As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forums: An Ethnography

HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
*EDIT: Project is complete, url is at the bottom of the post*

Greetings Penny Arcade forum goers,

I'm currently taking a college course in studies in digital media (generally revolving around web 2.0 with a dash of yucky French sociology), and for our final project we're to do an ethnographical study of an online community. Myself and a partner decided we'd like to focus on web comics, both the creators and the fans (and even the fans who are also creators and vice versa). Penny Arcade, being one of the biggest web comics out there, seemed like a logical place to make one of our focuses.

Much of the project revolves around observation, but we'd also like to take a more direct approach with forum users. As such, I've come up with a couple questions and was hoping some of you could take the time to answer them. Any response will be appreciated.

1. What originally drew you to these forums? Was it the comic itself? If not, what else?

2. Do you read other web comics? Which? (If you do not read PA, say so)

3. How did you come up with your username? What about your avatar/signature?

4. Do you draw webcomics?

5. Do you interact with any other forum users outside of these forums? How? (Gaming clans, RL friends, etc)

6. Which sections do you typically focus on here? Are there any you avoid altogether?

7. Do you generally visit the forum more than the main site? How much so?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in SE++, please move if incorrectly placed.

Thanks for the edit, alpha:

The final project is done and submitted, you guys can take a look at it Here. Thanks all.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
Heartlash on

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. It was the comic. Totally.

2. VGCats, Cascade Failure, Megatokyo, User Friendly, PVP, Namir Deiter, Real Life, a few others that aren't coming to mind.

3. Long story behind my user name. Short version, it's an abbreviation of a title of a short story I wrote back in 2000. The avatar is just a random dragon pic I found - dragons are about my favorite mythological creature.

4. Nope. Can't draw worth beans.

5. Not these forums.

6. D&D, G&T, WoW. I don't avoid any (Although I'm wary of SE++)

7. I do, only because there's only a new comic three days a week and I browse the forums daily.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    HiredGunHiredGun Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic, absolutely.
    2. Questionable Content (which I love), Ctrl+Alt+Del (which I hate but continue to read for some reason) and PBF.
    3. Don't know... this is what I've always been. The avatar is a mild lookalike of the real me - I made it with an online avatar generator.
    4. No.
    5. No.
    6. I don't go to SE++ or the comicbook section. I focus on H/A and D&D.
    7. Yes; for the same reason as Nova.

HiredGun on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. I came to the forums originally entirely because of PAX and the forum dedicated to it (of course the comic preceded my interest in PAX, I've been a reader since 99). I had otherwise avoided them because of previous bad experiences with forums.

2. VGCats, White Ninja, Perry Bible Fellowship, Alpha Shade, Bizarre Uprising, Twelve Dragons, Snafu

3. My username came as a deliberate effort to find something less cheesy than KingOfWrath which I used to use when playing Age of Empires. It seemed to fit my personality, and I broke it in with the release of Return to Castle Wolfenstein (as ElectricTurtle specifically, and later COLOR="Cyan"]C[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]B[/COLORElectricTurtle).

My avatar I just changed today, no more than a random esthetically pleasing image from Deviant Art. My signature reflects my love of classical literature and my years past study of classical Latin.

4. No, I've been peripherally involved with some short lived or never released projects with my friends, but never in a drawing capacity.

5. PAX is the main arena wherein I have much contact with forumers in meatspace. My fiance also makes an appearance here, but we met long before either of us had any forum presence.

