As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I wonder if Rin might be for the "neutral" path.
    AKA the "both these girls are nuts, let's go to space instead" route.

Maybe she'll have the same controversy as her VA, but I don't think Atlus have the guts.

Who is her VA?

Aya Hirano. Slept with her band mates, I believe.

Which wouldn't be a controversy anywhere except Japan so probably not.

The rest of the world wants juicy gossip about who their idols are sleeping with, not that they remain 'pure'.

It is a Japanese game. Again though, doubt they'd go there.

Not set in Japan nor Japanese culture though.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

Maybe she'll have the same controversy as her VA, but I don't think Atlus have the guts.

Who is her VA?

The rest of the world wants juicy gossip about who their idols are sleeping with, not that they remain 'pure'.

It wasn't set in Japanese culture, but it definitely was created to be viewed through a Japanese cultural lens. Heck, the main villain's plot was to solve a societal problem going on in Japan today.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

Who is her VA?

It wasn't set in Japanese culture, but it definitely was created to be viewed through a Japanese cultural lens. Heck, the main villain's plot was to solve a societal problem going on in Japan today.

It's always been kind of weird seeing Japanese takes on other cultures and settings. Some stuff usually ends up off. For example, their takes on high fantasy tend to feel very British fantasy inspired (obviously Tolkien is kind of a big influence there) but then will throw in a Catholic church analogue and there often aren't any other human cultures besides the setting's flavor of Anglo-Saxon.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I gotta say, its been a very long time since I've been hyped for anime. P5 the animation and Hero Academia season3 are both slated for April 2018 release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WO9ciTYjGg

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    P5:

so is the second palace way easier than the first one?

Is it just that the first one hand held your progress for a bit?

All i know is I did the first half of the second dungeon in one day up until it story blocks you

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    P5:

All i know is I did the first half of the second dungeon in one day up until it story blocks you

You tend to have a lot more resources at your disposal after the first dungeon. Even if the second dungeon isn't mechanically easier, better prep going in makes a huge difference.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    P5:

There are a few enemies in the 1st palace that gave me a REALLY hard time, since you have far fewer tools at your disposal. After the first palace, I didn't really have an issue other than a few bosses.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    How important is it to upgrade your weapons and armor, and should I prioritize one over the other? I easily have enough money to upgrade everyone's weapon (for those who didn't get upgrades from base weapon from the intro run through Mementos) and at least one piece of armor.

I need to get back to the game (ideally beat it before the anime/April) and stopped in the lead up to the second palace.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Cormac wrote: »
    How important is it to upgrade your weapons and armor, and should I prioritize one over the other? I easily have enough money to upgrade everyone's weapon (for those who didn't get upgrades from base weapon from the intro run through Mementos) and at least one piece of armor.

I need to get back to the game (ideally beat it before the anime/April) and stopped in the lead up to the second palace.

I always start out by upgrading my weapons, trying to keep them top of the line, because against the small-fry, a best defense is a good offense, and lets you nab some new persona out of the gate.

My priority was generally weapons > armor > guns > accessories, specifically the ones from Takemi that restore SP on each turn.

If you're hurting for money, use every holdup to grab some cash. If you've gotten a few ranks from the politician confidant, you can do it multiple times, which really racks up the dough.

Javen on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Weapons are important early, less important later. They only effect auto attack damage and all out attacks. Physical skill damage is straight off the Strength stat only and you'll be using those later instead.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I've honestly just been riding this obaryion persona more than any equipment. I bought a top shelf hammer for ryuji at the start of this second palace but everything else has just been rando drops

also... I got a part time job but have never shown up because i make a ton of money in the palaces. good thing they don't seem to care i guess.

also i got a persona
    regent. I'm not sure I understand what's special about them? It just has sweet abilities i can pass on is that it?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    also i got a persona
    regent. I'm not sure I understand what's special about them? It just has sweet abilities i can pass on is that it?
    The skills for inheriting are a draw, yes. You can also use it in fusion to get higher-ranked personas. Regent specifically can boost Magician, Emperor, Hierophant, Chariot, Justice, Fortune, Hanged Man, Death, Star and Judgment arcana personas.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I dunno why, but I stopped playing Persona 5 for like... months. I guess I got distracted. Anyway, was bored on New Year's Eve/Day and resumed my game. Pretty much all I did yesterday and Sunday. I really love the characters and story in the game, it's just so enthralling that I don't realize how long I've been sitting there playing... The air-lock part of the greed palace can fuck off, though. That was not a very fun "puzzle"...

I saw the big 11/20 reveal coming a mile away too!
    As soon as Aekechi revealed that he could travel into the metaverse, and had a persona, I suspected him. Then he showed the picture of his run in with the "Villain" and I was like "Yeah, ok he's the badguy."

