As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: Ode to Joycon

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I've yet to actually see any proof at all that the docks scratch screens

I can't remember if it was here or on Reddit where someone actually posted a photo of their scratched screen, and someone told him/her that it looked more like a smudge, which is exactly what it turned out to be.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    That was me! I basically stopped using the dock because it continues to put pressure on those 2 "smudge" spots. I've had 3x 3DS units that did the same thing, everyone says "They're just smudges" but that's pressure on one point and shouldn't exist. In every 3DS, they all turned into scratches after a few months of admittedly heavy use. I DID however get one of those wicked tempered glass fronts though so when I do use the dock I'm not worried anymore.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Those pad points in the interior of the dock do leave smudge points but it's not on the actually part of the screen that has the lcd. And with any form of screen protector it should be the least of your worries.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    That was me! I basically stopped using the dock because it continues to put pressure on those 2 "smudge" spots. I've had 3x 3DS units that did the same thing, everyone says "They're just smudges" but that's pressure on one point and shouldn't exist. In every 3DS, they all turned into scratches after a few months of admittedly heavy use. I DID however get one of those wicked tempered glass fronts though so when I do use the dock I'm not worried anymore.

I have a launch 3ds, and even after leaving it at the bottom of my backpack for a few months, they never developed into anything other than grease lines?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I have a launch 3ds, and even after leaving it at the bottom of my backpack for a few months, they never developed into anything other than grease lines?

I think it's because I kept mine in my pocket (OG, 3DS XL, New 3DSXL) and I've got wee ones that are always sitting on my lap. I suspect I'm a rare case and so never bitched too much about it. I'm not worried about my Switch anymore either, since it's not on the screen and if it IS an eventual issue I'll go to Nintendo at the last minute once any "fixes" have been implemented. I just know that a smudge mark can be troubling foreshadowing so I got that protector on ASAP.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Dirty wrote: »
    I've yet to actually see any proof at all that the docks scratch screens

I can't remember if it was here or on Reddit where someone actually posted a photo of their scratched screen, and someone told him/her that it looked more like a smudge, which is exactly what it turned out to be.

When Reggie said that they never actually heard of it happening in testing thats when I knew something was up.

Edit: sometimes a smudge mark is just a smudge mark.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Picked up Has Been Heroes today, had a Gamespot gift card* and figured if I hated it, at least it wasn't my money spent on it. I don't know if I hate it yet but I find it very frustrating. The 'match your attacks to the enemy's stamina bars but you can only switch positions if someone's already attacked' seems to force you to make sub-optimal attacks at times, which can set off a chain reaction of further bad moves. I *think* I may just be playing it wrong though, but for now it's a real slog and I had to shut it off for a while.

*Not sure if I ever mentioned it, but E-rewards is a survey site and one of their quarterly (IE you can get 4 a year) is a $25 Gamestop gift card. It's pretty easy to earn enough points for the card, I've never not earned enough to cash in for a card each quarter even if I get disqualified for a bunch of surveys (you still get a pittance even if disqualified). This isn't a referral thing, just sharing. $100 in 'free' game credit a year is pretty ok.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular

Picked up Has Been Heroes today, had a Gamespot gift card* and figured if I hated it, at least it wasn't my money spent on it. I don't know if I hate it yet but I find it very frustrating. The 'match your attacks to the enemy's stamina bars but you can only switch positions if someone's already attacked' seems to force you to make sub-optimal attacks at times, which can set off a chain reaction of further bad moves. I *think* I may just be playing it wrong though, but for now it's a real slog and I had to shut it off for a while.

*Not sure if I ever mentioned it, but E-rewards is a survey site and one of their quarterly (IE you can get 4 a year) is a $25 Gamestop gift card. It's pretty easy to earn enough points for the card, I've never not earned enough to cash in for a card each quarter even if I get disqualified for a bunch of surveys (you still get a pittance even if disqualified). This isn't a referral thing, just sharing. $100 in 'free' game credit a year is pretty ok.

Hey, I may been the resident Has Been Heroes zealot so I'm happy to answer any questions.

Here's some beginner tips.
    - Every single time you melee attack, the game pauses and you can move your whole team around. With a few swaps you can position every character in exactly the right lane. There's no need to rush.

- When faced with a sub-optimal situation, usually spells can help you out. For instance...

- Doublestrike (rogue spell) will double the amount of attacks, so 6 stam and 4 stam guys can be stunned with a single attack. It also lets your bug Warrior stun a 2 stam guy.

- Hot potato (warrior spell) takes off a huge amount of stamina, stunning most normal enemies.

- Sometimes not matching the stamina works too. I will use Doublestrike on the rogue giving her 6 attacks. Say a 1 stam enemy is attacked, they'll block the first and then take 5 attacks at 90% damage.

