As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 10.0] Patch live! New Lunar Map and Hog/Reaper/McCree changes!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I stopped maining Mercy for that reason.

But the idea that people would hate a char in a role that is usually hard to fill seems kind of odd to me. Who cares if they can't aim if they do their job and support you? Mercy is pretty much always a good pick as a support unless someone else already took her.

Besides, the game was intentionally designed to have a place for people with poor aim in FPS games to shine. Just because they can only be high rank on Mercy because no aim doesn't mean they aren't high rank. They are in Overwatch because that is the game that it is.

Of course I am biased as fuck, because even now after purposely attempting to perfect my aim and timing I still suck on almost any hitscan char. Still not 100% sure why I actually can with projectile chars though sometimes to the point of it looking like I am good at it.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Rein mains also don't need aim..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Well, you have to aim the shield the right way

and aim the shoulder charge

and aim the fire strike

So yeah, I would say he needs aim

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well, you have to aim the shield the right way

and aim the shoulder charge

and aim the fire strike

So yeah, I would say he needs aim

Eh. He's about on the same level as Mercy as far as required aim. She has to be pointing in somewhat the right direction to lock on to folks or to Guardian Angel.

There is still a huge difference between them and Mccree/Widow.

Also recent Mystery Heroes points towards me no longer being completely worthless with Widow which makes me feel dirty.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I would say more so than aim, positioning is more important regardless of character. Like, flankers that constantly overextend and die pointlessly, doesn't matter if they have godlike aim if they fight 1v6 on even footing. Same with Mercy. If she focuses one person or follows a flanker, they made an error in where they placed themselves and likely killed themselves. With Rein, I can't just charge randomly and hope for the best (though that is fun). Targeting a Mercy or Bastion with the charge is every bit as important as learning how to shoot with sniper guys.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm not sure universally I'd agree, a Widow can be in the perfect spot but if they can't hit shit are basically worthless, but I'd definitely take someone with okay aim and positioning over somebody who was great at one and horrible at the other.

Really, the fact that characters need varying levels of those two things is part of the charm for me. There are a bunch of other skills that also matter differing amounts to characters. Folks like Lucio and Genji need you to have a really good sense of movement, how to control it and just what it looks like to the other side. For other characters that isn't anywhere near as relevant. There are a bunch of things like that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I really wish I could play Tracer or Sombra like some of the ones I see against my team. Last night we had a Tracer who would simply pick a target in the back line, kill them, then run away. Over and over again. Then a Sombra that did the same thing. We'd try to get everyone to turn to kill them, but they'd already be gone with a kill under their belt.

Now I fully admit, because of our group. Both of those players were way way higher ranked than 5 out of 6 of our team. But every time I see a flanker like this, it really impresses me.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I really wish I could play Tracer or Sombra like some of the ones I see against my team. Last night we had a Tracer who would simply pick a target in the back line, kill them, then run away. Over and over again. Then a Sombra that did the same thing. We'd try to get everyone to turn to kill them, but they'd already be gone with a kill under their belt.

Now I fully admit, because of our group. Both of those players were way way higher ranked than 5 out of 6 of our team. But every time I see a flanker like this, it really impresses me.

Tracer is kinda hard to play where you're one clipping everyone

• Options
    edited June 2017

Yeah but Rein is usually super sweet anyway and a good Rein will have solid positioning because they can't fly aroundeverywhere. Like a good rein needs to know that he's creating space? He might have trouble with dps classes but I bet they could play tanks like Dva or Winston really well

tyrannus on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    https://mindgames.blog/2017/06/22/in-defense-of-purist-skill-rating/

Jake from LG Evil posting his views about SR:

"I will suggest that removing all influencers of Skill Rating besides winning & losing (adjusted to game difficulty) will result in a number of improvements to the Ranked Matchmaking experience, especially with an eye towards the OWL and the eSports possibilities for Overwatch in general."

His basic argument is that the only way to align player incentives in ranked is to eliminate all personal metrics so the only thing that matters is a win or loss (adjusted for relative skill of the teams, probably average SR). It's worth reading, partially because he's a very good DPS player, partially because it's far better thought through than most players can manage.

