As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playerunknown's Battlegrounds] Only You Can Prevent Blue Circle Deaths!

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Games and Technology
p5hzctjxhuqs.jpg

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is a 3rd Person Shooter Battle Royal game published by Bluehole Inc. and made by Brendan Greene, a modder on Arma 2, who built his own game after the success (but never ending beta) of DayZ and H1Z1. In this game, players skydive on to a large island, filled with towns, ruins, and military bases, all filled with randomly spawned weapons. The players gather gear and start killing each other until they are the last man standing. The game makes sure that players are pushed together by placing a circle on the field in random locations and periodically decreasing in size. Those outside the Blue Wall suffer damage until dead or inside the wall. Each match takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and is really intense. It is currently available as an Early Access Game on Steam. The game has three game modes currently; Solo, Duos, and 4 Man Teams. There are plans for a 1st Person Only version of all the modes. There are also plans for an Xbox One release to the game in September of this year and a PS4 release later.

https://youtu.be/MkI-fT1n6zY

https://youtu.be/FfnwIBmxmcs

https://youtu.be/_xrW2KEt7Y0
cdom6kz9rj8n.jpg

Penny Arcade Steam List of Players!

Grunt's Ghosts on

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I've been thinking that it was strange there was no thread for this on the forums, as it's pretty much always in the top 3 most watched games on Twitch and seems like the type of thing that would be amazing with PA groups.

I honestly think the price point is very reasonable, but don't quite have the disposable income or stable enough internet to make the plunge myself. I'm keeping an eye on it though, as it seems like something I could spend a lot of time on.

• Options
    I got my copy from watching a Twitch streamer who gave it out to viewers. It's pretty good. It seems like something I'd get over after a few hours, but it's been all I've played this weekend. Haven't done duos or teams as I don't have a mic but I think if I did, I'd do Discord chat since like any online game, the player chat is just filled with 12 year old kids thinking they are edgy by screaming the N-word or raping your mom shit. Luckily, you can turn chat off in the settings.

• Options
    Added the Loot Guide Map from the first video up in the OP. Hopefully anyone playing will be able to use it to score some good gear at the start. I've tried most of the red places and they are rich in good guns, level 3 gear, and what not, but like DP says in the video, they are quickly swarmed by people, especially if the plane flies directly over them.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I've my eye on this, but currently wait for their 1st-person only "hardcore" mode.

Playing these types of games with ESP is, eeeehhh, not fun to me.

But man, as soon as that mode drops I'm gonna be all over this.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yea, when they get the 1st person only view, and open the FOV to at least 120 ill be grabbing this.

I've watched all of jackfrags, levelcaps, and matimi0s feeds and they are having a blast

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    I play alot of Duo and Squad with friends and its a blast. I really enjoy jumping out, getting some gear and than getting in to cool firefights. Solomode is also good but with a friend or in a group the fights are so much more fun since its not just one on one.

• Options
    I haven't done duos or squad yet.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    This game is so much fun

• Options
    BigDaddyDowd BigDaddyDowd Registered User regular
    if anyone is looking to play add me on steam or discord. BigDaddyDowd is my id for both.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    For anyone wondering, the performance isn't great right now, but they said they are working on it. It seems to be a bit CPU heavy, so you might want to wait for a patch or two if that is the weak end of your system.

This game is so intense. It's the first game in years that has made me drop my mouse from being startled (some guy with a shotgun out of nowhere). It gets worse as the round goes on too, getting down to the top 10 is so stressful.

There is a lot of room for strategy too. You can drop with the herd into a popular town, hope you make it through the opening scramble, and just pull loot off dead bodies. The few people that leave the town alive will be geared up for the rest of the match. I like to pick a small town on the late end of the air drop, and not right under the plane. You can get a good amount of distance out of the plane, if you hold W and stay horizontal. It takes longer to get geared up, but most of the time you will approach the circle from a different angle than most people, which is a huge advantage.

• Options
    Learn a couple of spots where vehicles spawn in so that youcan skydive onto one of them and drive to a town or base out of reach for other players (at least for a while or unless someone else did the same).

• Options
    Last night I let my brother play this and he got a pistol, hid under some stairs, then just waited. The final circle ened up just outside his building and he ran out just to be shotgunned by a guy who was just as under geared as he was. Scared the shit out of him.

Then I played, dropped down north east of the Harbor Town (the town that's flooded), landed with five other guys and got a machete and preceeded to cut them down like I was Jason Voorhees until one got a Uzi and when full auto on me.

It's the little things that makes me smile.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Any PAers up for organizing some team plays?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I'm down for sure. Game is good.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Hey all. I streamed a few hours yesterday on the youtubes. here's a taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dd2EpHJL0Q

a very bitter end.