6. PAX forum is #1, followed by H/A, occasionally D&D, rarely any place else.

7. It's hard not to given that the main site only updates MWF, and I have a lot of downtime at work, so I hang out a lot lately.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic lead me to the forums. After which I noticed the quality of moderation and members here is extremely high relative to many other forums.
    2. VGcats and MacHall (now Three Panel Soul).
    3. Hewn comes from a magic spell used in the Sega Genesis video game Phantasy Star 4. Currently working on sig and avatar, but will likely be the character using said spell.
    4. Nope.
    5. Nope.
    6. D&D. Help/Advice. G&T. None specifically avoided, but some topics not of interest (eg. Dice and Men since I don't tabletop game.)
    7. Forum near daily. Front page 3 times a week.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic
    2. Good god theres so many, Questionable Content, Perry Bible, Something Positive, Ctrl+Alt+Del, the list goes on...
    3. Drunk one night, tried to spell lardalicious in some game for my name, misspelled it and only Lardalish fit. As for the Av/Sig, Fedora (another forumer) was drawing them a while back and I like Godzilla.
    4. Nope
    5. Some real life friends, hopefully a miniPAX this summer.
    6. SE++, ODaM, occasionally GV and AC
    7. I visit the forums every day for hours on end, I check the comic whenever it updates.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. Comic.

2. VGCats. AppleGeeks.

3. A long time ago I created a PK character who would devour my enemies. I replaced the u with an i to make it bit more unique. I don't use avatars or signatures, and in fact I turn them off on the forum viewing options.

4. No.

5. I am a member of the PA Lord of the Rings Online guild, The Barrovian Society.

6. I only look at Games and Tech, Help and Advice, and the MMO subsections.

7. I generally visit the forums once or twice a day. I visit the main site whenever the RSS feed tells me there is a new comic or news post, which is generally once every three days I think.

Hope that helps.

devoir on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. Definately the comics. Then H/A. I liked the idea of an open topic, moderated help system.

2. VGCats, PvP, and Order of the Stick.

3. Sarcastro is a character from 'The Tick'. He's a bit of an anti-hero, and I always thought the name suited a magician who just doesn't give a damn anymore. The avatar is a satire of the real Castro, also a bit of an anti-hero, smoking a hand-rolled item labelled 'Cuba'. It a reminder that whenever one uses power in a consumption of resources, those resources have their own way of using you back.

4. No.

5. Yes. I have friends and extended family that read and post here.

6. H/A is probably my favourite. D&D if I'm feeling like a rumble. Very Yin and Yang. I browse others, but I don't consider myself up to date on them.

7. I guess I would say yes, though I generally check once a day for new strips/news/info.

Good luck!

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. Comic. Started in AC, then deviated over to SE++

2. not really. I catch Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal when I get a chance, but that's it

3. Random assortment of letters that sounded fun. Sig and avatar are renditions of a character I draw sometimes

4. Not currently. I do MSpaint asshattery but not a webcomic

5. Know a few people in real life, have met forumers via PAXes.

6. SE++ mainly, but I peruse all subforums regularily

7. Yes. a lot moreso, the forums have talking, wheras the main site has a comic and words

Raneados on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. Comic and the both informational and humourous news posts.

2. Order of the Stick, Applegeeks, VG Cats, Megatokyo

3. Was bit tired with my regular D&D-inspired username that I've used for years now, so decided to just drift to a simpler one. My signature's usually just whatever quotes I find enjoyable though my avatar was a pic that fit my usual likes in avatars (artistic, dark atmosphere, etc.) and was one I hadn't used before on a forum.

4. Nope.

5. Not these forums, no.

6. D&D, Games and Tech, H/A, and Of Dice and Men mainly, though I tend to browse the others occasionally.

7. Quite a lot, considering (as have already been echoed here) main site updates quite less frequently than some of the forum threads do here.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Heartlash wrote: »

I'm currently taking a college course in studies in digital media (generally revolving around web 2.0 with a dash of yucky French sociology), and for our final project we're to do an ethnographical study of an online community. Myself and a partner decided we'd like to focus on web comics, both the creators and the fans (and even the fans who are also creators and vice versa). Penny Arcade, being one of the biggest web comics out there, seemed like a logical place to make one of our focuses.

Much of the project revolves around observation, but we'd also like to take a more direct approach with forum users. As such, I've come up with a couple questions and was hoping some of you could take the time to answer them. Any response will be appreciated.

