As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Half of Un'Goro revealed and we have two decent legendaries. Good job Blizzard.

would you rather that the good cards be cheap, or expensive?
    like, honestly speaking, it is good for the players if the legendaries are worse and the lower rarities are better.

i'm glad a lot of the big dino legendaries are bad, it saves me a lot of dust (and i'm basically a whale!)

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Legendaries are typically bad, though

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen every card but that one is quite exciting. cool.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    The quests are legendaries and surely more than two of those are at least decent by any measure? Like, even if you're super negative about new cards (which is fine).

The priest quest is good. The Warlock legendary is good and the quest is also at least "decent". Shaman legendary is good, barring Elemental being a complete failure. Shaman quest is good.

That's 5 good legendaries right there.

Pally, Warrior legendary and Hunter quest are also "decent" at least.

Now that i think about, there's actually been very few outright bad legendaries in this reveal?
    bad: Pally quest. Druid legendary. Rogue legendary. Ozruk.
    bad-ish, but fun or maybe playable in the right deck: Hunter legendary, Mage legendary, new Elise, Hemet

we have 18 revealed legendaries (of 23 total) and less than half of those are bad. I can't imagine past expansions have a better ratio.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    GVG had two good legendaries, Dr. Boom and Mal'ganis. I think one other was playable. The rest were trash.
    TGT had a single good legendary (Justicar). It was kinda grim, honestly. A few more were playable (remember Vol'jin? no?)
    Old Gods had four good legendaries! (C'thun, N'zoth, Yogg-Saron, Fandral). A ton of the others are playable.
    Mean Streets has four good legendaries (Kazakus, Aya, Patches, Finja). Most class legendaries are okay, in addition.

I think maybe two standout good legendaries is... average, for an expansion?
    I think a lot of the good legendaries are from adventures, which is good, not-incredibly-greedy design.
    Probably because adventures had less cards, so in order to make an impact, they had to have more density.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    Barnes is ONIK though, right?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I crafted voljin day 1

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    It looks kinda like Fandral, with the whole "if it sticks" side of the card. If Umbra sticks, it's amazing. It says summon, so N'zoth turns with Umbra out are way better. 4 health is significant, makes it harder to throw down on curve as a dare like Fandral is commonly used. It's a neat card, but I doubt it will be amazing. For priest, it all depends on what rattle cards make it into a N'zoth deck. If you can reliably play it the same turn as some of your best rattle cards, it'll work. Umbra/taunt +1/+1 is a neat play. So is shifting shade and the little elemental. I think it needs a few more big impact uses to make the cut.

• Options
    djFindus wrote: »
    Barnes is ONIK though, right?

yeah

damn you hearthwiki, you fooled me for a second

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A lot of class legends depend ln the class being good. You'd have seen more Lightlord or Vol'jin if Paladin and Priest weren't low-mid tier during their heyday.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    GVG had two good legendaries, Dr. Boom and Mal'ganis. I think one other was playable. The rest were trash.
    TGT had a single good legendary (Justicar). It was kinda grim, honestly. A few more were playable (remember Vol'jin? no?)
    Old Gods had four good legendaries! (C'thun, N'zoth, Yogg-Saron, Fandral). A ton of the others are playable.
    Mean Streets has four good legendaries (Kazakus, Aya, Patches, Finja). Most class legendaries are okay, in addition.

I think a lot of the good legendaries are from adventures, which is good, not-incredibly-greedy design.
    Probably because adventures had less cards, so in order to make an impact, they had to have more density.

Vol'jin was a great card; I'd love for him to be a permanent addition to the Priest basic set. It was nice to have something that could deal with Ysera before Entomb came along (which is now also rotating out).

Twin Emps were a good card in Old Gods, it's just that C'thun warrior disappeared completely once Mean Streets came along (we all know what replaced it)

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I want to believe things will be different this expansion. I want to play death rattle priest and the priest legendary quest.

But I strongly suspect, the meta after week 2 will be aggro hunter and pirate warrior with Jade keeping greedy decks from existing.

There was this brief period in old gods where we could pretend that death rattle control priest was tier 2, kinda like dragon priest this expansion, before it became obvious that no it really isn't any good.

