As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you're only going to play through once, I would honestly vote Person 3 FES for the more detailed cutscenes and what-not.

Sure, you won't have the benefit of giving commands in battle, but you can always just play on Easy if you want, and having experience with a previous Persona game means you'll have a good grasp on the combat mechanics already.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Awesome!

Now go play Persona 4 Golden!

And then lament the lack of a definitive version of P3 (for the record, I'd go with P3P just for being able to give commands in battle).

I'd go with FES for having cutscenes, the hardest variation of the P3/4/5 formula ever in The Answer, and being able to walk around. P3P is a neutered version, IMO.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Caveat that "walking around" isn't always a positive, especially on PSP. Sometimes I just want a menu of all the jerks I can talk to here instead of having to poke into all the corners looking for them. :P

I think the female PC in P3P is better than the male one, but it benefits from having seen the male's version of events so you can see where the diversions occur.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, P3P's interface is just fine.

The meat of Persona (3 onwards) is in NPC interactions and the dungeons. Walking around is unnecessary.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The majority of my walking in P5 was the 5 steps from where the quick travel left me and my actual destination.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    P3P>FES Female MC route is the way to go.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I'm honestly curious what tie-in merch they will drop with Shin Megaten V for the Switch. I'd love SMT themed controllers, or maybe a case.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I loaded up last night right at the calling card for the first palace. my GF started watching me and there's just... so much... that I couldn't explain to her, a reasonable human being.

initiatefailure on
    One of my favorite things about Persona 5 is "explaining" it to other people in the most ridiculous terms possible.
    When I get to the part where I say "And I learned how to do all this from a talking cat that turns into a van" people usually accuse me of bullshitting.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    One of my favorite things about Persona 5 is "explaining" it to other people in the most ridiculous terms possible.
    When I get to the part where I say "And I learned how to do all this from a talking cat that turns into a van" people usually accuse me of bullshitting.

My fiance asked me 'so what IS a Persona?' yesterday when trying to explain what I was doing in the game, and I basically stammered for 10 minutes, unable to come up with a coherent explanation

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It's a Stand.

uyvfOQy.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

My fiance asked me 'so what IS a Persona?' yesterday when trying to explain what I was doing in the game, and I basically stammered for 10 minutes, unable to come up with a coherent explanation

A miserable pile of secrets

I explain them as demons you can "catch" like Pokémon, and make them fight for you.

edited December 2017
    well... at least i don't have to explain to her how it works in P3.

5s "tear off the mask you wear in society to reveal your true inner persona" is very straightforward in comparison

initiatefailure on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I remember checking out of the Persona series super early on when I saw a trailer or a review of Persona 2 or 3, where it looked like the main characters were constantly shooting themselves in the head. Not a great first impression.

yeah that's 3

• chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    I remember checking out of the Persona series super early on when I saw a trailer or a review of Persona 2 or 3, where it looked like the main characters were constantly shooting themselves in the head. Not a great first impression.

It's funny, the shock of that was what got me interested in the series in the first place. Little did i realize it wouldn't take much time at all before i was saying "geeze, can we get on with it already?" during battles.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

i-k827phr.jpg

Jokes aside, P3s evokers did fit the strong theme of death in that game similar to how P5's mask motif really worked. P4's is the least connected where the glasses fit the theme of seeing the truth but smashing floating cards less so.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Catherine: Full Body, a complete remake announced. PS4 + PSVita. More story. New “third Catherine”.
    http://fullbody.jp

Z64JCWV.jpg

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I don't know how i feel about that.

I played a lot of Catherine got most of the endings but the game always made me vaguely uneasy.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Gettin' kind of tired of your "expanded re-releases," Atlus.

Hit us with some more Project Fantasy news.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Catherine: Full Body, a complete remake announced. PS4 + PSVita. More story. New “third Catherine”.

Z64JCWV.jpg

Awesome! If it's coming to PS4+Vita, then that means a PC release could also be on the horizon!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    P3 could still use a definitive edition

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I'm okay with re-releases in general, but atlus keeps adding waifus to their re-releases and it actually makes me care less.

edit: Like look at that fucking character. She looks like she doesn't even belong in the game. Like she was photoshopped in.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I'm okay with re-releases in general, but atlus keeps adding waifus to their re-releases and it actually makes me care less.

edit: Like look at that fucking character. She looks like she doesn't even belong in the game. Like she was photoshopped in.

It's especially, uh, interesting that they're adding "a third Catherine" considering what the game's messages were.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Z64JCWV.jpg

Really surprised about the Vita on this one and not Switch. Very cool though.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    All I want is more alcohol trivia.

Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    All I want is more alcohol trivia.

I would settle for them not having really gross and regressive takes on LGBT characters!

It really soured my feelings on the game in general because it happens late in the game and is extremely shitty.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    We don't need that many catherines.

Toby is like twelve. Just like Amada, he exists to be awful.

It's a spooky ghost.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Bursar wrote: »

Hey. Online competitive. Sign me the hell up.

Also, new girl is 'Rin'. Clever.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

It's especially, uh, interesting that they're adding "a third Catherine" considering what the game's messages were.

Well they didn't have the appropriate licensing to add Dewbacks and Imperial Walkers to the background so they had to work within the limits of their IP.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I thought they'd go with another spelling like "Kathryn."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Also,

I thought they'd go with another spelling like "Kathryn."

I wonder how they differentiate them in Japanese.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I figured they used the different types of writing characters for that, but no, they're just exactly the same.
    Catherine is written as キャサリン (Kyasarin) in Japanese for both Catherine and Katherine. This leads to a lot more ambiguous references in the Japanese game, as the player must rely on context which C/Katherine is being talked about. In a few instances in the English version, the vagueness of which one Vincent is talking about is so important, the localization team altered the subtitles to read as "her" when he actually speaks her name, leaving the player intentionally confused.

uyvfOQy.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I wonder if Rin might be for the "neutral" path.
    AKA the "both these girls are nuts, let's go to space instead" route.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »

Maybe she'll have the same controversy as her VA, but I don't think Atlus have the guts.

wVEsyIc.png

Maybe she'll have the same controversy as her VA, but I don't think Atlus have the guts.

Who is her VA?

Who is her VA?

Aya Hirano. Slept with her band mates, I believe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Who is her VA?

Which wouldn't be a controversy anywhere except Japan so probably not.

The rest of the world wants juicy gossip about who their idols are sleeping with, not that they remain 'pure'.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //

Who is her VA?

Which wouldn't be a controversy anywhere except Japan so probably not.

The rest of the world wants juicy gossip about who their idols are sleeping with, not that they remain 'pure'.

It is a Japanese game. Again though, doubt they'd go there.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.