- Can't comment much on the starting Monk since the first unlockable character replaced him and I haven't gone back.

- Don't feel too bad about dying. All the unlocks you get appear in later games. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but the vendors start offering more items and it's easier to give characters exactly what they need.

- Ultimately, I find this game is a bit like Tetris. It's all about applying the right block (i.e. number of strikes) to the right gap (i.e. number of stamina). The joy isn't so much in getting to the end, but playing really well and destroying the field with great efficiency.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I just got Has Been Heroes and actually I don't find it too difficult at all. But that's probably because I pause constantly and look around.

I wanted to see some gameplay so I searched on youtube...found some guy just doing a terrible job, not thinking, not attacking when an attack was available, or attacking with whoever was in a lane and not looking at the stamina. He also never used any of the spells at all. I had never seen this game played before and I was still like, hey, you might want to use the resources available to you? Also didn't realize you could shuffle anyone to any lane after an attack. I think half the reason I bought it was because I knew I could do better than him.

I beat the game on my first try (meaning, unlocked a new character). I think the first boss was harder than the last one. Maybe it was just due to the spells and items I got, though. Got one that let me instantly refresh a character's next two attacks, so they could attack repeatedly.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I just got Has Been Heroes and actually I don't find it too difficult at all. But that's probably because I pause constantly and look around.

I wanted to see some gameplay so I searched on youtube...found some guy just doing a terrible job, not thinking, not attacking when an attack was available, or attacking with whoever was in a lane and not looking at the stamina. He also never used any of the spells at all. I had never seen this game played before and I was still like, hey, you might want to use the resources available to you? Also didn't realize you could shuffle anyone to any lane after an attack. I think half the reason I bought it was because I knew I could do better than him.

I beat the game on my first try (meaning, unlocked a new character). I think the first boss was harder than the last one. Maybe it was just due to the spells and items I got, though. Got one that let me instantly refresh a character's next two attacks, so they could attack repeatedly.

"...found some guy just doing a terrible job, not thinking, not attacking when an attack was available, or attacking with whoever was in a lane and not looking at the stamina. He also never used any of the spells at all."

I was playing like this for the first few runs.

With a bit of progress, the initial difficulty fades away. The randomness still matters a lot, but I like to think that's part of the challenge: making the most of the situation provided.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

"...found some guy just doing a terrible job, not thinking, not attacking when an attack was available, or attacking with whoever was in a lane and not looking at the stamina. He also never used any of the spells at all."

I was playing like this for the first few runs.

With a bit of progress, the initial difficulty fades away. The randomness still matters a lot, but I like to think that's part of the challenge: making the most of the situation provided.

I just wish that there was at least a little character progression carried over from run to run, so I can feel like at least my characters are getting a little bit better every time. As it is, I'm starting over from scratch every run. Feels bad man.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    This is the third time that i have tried to buy something off the Eshop only to be hit with a charge pending from nintendo without actually letting my purchase go through.

I'm about ready to just start buying nintendo eshop cards because of this crap.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I played a bit more and am getting it. Turns out I wasn't really doing anything wrong, I was just getting frustrated at not being able to switch lanes at will instead of just after an attack.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Seriously? No one wants to play Fast RMX? Cmooon, it's the first friends list compatible title! My friend code is in my sig if you don't already have it added. Come crash every other turn with me!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Seriously? No one wants to play Fast RMX? Cmooon, it's the first friends list compatible title! My friend code is in my sig if you don't already have it added. Come crash every other turn with me!

I bought it, but I haven't really played too much of it. Plus I'm not at my Switch right now...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    When your backyard looks like the Overworld in Breath of the Wild, it's time to call In Calamity Dover with his Divine Mower.
    nn29tnjggmxu.jpg
    3y00181e0l0t.jpg
    e4tobue1h1tg.jpg
    r4v3qdposk93.jpg
    72c2lae0qji0.jpg

No rupees there either I see...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I really should have strategically placed my Zelda figures in the yard before taking the pics.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    While playing a bunch of Zelda this morning (handheld mode, as always), I took a minute to try to imagine what it'd feel like to play MK8 on it. I... don't think that it's going to be a comfortable experience. I hold my Switch delicately and with spindly fingers, but when I'm throwing down with something like MK, I want to wrap my hands around an actual controller and feel like I have full control. I may need to invest in a Pro controller (and actually set up my dock).

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    I too am starting to consider the benefits of a Pro Controller for something like Mario Kart. I'm hoping the Joycon grip will be good enough for now. I'm eventually going to need another controller for local co-op, and while figuring things in my head, it seems like a Pro Controller will be the best bang for my buck. More Joycons would require another grip, which would ultimately cost me more money.

I'll miss out on some sexy colors though. :(

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    As someone who has no interest in handheld mode (what?), I'll admit the standard joycon grip is perfectly fine.. after a while. At first it felt awkward and stupid. Why wouldn't they angle it a bit more? But after a while, it feels perfectly normal.