The game is dayz without the fluff or zombies plus the circle mechanic to force engagements. Its bite sized, 10 to 20 mins per session? very fun. very janky and in early access.

Will be on more tonight!
    Am @mojojoeo on steam add me and lets rule the island together.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    these kinds of games never grab me, mostly because they stay in early access for decades and never get not janky, but I bought it after watching fairlight_excalibur and NgVis streams, played it pretty much all day yesterday in quad queue and now I'm jonesing for it at work. I find their transparency in communication refreshing. I also like how they've at least talked about their release schedule as far as daily/weekly/monthly releases and what they entail. If they can more or less keep to that schedule then I think it might actually escape the early access trap sooner rather than decades later.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Game needs a way to disable 3rd person; if this was just first person only it'd be so damn perfect.

Still, people who turn down their graphics settings get a really big advantage since it disables like 90% of the grass and foliage.

@mojojoeo I'll message you tonight and we can team up, yeah? I'm not great but I'm not terrible.

• Options
    I'm down. I'm GruntsGhosts on stream. I should make a Google sheet for everyone to throw their names on.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Game needs a way to disable 3rd person; if this was just first person only it'd be so damn perfect.

Still, people who turn down their graphics settings get a really big advantage since it disables like 90% of the grass and foliage.

@mojojoeo I'll message you tonight and we can team up, yeah? I'm not great but I'm not terrible.

Coolio, we usually run 2-3s. should be able to get a full group maybe tonight.

The proposed 'hardcore' 1st person mode locks the graphical settings for grass and shadows to high.

You cant cheat foliage :D and damn your fps if your pc isnt up to snuff!

Im desperate for that mode.... they are adding it as fast as possible.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    When the first person mode comes, I hope to hell they increase the lean amount for peaking, because currently its the weeniest amount of tilt I've ever seen in a game. Dude moves his head like 3 inches to the side.
    I don't mind the 3rd person just for situational and body awareness which is so important for games like these, to make sure you're ass isnt poking around a corner, but it is pretty ridiculous that it gives you xray vision for just looking around corners.
    They could do the mechwarrior online thing where if you use 3rd person, it launches a little camera drone into the air that everyone can see.

Is it ever nighttime? It was raining a few times when I played, and that was cool. I remember dayz at night being a friggin nightmare.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Agreed. The only way you can currently effectively lean around a corner is if your body is already around the corner

• Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    When the first person mode comes, I hope to hell they increase the lean amount for peaking, because currently its the weeniest amount of tilt I've ever seen in a game. Dude moves his head like 3 inches to the side.
    I don't mind the 3rd person just for situational and body awareness which is so important for games like these, to make sure you're ass isnt poking around a corner, but it is pretty ridiculous that it gives you xray vision for just looking around corners.
    They could do the mechwarrior online thing where if you use 3rd person, it launches a little camera drone into the air that everyone can see.

Is it ever nighttime? It was raining a few times when I played, and that was cool. I remember dayz at night being a friggin nightmare.

Nightmode is planned, along with first person only servers and a ton of other things.

• Options
    Got a Steam List for everyone to put their names in to help find others to group with.

List is here and in the OP.

• Options
    I can't wait for first person only servers, but the game doesn't quite feel right in first person yet. The lean is part of it, but the FOV is another issue. There is also something else I can't quite place that feels off.

3rd person is a little cheesy, but you just have to cheese right along with it. Learn the system, so you know what corners you can peak, and how other people are going to use it against you. It will be fun to see how first person only server change the flow of the game though. It could make camping in houses a bit stronger (can't corner peak through the outside windows), but it also makes it harder to hold a house because you will expose yourself anytime you look out a top floor window.

• Options
    I wonder if you couldn't solve the corner cheesing by not rendering players unless you or your teammates have line of sight on them?

• Options
    That seems like a whole lot of gamey fudgery for what is ostensibly an arma-style sim.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I dunno, I think being unable to see what you shouldn't be able to see would make more sense in ostensibly an arma-style sim. It'd basically be a fog of war in an action game

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm online. Anyone down for Duos or Team?

• Options
    Today I shot at a guy driving a dune buggy with my m16 from maybe 400m away. He freaked out and started swerving, then lost control and flipped off a cliff and died.
    This game is awesome.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder if you couldn't solve the corner cheesing by not rendering players unless you or your teammates have line of sight on them?

This could bring up a whole other list of issues. What happens when an object has a slightly larger hitbox than what is visible? Wouldn't it be annoying to have some tiny object (like a window bar) completely hide someone out in the open? Some people would have issues with you being able to magically see what your teammates can see too.