1. What originally drew you to these forums? Was it the comic itself? If not, what else?

5. Do you interact with any other forum users outside of these forums? How? (Gaming clans, RL friends, etc)

6. Which sections do you typically focus on here? Are there any you avoid altogether?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in SE++, please move if incorrectly placed.

1. The comic
    2. Achewood
    3. Shintoism was part of a funny joke that was on TV while I was creating my account. Also, I had a vague idea that anything Japanese was well regarded by the forums. I have this avatar because I really enjoy Hunter Thompson's writing, and the character of Duke in Doonesbury is based on him.
    4. No.
    5. I'm friends with one of the moderators that I met here. We both live in Boston so we started hanging out on the weekend. Mainly we seem to watch movies, play games and cook.
    6. I mostly focus on D&D. I more or less completely avoid the other main forums G&T and SE. I'm not really interested in what hey talk about there.
    7. Aside from checking the comic when it is updated and occasionally reading the news post on the main site I spend most of the time in the forum - so that's 99% of my time here.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. Comic, for sure.

2. Dinosaur Comics, 8 Bit Theater, VG Cats, Ctrl-Alt-Del (even though I think Tim Buckley is a greedy douchebag, a shitty artist, and lame as a writer...I'm just caught by continuity), machall

3. Long story about the username. Short version: in jazz band in high school, director looked angry all the time, shirts with his face and the words "mad jazz" happened. Avatar is Dai Vernon, the greatest closeup magician of all time (I'm an amateur magician). Sig is just a forum quote from somewhere.

4. No.

5. Used to be in one of the forum guilds on WoW, but moved on to play with other people from work and school.

6. H/A, WoW, D&D, G&T and ODaM to a lesser extent. SE++ isn't really my cup of tea, so I don't really visit it, but I don't specifically avoid it.

7. Forums way more.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The comic on recommendation from a college coworker.

CAD (I'm not sure why as I don't think it's funny), Dilbert (I read off the author's website), 8-Bit Theatre

username is my college-given user ID. I picked my Gumshoe avatar because I like Phoenix Wright. No special story there. And my sig is my 360 achievements and a link to TreasureTrooper. The achievements are there because I like to compare myself to others via achievements, etc. and the TreasureTrooper link is because I enjoy making money.

Nope. I can't draw.

One PAer I know it real life, and several others I also interact with over at 360arcadians. As soon as I upgrade my Xbox Live Gold I'm sure that I'll interact with PAers in multiplay as well.

G&T, D&D, H/A. I tend to keep out of everywhere else. SE++ scares me, and I can't draw, so AC is out, too. I don't play WoW or other MMOs.

Yes, I check the forums every day, but I only check the main site when there's a new newspost/comic.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The comic... I think one day I clicked on "Forum" on accident and was like, "whoa, this place has a forum?"

I do, but very seldomly (as in like once a month). Cyanide and Happiness and Gu Comics are the two.

I was painting my Empire Halberdiers for Warhammer blue and so HalberdBlue popped in my head. I think I may have been stoned at the time.

No, but I draw comics for fun and share them with my friends.

I participate in Game On threads every eon or so.

I read G&T, D&D, Artist's Corner, H/A, and SE++.

Yeah, I usually read the blog post and the comic when they update it and then waste some time on the forums. I maybe spend an hour per day reading PA forums and maybe 25 minutes a week at most reading the blog posts/comic.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The comic. A link was featured in DC:UK, A British Dreamcast magazine

VGCats, PBF, XKCD, Little Gamers, LucidTV, White Ninja

It's the name my college network came up with for me (my first name and my birthday (2nd of July). My avatar (when my shitty host works properly) is the Blacktron logo from the old Lego sets, and I just use my sig to advertise whatever cool stuff is going on

No, because I suck at drawing.