I'm really skeptical that there are so many people out there who are successfully bullshitting the MMR system to raise their rank even if it means they lose more games. Even if they do that, they're the ones who suffer for it, because they get ranked against better players and are increasingly more likely to lose. He hasn't presented any evidence that the rankings are actually inaccurate because of this behavior. I think a pure win/loss system that takes forever to accurately place someone (because of all the entropy introduced by teammates) causes far more problems in the long run. The longer you have people with mismatched MMRs running around in the system, the more it fucks up everybody else's MMRs in turn, because the outcome of a game with mismatched players in it is invalid and effectively corrupting the algorithm.

I think the discussion of incentives is worth considering, though, particularly when optimizing things like ult charge. By taking personal performance into account, the optimal team play for a support may be letting the other support heal a teammate to build overall ult charge. However, the personal incentive is to maximize one's own healing. Even if players aren't consciously taking those things into account, those incentives still play at the unconscious level. You may still be right, but it's worth considering.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Mercy one-tricks are hated the most because they apparently have no bleedover aim wise into any of the other characters

so you can be a plat, diamond, or masters mercy but be basically bronze or silver everyone else

Precisely. And if a team has multiple mercy one-tricks, they're basically doomed to lose.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    so i was exploring the new map with a friend last night and they found out you can actually look through the telescope in the attacking spawn and there's a little voiceover from winston

also there's a button you can jump on to the right of it to open/close the observatory doors

as well as a couple text logs from winston/other researchers scattered throughout the level

e: apparently everyone gets their own telescope lines, that's rad

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    So on the topic of one-tricks, is there a good site that discusses the best/most common comps for a season? I played a little competitive yesterday and people were constantly complaining about the comps. I recognize that's just what some people do, but I'd like to have a little more insight so I can be constructive than my "I'm already playing a support what do you people want?"

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    usually you want at least one hitscan dps to take out pharahs and such.
    other than that 2-2-2 is fine
    the main thing is swapping shit up to counter the enemy team
    as far as support goes. you usually dont want two single target healers .
    ana + anyone is good and lucio+ mercy/zen is good.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Some other things to consider is stuff like Zarya not being a good solo tank or Zen not being a good solo healer. You can also think about ult combos like Zarya and Tracer or Pharah.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    https://mindgames.blog/2017/06/22/in-defense-of-purist-skill-rating/

Jake from LG Evil posting his views about SR:

"I will suggest that removing all influencers of Skill Rating besides winning & losing (adjusted to game difficulty) will result in a number of improvements to the Ranked Matchmaking experience, especially with an eye towards the OWL and the eSports possibilities for Overwatch in general."

His basic argument is that the only way to align player incentives in ranked is to eliminate all personal metrics so the only thing that matters is a win or loss (adjusted for relative skill of the teams, probably average SR). It's worth reading, partially because he's a very good DPS player, partially because it's far better thought through than most players can manage.

I've been beating this drum forever but I'm glad someone that isn't a casual plat console player is taking it up

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

The number of rip tires I've saved my team from (seriously why do hitscans just bail instead of trying to shoot it) would disagree :D

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    7BFksNt.png

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I don't have much of an issue with the system's attempts at performance-based corrections. I have a very large group of friends that play fairly consistently and the last two seasons have shaken out - both in placements and in final ratings / roughly average ratings - pretty much in the skill order that we know is correct. Anecdotal, yes, but in principal it absolutely makes sense that not all wins should be worth the same. Your 2-9 Gengu getting carried shouldn't get as much value out of their win out of the support player who did everything.

Of course, this system has flaws - incentivizing stat-padding, sometimes at the expense of wins, or failing to recognize contributions that can't be easily quantified - but the flaws of simply making it W/L based are a bit less acceptable to me.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think you can easily be a player with bad aim who does well at the highest levels of ranked. You just need to be able to play most if not all of the low-aim heroes so you have team comp options. It's okay if you can't play any offense except Reaper, just work it out with your team and maybe have somebody else switch if you need a McCree etc.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So, apparently in the internal files (eg crash logs), the current PTR build is called "Doomfist / Summer Games."