I just want the decks I like to play, the decks blizzard designs cards for, to actually be competitive in a meta without a few oppressive decks ruining all the fun.

• Options

What? A whole bunch of them will be played. The hunter quest is probably overpowered. King Mosh is going to be around for a long time depending on the meta, I think sun-keeper Tarim has a lot of potential in midrange and control paladin (though that depends on paladin being viable), Elise is good in control if the meta slows down. Obviously Umbra will see play somewhere.

The problem isn't the legendaries it's that the meta will probably be aggro on one end and jade on the other preventing anything else from being viable.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    I want to believe things will be different this expansion. I want to play death rattle priest and the priest legendary quest.

But I strongly suspect, the meta after week 2 will be aggro hunter and pirate warrior with Jade keeping greedy decks from existing.

There was this brief period in old gods where we could pretend that death rattle control priest was tier 2, kinda like dragon priest this expansion, before it became obvious that no it really isn't any good.

I just want the decks I like to play, the decks blizzard designs cards for, to actually be competitive in a meta without a few oppressive decks ruining all the fun.

My worry is Pirate Warrior just squashing everything; it dominates the meta in Standard (and from what I've heard, also Wild) and the only card it loses Sir Finnley. Needless to say, many are going to be happy to play the deck and run over people trying to test out the new stuff.

I haven't seen anything released so far that is going to deal with how Pirate Warrior is; I've lost games as dragon Priest putting down Turn 1, Cleric or Whelp, Wyrmrest Agent turn 2, Coining Twilight Guardian turn 3, and putting another Guardian Turn 4.

But I guess you've got to be optimistic about it; it can't be good for the business model if the best deck by far uses 29 cards that aren't in your latest expansion. Maybe there's something still to come.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    The quests are legendaries and surely more than two of those are at least decent by any measure? Like, even if you're super negative about new cards (which is fine).

The priest quest is good. The Warlock legendary is good and the quest is also at least "decent". Shaman legendary is good, barring Elemental being a complete failure. Shaman quest is good.

That's 5 good legendaries right there.

Pally, Warrior legendary and Hunter quest are also "decent" at least.

Now that i think about, there's actually been very few outright bad legendaries in this reveal?
    bad: Pally quest. Druid legendary. Rogue legendary. Ozruk.
    bad-ish, but fun or maybe playable in the right deck: Hunter legendary, Mage legendary, new Elise, Hemet

we have 18 revealed legendaries (of 23 total) and less than half of those are bad. I can't imagine past expansions have a better ratio.

Sherazin, Corpse Flower (Rogue legendary) might be pretty decent in a deck with the The Caverns Below (quest) and a bunch of cheap minions.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Honestly I feel really disappointed in Un'goro mainly in the set's lore/theme. I felt like Gadgetzan was an imagination tour de force that knocked it out of the park with the creative setting, characters and thematic ideas and then Un'Goro is... 4 devilsaur legendaries.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Honestly I feel really disappointed in Un'goro mainly in the set's lore/theme. I felt like Gadgetzan was an imagination tour de force that knocked it out of the park with the creative setting, characters and thematic ideas and then Un'Goro is... 4 devilsaur legendaries.

At least we got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-KmqjBAaEc

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    That legendary is really good. Great from a design/flavor/power perspective.

Probably the best card spoiled so far.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I used to play a lot of poxnora back in its prime 2006-2008, it was also an online card game. The devs would almost always release the first wave of nerfs week 1-2 of an expansion and release a balance patch about mid expansion cycle.

I used to hate that my favorite decks would get nerfed every few months.

But now after Hearthstone...

At the time I didn't see the wisdom of that like I do now. Things were often nerfed because they were unfun. One of the decks I played was an attrition disease deck that did constant global damage and prevented all healing. It was tier 2 at best. But it made for 45 minute games. So they nerfed it. I get it now. It is just better to be reactionary to the community. Constant change to appease the masses is the best policy.

The hearthstone devs need to get it together on balance patches.

Put away the numbers and the data mining.