I loved the elaborate heist/scheme they pulled off to make it look like he killed Joker too.

I went with
    Kawakami
    for the romance option, and it's kinda dull. Whenever I call her up, she suggests they go out somewhere, but the only option ever is to hang out in the attic. Is it like that with everyone? Kinda regretting not going the Futaba route now =/

That's what NG+ is for I guess!

Anyway, primo game! Dunno why I let it sit unplayed for so long...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    P5:

That is the ideal goal for every dungeon.

• Options
    P5:

Well all right. I'll try to keep that up. I had to take an extra day in mementos before tackling the boss of that palace but the extra level up let me have the mc, ryuji, and Yusuke all learn aoe attacks

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    P5:

Well all right. I'll try to keep that up. I had to take an extra day in mementos before tackling the boss of that palace but the extra level up let me have the mc, ryuji, and Yusuke all learn aoe attacks

Aye, mind you it's not required. But if your goal is to be seeing as much as possible in your one run (or maxing out the confidants) you definitely want to use as few days as possible for the dungeon and only leave when the game requires it.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    P5:

You have a lot of leeway in maxing out your confidants and doing other side stuff in 5 in big part due to the bonuses you can unlock from some of the night time confidants. The maid eventually unlocks an ability to not be too tired to do stuff at night if you were hitting a dungeon in the afternoon and the fortune teller unlocks being able to boost confidant progress without using time in exchange for a small amount of money. Both unlock further into the game.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yes that is also true.

It is MUCH easier to do in Persona 5 if you just abuse the fuck out of the fortune teller.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I dunno why, but I stopped playing Persona 5 for like... months. I guess I got distracted. Anyway, was bored on New Year's Eve/Day and resumed my game. Pretty much all I did yesterday and Sunday. I really love the characters and story in the game, it's just so enthralling that I don't realize how long I've been sitting there playing... The air-lock part of the greed palace can fuck off, though. That was not a very fun "puzzle"...

I saw the big 11/20 reveal coming a mile away too!
    As soon as Aekechi revealed that he could travel into the metaverse, and had a persona, I suspected him. Then he showed the picture of his run in with the "Villain" and I was like "Yeah, ok he's the badguy."

I loved the elaborate heist/scheme they pulled off to make it look like he killed Joker too.

I went with
    Kawakami
    for the romance option, and it's kinda dull. Whenever I call her up, she suggests they go out somewhere, but the only option ever is to hang out in the attic. Is it like that with everyone? Kinda regretting not going the Futaba route now =/

That's what NG+ is for I guess!

Anyway, primo game! Dunno why I let it sit unplayed for so long...

The twist actually had me going, just a bit
    For awhile, I was convinced that the interrogation room was still in Sae's Palace, with you never actually leaving the Metaverse, and you were actually talking with her Shadow the whole time, and gradually convincing her through your story would result in a change of heart, rather than from stealing her treasure.

Javen on
  • Options
    My GF asked if I was close to the end of p5 while I was going through palace 3 last night. Sweet summer child.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »

I always start out by upgrading my weapons, trying to keep them top of the line, because against the small-fry, a best defense is a good offense, and lets you nab some new persona out of the gate.

My priority was generally weapons > armor > guns > accessories, specifically the ones from Takemi that restore SP on each turn.

If you're hurting for money, use every holdup to grab some cash. If you've gotten a few ranks from the politician confidant, you can do it multiple times, which really racks up the dough.

The SP restoring accessories are priority #1. It's also worth leveling up Death until she gives you a discount on them.

• Options
    Beat P5 last night! First time I've actually finished a Persona game :^:

Loved mostly every minute of it (a couple palaces drag on far too long). Cleaning up trophies in NG+. Kinda miffed that confidant ranks don't carry over, but it shouldn't be too hard to max em all in one playthrough since I don't need to worry about my social stats anymore.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Loved mostly every minute of it (a couple palaces drag on far too long). Cleaning up trophies in NG+. Kinda miffed that confidant ranks don't carry over, but it shouldn't be too hard to max em all in one playthrough since I don't need to worry about my social stats anymore.

It's very easy to max everyone in NG+ since you have max social stats and can get as far as possible in a dungeon as possible with your OP Personas.

I would recommend consulting a guide about the Mementos requests, however, as some of them have time limits or are required to be done in order to progress further into other S. Links, so trying to plot an efficient way to do a lot of requests at once is good.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    SUMMONING FURSONA!

Finally ended up buying a PS4 pretty much just for this game and Bloodborne.

So I'm up to the end of October and OH MY GOD a certain party member's mask is uncomfortably close to a certain other infamous mask. They're even both decked out in all white.
    clockwork.jpg
    coss1235.jpg

No...did they?