I have a pro, too, and I absolutely love and recommend that controller, but if you're hard up for the cash don't feel like you're missing out too much going joycon grip.

When my copy of MK8 arrives on Friday my wife and I will be rocking pro + joycon grip, but we're also set if we ever want to play 3-player, which is nice.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    It's not so much an issue of being hard up for cash for me...I'm just famously cheap when it comes to buying things like extra controllers, and accessories in general.

The Pro Controller is also a whopping $90 here in Canada (BEFORE TAX), which is ludicrous in my opinion for a controller that doesn't do anything extraordinary. I can buy a game for that much.

Reddaye on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    It's not so much an issue of being hard up for cash for me...I'm just famously cheap when it comes to buying things like extra controllers, and accessories in general.

The Pro Controller is also a whopping $90 here in Canada (BEFORE TAX), which is ludicrous in my opinion for a controller that doesn't do anything extraordinary. I can buy a game for that much.

I'm also Canadian.

I agree that $100+ after tax is insane, but I don't regret the purchase. It's a fantastic controller.

And the battery life is unbelievable. I've had it since a week after launch and I've charged it twice.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy, stop trying to convince me to spend $113 on a controller. :P

I'll end up buying one eventually. I'm just hoping to make a go of it with the grip for the time being, since I've found it suitably comfortable for playing stuff like Blaster Master and BoI.

• Options
    More thoughts on Has-Been-Heroes:

- I thought there was going to be an emphasis on has-beens, old people far from their prime, but a lot of the characters seem like generic cool adventuring types. Which is fine I guess, but a little less fun.

- The menus are terrible. Why doesn't the hero menu tell me anything about the characters? Do they have names? I think they do, I think the rogue called one by name in some dialogue I saw, but I'm not sure. Why no little history story about what they'd been up to since they were no longer in demand, or how they got themselves killed/sealed away? Why can't I even see their unique abilities/stats before I start playing?

- What does that weird unlock screen even mean? No text, and the icons get super small in the center of the screen so I can barely see them. Am I unlocking new stuff that can now potentially show up in my game? Or is it mostly about the stuff I saw in that particular run?

- How do the spell slots work? Some of them list a bonus like "lightning arcs further" or something. Do those bonuses only apply if a spell that can benefit from it ends up in that slot, or does the act of filling that slot unlock it and stack up with the rest on that one character, sort of like a form of leveling up?

- Characters don't seem well balanced, with what I'm seeing so far. One of them has faster attack generation, and refreshes their attack immediately after casting a spell, which means they get to attack constantly. Meanwhile another character does half-decent damage and every attack heals them. But...in this game, it's risky to take any hits at all. If I ever find myself in a situation where I need to heal myself that much, I've done something wrong. Such a rare situational ability doesn't seem worth it compared to what other characters offer.

- General advice, never gamble. You will always be spending all your money as it is, it's pointless to flush it down the drain. Also, prioritize buying spells over equipment, but that can be situational too. In general though having like ~10 spells across your party is incredibly useful, and OP even.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    - The menus are terrible. Why doesn't the hero menu tell me anything about the characters? Do they have names? I think they do, I think the rogue called one by name in some dialogue I saw, but I'm not sure. Why no little history story about what they'd been up to since they were no longer in demand, or how they got themselves killed/sealed away? Why can't I even see their unique abilities/stats before I start playing?

In general I agree that the menus would benefit from a good deal more polish.

I think I read they were going to add more information to the hero select screen. I went a long time before learning that the wrestler refreshes his melee immediately after casting a spell. Would have been nice to know, but the only way to find out is to inspect his items in game.
    - What does that weird unlock screen even mean? No text, and the icons get super small in the center of the screen so I can barely see them. Am I unlocking new stuff that can now potentially show up in my game? Or is it mostly about the stuff I saw in that particular run?
    Things that get unlocked at the end of the game have a chance for showing up in future runs. However unlocked items and spells remain unknown at a vendor (description is '?') until you actually get them in game.
    - How do the spell slots work? Some of them list a bonus like "lightning arcs further" or something. Do those bonuses only apply if a spell that can benefit from it ends up in that slot, or does the act of filling that slot unlock it and stack up with the rest on that one character, sort of like a form of leveling up?
    From my testing, the spell slots only work on the spell in that slot. I most commonly see it for the Rogue's 'This buff applies to the whole party'. It can be very powerful when you slot a 5 second invincibility spell in there.
    - Characters don't seem well balanced, with what I'm seeing so far. One of them has faster attack generation, and refreshes their attack immediately after casting a spell, which means they get to attack constantly. Meanwhile another character does half-decent damage and every attack heals them. But...in this game, it's risky to take any hits at all. If I ever find myself in a situation where I need to heal myself that much, I've done something wrong. Such a rare situational ability doesn't seem worth it compared to what other characters offer.
    Health regen seems not very important until you meet a mage boss who keeps blasting you with fire. At that point the health regen character can keep themselves alive, whilst the others may need fire-immunity items.

