As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I grew up with subtitles, so they don't bother me.

Although I am bothered by Dutch subtitles under English-language media. I can never stop myself from going 'I would've translated that line differently'.

I've seen shows that had the english dubbed voices and the english subtitles be based on different translations.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I grew up with subtitles, so they don't bother me.

Although I am bothered by Dutch subtitles under English-language media. I can never stop myself from going 'I would've translated that line differently'.

now imagine that kind of effect when you're a translator
    it's so annoying

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    At least once you've got a demon to the part where they're asking for things, they will actually join your team if you give them what they want. None of this taking all your stuff and then leaving anyway nonsense.

If I remember correctly, in either SMT4 or SMT4:Apocalypse (or maybe both) I think the most effective method was:
    Give them the first thing they ask for and then tell them they have enough (i.e. refuse to give them anything else). I recall that working like every time.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    wait you want them off? Why exactly?

As the person said above they are very distracting to me. The first thing I do in any game is turn off any subtitles that can be turned off. I don't like my eyes being drawn away from the action and I don't like seeing what characters say before they say it.

And I can't very well ignore them because my ADD makes that quite difficult. My eyes constantly get sucked downwards and the only way I can try to keep focus on the screen is by concentrating very hard on "don't look at the subtitles" which is of itself not a great feeling and REALLY takes away from the enjoyment of a scene.

I know it seems small to some folks but it's a standard option for a reason. It can make a very big difference for some folks.

I actually switched to Japanese audio for awhile (and would need the subtitles). But then I switched back. The English dubbing is fine, tbh.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I beat the first boss, after some thinking it wasn't as hard as I expected, though still a damage sponge. My strategy:
    Farm Azumi for a couple essences, to give Bufu to demons and/or MC

Give MC Daemon's affinities so that he doesn't care about the fire or dark breath attacks

Do the side quest that gives you Leanan Sidhe, she was at level 17 and thus significantly stronger than anyone else in my party, and she resists dark and fire

Other than that I had Angel for his group heal and Aeros for his high magic stat.

I enjoyed building a party around this boss fight. Though farming essences is way rougher than I expected, might have to add some points to luck soon to try and take the edge off.

Edit- assuming luck effects drop rate?

Kaputa on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Trick to the Hydra
    He has no resistance against Sleep

Put him to sleep, debuff all his stats, slap him around as he burns both his turns by missing constantly. I ran an almost fully Fire weak team against it and still won.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Now I've seen some numbers for Artemis' kannuki-nage. As expected, it can more or less compete with Hassou Tobi. But is still probably not as good as Hassou Tobi in practice. In accordance with the law.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    wait you want them off? Why exactly?

Some people with dyslexia, which is a condition in which written words can appear distorted or even difficult to look at can find subtitles extremely distracting or even unpleasant.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything, I was legitimately curious. Those are all fair points and it is disappointing that there's no option to turn them off. I suppose it's because the game is mostly text anyway? But turning off subtitles for the FMVs would be nice

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    No I knew it was a legit question! It's totally a thing and I learned this from some of my players in a DnD game once, who kept asking me to read out notes. I thought they just wanted my sultry voice, but after a conversation later I learned the real reason was because reading written things was unpleasant to outright painful, which also prevented them from playing non-fully voiced RPGs like Planescape Torment. So I got into the habit of always reading aloud all written notes from in game etc.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Cleared the first Netherworld section including the 50 Mimam and while I've tried a few SMT games before I've always bounced off of them. So I'm really happy it seems to be clicking for me this time.

Any recommendations for a decent (and acquirable in the first Netherworld segment) Essence for general resistances? The default is pretty nice but being weak to Dark with it's instant kill on weak property meant I just instantly died in the first fight post leaving the Netherworld.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I'm coming to realize that this game's map is uuuh worse than SMT4's world map. This thing is just unusable garbage. I have two things I'm trying to get to in the second real area and just absolutely cannot find the way there and I have tried for both for like an hour each so maybe some of you can unravel the mystery of basic fucking locomotion for me and tell me how to get to these two items. one a glory chest and the other A GODDAMN SIDEQUEST WHICH IS WHY I'M SO ANGRY AT THIS

I'll put it in spoilers since it is the second area.
    (I realize now I have no idea how to even embed tweets here)

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Made my healer.

