As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 10.0] Patch live! New Lunar Map and Hog/Reaper/McCree changes!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    wait why did I sound like Jeff Kaplan
    Maybe it was a combination of the volume I had the game at and you speaking softly or something. But during Hanamura I was just thinking to myself, "he sounds like Jeff right now."

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Does HOTS have any sort of tutorial? Not going in without knowing any basics at all.

There's a tutorial, and also a vs AI option. It's good for learning what your hero can do, and also what to do on the different maps.

Also worth noting for anyone jumping back into HotS or playing for the first time, with the 2.0 update, you get enough free gems for logging in to by a hero bundle. Essentially they give you like, 20 free characters. I recommend the assassin bundle because Kerrigan and Nova are the best.

Though, maybe play around a bit or look into how the different character roles play before choosing a bundle.

"Kerrigan" and "best" in the same sentence strikes me as kind of a contradiction in terms :P.

Honestly, though, looking at those hero packs, it strikes me how few Blizzard characters I actually like. This seems like a thing where being familiar with the roster actually makes me want to play less.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    [Wrong thread]

Donnicton on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Here's some random clips of games from the last 2 days or so

Mostly just being the worst hanzo, orisa pulls, and me healing @Baidol
    https://youtu.be/xCNwlC9BvG0

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Oh my god, this cross over event. First, I have to play a MOBA to get it, and MOBA's feel like poison to me. Second, I don't have ANY friends who enjoy MOBAs or Overwatch enough to crap out some Co-Op.

God damn Blizzard, could you at LEAST drop the "Play match with friend" requirement?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    It's not a perfect solution, but in addition to everyone here, you'll find tons of people in-game looking to add friends specifically to grind this stuff out.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Oh my god, this cross over event. First, I have to play a MOBA to get it, and MOBA's feel like poison to me. Second, I don't have ANY friends who enjoy MOBAs or Overwatch enough to crap out some Co-Op.

God damn Blizzard, could you at LEAST drop the "Play match with friend" requirement?

Join the chat channel "Heroes of the Wang" it's where the PA dudes hang out. Bunch of people looking for friend games right now.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The skins will be added to loot crates at some point in the future according to a Kaplan post on the forums.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Somebody called me a 'baller-ass Lucio' last night. Is it appropriate to put that on a resume or business card?

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or does D. Va have too many great skins to choose from?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    One day, I will have the junker.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

That's some good Orisa-ing.

Edit: I think the difference between a run-of-the-mill Orisa and a Good One (beyond shield placement) is the good ones basically use her alt fire constantly.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Orisaing is fun. I do like pulling Reins up and away from cover.

• Options
    JackdawGin wrote: »
    Is it just me or does D. Va have too many great skins to choose from?

That's a weird way to spell Tracer. Junker and Police D.Va are best, imo.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Tracer only has two good skins, the CNY and the Uprising ones. The rest are terrible (including her base skin).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If the Rose one from CNY didn't show up for Tracer, I'd still be using Slipstream.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Don't really like her vanilla costume or the purple ones, but all of Tracer's gold stuff is awesome. Punk, T.Racer and Track n' Field are all excellent. Compare to Zarya, who has an excellent vanilla costume and endless trash for alternatives.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Great: Vanilla, Sprinter, Posh, Punk
    Awesome: T. Racer, Sporty, Jingle
    Best: Rose.

Tracer's cup runneth over.

Edit: not a fan of Cadet Oxton tbh

Chance on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Huh. Was there really no patch yesterday? I assumed they wanted to get that change into comp for needing to get at least a third to replace the "touch point and win" crap ASAP.

Guess not!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Learned today that there's actually a Brazillian soccer player that goes by Lucio.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Lucimar Ferreira da Silva, commonly known as Lúcio, is a Brazilian footballer who plays for FC Goa of the Indian Super League as a central defender. He is a strong defender with good aerial play, who also adds presence in the attack.

I found that too good.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    Learned today that there's actually a Brazillian soccer player that goes by Lucio.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Lucimar Ferreira da Silva, commonly known as Lúcio, is a Brazilian footballer who plays for FC Goa of the Indian Super League as a central defender. He is a strong defender with good aerial play, who also adds presence in the attack.

I found that too good.

Does he have a cereal endorsement yet?

• Options
    I just played a quick game, leveled up, got the Tracer event skin. Productive afternoon!

• Options
    spafeyspafey Registered User regular
    Just installed heroes to get the new skins, anyone looking for a buddy? Add me, I'm spafey #21562 on heroes, or fancifulspafey on live!

I ate the entire cake. At one point, I remember becoming aware of the oppressive fullness building inside of me, but I kept eating out of a combination of spite and stubbornness. No one could tell me not to eat an entire cake - not my mom, not Santa, not God - no one. I would eat cake whenever I damn well pleased. It was my cake and everyone else could go fuck themselves.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Meanwhile in South Korea...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao03bDTIsHQ&feature=youtu.be

That self destruct was brilliant.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

That's some good Orisa-ing.

Edit: I think the difference between a run-of-the-mill Orisa and a Good One (beyond shield placement) is the good ones basically use her alt fire constantly.

My orisa play changed significantly once I figured out it detonates on command (how I missed that initially, I don't know). It great for pulling people out of position and occasionally off cliffs.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    How does one use Genji effectively? Whenever I try to give him a shot, I only seem to notice flaws. His HP and defenses are paper thin, his double jumping seems to be predictable to anyone with any sort of tracking skill, his weapon demands extreme precision to do anything but tickle enemies, and he seems just about useless against a team that is holding a defensive position and staying together (he can either hang back and slightly dent a shield before he gets accidentally killed by a Junkrat who was aiming for a proper threat, dash in and die instantly, or maneuver around, hit the Reinhardt from behind once, and then die instantly)

And yet, there must be something to him, because I can't ever seem to stop one when they're my enemy.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I feel like winning 5v6 should get double credit, even if it's just a single round of KotH. Thankfully, he came back... and then we lost two more before winning the last.