MrBody on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    SUMMONING FURSONA!

Finally ended up buying a PS4 pretty much just for this game and Bloodborne.

So I'm up to the end of October and OH MY GOD did they intentionally make your final party member's mask uncomfortably close to the infamous home invasion mask from A Clockwork Orange??? They're even both decked out in all white.
    img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=2020606
    personnage-17.png

No...did they?

I don't think so. That's a pretty common mask shape for any kind of masked revelry setting. You can find pictures of them dating back to well before the movie.

Of course, it IS the same color, mostly.

• Options
    I don't think they were going for A Clockwork Orange there. Looks more like an old medieval doctor's mask to me. Fits the whole bird motif that character has going on.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    And I think the mask in Clockwork Orange is a Japanese Tengu mask, whereas the mask in Persona is at least based off of the plague mask from Victorian England.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I mean I assumed they weren't intentionally going for the "violent rapist" look for your party member, but I also assumed the artist must have never seen that movie because they'd at least pick a different color. "Unlawful gang member with long red nosed mask" conjures up that image to anyone who's seen it.

MrBody on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    http://www.siliconera.com/2018/01/26/atlus-asks-games-want-see-platforms-annual-survey/

Atlus has a survey going to see what direction players would like to see Atlus to go as a company. It's kind of an insanely long survey, estimate is 45 minutes on the site. But they're asking some pretty in depth questions like what games players would like to see on what platforms and whether you'd be likely to play remakes of various titles, and whether you'd buy a game if a third party were allowed to do an installment in the series.

It's only in Japanese but Chrome does a pretty solid passable kinda garbage job of translating if anyone wants to take a crack at it. The Siliconera article has a few noteworthy examples
    Q55: If a Persona game listed below were to be announced, would you play them? If so, please tell us which device you’d like for it (PS4/PS VR/PS Vita/Switch/Smartphone/PC/Other)

Persona series shooting game
    Persona 5 fighter
    Persona 6
    Persona series strategy game
    Persona series action RPG
    Persona series board game
    Persona series online RPG

Q60: If Atlus were to do a full remake of a past title, would you play them? If so, please tell us which device you’d like like for it (PS4/PS VR/PS Vita/Switch/Smartphone/PC/Other)

Megami Ibunroku Persona remake
    Persona 2 Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment remake
    Persona 3 remake
    Persona 4 remake
    Persona 5 remake
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nine remake
    Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne remake
    Shin Megami Tensei IV remake
    Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse remake
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga remake
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers remake
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army remake
    Etrian Odyssey main-numbered title remake
    Devil Summoner series title remake
    Devil Survivor series title remake

Q61: How would you feel about another company announcing a new title for any of the following Atlus games (Would definitely play/Depends on content but would play/I wouldn’t want that/No interest or I don’t know)

Soul Hackers series title
    Devil Summoner series title
    Devil Survivor series title
    Persona fighting game series title
    Persona Dancing series title
    Persona Q series title
    Etrian Odyssey series title
    Persona series title
    Shin Megami Tensei series title

Q62: How would you feel about any of the following work from Atlus (Would definitely support/Likely support/Wouldn’t Support or no interest)

Collaboration work on contents from another company
    Video game adaptation of other contents (such as anime)
    Ports/remasters of past titles (such as Dragon’s Crown Pro)
    Remakes of past titles (such as Etrian Odyssey Untold, Catherine: Full Body)
    Spinoff of a classic title (such as Persona 4: Dancing All Night)
    Major numbered title development for classic series (such as Shin Megami Tensei V)
    Development on a completely new title

Q63: For those who would support the development of a completely new title from Atlus, share your thoughts on the following (Would definitely play/Depends on content but would play/Wouldn’t think about playing or no interest/I don’t know)

A completely new title by Studio Zero
    A completely new title by the Etrian Odyssey team (not a Etrian Odyssey title)
    A completely new title by the Persona team (not a Persona title)
    A completely new title by Vanillaware
    A completely new title by the Shin Megami Tensei team (not a Shin Megami Tensei title)

Q64: Should a main-numbered title be released for the series below, which device you’d like like for it (PS4/PS VR/PS Vita/Switch/Smartphone/PC/Other)

Persona series
    Etrian Odyssey series
    Shin Megami Tensei series

[Bonus] Q66: This is the final question. Do you believe in the existence of the “Phantom Thieves of Hearts”? Please select the choice that applies best

Phantom Thieves? What’s that?
    There’s no way that’s possible loool
    Not even grade schoolers would believe that
    The whole “Heart” thing is lame
    I think it’d be cool
    I believe in you, Phantom Thieves!