I'm organising a big UK meetup for the G&Ters, and I have met a fwe fourmers in the past. Also, have often traded games and stuff with people here

G&T, SE++, GV and oD&M. I post in H&A sometime too( well, dur) I avoid WB and AC because I have nothing to contribute.

Yeah, because the main site doesn't update al that often, and quite often the comic is shit.
    Thanks a lot.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was originally drawn to the Help/Advice forums and the general community.

PA, GU Comics, VGCats, Orneryboy, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Dark Legacy Comics, Scary Go Round, probably a few others.

My username has been my alias for many years .-. Just something I made up and which stuck. My avatar is something small I created for one of my friends.

Nope, I can't think of storylines or puns for toffee.

Nope, I'ma lurker.

I usually lurk around D&D, Artist's Corner, H/A and SE++ but will wander into the others if I see anything I find interesting.

The forums daily, I only visit the main site if there's something new.

Edilith on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The comic originally drew me here, the general maturity of the folks here made me stay.

Ctrl Alt Del, VG Cats.

The user name is the name of a dragon from a book. The signature I just thought was funny. Avatar is from my favorite online game (Asheron's Call)... the big bad character from the game, Bael'Zharon.

Hah... no.

Just other forum users here in various games (Lord of the Rings Online at the moment).

Games & Technology, and Help/Advice. I try my best to avoid Debate & Discourse, and Social Entropy.

Yea, hit the forum every day.. the main site only updates 3 times a week.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    krlkrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic.
    2. Not really, VGCats once in a while.
    3. Name comes from my real name. Avatar is from a game I made.
    4. No.
    5. No.
    6. G&T mostly, sometimes H&A and I read (but don't post in) D&D.
    7. Forum daily, main site only when the newsposts are posted.

krl on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks everyone who's posted so far. These are great. :)

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, the comic.

Yes. Achewood, Overcompensating, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, xkcd, Perry Bible Fellowship, regularly.

To be honest I have used jpeg/jpg since I was like 12 and I think the only reason I think I started using it was because I started doing graphic design around that time, so I kept saving my images as a .jpg. Both my avatar and sig are from Achewood, along with my user title and location.

No. I am not funny, and don't have any will to find a writer to maek joaks for me.

Not really.

AC, SE++, H/A, D&D, and G&T. I avoid the writing, comics, and mmo forums altogether, although I used to post in the WoW forums when I played WoW.

Yes. I only check the site every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, to see the new comic and read the news post. The forums are my homepage so I see it whenever I use the computer and usually dick around for a few minutes before going to another site.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

1. The comic
    2. VG Cats, Sinfest, Looking For Group
    3. It was generally a joke. When I originally joined the Phorum, there were maybe 2 other conservatives that got involved in the political threads. My av is, again, a self depreciating joke about my political views, and my sig was just an attempt at creative bandwagoning when the Civil War sigs all began.
    4. Nope
    5. Nope...unless you count logging into ventrillo once a month or so.
    6. D&D almost exclusively. Sometimes I wander over to H/A, but I avoid the other subforums like the plague.
    7. Technically no, but really yes. My bookmark is to the frontpage because I can go to either the forum or the comic from there, but I spend the vast majority of my time on the forum.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Thanks a lot.

1. Yep, the comics.
    2. Yep. Dr. Mcninja, Order of the Stick, Erfworld, VGcats, PBF, XKCD
    3. I was gonna be sniperwolf, but my friend pointed out that that's a girl in MGS. So I proved I was a dude.
    4. Nope
    5. Yeah. Vent, game clan, etc.
    6. H/A, G&T are my big ones.
    7. Yeah, definitely at the forum more. I check the main site maybe once a day.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic was most definitely what drew me to the site then I wandered into the forums one day.

2. I do still read PA, but also: Questionable Content, XKCD, Perry Bible Fellowship.

3. I've used it for a long time, I've since stopped using this one, but it is a twisted homage to the Monkey King from Journey to the West. My sig/avatar are because Batman and Spider-man are my favorite comic heroes so them together is a good time for all.

