As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The game doesn't really make it super clear that you can lightly tap left or right to adjust your hiding angle or go around corners, but it really helps you to completely avoid enemies since you're undetectable when you're locked on to walls

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    The game doesn't really make it super clear that you can lightly tap left or right to adjust your hiding angle or go around corners, but it really helps you to completely avoid enemies since you're undetectable when you're locked on to walls

This I wasn't aware of. I guess I assumed there was some line of site detection involved.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Magic Pink
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    General persona question I realize I don't really know the answer to.

Do weapons affect the damage of physical skills? Or is that purely based on strength?

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Its not a light tap. Press l stick to rotate around hiding spots. Adjust camera to change angles to see if you can target a new enemy or hiding spot.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Its not a light tap. Press l stick to rotate around hiding spots. Adjust camera to change angles to see if you can target a new enemy or hiding spot.

I find that if I do any more than a light tap I end up leaving cover and generally right when I'm on top of a shadow

Magic PinkskeldareReynolds
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Ah, yes, the "I'mma sneak up on yo ass--whoashit--showmeyourtrueface, please--FUCKMESURROUNDED" move.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    Magic Pinkjoshofalltrades
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Do weapons affect the damage of physical skills? Or is that purely based on strength?

It depends on the game, but the vast majority of SMT games the only thing it affects is basic attack. Physical attack skills are based on strength. (note that weapons may have a +strength bonus)

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

It depends on the game, but the vast majority of SMT games the only thing it affects is basic attack. Physical attack skills are based on strength. (note that weapons may have a +strength bonus)

Ok cool. So for a phys attacker the bonus on the weapon is more important than the the actual attack stat.

Like auto tarukaja would get you more damage on skills than a higher attack regardless of the attack value.

PLADonnicton
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

This I wasn't aware of. I guess I assumed there was some line of site detection involved.

I think they tried to demonstrate this in the tutorial where a dude walks right by your hiding place despite it no longer blocking LOS but it doesn't really sink in.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure they outright say that if you're hiding enemies will never see you in the tutorial popup

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Tcheldor
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Dungeon 1 is kinda bizarrely difficult in comparison to Dungeon 2, but I guess they really wanted you to take Dungeon 1 slow.

Kelor
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I learned quickly in the first dungeon to not fuck around with lvl 16 Virtue... I think that's the Persona's name. Two zios and two AOA will take him down easily. I kept trying to do one and attack the rest of the time, and it only took one miss to ruin the plan. And MC really likes to miss that sunofabitch.

Basically work really hard to kill him before he moves. He usually does Double Fang twice. Once nearly kills anyone in the party at full health, twice is guaranteed. And he has a really goddamn infuriating tendency to hit MC twice immediately and shaft you.

BTW, dying a lot there made me understand another tactic. Use the saferooms often. I believe all you have to do is enter one, not physically save, and if you die you can go back to the last time you visited the saferoom. Use that to its fullest.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

No effect on skills. Weapons kind of function as if they were separate physical skills. Well, and a statboost or something, if the weapon has that.

PLA on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm trying to debate if i want to sell the Soma you get from the free pack to afford better equipment.

Zunde wrote: »
    I'm trying to debate if i want to sell the Soma you get from the free pack to afford better equipment.

SELL THAT SHIT.

joshofalltradesMagic PinkDonnictonakajaybayvegeta_666
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Where the hell do I claim those in-game, anyway? Almost to May.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Where the hell do I claim those in-game, anyway? Almost to May.

Cardboard box in your room.

ztrEPtD.gif
    PLA
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular

Ok cool. So for a phys attacker the bonus on the weapon is more important than the the actual attack stat.

Like auto tarukaja would get you more damage on skills than a higher attack regardless of the attack value.

Depends on how you play.

I find myself using autoattack for a lot of enemies to conserve my SP as much as possible.

In other words, if you do a lot of grinding, your default attack option gets tons of use.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    If your grinding mobs and one enemy plees at you not to kill it just press circle and go back to fighting. I just realized this now after playing for quite a long time.

"No I don't want your mercy with a devil fruit now die....mwhahaha!"

