As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

19596979899101»

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    So far it seems that the game is very focused on boss fights. Each area seems set up to prep for the next boss/sub-boss, which are very frequent. In SMT3 I'd sometimes stick with a team or set up for a while, but in this it seems like I'm supposed to prep my party for the boss I'm on, then immediately after defeating it, start rearranging for the next boss.
    Except for Oni and Eligor, both of which were susceptible to the same lightning-heavy build. I actually had more trouble with Oni than Eligor; the strategy was simple but if he recovered from an ailment and got lucky he could wreck my party pretty quick. Eligor was cake even though I was lower level than him; his minions fell quickly and then he was pretty impotent. Pazuzu seems like he'd have been a good fight if I hadn't missed him until I was a couple levels above him; that made the fight trivial thanks to the ill-conceived level scaling system. I'm against the snake lady now, she seems pretty strong.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm really not sure how I feel about this game so far, but I know I'm pretty let down by the OST.

It's different, but definitely not up to the excellence of IV and IV:A's incredible soundtrack.
    I'm actually digging the soundtrack quite a bit. It's very heavy metal for a JRPG. The Tokyo Diet Building theme reminds me of 90s drone metal, and some of the battle themes are pretty badass too. I also dig the post-battle results music, and the sort of trancy Mitama battle theme.

Didn't play 4 or 4A so I can't compare to those. Is there any indication that Atlus might rerelease those games? I'd love to play them but I've never had a 3DS, and don't really want to buy one just for SMT.

That's a shame, because the 3DS came out swinging with having IV, IV:A, and Soul Hackers, one of my favorite SMT games ever.

Anyway, Kozuka's OSTs for IV are considered incredible, and here's just a few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFuWf_copM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGhYCOlf51g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdT59_cov0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1qS9LMuK8M

Lots of heavy synth, so V's OST is a pretty big shift in tone.

wVEsyIc.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I don't have the grinding DLC, but I somehow managed to end up with 99 Grimoires anyway. Guess I'm gonna pull one of my favourite demons out of the Compendium and boost their levels a bit.
    So far it seems that the game is very focused on boss fights. Each area seems set up to prep for the next boss/sub-boss, which are very frequent. In SMT3 I'd sometimes stick with a team or set up for a while, but in this it seems like I'm supposed to prep my party for the boss I'm on, then immediately after defeating it, start rearranging for the next boss.
    Except for Oni and Eligor, both of which were susceptible to the same lightning-heavy build. I actually had more trouble with Oni than Eligor; the strategy was simple but if he recovered from an ailment and got lucky he could wreck my party pretty quick. Eligor was cake even though I was lower level than him; his minions fell quickly and then he was pretty impotent. Pazuzu seems like he'd have been a good fight if I hadn't missed him until I was a couple levels above him; that made the fight trivial thanks to the ill-conceived level scaling system. I'm against the snake lady now, she seems pretty strong.
    I'm really not sure how I feel about this game so far, but I know I'm pretty let down by the OST.

It's different, but definitely not up to the excellence of IV and IV:A's incredible soundtrack.
    I'm actually digging the soundtrack quite a bit. It's very heavy metal for a JRPG. The Tokyo Diet Building theme reminds me of 90s drone metal, and some of the battle themes are pretty badass too. I also dig the post-battle results music, and the sort of trancy Mitama battle theme.

Didn't play 4 or 4A so I can't compare to those. Is there any indication that Atlus might rerelease those games? I'd love to play them but I've never had a 3DS, and don't really want to buy one just for SMT.

That's a shame, because the 3DS came out swinging with having IV, IV:A, and Soul Hackers, one of my favorite SMT games ever.

I'm pretty fond of the music in the opening trailer of Soul Hackers. Though I've never attempted to fully understand the lyrics because I think that might only hurt the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gez-DOsC3Ko

WotanAnubis on
  • ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

These are my favourite boss themes so far: Battle theme - Boss battle and Battle theme six. I think a lot of the overworld themes can be a bit more dull, but fits with the exploration. Don't read the comments! They are full of spoilers. Currently bashing my head against a certain boss.