4. Not a chance.

5. So far as I know no one on here lives within 300 miles of me, and I did hang out with some forumers in Guild Wars when it first came out, I was in a PA guild (Kansas City Hot Steppers)

6. I focus on SE++ most, followed by H/A and now a little bit in the Writer's Corner. I avoid G&T the most.

7. I only visit the main site once every MWF for the news post. I read the newest comic in the SE++ comic thread and on top of that I visit forums half a dozen times a day, every day.

You're Welcome.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I found the forums through the PA comic, which I found through being linked to a WoW themed strip.

I read PA as well as Toothpaste for Dinner, OOTS, Mac Hall's stuff, Wondermark, Qwantz.com's Dinosaur comics, Exploding Dog, sometimes PVP if I remember to check it.

My username is from a long long ago MUD, and I pretty much use it everywhere since its unique. My avatar is from a Mac Hall comic and my sig changes but is usually WoW related.

Nope.

I chat with and have played WoW with forum users.

I refresh the WoW forums like mad and when they get slow I head to D+D or HA to lurk. Tried SE++ a couple times, but it's scary :(

I hardly ever go to the main site. I read the comic from an rss feed and have the WoW forum bookmarked so it's the first thing I go to .

Medopine on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. I read the comics quite often without going to the forums at all... I think Tycho linked to them once, or I was bored and checked them out.

2. The Perry Bible Fellowship, Dr. McNinja, Achewood

3. I was young at the time and thought that it was OK to do shots of Maker's Mark. Faux pas

The AV/sig combo changes, but it'll generally be a favorite movie or album.

4. Nope.

5. I hitched up with my current WoW guild through the WoW forums.

6. H/A, SE++, WoW... I used to spend more time in G&T when they had the chat thread, but nowadays I pretty much just get news from there.

7. Much more often. It doesn't take long to read the new comic and newspost--by contrast, there are a lot of threads to go through on the forums.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The squidi scandal. I wanted to see what all the hullabaloo was all about, then registered an account shortly thereafter.

2. XKCD, Dr.McNinja, Achewood, Something Positive, Perry Bible Fellowship and Questionable Content are the ones I check fairly often.

3. My eighth grade teacher started calling me Javen since it is a combination of my first and last names. Then my friends started calling me by the same handle, and it just kind of stuck.

4. No.

5. I have a WoW guild comprised of about 2 dozen denizens of SE, I've done a Secret Santa for two years, and I talk to a number of forumers via AIM/Facebook/Myspace.

6. SE++ is my general hangout, and I read most of the WoW forum. I've been known to make the occasional post in G&T if I like the topic, but I generally don't even check any of the other forums.

7. Since the main site really only updates every other day, yes, I visit the forums much more often. In fact, the link on my toolbar sends me directly to the forums, as opposed to the front page.

Javen on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. Comic
    2. Not on any regular basis.
    3. A song title for my name, my avatar I saw on a t shirt and I thought it was pretty clever, and my sig is a band I like.
    4. No.
    5. I talk to people from the forums outside of the forums, and occasionally play a game with them.
    6. I read and participate in G&T, D&D, and GV. I read the others from time to time, but rarely participate.
    7. I read the comic whenever the comic hits, and I read some of the newsposts, but I hit the forum most days.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Thanks a lot.

1. Comic
    2. Achewood, Alpha-Shade, Diesel Sweeties, Dinosaur Comics, Married to the Sea, Minus, Perry Bible Fellowship, Questionnable Content, Rob and Elliot, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Three Panel Soul.
    3. It's from Megaman. The AV and sig are just stuff I like.
    4. Nope.
    5. Some gaming
    6. D&D and H&A mostly. Others from time to time.
    7. Yeah. I'm around here a bit every day. Check the main site on comic days.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    - Definitely the comic.

- Not really. Well, I always check out dilbert.com, maybe that qualifies as a webcomic.