A new SFX was also added to DVa/Genji for eating/deflecting ults, but it's really not obvious at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CDAkpUkXQQ

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I want Doomfist to be someone that decimates barriers and defensive matrices

That'd be a good thing

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I think you can easily be a player with bad aim who does well at the highest levels of ranked. You just need to be able to play most if not all of the low-aim heroes so you have team comp options. It's okay if you can't play any offense except Reaper, just work it out with your team and maybe have somebody else switch if you need a McCree etc.

Definitely, but not necessarily "easily". Bad mechanics on an aim-free hero are only going to get compensated for by game sense and judgment that's completely up to snuff, and IMHO it's going to be easier and quicker for the average person to improve their aim with deliberate practice than it is to get a better feel on when to go with a tempo double rez as Mercy or something similar. The learning curve on stuff that requires presence of mind is underrated. Ever been new to MOBA's? Learning to last hit consistently is 10x more straightforward than developing exceptional map awareness.

I know you didn't necessarily take the position that I'm discussing, but I wanted a reason to go on this jag because I think the perception of bad players 'cheating' their way to high ranks with mechanically easy characters is quite unfair.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I played a few matches as new Reaper and what his new passive does is basically give you an extra shot when in the thick of fighting. If you're outside of 10 meters (15 if you're super l33t Reaper I guess) the health regen isn't that noticeable but up close you're able to basically negate what a Roadhog hook n' shoot does to you with two shots. It does make his ultimate more of a trouble because where as before a McCree or Widow could just plink him from a distance after killing one person, here he gets enough health back to stay spinning all time unless you all gang up on him.

To me, he's good enough to warrant making him a second attack choice after McCree since I won't play 76 (and always feel like when I play Tracer my good pestering skills are wasted by a team unwilling to push or kill the Genji with 5 health left)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Why are you engaging the Genji as Tracer

That's not really your job

I mean generally you should be avoiding flankers as a flanker

• Options
    I'm not engaging any one person, it's an example of just blinking around in the back of the ranks to let the big guns push forward, that's what I consider pestering. I'm not looking to outright kill anyone except a Mercy, but you can whittle the others down for others to handle. They just never do because it's super important to charge that tank head on.

• Options
    All I can about the last few days, is playing with a full party of adults who aren't toxic and on comms is heavenly.

Even when we lost I was still in a better mood.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas:

Hanzo Bendy Arrows

A replacement for the Scatter Arrow. A Bendy Arrow, once fired, follows an alternative arc. It's a bit difficult to describe the behavior I'm seeing in my head, so bear with me: The arrow's target position is in the direction that Hanzo's reticle is pointing, at an ever-increasing distance no slower than the arrow's own flight speed. The arrow attempts to point toward the designated spot by rotating its direction of motion toward it continuously.

The idea, ultimately, is that Hanzo can fire a Bendy Arrow, keep his reticle pointed at the target, and the Bendy Arrow will home in on them. Or, you could also trick-shot it around a corner by making a huge flick after the initial launch. This maintains the function of the Scatter Arrow (being to attack enemies behind cover) with much less input from randomness. I seem to recall Hanzo performing some tricks like this in the Dragons short, so I think it's not that far outside of the realm of possibility.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    fire an arrow that makes you POV control it like the rip tire (which means you're also vulnerable at the time), only it's at regular speed so you can't really just fly around in circles forever, at best it can turn a corner once. Give it the same cooldown time as a sonar arrow and that might work.

• Options
    I feel like Scatters are fine, maybe just add another another second or two to cooldown

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas:

Hanzo Bendy Arrows

A replacement for the Scatter Arrow. A Bendy Arrow, once fired, follows an alternative arc. It's a bit difficult to describe the behavior I'm seeing in my head, so bear with me: The arrow's target position is in the direction that Hanzo's reticle is pointing, at an ever-increasing distance no slower than the arrow's own flight speed. The arrow attempts to point toward the designated spot by rotating its direction of motion toward it continuously.