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Random thoughts

They need to invent a "most artistic UI" award just for this game

Pro: Yukkiko is not in this game.
    Con: I want to dropkick Ryuji and Mishima every scene they're in.
    Major con: No Elizabeth
    Major pro: No Nananko
    SUPER PRO:
    Massages on demand from my hot teacher in a maid outfit

I think I'm going to bump the difficulty up to hard, a first in the series for me. The first palace was the hardest and it's been steadily dropping off since. It feels like they didn't adjust for all the crazy bonuses the social links give you. Mementos feels especially easy since the progress is gated by how far you are in the story, and the current area is always much easier than the current palace. You beat a palace, open up a new area, and go, "Huh. This might have been a challenge 5 levels and one palace ago." I'm not even grinding and I can't remember seeing a single non-blue enemy in Mementos after Area 2.

The usefulness of the social links seems inversely proportional to how much you want to hang out with the person. Frigging...Mishima...

Was I the only one who started out liking Ann, then quickly grew annoyed with her as you go down her link?

Over 55 hours and I'm still giggling like an idiot watching a CAT VAN sneaking up behind enemies so you can tap them with your bumper with a lunge a MEOWRRR battle cry.

These guys are as bad at keeping secret identities as the Persona 4 cast was bad at being detectives. "Guys, the police have been honing in on us for months and are now questioning us. Let us continue to openly talk about being Phantom Thieves via easily accessed texting!"

FREAKING Mishima

MrBody on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular

I just beat it last night too. It's my first persona game and I really liked it from the beginning. It definitely dragged on at points. I almost didn't finish it because the final palaces really dragged on to me. I may fire up NG+ just to see some of the confidant stories I didn't get to. I'll definitely get other atlas games in the future though.

• Options
    Cauld wrote: »

I just beat it last night too. It's my first persona game and I really liked it from the beginning. It definitely dragged on at points. I almost didn't finish it because the final palaces really dragged on to me. I may fire up NG+ just to see some of the confidant stories I didn't get to. I'll definitely get other atlas games in the future though.

Oh man, the space palace was pure tedious pain. Almost to the level of the Air Castle in Twilight Princess.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Uh duh! Those two survey questions are easy. Persona 6 on PS4 ASAP pls.

Also Persona 3/4 remake combo-pack on PS4 would be totes appreciated.

Edit: OK there's more than two questions, but those top two are the bigguns.

Also Space palace stunk! That stupid air-lock maze...

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Also Space palace stunk! That stupid air-lock maze...

And that awful timed conveyor/compactor section where you had to go through dialog prompts to shut them down for 30 seconds and race to cross it in that time, but it was impossible with the shadows present. So you to shut them down, do shadow clearing runs, shut them down again to run back to the right control panel, then shut them down again to do a proper run without shadows in the way.

And then you get to fight a mini-boss at the end of it where if you die if have to do it all again.

Even after beating the thing, I still didn't get the logic behind the door locks in the airlock maze. I just ran around flipping different combinations until it worked.

• Options
    Oh yeah, those timed sections sucked too. It would've been OK if it didn't play that stupid message every time. I did alright until the last section of the air lock maze. Just ended up googling the solution =/

The only other palace I felt dragged on too long was the second to last one. Getting all those letters of introduction took forever. Everything else in the game is aces, though :^:

• Options
    someone playing through in the SE++ thread was one palace ahead of me at the time and was upset at the airlocks and all the responses were "it's cool, we all google that one" so I didn't even hesitate when I got to it to search for the solution.

• Options
    Oh, and the part in the casino
    It seemed like such a simple quest: "Find the red and green terminals". You're even given hints where they are: "right by the door to this room" and "somewhere in the employee corridor"

NEITHER OF THOSE HINTS ARE TRUE

It's not "right outside the door", it's outside the door, down one branch of a split corridor, through another door, then hidden behind a bunch of crates you have to climb over and even then spotting it is tricky because there's a treasure chest on the opposite side of that hidden alcove where the camera is going to be focused on instead of the terminal.

"Somewhere in the employee corridor" makes you think it's going to be in the back hallways away from the public slot machine floor. It turns out to be literally right at the entrance to the public slot area, the exact opposite of where the hint said it'd be. It's hidden in such plain site in an area you'd never think to look that I never would have found it if I hadn't looked it up.

But yeah, Space Palace guy gets thrown in level designer jail along with Twilight Princess Air Castle and Water Temple guy. The visual designer for the UI gets the power to pardon them if he so chooses.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I never had a problem with the airlocks

But that’s not a judgment on people who did or anything

My biggest problem was the next to last dungeon since it was very very long

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I didn't think the airlocks were hard at all.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.