As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited November 2021 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Megaten(Shin Megami Tensei)/Persona thread.
This will be for discussion and advice on everything from the core games to obscurities to Devil Summoner and to, of course, Persona.

Beware ye who enter, for here there be thieves.

iv404d7.jpg

The Story So Far...

Persona ('Revelations')
latest?cb=20130826030757

The story of a St. Hermelin High student, a redhead with serious psychological issues, and a fairy who really, really wants that money.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin
persona2-is.jpg

The story of a Seven Sisters High student who really loves his motorcycle, a city that really loves its rumors, and a villain that really loves his flowers.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
ep1.jpg

The story of a reporter for Coolest Magazine who absolutely must get that scoop, a crazed serial killer, and the crawling chaos behind it all.

Persona 3
persona3.jpg

The story of a student who has one year that he'd really better make count, a seaside city with issues, and a dormitory so dramatic that it makes Riverdale look normal.

Persona 4
jcXBYZE.png

The story of a provincial life, a lot of dead bodies, a very special gas station, and the suave pimp 'o' fish that brings it all together.

Persona 5...???
latest?cb=20150916122108

(THIS SECTION HAS BEEN CONFISCATED BY THE PHANTOM THIEVES)
2OOTHyV.jpg

SUSPECTS WANTED AND TO BE CONSIDERED ARMED AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS

mNN6hDw.jpg

And remember.

EUMSZWf.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I beat the first Palace on hard mode...

...but it took literally everything, including all the free dlc items, and especially a couple clutch heavy physical attacks from the level 20 izanagi that's totally cheating. And even then I barely squeaked by with only 2 party members left alive during the final boss with practically no health.

Part of me wants to wait until I hit a real brick wall before I inevitably dial it down to normal, yet another part is concerned I'll be so backed into a corner by then it'll be too late.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I really hope the dungeon BGM picks up the pace, because so far I'm a little underwhelmed by P5's OST. Then again, if anyone has a reallllly high bar set for himself, it's Meguro.

The only tracks I really enjoy so far have been ambient pieces during conversation and events. The title screen, battle music, and dungeon BGM aren't doing much for me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So Persona 5 is super hype. This is my first Persona game (though I watched GiantBomb play through 4), loving it so far :D

I feel like all the choices of what to do are going to be overwhelming, but luckily it has been really linear so far.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    My first Persona as well. I do get the sense that there's going to be a paralyzing number of options at some point but the game's doing a good job so far of easing me in and getting me familiarized with the core mechanics without it feeling dragged out. Just got properly unleashed on the first dungeon and I'm loving how cohesive all the separate aspects of the game feel. Characters are pretty good so far too, although I wish Ann's costume was a little less...that

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    "Man, I don't remember the first dungeon being this long or hard. How the hell'd I clear it in one day before? (Japanese version)"
    "You didn't."
    "I'm pretty sure I did."
    "I'm pretty sure you were complaining about exactly this six months ago."
    "Wasn't that the second dungeon?"
    "No."
    "But that's the dungeon with the (first dungeon miniboss)."
    "No, the pushover dick monster is the first dungeon."
    "Wait... which dungeon is the second one?"
    --thirty minutes later--
    "...Fuck."

Conversation had today. In my defense, six months is a long time, and I compartmentalize pretty heavily when I'm forced to translate from Japanese so I don't get shit mixed up in my head, although I didn't have any projects at that time. And I persevered on with my foreknowledge to clear it in one day even though I blew way too much SP early. But don't be like a stubborn masochist like me. Take at least two days.
    And remember where you left your penis monsters.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Played for about 2 hours last night. Then today my PS3 decided to stop reading discs.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    My favorite thing to do in this game: Any time it transitions between the actual game and the Framing Device, I try to sum up what's going on out loud, as if it was me in the game.

April 15th spoilers
    "So yeah, that's when the magical talking cat became my roommate. Look, have you ever seen Sabrina the Teenage Witch? We could save a lot of time here."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    I'm probably one of the about seven people in the world that this bothers, but if you're going to use an automated line-balancer for text, for god's sake, don't use a variable width font.

I know that pain. I lived it. It was awful. Every time it fucks up my eyebrow twitch with the need to fix the formatting.

/anal retentive localization rant

ztrEPtD.gif
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Two quick questions while I'm still in the early game

I just did a day where they suggested a take a part-time job. I took the convenience store one and did it for a day, but since all I got from it was money, I loaded my game and did a confidant instead. It is actually worth doing that job? Or should I only do it when I have absolutely nothing else to do? Certain part-time jobs in 4 did lead to social links eventually.

