As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics: They're Metal

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yo Batman this week was fucking fantastic and probably the best written Catwoman I've seen since Brubaker's run.

It is like 85% a swordfight between Talia Al Ghul and Selina and it is absolutely gorgeous thanks to Joelle Jones art.
    The highlight is Talia trying to goad Selina by saying she isn't worthy of Bruce as Bruce is the finest man in the world.

And Selina straight up laughs and says Talia is an idiot for thinking she can't do better than Bruce. A broken down, tortured man who will never let anyone or anything be more important to him than a promise he made to himself when he was ten years old.

"This is a world of Supermen and Misters Terrific. Batman...for his justice...he'll betray you, he'll betray me. If you think yourself the best, And you're looking for the best. Whatever he is, Talia, I swear it isn't that. What he is, all he is...is just the stupid man I stupidly love."

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I was reading a ranking of Snyder's films, and I swear to god if I see one more "superman is a Christ figure!" take

He was created by two Jewish guys and the -el in "kal-el" is taken from a Hebrew word for god

There are plenty of cultures/religions with messianic figures and ideas, including Judaism! You can write about a self-sacrificing hero without comparing them to jesus! It's not hard!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Yeah, Batman was really good
    Catwoman perfectly straddles the line of "this entire world is ridiculous" and "but I can handle myself"

I also loved Dick explaining the whole "Batman doesn't know how to be happy" thing to Damian. It was especially good since Bruce told that to Gotham Girl, not Dick. Dick just knows him

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Yeah, Batman was really good
    Catwoman perfectly straddles the line of "this entire world is ridiculous" and "but I can handle myself"

I also loved Dick explaining the whole "Batman doesn't know how to be happy" thing to Damian. It was especially good since Bruce told that to Gotham Girl, not Dick. Dick just knows him
    I also love that the engagement is drawing Dick and Damian closer as brothers.

Not because they don't like Selina, but because it is a big change and is scary and they are always there for each other.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    They are the best. No matter what anyone thinks

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Ok, so there's Gerard Way's Doom Patrol, Cave Carson has a cybernetic eye

What else will lead into this milk war thing can I buy now?

Sorting things out on Amazon is difficult

What the hell are all these sponsored results? This shit isn't relevant

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Doom Patrol, Cave Carson, Mother Panic, and Shade, The Changing Girl are the Young Animal series

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Dickbats is still the best bats.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is Mother Panic good?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The Batman who Laughs was a let down, imo.

Red Death, the Drowned, and the Devastator we the best. Murder Machine was pretty cool as well.

I've not read it but they've been building him up for a long time and it's Batman/Joker, so I feel it set itself up pretty high going in that anything less than amazing might not come across even good.

Read it, really liked it, but I'm a Joker fan.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

The Batman who Laughs was a let down, imo.

Red Death, the Drowned, and the Devastator we the best. Murder Machine was pretty cool as well.

I've not read it but they've been building him up for a long time and it's Batman/Joker, so I feel it set itself up pretty high going in that anything less than amazing might not come across even good.

Read it, really liked it, but I'm a Joker fan.

Really? Never would have guessed.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    So just Justice League. It’s just a comic book movie I guess? I didn’t think it was bad but it definitely wasn’t as good as Thor 3. It’s better than BvS though.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    Milk Wars Wonder Woman reminds me of Mega Maid from Spaceballs

• Options
    brave-and-the-bold-batman-wonder-woman.jpg
    The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman, 6-issue mini written and drawn by Liam Sharp which has the pair investigating the murder of an Irish god.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    While that is an awesome cover, the difference in muscle definition between Bruce and Diana is dumb.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's going to be like a century before we get reliably swole diana in comic art

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    At least there's Big Barda.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Is Mother Panic good?

Yes.

It's a bit too cussy for my tastes (which makes me think of the worst excesses of Vertigo), but at the end of the day, it's a handsome looking book with a interesting take on Gotham's nightlife and on the vigilante world outside of Batman. I don't typically fuck with superhero stories, but I got a soft spot for Gotham and this scratches that itch.

With that said, the writer is a friend of some of my best friends, so I'd feel bad if I didn't read it.

Also, John Paul Leon does an issue and fuck you if you don't want to read John Paul Leon!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I will always love Diana as the divine ambassador

• Options
    Eh, yo, real quick: Does Batman actually fight crime anymore? Or does he just do battle with hell dimensions and deleted scenes from Seven? Excuse me, "Se7en."