- I change my avatar/sig constantly whenever I feel like it. My current avatar is from my EVE Online portrait.

- Nope

- I play EVE online in the PA corp.

- I post in D&D and ODaM, and check out Writer's Block and H/A regularly. Graphic Violence (the comic section) doesn't interest me.

- I only check the main page maybe once or twice a week, but I spend quite a lot of time on the forums daily (I tend to have the forums open all the time when I'm at work).

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comics.

2. GU Comics, PVP, CAD, VGCats, PBF, Geek Tragedy, Applegeeks, Questionable Content

3. There's no special significance to my username; I thought I just made it up. An ego search on Google told me that it's the name of a UK-based producer of electronic music. My avatar shows my interest in BioWare's upcoming RPG Mass Effect.

4. Nope.

5. I've a couple of people on MSN.

6. I tend to spend most time in The Writer's Block. I post in D&D every now and then if I see an interesting philosophy thread. I've been involved in some of the games in ODaM. If new information comes out about Mass Effect I peek into G&T to see if there's any discussion going on. I wouldn't say I avoid the rest, but they don't have anything that's grabbed my attention.

7. I'll check the main page once every comic day - twice if the comic is up late. I visit the forums daily, and spend upwards of an hour (sometimes in a block, usually spread over the entire day) browsing and posting.

Grid System on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

1. Yup, pretty much the comic drew me here.

2. I try to read PBF and VGCats, but I don't always remember to do so.

3. I've had this username for something like 15+ years. I just misspelled my first name and threw my surname's initial at the end. My avatar is the Master Librarian from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

4. No.

5. No.

6. My typical day on the forums has me go between G&T, D&D, and H/A. Sometimes I'll visit the WoW forum, but not as much lately since I've taken a break from that game. I've never really been to Artist's Corner, Of Dice and Men, or the Writer's Block. SE++ can be entertaining, but I prefer to watch rather than participate.

7. Yeah, I'd say I visit the forums a lot more than the site itself. Some days I even forget to check for the new comic/newsposts.

SteevL on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic brought me to the website, I started posting to get in certain discussions about games.

2. None as religiously as PA. I occasionally enjoy VGCats and Achewood.

3. The name is derived from a Magic: The Gathering Card.

4. No.

5. No.

6. MMO, Help/Advice, and occasionally G&T

7. The main page of the site is my browser home page, but I usually check the forums every time I open my browser at home (alot)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TheLightBearerTheLightBearer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic, then the atmosphere on the forums kept me here.

2. PennyArcade, LeastICouldDo, CtrlAltDel and Questionable content

3. No avatar or sig. Username? I dunno, just picked it, I guess

4. I'm not artistic in the slightest, nope.

5. Not of this forum. Wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'm kinda new.

6. I don't avoid any, but I don't keep up with comics to read that forum. ODaM and Help/Advice are the main two I check.

7. A great deal more time spent on the forum, but I guess I visit them the same amount. I haven't bookmarked the forum, I just go through the site :p.

TheLightBearer on
  • Options
    SerphimeraSerphimera Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My husband thought the PA guys were from Boise (where we live, and yeah I know that's not true), so I decided to pop in and see what it was all about. I like the comics/blog, and kept coming back for more. Eventually I got bored just reading the blog and checked out the forums, so here I am.

Does Dilbert count? If not, then no.

My username is my main character's name in Conquer, and the name I use on all forums.
    My avatar is from a cartoon called Invader Zim (check it out, it's hilarious).
    My signature is from the Dilbert Blog.

No.

Not this particular forum.

Help/Advice mostly, sometimes I take a look at the other sections.

If I have free time, yes. Maybe 1-3 hours a week.

Serphimera on
    And then I voted.
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Friend of mine recommended the comic to me off-hand. It was the one with Chris Matthews I believe. A visit to the forums soon followed.

