As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I've been thinking of Hardtype. Maybe I'll try that if it's adapted to Raidou-mode.
    It's hard to go back to the Western Front of old skill-inheritance. I'd be fine with a mod that just scraps the big lotto funtimes.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's just part of the Nocturne experience for me. How else would I listen to this for hours on end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_zL_q0ttTA

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wow, he put in the 25th Anniversary logo. Nice touch.

y80ii366r7ci.png

(I can't get it running on my PS2. If anyone has any hints, all ears...)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The only real gameplay-difference in Raidou-version is that Raidou is slightly buffed compared to Dante, to not be useless in True Demon.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    The only real gameplay-difference in Raidou-version is that Raidou is slightly buffed compared to Dante, to not be useless in True Demon.

I hear they made Lucifer a lot tougher too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Brace yourselves for this one.

DOLbjOBVoAEHNi9.jpg

Emphasis:
    DOLbmMvUEAAVlUN.jpg

We're seeing this trend slowly infect SMT, too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    God dammit.

I don't see why they couldn't have kept her looking scary and/or deranged, it would fit with her story.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I see people commenting that it should be this way explicitly for the sake of having a "diverse" cast.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If you click through there is an early design of Ohya that is objectively superior to the one they went with

• Options
    If you click through there is an early design of Ohya that is objectively superior to the one they went with

Ponytail and whisky? I agree wholeheartedly.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

And a cooling patch because she's probably hungover all the time.

Nice.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

And a cooling patch because she's probably hungover all the time.

Nice.

Made me think of Game Center CX.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    "OK, so what's this Demeter's deal?"

"She's contrasted with a younger goddess as the parent-half of a parent-child pair, she acts as a nanny for some other important children, and she teaches people how farming works as an old mentor-figure. The second part of the name means mother."

*draws loli*

• Options
    edited November 2017
    After wasting four+ hours on the Saturn version of Devil Summoner(and still not killing Shiki Ouji), I threw in the proverbial towel and just read the LP.
    (Or not, lol, I killed him on the way out. Point still stands though.)

lparchive.org/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Devil-Summoner/

Looks like it's a damn good thing I did. Frankly, the language barrier seems too vicious to survive this game without understanding negotiation, fusion, equipment, or items. Not to mention the dungeons from hell. That said, the story does live up to its reputation, and it's insane how many new demons debuted for this game. No wonder it was so popular.

I'll sit on my Saturn version for the time being, and see if I can't light a fire to get that fan translation finished.

That LP is a great read. It even covers the damn TV series.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    That reminds me that one day I should get around to finishing Soul Hackers. One day, when I feel like putting up with this dungeon of Mudo spam that ends the game immediately if one of the casts lands on your character. Because that's good gameplay.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Javelin Rain, Divine Shot and Spiral Viper are pretty cool.

• Options
    Speaking of Soul Hackers...

I had my Saturn fired up, and I love Soul Hackers, so I decided to do this for kicks.

All screenshots are mine, original hardware.

This is a 1996 Sega Saturn hooked up to an Insignia HDTV through composite if it matters.

So originally I figured that since the Saturn version has larger portraits, the backgrounds would have more detail on the original version.

Boy was I wrong.
    Opening
    DOeh-6BUIAAAzyx.jpg
    DOeh-6bU8AAiLYO.jpg
    DOeh-6CUQAARAG_.jpg
    DOeh-6GV4AALvY0.jpg

DOeiHgUVAAE0Hxf.jpg
    DOeiHgXU8AERl9T.jpg
    DOeiHgYV4AASQxE.jpg
    DOeiHgXU8AMn4FT.jpg

Introduction:
    DOeiQpGVwAAeKYc.jpg
    DOeiQpEU8AE5miP.jpg
    DOeiQpFUQAAb0df.jpg

Hitomi & Hardcore Hackin:
    DOeie8VUIAEcbVg.jpg
    DOeie8XUQAA3yvo.jpg
    DOeie8YUEAAuMKh.jpg

DOeik1nVoAAV8EJ.jpg
    DOeik1pVQAAl8AK.jpg
    DOeik1nU8AA7SJj.jpg

This is where I realized something.

DOejR0wVwAEHb7c.jpg

The 3DS version uses larger resolution backgrounds, so you actually see MORE of the picture in the re-release.

Presumably they had access to the original assets, meaning this is way more of a definitive version than I thought.