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't have the link handy but Chris Sims has argued that he doesn't fight regular street crime anymore, because for all intents and purposes it doesn't exist anymore - at least not to the level it's worth writing Batman stories about

Batman ended crime as Gotham knew it. He cleared out the organized crime syndicates and put the fear in your basic muggers and bank robbers, but he opened the door not only for solo supervillains but also for the ones like Penguin and Two-Face who have their own gangs to fill that vacuum left by Maroni and Falcone

If anyone is still committing regular crime for financial gain that's pretty much in the cops' hands, I think

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So are there any active street-level heroes in or around Gotham currently, or has everyone more or less moved on up the ladder?

• Options
    As far as I'm aware, if you're doing hero work in Gotham, you're part of the Bat family in some capacity

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't have the link handy but Chris Sims has argued that he doesn't fight regular street crime anymore, because for all intents and purposes it doesn't exist anymore - at least not to the level it's worth writing Batman stories about

Batman ended crime as Gotham knew it. He cleared out the organized crime syndicates and put the fear in your basic muggers and bank robbers, but he opened the door not only for solo supervillains but also for the ones like Penguin and Two-Face who have their own gangs to fill that vacuum left by Maroni and Falcone

If anyone is still committing regular crime for financial gain that's pretty much in the cops' hands, I think
    That seems. . . labored?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    it's going to be like a century before we get reliably swole diana in comic art
    Other than the Gods tendency for constant punning the thing I miss most from the Brian Azzarello run was the commitment to making WW look freaking stacked.
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That seems. . . labored?

Nah its great. It gives Batman a legitimate win instead of him just making things worse and create a noticeable change between DC and our world.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think it's much more likely that Batman jumping down and breaking some poor sucker's jaw has some awful connotations now. We know more about crime than we used to, and why people commit them.

So Batman just fights the crime on his level, because 1) it's a better story, and 2) they don't have to worry about some aspects of that social commentary

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I think it's much more likely that Batman jumping down and breaking some poor sucker's jaw has some awful connotations now. We know more about crime than we used to, and why people commit them.

So Batman just fights the crime on his level, because 1) it's a better story, and 2) they don't have to worry about some aspects of that social commentary
    Those are two different kinds of explanation. They can both exist and don't really answer the same question.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Doomsday Clock sure seems like it will be a continuity nightmare for DC

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Doomsday Clock sure seems like it will be a continuity nightmare for DC

Luckily DC has seemingly decided that they care about continuity only when it adds to the story, and not when it gets in the way

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yo Batman this week was fucking fantastic and probably the best written Catwoman I've seen since Brubaker's run.

It is like 85% a swordfight between Talia Al Ghul and Selina and it is absolutely gorgeous thanks to Joelle Jones art.
    The highlight is Talia trying to goad Selina by saying she isn't worthy of Bruce as Bruce is the finest man in the world.

And Selina straight up laughs and says Talia is an idiot for thinking she can't do better than Bruce. A broken down, tortured man who will never let anyone or anything be more important to him than a promise he made to himself when he was ten years old.

"This is a world of Supermen and Misters Terrific. Batman...for his justice...he'll betray you, he'll betray me. If you think yourself the best, And you're looking for the best. Whatever he is, Talia, I swear it isn't that. What he is, all he is...is just the stupid man I stupidly love."
    You know, I was thinking about this and something popped into my head.
    Bruce and Talia have already had that conversation, during No Man's Land. She said that NML was freedom, a way out, and they could be together, since the two of them (at least at that point) loved each other. And Bruce refused, because of The Mission. And she accepted that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

You know, I was thinking about this and something popped into my head.
    Bruce and Talia have already had that conversation, during No Man's Land. She said that NML was freedom, a way out, and they could be together, since the two of them (at least at that point) loved each other. And Bruce refused, because of The Mission. And she accepted that.

Not in continuity

• Options
    What really? I thought all stories happened gor Batman at least.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I think it got replaced by Zero Year??? Snyder's run of Batman seems to be what everyone at DC is referencing at the moment (plus a couple other popular stories and defining moments in his history).

Armoroc on
  • Options
    Zero Year is his new origin but I think No Man's Land got lost before that in the New 52 shuffle

• Options
    "a" No Man's Land may have happened, but not the one pre-Flashpoint. Those versions of Cassandra Cain and Helena Bertinelli don't exist anymore.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    AW MAN

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    A website called comicsheatingup.net managed to get it's mitts on Doomsday Clock #1 early, revealing that...
    ...the Rorschach in this story is indeed a new guy since the original one died at the end of Watchmen. Obvious but that's still one thing fans of that story can probably relax about.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    What if Rorschach were Vic Sage?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    What if Rorschach were Vic Sage?

But
    "Rorschach sucks."

This discussion has been closed.