What the fuck even is that unique skill holy shit. oosc4hedo70g.png

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Made my healer.

What the fuck even is that unique skill holy shit. oosc4hedo70g.png

Immortality.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    I'm coming to realize that this game's map is uuuh worse than SMT4's world map. This thing is just unusable garbage. I have two things I'm trying to get to in the second real area and just absolutely cannot find the way there and I have tried for both for like an hour each so maybe some of you can unravel the mystery of basic fucking locomotion for me and tell me how to get to these two items. one a glory chest and the other A GODDAMN SIDEQUEST WHICH IS WHY I'M SO ANGRY AT THIS

I'll put it in spoilers since it is the second area.
    (I realize now I have no idea how to even embed tweets here)

I don't remember one of the things, but the other one is quite easy to get to.
    Sidequest: Travel to the first leyline in the zone (Tennozu Isle). Run to the overhanging bridge and jump down to the highway. Follow the road south to a cluster of enemies with a fence to the left side. At one place you can jump the over the fence to a pathway that leads up to the sidequest.

Some of the glory crystals and those hidden demons can be really hard to get to. Since the game relies so much on elevation in certain areas, some of the challenge is just to find the way. I reccomend buying the location of every Mimans in the zone from the demon since there will always be someone you've not found.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yeah I eventually did find the sidequest. and I had already bought the miman location.

Current boss I'm on is a real rough one for me. looks like I need to get at least one more level and then I thiiiink I'll have a decent way to deal with it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    With Bowl of Hygeia, Golden Apple also gives you temp-HP above your max HP. With Boon Boost EX, the buffs last 5 turns, and so do any debuffs you let her use.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Road Block wrote: »
    Cleared the first Netherworld section including the 50 Mimam and while I've tried a few SMT games before I've always bounced off of them. So I'm really happy it seems to be clicking for me this time.

Any recommendations for a decent (and acquirable in the first Netherworld segment) Essence for general resistances? The default is pretty nice but being weak to Dark with it's instant kill on weak property meant I just instantly died in the first fight post leaving the Netherworld.
    While I'm still early on, I find that the game gives you so many essences that it's better to change them out fairly regularly based on what you're fighting, rather than keep one equipped generally. This might change as I encounter stronger demons with more resistances, but I've already switched up MC's affinities a few times to good effect. Hard mode is kind of forcing me to do so for each boss and sub-boss, but a couple times I've found it worth the change even for fighting mobs.

Edit - also, I don't mind the map in this game. It tells you enough for general navigation and leaves the rest for the player to observe/explore.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    So do level differences carry their own bonuses/penalties beyond that determined by stats?

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Kaputa wrote: »
    So do level differences carry their own bonuses/penalties beyond that determined by stats?

Difference in level definitely influences damage dealt/taken and critical hit chance. According to players with high luck builds, if they are below 3~ levels or so from the enemy their chance to crit absolutely tanks. When they reach level parity they once again reliably crit. The reverse is true as well, you are more likely to receive crits, status effects, and possibly instant death from light/dark if you are vulnerable.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

While I'm still early on, I find that the game gives you so many essences that it's better to change them out fairly regularly based on what you're fighting, rather than keep one equipped generally. This might change as I encounter stronger demons with more resistances, but I've already switched up MC's affinities a few times to good effect. Hard mode is kind of forcing me to do so for each boss and sub-boss, but a couple times I've found it worth the change even for fighting mobs.

Went with Zhen only resists not nulls dark. But only vulnerable to fire. Keeps me from randomly dying to dark weak anyway. I'll switch when I encounter something that justifies it.