Yeah there's no debate as far as I'm concerned. ¥50,000 is inarguably more useful in the early game than a single-use item, no matter how powerful it is.

DemonStaceyMagic Pink
    Drez wrote: »

Depends on how you play.

I find myself using autoattack for a lot of enemies to conserve my SP as much as possible.

In other words, if you do a lot of grinding, your default attack option gets tons of use.

Oh yea. I mean I'm not min-maxing for regular mobs. I meant for pure damage output against bosses and the like. But yes thank you!

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Is the soma the consumable that restores 50 sp? I think I may have used that in a push for a safe room after I fucked up a couple ambushes, but I may have just taken the L and played through that stretch again had I known I could sell it for that much

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Is the soma the consumable that restores 50 sp? I think I may have used that in a push for a safe room after I fucked up a couple ambushes, but I may have just taken the L and played through that stretch again had I known I could sell it for that much

Soma should be full hp/sp

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular

Soma should be full hp/sp
    Ah, thanks! This is great news that frees me up to focus more on kicking myself over all the other resources I've mismanaged

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    There's no weather forecast in this game, is there? Makes planning ahead kinda difficult.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    I mainly use weapons with ailments or crit-bonus, if there isn't anything unusual like High Counter.

There's a couple tips if you're short on money, especially early game.

Minor gameplay things.
    Sun rank 2 gives you the chance to extort indefinitely (until they get angry and battle resumes), and you can generally get them to give up cash at least 2-3 times, especially if they're weaker than you. I'm talking around ~1500-2000 per success too for things in the second dungeon range (level 10-20) if you're lucky, which adds up super super fast. Be sure to use the highest luck persona you can though, because the range is pretty broad, so they can also cough up as little as ~400 per success. Still significant, but not as much so.

Be warned though, that Sun rank 3 pretty much replaces it with extorting a lot more, but only once whereupon they retreat, which generally works out to WAAAAAAY less, and doesn't get you the exp/money/drops for killing them on top of it.

You'll want to rank Sun up eventually, but there's another trick that's also decent, especially on certain enemies later in the game, but is even more dependent on your luck stat and you won't get a lot of benefit out of it if it's low. When confused, enemies can drop money or items. A few specific ones drop extremely boosted amounts of money. I think the first ones you can find in Mementos are around level 40, so mid/late in the game.

And don't forget to sell all the random minor treasures you pick up in the dungeons too.

ztrEPtD.gif

SELL THAT SHIT.

But I only have eightyfive of them.

DemonStaceyDonnictonTcheldorReynolds
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    There's a couple tips if you're short on money, especially early game.

Minor gameplay things.
    Sun rank 2 gives you the chance to extort indefinitely (until they get angry and battle resumes), and you can generally get them to give up cash at least 2-3 times, especially if they're weaker than you. I'm talking around ~1500-2000 per success too for things in the second dungeon range (level 10-20) if you're lucky, which adds up super super fast. Be sure to use the highest luck persona you can though, because the range is pretty broad, so they can also cough up as little as ~400 per success. Still significant, but not as much so.

Be warned though, that Sun rank 3 pretty much replaces it with extorting a lot more, but only once whereupon they retreat, which generally works out to WAAAAAAY less, and doesn't get you the exp/money/drops for killing them on top of it.

You'll want to rank Sun up eventually, but there's another trick that's also decent, especially on certain enemies later in the game, but is even more dependent on your luck stat and you won't get a lot of benefit out of it if it's low. When confused, enemies can drop money or items. A few specific ones drop extremely boosted amounts of money. I think the first ones you can find in Mementos are around level 40, so mid/late in the game.

And don't forget to sell all the random minor treasures you pick up in the dungeons too.

Note on the spoiler here.
    Memento bosses throw down huge amounts. Do this to the first memento boss. should be very early in the game do-able not mid game at all. Like 20k+ per round of thrown money by the third dungeon sorta cash.

Also question about the Sun thing.

If what is said above is true then how does this work:

https://samurai-gamers.com/persona-5/easy-method-earn-money/

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Yeah there's no debate as far as I'm concerned. ¥50,000 is inarguably more useful in the early game than a single-use item, no matter how powerful it is.