The idea, ultimately, is that Hanzo can fire a Bendy Arrow, keep his reticle pointed at the target, and the Bendy Arrow will home in on them. Or, you could also trick-shot it around a corner by making a huge flick after the initial launch. This maintains the function of the Scatter Arrow (being to attack enemies behind cover) with much less input from randomness. I seem to recall Hanzo performing some tricks like this in the Dragons short, so I think it's not that far outside of the realm of possibility.

So the HL2 RPG?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I have now fallen 350 SR after more than 10 games with at least two absolute assholes who refuse to ever switch off of a character that clearly isn't working, or even better, troll pick the second game "because it's lost anyways"

I'm think I'm done with this game for a few days at least

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    tyrannus wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »

Tracer is kinda hard to play where you're one clipping everyone

A full clip, if you hit every shot, will take anything under 250hp. It's a lot easier when you get a good feel for headshots on her.

She can theoretically kill two squishies with a single clip - not that I'd try.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I have now fallen 350 SR after more than 10 games with at least two absolute assholes who refuse to ever switch off of a character that clearly isn't working, or even better, troll pick the second game "because it's lost anyways"

If there was one thing I would add to the Competitive right now, it would be getting the "avoid player" option back but you can only use it on your own teammates.

Because if they would give us just one freaking way to filter out the one or two asshole teammates in every match who won't switch for shit no matter how horribly they're doing, the play experience would instantly improve immensely.

• Options

If there was one thing I would add to the Competitive right now, it would be getting the "avoid player" option back but you can only use it on your own teammates.

Because if they would give us just one freaking way to filter out the one or two asshole teammates in every match who won't switch for shit no matter how horribly they're doing, the play experience would instantly improve immensely.

I'd pay money for this option, seriously.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Gonna be dead honest, but I lost a TON of interest in comp when I got my gold weapon finally. Just being forced to use the same few chars that I was any good at, and seeing stuff like that lost it's charm. I just think I am overall a 2k player and I should just accept it.

When I do QP with PA people we can kind of play mostly what we want, and I enjoy learning characters out of my safe zone and in all honesty it is making me overall better at the game. I HOPE to someday be good at hitscan, and that will NEVER happen in comp because I am basically asking to lose a game if I pick one right now.

• Options
    I made it my goal to reach at least 3k with a different character "main" each season. My thinking is, my character pool increasing should enable me to play more roles effectively and thus get better overall.

I'll see what a short pause brings, maybe I was tired as well. I don't think so, though, because I individually played some of the best games I ever had, basically 1v4 killing enemy teams and what not.

I mean, when you see a reaper or roadhog run away from a winston that's jumping your healer, or a McCree just standing behind your Reinhardt shield doing nothing, while an enemy Zenyatta merrily keeps shooting at my shield, without moving.. You do wonder if some of these accounts aren't boosted or bought

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I think that, honestly, if you are solo queueing comp the skill to rally the troops is going to result in more wins than just playing super well.

I actually can recount so many times where I would play a superb game and lose, and play subpar and win. There are only a few cases where I played my heart out in a hard fought win and honestly felt like I personally earned it.

Of course, you have much less control over the former skill than the latter -_-

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

I'd pay money for this option, seriously.

Constantly getting stuck with shitty uncooperative players who won't switch characters is basically my entire problem with the game right now, and it's pretty damn near a constant problem. It makes getting worthwhile games a total crapshoot, and I just don't have the time or the patience to consistently deal with rolling the dice on whether or not I get to play with people who actually try to win or with people who will happily fuck over everybody else in every single game they're in.

At least back when I played TF2 there were autobalance plugins to spread out the shitty selfish players.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Yeah that's really how it should have worked from day one. Because there really isn't anything a troll can do to me if they're on the other team that they shouldn't be doing.

Maybe blizzard thinks it's an unfair advantage but eventually the worst trolls should get filtered into no man's land.

Hell alot of toxic players would probably avoid anyone who doesn't kneel before their might and filter themselves out.

This discussion has been closed.