Inching ever closer to my all-time high and my gold broom/axe/???

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    How does one use Genji effectively? Whenever I try to give him a shot, I only seem to notice flaws. His HP and defenses are paper thin, his double jumping seems to be predictable to anyone with any sort of tracking skill, his weapon demands extreme precision to do anything but tickle enemies, and he seems just about useless against a team that is holding a defensive position and staying together (he can either hang back and slightly dent a shield before he gets accidentally killed by a Junkrat who was aiming for a proper threat, dash in and die instantly, or maneuver around, hit the Reinhardt from behind once, and then die instantly)

And yet, there must be something to him, because I can't ever seem to stop one when they're my enemy.

1) get behind the thing you want to kill.
    2) main fire (at range) or alt (extremely close), land headshots. Your target turns to faces you and...
    3a) they shoot. Deflect, swiftstrike, they're dead.
    3b) they don't shoot. Continue throwing shirukens until you kill, or they're ready for swiftstrike.
    4) repeat from step 1.

Genji's shirukens do serious damage if you can land them.

Edit:
    • Genji's kit is most powerful against squishies - anything under 400 HP is lunch.
    • His defense is indeed paper thin. You are very vulnerable when in the thick of things in a big teamfight, thus...
    • Like all DPS - but Genji and Tracer most of all - you are most powerful when the enemy doesn't know you're there. Flank, flank, flank. Work your way around the enemy team, use height to your advantage, and cut your way through them on your way back to your line and health packs. Then, repeat.
    • Never feel bad about disengaging and running for a health pack or Mercy.
    • His shirukens have no damage dropoff over distance, and his primary fire is pixel-accurate even at long distances but has a good sized hurtbox.
    • A powerful maneuver is to engage so they turn to you, swiftstrike through them, turn 180 and alt-fire at their heads.

Chance on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Today I attempted to knock out the remaining 4 arcade wins I needed for my weekly boxes via mystery heroes. I played probably 10 in a row and lost badly in entry single one. Finally won one and called it quits for the day.

All of that was balanced out with a level up box dropping the new Widow skin.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm not real happy with the current Competitive situation, where all too often the match boils down to "which side has the most rookies". Yeah, yeah, stars don't technically count towards anything, but there's no way somebody at level 50 spending a whole second hour on 76 is comparable to somebody who has spent 20 hours with 76. I don't care where the fairly-useless placement matches put people, experience matters.

There should be plenty of players in the game to for the matchmaker to be able to do a better job of sorting rookies together instead of pitching mostly-rookie teams against mostly-veteran teams. It's not a fun experience for rookies to get stomped, and it's definitely no fun being a veteran on one of those teams and knowing the only thing you can do is blow the next 10-15 minutes on a match you can't win.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Today I attempted to knock out the remaining 4 arcade wins I needed for my weekly boxes via mystery heroes. I played probably 10 in a row and lost badly in entry single one. Finally won one and called it quits for the day.

I highly recommend using the easy mode uprising game for your arcade boxes while it lasts.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

I highly recommend using the easy mode uprising game for your arcade boxes while it lasts.

I did that for the first one but it's pretty boring.

• Options
    OK, I definitely need to take a break or practice more or something. I just got kicked for inactivity because my team was losing, I went to the hero swap screen to try and find someone who I could contribute more with, and proceeded to stare at it, unable to find any character that I believed I could use well. I was frozen like that until the inactivity timer kicked me.

I'm either not practicing enough, or playing and worrying too much.

• Options
    Sometimes the hero who'll work well against half the enemy team is countered by the other half, making it a tough call. It's often worth it to pick just one enemy you feel may be carrying and focus on dealing with them OR noticing who on your team could carry, and dedicate yourself to supporting their efforts.

Often a counter can be so effective (Junkrat spam vs. barrier-heavy comp, or just to limit the options of an enemy Tracer) you don't need much experience on them. Heck, before hero stacking was removed from comp I went up against two Bastions defending Volskaya B and this happened:

https://youtu.be/q6grp6R5uG8

Sometimes you're gonna' lose and you just need to do your best. The more heroes you practice with and understand, the better you'll play against them, the easier it'll be to flex to them when needed.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    OK, I definitely need to take a break or practice more or something. I just got kicked for inactivity because my team was losing, I went to the hero swap screen to try and find someone who I could contribute more with, and proceeded to stare at it, unable to find any character that I believed I could use well. I was frozen like that until the inactivity timer kicked me.

Do you suffer the same indecision playing rock, paper, scissors?

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Why the shit am I going to lose 30 points for a leaver? I mean what the fuck, I haven't lost 30 points from any single legit game in weeks, why do I lose 30 when I have absolutely nothing to do with it?

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Why the shit am I going to lose 30 points for a leaver? I mean what the fuck, I haven't lost 30 points from any single legit game in weeks, why do I lose 30 when I have absolutely nothing to do with it?

Karma?

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Imperfect wrote: »

Do you suffer the same indecision playing rock, paper, scissors?

Look, sometimes you really need to weigh the consequences of picking rock.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »

Karma?

Guess so, because then I had a game where I outright carried on Mercy by saving suicidal teammates, barely win, and get 8 freaking points for it.

Times like that make it hard to "just play"

Well the only good thing is got a chest for leveling, and got blackwatch Genji. That helps. A little.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    asylumhouseasylumhouse Indie Game Developer SingaporeRegistered User regular
    Is this a Overwatch or Heroes of the Storm thread?

This discussion has been closed.