If people hate pirate warrior and jade druid, nerf it.

furbat on
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I lost 5 games to Yogg tonight. When did that card come back. One of them cast 4 jade lightnings!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That Deathrattle legendary has me hype. First crafted card besides Priest Quest for sure.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

What? A whole bunch of them will be played. The hunter quest is probably overpowered. King Mosh is going to be around for a long time depending on the meta, I think sun-keeper Tarim has a lot of potential in midrange and control paladin (though that depends on paladin being viable), Elise is good in control if the meta slows down. Obviously Umbra will see play somewhere.

The problem isn't the legendaries it's that the meta will probably be aggro on one end and jade on the other preventing anything else from being viable.

Elise has the potential to be a fucking fantastic card in a slower meta, yeah. She OOZES value. 5 mana put 5 cards in your hand not from your deck. And these 5 cards are typically pretty good on average, so they've said.

I feel like she's also playable in Midrange decks that lack card draw, because she's an instant hand refill.

I have pretty high hopes for her but we'll see.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Vol'jin was GvG, priest got paletress in TGT (another niche playable).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Vol'jin was GVG not TGT. (Confessor Paletress was the Priest legendary in TGT)
    In terms of TGT legendaries, Chillmaw still sees play in Dragon Priest.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Oh cool, Spiritsinger Umbra + Dreadsteed will give you 6 Dreadsteeds.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Well, she doesn't actually see play (I haven't seen a Chillmaw in game or on stream in literal months), but she did see a good amount of play at one point (even in non-dragon N'zoth decks).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    I know everyone likes to play woe is me and I know that we're going to see a ton of pack filler but it's super funny that everyone is saying that Pirate Warrior is still going to be the best deck even though we haven't seen half of the new cards yet. Yeah it totally might still be the deck to beat. I don't know, but at least wait a few hours and then doom the standard format to hell, guys.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

Well, she doesn't actually see play (I haven't seen a Chillmaw in game or on stream in literal months), but she did see a good amount of play at one point (even in non-dragon N'zoth decks).

This is true. It's hard to remember sometimes that it's just being picked from a Netherspite (almost like a non-collectable), rather than actually being put in decks in the first place.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    That's a good card.

Brann, but for deathrattles doesn't really get my motor running though.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The interesting part about Elise is that unlike Malchezaar, you can choose when to play her (i.e. when to dilute your deck). While that's good, it does also mean that you can have a dead card in hand for several turns as well.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The interesting part about Elise is that unlike Malchezaar, you can choose when to play her (i.e. when to dilute your deck). While that's good, it does also mean that you can have a dead card in hand for several turns as well.

Does she Dilute your deck though? She adds one card which is "Pay 2, get 5 random cards that will generally be pretty good" and she has really good stats per mana cost.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

Elise has the potential to be a fucking fantastic card in a slower meta, yeah. She OOZES value. 5 mana put 5 cards in your hand not from your deck. And these 5 cards are typically pretty good on average, so they've said.

I feel like she's also playable in Midrange decks that lack card draw, because she's an instant hand refill.

I have pretty high hopes for her but we'll see.
    It's all random though. Malchezar was 5 legendaries guaranteed and still turnes out to be useless outside of fatique tech and arena.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

One card that's a thoughtsteal on steroids isn't really diluting your deck :p

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    After not playing literally all month I threw together a Dragon Priest, stomped my way up to 10, crafted my golden Rag/Sylvanas, and preordered my Un'Goro packs. I'm all set for an April rehype.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Oh cool, Spiritsinger Umbra + Dreadsteed will give you 6 Dreadsteeds.

This is almost suicide though, as the tempo loss from not being able to play more than one minion per turn is devastating vs a lot of decks.

It was one way to kill a baron dreadsteed deck back in the day.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I give it 6 months before people hate that card and are asking for nerfs.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I am performing The Grand Dusting of 2017 as we speak.

RIP Murloc Tinyfin. :bigfrown:

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

History's greatest monster right here, everyone.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

History's greatest monster right here, everyone.

At least he'll never feed any to Swamp King Dred.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    I'm doubtful you ever want to add five random cards to you deck, unless the matchup is super grindy and you expect to win in fatigue.

The fatigue on fatigue matchups have been slowly disappeared with the printing of Patches. Though it is possible they could return in Un'Goro.