I also think I remember seeing someone suggest focusing on leveling up two confidants in particular. I think Death was one of them? Basically are there any as important as like, the fox in 4.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2017
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Two quick questions while I'm still in the early game

I just did a day where they suggested a take a part-time job. I took the convenience store one and did it for a day, but since all I got from it was money, I loaded my game and did a confidant instead. It is actually worth doing that job? Or should I only do it when I have absolutely nothing else to do? Certain part-time jobs in 4 did lead to social links eventually.

I also think I remember seeing someone suggest focusing on leveling up two confidants in particular. I think Death was one of them? Basically are there any as important as like, the fox in 4.

Mild gameplay stuff directly in response, re: first question asked and certain Confidant bonuses, no names used
    Yes. Some part time jobs do lead to Confidants. The one I remember in particular because it's a good one to get early is with the gyudon (beef bowl, I think localized as?) place. I can't remember if the convenience store leads to one, but I want to say no.

As for confidants, it's not an easy question to answer for the early game because so many are time locked, and especially the better ones. Death is fine, and usefulish, and one of the few you can do up front that also gives guts, but the bonuses aren't the best. Hierophant is one of the worst, but also one of the few things you can do in evenings for a while. It's 'hidden', but brewing coffee for the SP items also gives points towards it as well, so you shouldn't spend time with him unless it's to rank up. Brew coffee instead, which you can do literally any day, even days you can't hang out with him.

The one I highly suggest focusing on first and foremost that is relatively early is Moon. It gives bonus exp, both for people out of the party and in the party. More exp just makes everything easier. Sun is another excellent one to take to rank 2, but then leave there for a while because the rank 3 'bonus' wipes out the absurdly superior and eminently abusable rank 2 bonus. Party members are good to get to at least 3/5 to unlock their follow ups and/or help in negotiations.

Star and Temperance are probably the two best after Moon, but they don't unlock for a while. Prioritize them heavily as well when you can. Temperance gives you extra actions during the day and eventually at night too, and Star unlocks tons of major combat bonuses. If you've got a ton of money, Fortune is good to prioritize too, as its bonuses let you pay to get bonuses to stats and confidant relationship point thingies.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Finished the first dungeon yesterday. It was actually fun doing a dungeon in a Persona game, how strange!

Although I didn't like how
    it takes so many in-game days to finish it. I wasted so many SP-restoring items thinking that I'd be able to fight the boss right away. Also, why does sending the calling card take a whole fucking day?

In the future, I'll try to finish the main part of a dungeon in one day, though that'll definitely be tough.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It helps if you buy the cheapo sp restore items from the school courtyard and bath house vending machines each week. It's not much, but it helps.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Finished the first dungeon yesterday. It was actually fun doing a dungeon in a Persona game, how strange!

it takes so many in-game days to finish it. I wasted so many SP-restoring items thinking that I'd be able to fight the boss right away. Also, why does sending the calling card take a whole fucking day?

In the future, I'll try to finish the main part of a dungeon in one day, though that'll definitely be tough.

Just a heads up...
    You can't finish dungeons in one day. There are gameplay elements preventing it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    If anybody is still wondering, difficulties were like this.
    Safety - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0 - can't switch difficulty if this selected any time
    Easy - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
    Hard - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
    Challenge DLC - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4 - Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled

Challenge is my jam, but the money-thing means I won't be using it at least until the end of my first playthrough.

AspectVoid wrote: »

Just a heads up...
    You can't finish dungeons in one day. There are gameplay elements preventing it.
    I know, I said as much in my post. I just wanna clear the main exploration portion in one day.

• MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I really hope the dungeon BGM picks up the pace, because so far I'm a little underwhelmed by P5's OST. Then again, if anyone has a reallllly high bar set for himself, it's Meguro.

The only tracks I really enjoy so far have been ambient pieces during conversation and events. The title screen, battle music, and dungeon BGM aren't doing much for me.

I can think of one dungeon theme that knocks it out of the park in my opinion, but the name of the song itself on youtube implies some spoilery stuff (both for the dungeon itself and a character).

Youtube link:

MortifiedPenguin on
    Are the scratch tickets a scam? I've bought one every single day so far and I've never gotten anything.

Are the scratch tickets a scam? I've bought one every single day so far and I've never gotten anything.

In so far as scratch-tickets in general are a scam, yes. But it is supposed to have prizes.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So, really enjoyed one early scene (spoilers, you're safe by 4/20)
    I loved how Ann's transformation goes. She goes pissed off to manic grin like everyone else... and then after the battle she calms down and notices her outfit.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    PLA wrote: »

In so far as scratch-tickets in general are a scam, yes. But it is supposed to have prizes.