Name Entry:
    DOeoyklVQAAXm_K.jpg
    DOeoyknVoAEl8Fw.jpg
    DOeoykoUEAA7Qyq.jpg
    DOeoyknUMAE9msU.jpg

Paradigm Open Beta/Meeting the Parents:
    DOeo6D_U8AAHZoc.jpg
    DOeo6ECVQAA50XY.jpg
    DOeo6EAUEAAv1GL.jpg
    DOeo6EBU8AA93Y8.jpg

Did you notice a change there?...

DOepH2NVQAUvpKd.jpg
    They changed the protagonist's phone. Hardcore hacker upgrade!

Meeting the family:
    DOepScyVQAARRsO.jpg
    DOepSc0UEAABVk5.jpg

Last but not least, Spooky Mail & the world map comparison:
    DOepoXWUQAEOb4Y.jpg
    DOepphVUMAAFAAR.jpg
    DOepphVVQAUpHC2.jpg
    DOepphWV4AAvBne.jpg

It's especially clear with the world map, this is the definitive version of Soul Hackers. (Garbage 3DS audio quality aside)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Handhelds tend to traditionally have pretty crappy internal speakers, but they invariably sound find with a headset. At least as far as I'm concerned with game sound anyway.

• Options
    Apparently Scathach and Skadi can't have any phys-skills in Hardtype. Hm.

• Options
    Apparently Scathach and Skadi can't have any phys-skills in Hardtype. Hm.

Interesting, but they're not demons I think of when it comes to phys skills anyway.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Skadi used to be one of the heaviest hitters because of Earthquake.

Seems like it's pretty trivial to hexedit the crossover-demons into savefiles from Devil Survivor 2 Break Record, if you can extract the file in the first place.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    SMT V officially announced for Western release.

https://youtu.be/YLSrGiiy95U

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    They need to bring back the Japanese symbols.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I finally got into p5 and I just can't accept that's Igor's voice

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I finally got into p5 and I just can't accept that's Igor's voice

It's really jarring. Makes it sound like he picked up a habit of chainsmoking essence of great old ones between games.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I like the P5 Igor voice, it's very like midnight-movie.

Spoiler for hour 158 of the game:
    Of course, the return of the real Igor was also very fun!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    @durandal4532 maybe make it clearer that the spoiler in your posts is a super late-game spoiler?

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Yeah do not click that spoiler unless you are basically finished with the game

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    it is too late, but in the usual scheme of SMT spoilers, that is basically meaningless to me.

edit: been checking the network stats since the game opened up my schedule toward the 1st palace deadline and it's been telling me that people got to the calling card on the second possible day. what the hell. I'm bad at this

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Another late game P5 question if that's okay.

So I just beat the
    Fake Igor/Holy Grail/god or whatever
    and got to the save point after that little cutscene. I was just curious about how long the remaining epilogue is before the game is totally done. I wanna watch it when I get off work tonight, but not if it means staying up 'til 4am or so.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

So I just beat the
    and got to the save point after that little cutscene. I was just curious about how long the remaining epilogue is before the game is totally done. I wanna watch it when I get off work tonight, but not if it means staying up 'til 4am or so.

endgame
    You still have a ways (some hours) to go. For reference, I would not say you are at the epilogue yet.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

So I just beat the

endgame
    You still have a ways (some hours) to go. For reference, I would not say you are at the epilogue yet.

Do you mean
    jaldaboath
    if so, an hour maybe. If not, did you just max
    igor's socia link?
    then one dungeon.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I forgot its name but to clarify, I just
    shot God in the face.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I forgot its name but to clarify, I just
    shot God in the face.
    There's still a few hours of stuff I would call denouement and ending.

• Options
    Does Raidou take damage when you jump off the building? It was neat that Dante doesn't.
    As a hooman, he seems to have fewer resists than Dante, too.

• Options
    Does Raidou take damage when you jump off the building? It was neat that Dante doesn't.
    As a hooman, he seems to have fewer resists than Dante, too.

He has better skills, though. I believe he gets Pierce later on.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Yes, his "Son's Oath" is improved. Also that one, weak gun-skill hits a different number of times.

PLA on
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Okay so I've never played a Persona or SMT game before but a friend of mine convinced me to pick up P5 during the Black Friday sale.

I've been blown away! It was amazing, I put 120 hours into it in two weeks and I'm heavily considering heading right back into NG+.

I actually teared up a bit during some of the ending parts. 100% worth the price, wish I had picked it up on release so I could talk about it with people when it was fresh to them!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Awesome!

Now go play Persona 4 Golden!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Awesome!

Now go play Persona 4 Golden!

And then lament the lack of a definitive version of P3 (for the record, I'd go with P3P just for being able to give commands in battle).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.