Personally I didn't feel like I needed money for much in the early game. Holding onto that Soma was the only reason I managed to fullclear Palace #3 in one day.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Personally I didn't feel like I needed money for much in the early game. Holding onto that Soma was the only reason I managed to fullclear Palace #3 in one day.

That 50k is half of one of the sp accessories or even an entire sp accesory pending confidant rank!

edited April 2017
    Also question about the Sun thing.

If what is said above is true then how does this work:

https://samurai-gamers.com/persona-5/easy-method-earn-money/

Clarification on that, and dredging up from the recesses of my mind with a glance at Japanese wikis to make sure I'm not completely talking out of my ass.
    The rank 3 is a chance to extort a 'huge' amount, but it's a one time only and then they go free, and it's influenced by both your level and your luck, so if you're trying to farm weaker (safer) things with high luck for better output, it gets in your way. The huge bonus is IIRC just like 50-100% depending on your luck. So if it triggers, you're back to the original thing of one and done. If it doesn't, you're good to go.

Side note: The high pixies are the perfect thing to abuse with it because like the early pixies, they don't attack, and will call in other high pixies for even more money per extortion, but you want to go back to extorting the original so you don't trigger the "huge amount" bonus which lets 'em immediately run.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    DemonStacey
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular

That 50k is half of one of the sp accessories or even an entire sp accesory pending confidant rank!

By the time I've got Death that high I've full cleared Palace 1 and the first set of Mementos and money was never an issue after that.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787

By the time I've got Death that high I've full cleared Palace 1 and the first set of Mementos and money was never an issue after that.

And then, there's Fortune and Temperance.

The money pits.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    There's no weather forecast in this game, is there? Makes planning ahead kinda difficult.

Is it not listed on the calendar?

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    So, I'm in July in P5, and have some theories about what's going on in the game. I have no clue how accurate these are, and these spoilers will also have some mention of Persona 2 and for the Rank 5/6 Strength confidant.
    My current belief is that Persona 5 is a split dimension/timeline the way that Persona 2 Eternal Punishment was splintered from Persona 2 Innocent Sin. P5 looks to me like another battle between Philemon and Nyarlathotep,
    and that Nyarlathotep won in round one. The opening scene in the interrogation room with Philemon's butterfly was him intervening in the timeline before that loss and using the PC's interrogation to change the past creating a new timeline where Philemon can win.

What triggered these thoughts is how Justine first started getting confused about how the Persona creation list came to be,
    and then in Rank 6 how she was feeling nostalgic about helping the PC grow, even though this was the first time she had done so. Because the Velvet Room exists outside the normal world, its entirely possible that its inhabitants would have some vague memory of the first time around. I'm also starting to think that the female voice who reads when the confidant contracts are created and speaks on other occasions might even be a grown up Justine/Caroline who survived despite the PC having lost in the previous timeline.

There is also the point that Igor is very insistent upon rehabilitation, even though we know at this point that the PC has done nothing wrong. Igor also seems insistent that rehabilitation = strength. To me, this says that he's clued in that the PC lost round 1 in this battle between Philemon and Nyarlathotep, and is now under orders to get the PC whipped into shape. For P3 & P4, Igor was there but simply watching the PC's act. He's taking a much more direct hand this time given he's the Fool confidant, and I just can't see him doing that without Philemon telling him to.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

Is it not listed on the calendar?

Nope.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Now I'm arguing with GameFAQs people who are claiming that EXP gain is not impacted by how many party members you have.

I just disproved this.

My control enemy configuration is 3 Sudamas.

At level 23, based on "EXP to next level" before and after the battle:

Solo: I gained 184 EXP
    Full Party: MC gained 105 EXP

At level 24:

Solo: MC gained 146 EXP
    Full Party: MC gained 83 EXP

Literally everyone is telling me I'm wrong, and I can't take video to prove I am right. Can someone else please confirm I am not crazy?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Now I'm arguing with GameFAQs people...
    That's your first mistake. Never has there been a bigger bunch of contrarians who would double- and triple-down on being wrong.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    DrezRaiden333Donnictonskeldare
This discussion has been closed.