Endgame spoiler:
    Shiva is a complete bastard. Just how both you need to keep one of his minions alive in order to not make him use superpowerful skills. And due to his massive health pool and if you don't kill off their healers he can just get a 24 000 heal. So currently experimenting with different teams and have gotten him to 45 % before my resources run out (somas, bead chains, pots). So gonna do some money stuff to get a better team, set up their skills, use incense on them.

Erlec on
    steam_sig.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Beat the first boss. Two tries.
    Setup was Azumi, Mermaid, Angel. Protagonist used Ice Gems/shards, Bufu from Azumi and Mermaid, Angel did healing or used the Dormina it inherited to put Hydra to sleep at the end of my turn. Came in with fully charged magatsuhi, used it the first turn, built up a second to finish off.

First try I got real close but had some bad luck with crits from Hydra's hit-all physical move.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Talith
  • WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    I just beat the second major boss, and I wouldn't have won without having a tank and Tarunda.

Vitality reduces damage by a lot, and it helps so much to focus the bosses single target attacks on a tough demon with Taunt. Combined with double stacked Tarunda I found I could keep up with boss damage.

Bosses are tuned to be tests of endurance. You aren't going to blow out a boss in a single turn of 8x weakness crits (at least where I am at). You will get them to 50% and then they turn around and kill you on their turn.

cj iwakura
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Waveform wrote: »
    I just beat the second major boss, and I wouldn't have won without having a tank and Tarunda.

Vitality reduces damage by a lot, and it helps so much to focus the bosses single target attacks on a tough demon with Taunt. Combined with double stacked Tarunda I found I could keep up with boss damage.

Bosses are tuned to be tests of endurance. You aren't going to blow out a boss in a single turn of 8x weakness crits (at least where I am at). You will get them to 50% and then they turn around and kill you on their turn.

Unless you can shut them down with ailments.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I only just noticed, but it seems like the "Breath" attacks (Fire, Ice, and Wind Breath, plus Shockbound), despite saying they do "2-5 hits to random targets", have a hard cap of two hits for any individual target, making them roughly as powerful as the mid-tier spell of their element against any single target. I've been using them as a "set it and forget it" option for the Nahobino, but in light of the hit cap they're just straight-up worse in terms of MP economy for a single target, and boss fights are where you need your MP economy the most.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    BarrakkethKaputa
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Since we'll probably need a new thread at some point, titles suggestions welcome.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Man, when did Jack Frost become a lv25 fusion?

Lil guy is moving up in the world.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    cj iwakuraAndy JoeDonnicton
    I feel like the bosses should not be this much trouble.

wVEsyIc.png
    Kupi wrote: »
    I only just noticed, but it seems like the "Breath" attacks (Fire, Ice, and Wind Breath, plus Shockbound), despite saying they do "2-5 hits to random targets", have a hard cap of two hits for any individual target, making them roughly as powerful as the mid-tier spell of their element against any single target. I've been using them as a "set it and forget it" option for the Nahobino, but in light of the hit cap they're just straight-up worse in terms of MP economy for a single target, and boss fights are where you need your MP economy the most.

That's the same for all variable hit to random target spells, I believe. I've never seen Mermaid's unique spell hit a lone target more than thrice.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Importantly, a firm number of hits like "8" or "15" without variance seems to really mean it. There is also a magatsuhi-skill that forces variable numbers to the maximal value.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Cleaned up the second boss pretty easy
    Pyro Frost, Rakshasa, and Shiisaa on heals

Essence fused a Sudama for Force immunity, and literally every Zanma targeted Nahobino

• KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Cleaned up the second boss pretty easy
    Pyro Frost, Rakshasa, and Shiisaa on heals

Essence fused a Sudama for Force immunity, and literally every Zanma targeted Nahobino
    I was expecting a brutal endurance battle, given how little damage I did on my first attempt, so I spent a while reconfiguring my party to do heavy fire damage and resist force. Even then I was thinking "why does this boss have this much HP? I'm going to run out of resources no matter what I do." Then the fight ends at half HP lol, I over prepared for that one.

That set up carried over fairly nicely to the tortoise optional boss in the first area, though, so I suppose it was worth it.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah the way you guys are describing bosses I'm probably gonna just play normal. I don't like stuff that overstays it's welcome.