Out of interest for non criting builds does luck do much? Got a couple of Magic focused demons with high luck that I'm not sure if they're actually using.

• Options
    Luck is used for a status effects chance to land and also defense against critical hits/ instant death attacks. A high luck light/dark attack has a higher chance of instantly killing vulnerable enemies as well, so that's a plus for high luck strength builds that want to toss out shards and gems for more turns and a chance of instant death.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I got the level 70 Dragon in the first area down he drops his essence which gives resist to basically everything but massive weakness to dark (It's specifically dark red) so i opted to instead absorb it's skills for "Severe almighty damage to all foes."

• Options
    Talith wrote: »

Difference in level definitely influences damage dealt/taken and critical hit chance. According to players with high luck builds, if they are below 3~ levels or so from the enemy their chance to crit absolutely tanks. When they reach level parity they once again reliably crit. The reverse is true as well, you are more likely to receive crits, status effects, and possibly instant death from light/dark if you are vulnerable.
    Thanks. That's too bad, I hate systems like that. It disincentivizes trying to take on stronger foes, makes side bosses trivial if you reach them a couple levels ahead, and to some degree makes your build less important.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    No I knew it was a legit question! It's totally a thing and I learned this from some of my players in a DnD game once, who kept asking me to read out notes. I thought they just wanted my sultry voice, but after a conversation later I learned the real reason was because reading written things was unpleasant to outright painful, which also prevented them from playing non-fully voiced RPGs like Planescape Torment. So I got into the habit of always reading aloud all written notes from in game etc.

Yea even with the ADD aspect it's a big reason why despite playing all the Yakuza games I was never able to actually get into the stories until Judgment/Y7.

Besides the missing things on screen aspect of looking at subtitles(splitting focus is not a strong suit of mine) I'd also only absorb a fraction of the information from the words because well.. that's how my brain works. A lot of time I think I'm reading words only to realize I'm just looking at them lol.

But I digress, just put subtitle options in your games people! Some people absolutely need them on and others greatly benefit from them being off!

Game is still fantastic just a disappointing bit there.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Ahahahaha goddamnit :lol:
    I just cleared the first Netherworld area and returned to "real" Tokyo. Aogami warned me about a powerful demon during the invasion, so I went to go save my game first. Good thing I did! Blew through the Lamias and their gryphon-thing friends handily, and then... the boss hit me in my Mudo weakness leftover from the Essence I'd used to be immune to one of the last boss's attacks. Died instantly.

So I used a Bicorn essence to make myself immune to Mudo and went back. And in the first round, a Lamia dodged my Zeng Fang's Wind Breath, and a gryphon-thing dodged my Mabufu. And it turns out that Bicorns are weak to the Zio spells that Lamias cast, so I just got blown up in the first three attacks (of eight).

The next attempt went just swimmingly, which I can only credit to my Zeng Fang also being weak to Mudo spells, which distracted the boss long enough for me to kill it. I'd completely forgotten to re-fuse my Bicorn essence so he could have just OHKOed me again. :lol:

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Having some issues.
    Just got to Taito and pretty much everything is pushing my shit in. 4 out of 5 battles always go for the enemy who can generally 2 shot anyone, including my main guy. Do I just need to grind a lot? Some enemies are over 15 levels higher (one was 72!).

• Options
    Apparently super high Vit is hilariously powerful. Nigh invincible.

• Options
    That's the idea, isn't it? It's nice to know that it has merits. Are there any abilities that use VIT as a stat? Some kind of shield bash or something? A gameover-proof support build definitely sounds worthwhile since you can always custom build highpower demons to fit your needs.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Nah, just too much gains to die. https://i.imgur.com/NI2C7Yq.gif

PLA on
  • Options
    Kind of been waffling over stat spread pretty badly, most of it so far has been going into Str though

• Options
    As long as you haven't been mixing strength and magic it should be simple enough to start developing a focus for your strength build with the next 10 levels or so.