Even with a 3rd person solution, I don't think they would bother. Why go through all the trouble when most of the playerbase is fine with the way 3rd person works now, and the rest are fine with first person only servers?

• Options
    Sometimes this game is great, sometimes it makes me want to rip my hair out.

All day today it seems that I've been running into laggy servers. Shot a guy who was standing still while I was on the second floor of a building, AKM with a 4x scope. Dude gets hit, but walks off then I see the blood splatter two seconds later. He takes a shot at me, I move out of the way, crouch down and reload then die from a headshot.

Later, I shot a guy in the back with a double barrel shot guy, then switched to pistol and put two more shots in him before he turns around and hit me with a shotgun, killing me after I get off two more shots.

I know it isn't my internet because I left and played Battlefield 1 perfectly fine afterwords.

I hope they seriously fix their servers. In a game where procession is key and lag is death, having two seconds of lag is too much.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    s6vJQAd.jpg?1
    My first win! I went for a long distance drop to the villa (just outside of it), and someone landed right next to me. We both rushed to the good loot spots, but I jumped and saw a M16 on a patio on one of those bad loot houses on the outside of the compound. I quickly got it and shot the guy in the back as he entered the big 3 story house. I got super lucky and got a 4x scope, 2 med kits, AK, ammo, enough other meds/energy, and 3/2/2 gear... I didn't loot anything else the rest of the game. I took a vehicle to the farm ridge, the cliffs in between the two bridges to the military island. It's a great spot to defend, cover on one side, other 3 sides have impassible cliffs. The circle ended up on the military island, so I had to drive across one of the bridges (one of the more dangerous parts of the match). I found a house with an attic that only had one small window, so I camped there most of the rest of the match. A few people died downstairs, or trying to get to the house. My second kill was against someone that tried to rush the stairs with a shotgun, we both almost killed each other. I backed off and used a medkit, he healed too, but came back trying to throw a grenade. He got the throw off, but I easily killed him. Even in the tiny attic it didn't do any damage.

At this point there was only 3 remaining. The circle forced me out of the house, but I filled up on energy, used a first aid kit as the circle hit me, and came out of the house after the blue wall had passed. I think this saved me because neither of the two remaining saw me leave what was easily the most dangerous spot of the previous circle. I had to use my last med kit on the last fight. Luckily, the final circle forced both of us out of cover. I gambled and waited for him to move first and nailed the head shots. When this game is good, man, it's good.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    we made it to 2nd in group last night.

We started across the map from the first point. Our car ran out of gas in the blue. we hoofed it. lost a comrade to the blue, kept on death marching.... kept on barely surviving

fought our way up and back down the mountain by the mil base.

the next to final circle was 12 folks...the final circle was a divot in a small wooded area 3 v 3.

tensions were high.... 2nd place.

I WANT THAT CHICKEN DINNER SO BADLY.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Been watching streams of this a lot lately, mostly from the big streamers.

Purely from a spectator standpoint I kind of wish players were dropped at random points on the map instead of being able to dive out and basically choose where they want to go at the start.

As it stands now I'm really sick of watching matches play out at the 3 maybe 4 spots everyone goes to loot at the beginning, like the college or the town that's right near the college.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    You can get to pretty much any point on the map really if you just glide a bit when you jump out or make sure to learn a few places where cars spawn. But yeah players all love to dive head first into popular hotspots for some reason.

• Options
    For streamers it's probably better for their stream to have constant action. If you drop into a popular spot, you are going to have that action, and either you die (and get a new match right away), or you come out of it with good loot. It's a little less interesting to watch someone drop into the middle of nowhere and not see anyone for the first 10 minutes.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    the dirty secret being you can get loot from the low loot houses just as good...

its just not as guranteed. ill take a shotgun and a 45 early with no drama while i get vests grenades and meds. I can find a longer gun as i go.

also people are sloppy looters. I oft find good stuff behind folks as they did not do a good enough search.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    the dirty secret being you can get loot from the low loot houses just as good...

its just not as guranteed. ill take a shotgun and a 45 early with no drama while i get vests grenades and meds. I can find a longer gun as i go.

also people are sloppy looters. I oft find good stuff behind folks as they did not do a good enough search.

Yeah my early game is usually just being where people aren't; at a minimum you'll get a pistol. The only thing might screw you early is finding a shotgun and have nothing but open ground to cover.

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Yeah my early game is usually just being where people aren't; at a minimum you'll get a pistol. The only thing might screw you early is finding a shotgun and have nothing but open ground to cover.

Double barrel can be good out to 100m... past that.... you have only your moxie and whatever god you pray to.

This discussion has been closed.