Something I liked about SMT4 is that bosses died relatively quickly if you knew what you were doing.

Dragkonias on
    It feels like the bosses have inflated HP levels, so even if I figure out their weakness, there is a lot of time to just get a fluke OHKO, which happened several times against
    Loupe Garou
    and his BS physical attacks. And this is on Normal, I can't even fathom starting it on Hard.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I am so glad that having a tank demon actually works! I'm pretty far into area 2 now at level 32 and man, all the abilities just really start coming together. Taunt is SO GOOD. It really does make enemies far more likely to attack that demon. Throw that on a real tanky demon and you are in business. I can already see all sorts of cool ways to build a tank demon as time goes on. Give them attacks that also drop stats to use between taunts that buss stats. They can be like a 1 stop shop buffer/debuffer that tanks and deals some damage!

Also also, I just wanna say that I love how much better MC progression feels in this than Persona games. Unique abilities are the BEST idea ever. So much cooler to get a brand new attack with a special animation that you haven't already seen used by a random enemy 600 times for your main character.

Up to this point on normal bosses definitely don't feel sponge-y. Can still die to one random bad turn but a turn 1 crit magatsuhi is like 1/4 of their healthbar right off the bat. Then it's just surviving the next few turns while dealing as much damage as I can before the next magatsuhi to finish them off.

Almost all the bad turns have been a bad decision on my part. Like not passing to make sure a certain demon get back around to guard or miss counting the buff timers and having them drop off or something like that. And those single bad decisions do lead to a game over most of the time. The occasional whiff > weakness will also be the OTKO as well though. But the actual battle from start to finish seem like a relatively small amount of turns actually.

Andy Joe
    edited November 2021
    I'm still fairly early in the game, but so far, this game's characters are feeling really paint by numbers. IV and even SJ's characters weren't exactly shining pillars of originality or anything, but at least you kind of get to know them.

Here it goes from
    "Hi [person!]! Wow too bad about all those killings! See you later!"

Hours later...

"I AM THE LORD OF THE ANGELS AND THE SAINT GIVEN FLESH
    BOW TO ME"

The only interesting character so far has been (Shinagawa/Area 2)
    The bullied girl who flat out murders her bullies.
    No grey area, she just flat out mercs them.

More people like that, less anime tropes.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So far I think the bosses on hard are a bit too tanky. It's not extreme but it does mean that Rakunda and spamming weaknesses has been the core of the strategy pretty much every time, since that + Magatsuhi all-crit is the only way I've found to do sufficient damage.
    I like the possession story with Lahmu, he's a good villain. Didn't love the linear high school dungeon, though.

Kaputa on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Just starting Area 4 and I'm starting to think that thinking about SMT V in terms of Law/Neutral/Chaos is... somewhat imprecise.
    I think a more accurate description of how the alignments are lining up would be something like Monotheism/Polytheism/Atheism.

Of course, nobody has gone explicitly crazy yet, so the alignments aren't that established just yet.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    At 150 glory it has a steep price tag but as far as I can tell Demonic Discipline gives your reserve demons full battle XP even if they didn't participate and that is pretty damn nice.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    At 150 glory it has a steep price tag but as far as I can tell Demonic Discipline gives your reserve demons full battle XP even if they didn't participate and that is pretty damn nice.

That's definitely one I'm skipping. There's SOOOO many ways to level up demons if you need to give one some extra oomph. And the reserve demons get full quest XP already so the battle xp isn't going to make a crazy huge difference in the long run. Unless you are like actively switching through a bunch of demons in and out of your party constantly but also not fusing regularly(because if you are just replacing your lower levels with current levels regularly an extra level on a reserve demon before you fuse probably isn't very impactful). Then I guess that might be nice?

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It's really nice when holding onto demons for fusion fodder and bonus stats when you finally fuse. If you're grinding grimoires and keeping key substitutes on par that way then it definitely shouldn't be a priority, of course. It also pairs nicely with holding off on using the petrified demon statues until you're ready to clear the area, as they just add a level to your whole roster, letting you get your main lineup above MC's level and higher level fusion fodder as a bonus.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Time for a new one, friends.

Andy Joe
This discussion has been closed.