It's seems to be a matter of whether you want to get crits from your luck or dedicate passives and support spells to it so you can further focus on STR/AGI/END as needed.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I've committed to a really stupid plan where I raise AGI on levels that are a multiple of 4, LCK on multiples of 3, VIT on multiples of 2, and MAG on any level where the previous don't apply. At level 99, this produces a total stat spread is 32 MAG, 24 LCK, 24 AGI, and 16 VIT. Which is probably going too thin on most stats, but aside from the math I don't have to think about anything with my stats on level-up.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I really haven't seen any indication that Luck is all that worthwhile for crits, honestly

Right now I've been spending almost exclusively in Str with a few points in Vit

It's really just a matter of how much I want to go into Str before I decide the natural increases will raise it to where I want and I can focus on other stats instead

• Options
    I basically only put my level up points into Magic/Vit at a fairly even spread.

The only thing that has managed to hurt me is the Dragon boss you face after clearing the 4 directional gods quest in the first area his Almighty spell halfed my entire teams health to which Idun said "Have an apple."

Vitality is really really good.

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Having some issues.
    Just got to Taito and pretty much everything is pushing my shit in. 4 out of 5 battles always go for the enemy who can generally 2 shot anyone, including my main guy. Do I just need to grind a lot? Some enemies are over 15 levels higher (one was 72!).

Advice behind spoiler:
    There are certain enemies you have to run away from when you start, like Yamata-no-orochi and Cerberus. The best areas to go around gaining some levels are around Shinobazu pond and Ueno itself. Many demons are weak against light spell so you can get really lucky and get a mahamon instant death hit. So if you see a demon you know you can't take, just run away and avoid that area for a while.

Currently trying to find the way to the last three Mimans. Some of these dorks are just hidden in really frustrating places.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I keep seeing that Luck has some effect on crits, but that it often falls behind other factors. On the other hand, it seems to be one of the bigger influences on inflicting and resisting ailments. Someone said they could reliably inflict ailments through an enemy's ailment-resistance (not immunity).

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    A bunch of the bosses are kind of messing with my head because I know some of 'em are much higher level in other SMT games so I expect a tougher fight than I'm actually getting because of course those bosses aren't at the level they were in other SMT games, they're at the level that's appropriate for the area. But I still can't quite shake the feeling that, y'know, they ought to be tougher. Somehow.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm really not sure how I feel about this game so far, but I know I'm pretty let down by the OST.

It's different, but definitely not up to the excellence of IV and IV:A's incredible soundtrack.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    So far it seems that the game is very focused on boss fights. Each area seems set up to prep for the next boss/sub-boss, which are very frequent. In SMT3 I'd sometimes stick with a team or set up for a while, but in this it seems like I'm supposed to prep my party for the boss I'm on, then immediately after defeating it, start rearranging for the next boss.
    Except for Oni and Eligor, both of which were susceptible to the same lightning-heavy build. I actually had more trouble with Oni than Eligor; the strategy was simple but if he recovered from an ailment and got lucky he could wreck my party pretty quick. Eligor was cake even though I was lower level than him; his minions fell quickly and then he was pretty impotent. Pazuzu seems like he'd have been a good fight if I hadn't missed him until I was a couple levels above him; that made the fight trivial thanks to the ill-conceived level scaling system. I'm against the snake lady now, she seems pretty strong.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm really not sure how I feel about this game so far, but I know I'm pretty let down by the OST.

It's different, but definitely not up to the excellence of IV and IV:A's incredible soundtrack.
    I'm actually digging the soundtrack quite a bit. It's very heavy metal for a JRPG. The Tokyo Diet Building theme reminds me of 90s drone metal, and some of the battle themes are pretty badass too. I also dig the post-battle results music, and the sort of trancy Mitama battle theme.

Didn't play 4 or 4A so I can't compare to those. Is there any indication that Atlus might rerelease those games? I'd love to play them but I've never had a 3DS, and don't really want to buy one just for SMT.

Kaputa on
This discussion has been closed.