I must have the worst luck then.

Also, is going to the batting cages or doing training in your room worth it? I'm kinda weary of spending my time doing something that doesn't give me any social stats.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Man I can't handle all this style. Also everything is just so snappy, like when someone interrupts a conversation it doesn't do that awkward video game pause, it actually feels natural.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    BTW, there isn't any way to hide the button prompts in the lower right corner during cutscenes, is there? I find them super distracting and I doubt I will ever need to look at the log anyways :P (I certainly don't need to be reminded what button it is :P)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

...but it took literally everything, including all the free dlc items, and especially a couple clutch heavy physical attacks from the level 20 izanagi that's totally cheating. And even then I barely squeaked by with only 2 party members left alive during the final boss with practically no health.

Part of me wants to wait until I hit a real brick wall before I inevitably dial it down to normal, yet another part is concerned I'll be so backed into a corner by then it'll be too late.

How do you have the izanagi dlc?

It comes out next week I thought?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

It comes with the digital version

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I have a party member question.
    Where do you start the social link for party member five? I cannot figure it out. I just completed dungeon 2.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So my Persona 5 didn't come with the promotional Dualshock 4 skin Amazon was offering. I brought it up with them and they said they couldn't replace "missing parts" individually, and they considered the item a missing part.

However, they offered to place an order for the game again for me at a zero cost(which would come with the skin), and I would RMA one of the copies back to them upon receipt.

This is probably up there for one of the most wastefully bureaucratic things I've ever seen, but at least I'll be getting the skin.

Donnicton wrote: »
    So my Persona 5 didn't come with the promotional Dualshock 4 skin Amazon was offering. I brought it up with them and they said they couldn't replace "missing parts" individually, and they considered the item a missing part.

However, they offered to place an order for the game again for me at a zero cost(which would come with the skin), and I would RMA one of the copies back to them upon receipt.

This is probably up there for one of the most wastefully bureaucratic things I've ever seen, but at least I'll be getting the skin.

We were supposed to get a skin? Or was that only the default non-steel version?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It comes with the digital version

Sonova...

Also wait.. it let's you use the DLC persona's even before you are the proper level for them?

DemonStacey on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

We were supposed to get a skin? Or was that only the default non-steel version?

I don't actually know, because it's not actually an advertised bonus on the product page of either version. They are however sending e-mails out promoting the skin when you order Persona 5, but it doesn't say a specific version there either.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Where do you start the social link for party member five? I cannot figure it out. I just completed dungeon 2.

I'm not as far in the game as you but I know that with a lot of past persona party members (including anne) there's usually a cooldown period of like a couple weeks after completing the dungeon where you recruited them before you can start hanging out with them.

If a social link is available somewhere, it'll show up as a blue card on the rail map. Or better yet they'll straight up text you.

Also, if you hit the touchpad it'll tell you what other players have done that day--including who they hang out with, which is usually a good indication that person is available as long as you've met their prerequisites.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258

http://imgur.com/a/qqkjY

accurate comic comparing velvet rooms of p4 and p5

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Justine(I think) is kinda nice. The other one is a bit of a bitch, though... Like, chill out lady, god

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Justine(I think) is kinda nice. The other one is a bit of a bitch, though... Like, chill out lady, god

I assume they're going for a good cop/bad cop vibe.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Don't know much about DLC but on the store you download so far, extra potions, skill cards and a super difficulty option for free.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Her English VA is a LOT meaner than the Japanese one.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I dunno, the strident abuse really fits the tone of the rest of the game

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Unique abilities... does that mean they only come from that one source or they cannot be passed to any other persona?

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

I'm not as far in the game as you but I know that with a lot of past persona party members (including anne) there's usually a cooldown period of like a couple weeks after completing the dungeon where you recruited them before you can start hanging out with them.

If a social link is available somewhere, it'll show up as a blue card on the rail map. Or better yet they'll straight up text you.

Also, if you hit the touchpad it'll tell you what other players have done that day--including who they hang out with, which is usually a good indication that person is available as long as you've met their prerequisites.

Touchpad told me people were hanging with this character and that's why I was trying to figure it out.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited April 2017
    Unique abilities... does that mean they only come from that one source or they cannot be passed to any other persona?

Both of those things, in the case of DLC-personas. If I remember right there are other skills that can only be used by one persona, but the kind of skill that only has one origin yet can be passed on also exists.

PLA on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    This game looks so good. To bad, with the looming vacation, I cant grab it until the end of the month... :(

This discussion has been closed.