I feel balance really matters within a slot. i.e. a 2-hitter vs a different 2-hitter. While a 1-hitter may seem way more useful than a 2-hitter they are kind of performing different roles, and you'll always need that 2 hitter to stun.

I've also found it fun just to give all the items and spells to one particular character, just to see how they go when they are OP.
    - General advice, never gamble. You will always be spending all your money as it is, it's pointless to flush it down the drain. Also, prioritize buying spells over equipment, but that can be situational too. In general though having like ~10 spells across your party is incredibly useful, and OP even.

I agree about gambling in general. However it does show the items/spells before you choose to pay. Occasionally you'll see just the spell you need for a slot, or a really powerful item, and it's worth the chance.

Kriegaffe on
  • Options
    I agree about gambling in general. However it does show the items/spells before you choose to pay. Occasionally you'll see just the spell you need for a slot, or a really powerful item, and it's worth the chance.

There are so many items and spells in this game that I think I'd have a hard time telling anything by sight.

• Options

There are so many items and spells in this game that I think I'd have a hard time telling anything by sight.

I don't remember them all (so many mushrooms and potatoes) but there are a lot of elemental variants of things. Spoiler just incase people care:
    The pills give immunity for that element, the flying skulls shoot random enemies with a blast of that element, the walking bombs explode, the portals teleport and remove stam, etc..

• Options
    Flying skulls are the bee's knees!

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Played a ton of Bomberman this weekend. With the latest patch the game is just great. With computer opponents on the new weak setting they don't totally dominate multiplayer. The controls are spot on and the graphics/framerate are great. I finished a run through story mode and the levels only taking coins a couple times to continue means you end up with a decent amount of coins as a reward after finishing a world even if you die a bunch in the process.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Got me a Hori Case. No cartridge slots but it feels solid.

• Options
    So Axiom Verge is getting a physical release for Switch according to this: https://twitter.com/World1_1Podcast/status/856495275380285440

I'm one of the few Metroid fans that hasn't played this yet, so I'm excited. It's been sitting on my Steam wishlist for well over a year now, but for whatever reason I haven't gotten around to buying it during sales. A physical version will be the frosting on the cake that will push me to buying this finally. Having it portable is a major bonus. Hopefully it'll include some first print goodies like Isaac, and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    OH yes I will be definitely getting that. Thanks for the heads up @Reddaye, I've never played it either.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I hope he adds a little new content, but I'd probably rebuy Axiom Verge if the price was right. I really recommend it for old school metroid fans.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    On the other hand, I fucking hated everything about Axiom Verge and would warn everyone away from it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    On the other hand, I fucking hated everything about Axiom Verge and would warn everyone away from it.

What didn't you like about it? I thought it captured the spirit of nes/snes metroid games while having a bit more story going on in-game, albeit with a slightly simplified metroid formula.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    So Axiom Verge is getting a physical release for Switch according to this: https://twitter.com/World1_1Podcast/status/856495275380285440

I'm one of the few Metroid fans that hasn't played this yet, so I'm excited. It's been sitting on my Steam wishlist for well over a year now, but for whatever reason I haven't gotten around to buying it during sales. A physical version will be the frosting on the cake that will push me to buying this finally. Having it portable is a major bonus. Hopefully it'll include some first print goodies like Isaac, and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Oh man, this is great. For a while there Happ wasn't sure whether or not he would be able to port it because he couldn't get a dev kit. Looks like he finally got it. Hopefully we won't be waiting too long.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Swapping out game cards on the switch is kind of annoying. Prying open the cover, the contacts are reversed compared to other nintendo handhelds, and sometimes the switch doesn't recognize the card. Have to reinsert at times, hope this isn't an issue with my switch that I won't discover until I get more physical games.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Swapping out game cards on the switch is kind of annoying. Prying open the cover, the contacts are reversed compared to other nintendo handhelds, and sometimes the switch doesn't recognize the card. Have to reinsert at times, hope this isn't an issue with my switch that I won't discover until I get more physical games.

First I've heard of it sometimes not recognizing the card but I bet the vast majority of people have Zelda in there and nothing else.

I did order physical MK8 so I'll get to try that out. Thanks Amazon's preorder discount!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

What didn't you like about it? I thought it captured the spirit of nes/snes metroid games while having a bit more story going on in-game, albeit with a slightly simplified metroid formula.

I didn't like the music, I didn't like the map layout, I didn't like the weapons,

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    After doing some research, decided to exchange my Hori Case for another one with cartridge slots. That's more like it.

edzepp on
This discussion has been closed.