Megatokyo, Applegeeks, Order of the Stick, Count Your Sheep, Starslip Crisis, PvP, Dinosaur Comics, Sinfest, Dr. McNinja, 3-panel soul, Machall (before it died), Scary Go Round, Checkerboard Nightmare, Perry Bible Fellowship, Copper, Alpha Shade, 8-bit Theater, VG Cats, Serves You Right, Exterminatus Now, xkcd, and probably a couple others that I missed.

After reading Tad Williams' Otherland series, it came to me in a flash.

No

No

G&T, D&D, H/A, and occasionally I'll dip into SE++. In general, I'll visit all of the "On-Topic Forums" once in a while if I'm really bored.

Yes, and much more.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic
    2. Sam and Fuzzy, Boy on a Stick and Slither, Questionable Content, Order of the Stick, PBF, Dr. McNinja, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
    3. I'm really bad at coming up with names, so I asked a friend for a random word, and that's where it came from. My avatar is from some cartoon thing I saw somewhere on the internets that made me laugh, and my sig is a quote from a book that I liked.
    4. No
    5. My recent ex is a forumer. We don't interact much lately. Is that a yes or a no?
    6. D&D and H/A, usually lurking because by the time I get there, my opinion or advice has usually been posted a number of times
    7. I check the forums more (every day or 2). The comic I'll read once a week or so because I like having a few to read instead of just one.

Anome on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. I've used other forums before, one day I noticed and clicked the forum link and I moved in.

2. CAD, PvP, VGCats, Real Life, Dr. McNinja, Alien Loves Predator, Perry Bible Fellowship

3. My real name is Scott, and also I remind myself of a muppet. I play a lot of City of Heroes.

4. No.

5. PA Supergroup in CoX, a couple PA guilds in WoW, some RPG games on IRC.

6. MMO, GV, ODAM, D&D, some WoW, HA and G&T. I avoid SE++.

7. I only need to check the main site every 2-4 days, I check the forums many times a day.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The comic... and too much spare time.

2. User Friendly, occasionally Ctrl-Alt-Del and 8-Bit Theater.

3. My username is a character from a movie, Ready To Rumble, which I find far funnier and more enjoyable than I know I should. My avatar is Oliver Platt, who played the character Jimmy King in the movie. My sig used to be a sig rotator, but now is just a link to it as thing changed with the forums and I'm too lazy to correct it for the changes.

4. Nope.

5. Not really... some of us also chat together on other forums on occasion, that's about it.

6. Primarily H & A these days. I used to be a regular in Games and Technology once upon a time.

7. Forums much more often than the main site. As others have said, the main site is only updated 3 days/week and only takes a few minutes to read the post and comic, so the forum naturally takes up a lot more time.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The Comic.

2. Questionable Content and Megatokyo.

3. Its from a book series, by Roger Zalazny. If my avatar still lives, its from FF3.

4. No.

5. Sometimes a game of Starcraft or emails regarding programming.

6. HA mostly, sometimes G&T

7. Yes, I usually only check the main site for the new comic.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1. The Comic

2. Yes
    -Afterstrife
    -Applegeeks
    -Full Frontal Nerdity
    - Ctrl-Alt-Del
    - Gone with the Blastwave
    - Joe and Monkey
    - Joe Loves Crappy Movies
    - Least I Could Do
    - Megatokyo
    - Perry Bible Fellowship
    - PvP Online
    - Real Life
    - Rob and Elliot
    - Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
    - Dr. McNinja
    - Theater Hopper
    - VG Cats
    - White Ninja

3. Username: Learned the term in history class, thought it was cool.
    Avatar and sig: Snake Plissken from Escape from New York, and Escape from L.A. (movies)

4. Yes, but none have lasted more than 10 strips before I get bored, I'd say I've tried starting about 20 different ones.

5. Gaming

6. G&T, D&D, Help and Advice, Artist Corner

7. Yes, more times than I can count.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Random Thought:

Any chance we'll get to see the results of your research?

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf