturing a variation of Nicholson's "yes, I ordered the Code Red" rant from A Few Good Men. He even mentions a wall.

This discussion has been closed.