As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Difficulty definitely steps up a bit in Palace #3. On the plus side, I can now have one of my backup members heal the main party, which helps a lot.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I think this might be my favorite Persona protagonist character. No real spoilers, just general stuff, I'm in late May
    He has the best lines for being an aloof badass who thinks all of this supernatural shit is beneath him. Also I love how much of an asshole you can be to Ann. I don't even dislike Ann, I think she's awesome. I just don't plan on romancing her and I think it's hilarious whenever she's like "You'll stick up for me, right protagonist-kun?"
    and I totally sandbag her.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Last night, I purchased a full set of Adhesive 3 accessories while working my way through the second castle.

It's like night and day. Holy shit. Everything is getting wrecked, no fucks given about SP.

How the heck did you afford that? I could barely afford one starting dungeon three.
    Once you get Sun 2 and the ability to extort money repeatedly, your money problems become a thing of the past.

When is Sun available?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Last night, I purchased a full set of Adhesive 3 accessories while working my way through the second castle.

It's like night and day. Holy shit. Everything is getting wrecked, no fucks given about SP.

How the heck did you afford that? I could barely afford one starting dungeon three.
    Once you get Sun 2 and the ability to extort money repeatedly, your money problems become a thing of the past.

When is Sun available?

Fairly early on, he's the politician in Shibuya square.

You can only go at night though.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Question about negotiations.
    Anyone got any hints for negotiating with irritable persona? I haven't succeeded a single one.

Example?

I'm still in the first palace.
    So far, I've only seen a couple irritable types: the horned horse thing you find early in the palace and then the mounted cavalry guy you find a bit later. Can't remember the names off the top of my head, but I can't seem to figure out what to say to them.

I believe they prefer the violent/insulting answers.

Thanks, that helps. Got my first one off of it.
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Question about negotiations.
    Anyone got any hints for negotiating with irritable persona? I haven't succeeded a single one.

From previous page:
    28mmhh5afr3b.jpg

That'll be useful. Not sure how I overlooked it. Thanks.

Kelor wrote: »

When is Sun available?

Ah, I did finally get that started then. I just need to meet up with him and activate it now. But at night? Does that mean I do just keep going back to where I first meet him? I assumed it was where he was during the day.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

When is Sun available?

Ah, I did finally get that started then. I just need to meet up with him and activate it now. But at night? Does that mean I do just keep going back to where I first meet him? I assumed it was where he was during the day.

You have to work the beef bowl place twice first.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Surprised you don't get level up screens for the rest of the party.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yea I noticed it once one of them learned a new skill so it showed the screen with the stat gains. I was like wait... why doesn't it always show me the stat gains?

• temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    First Persona game, and honestly first non "mainstream" RPG if that makes any sense and I'm having an absolute blast. I tend to avoid dungeon crawlers because they always seemed so boring and grindy to me, but P5 seems to nail the pacing. Granted I'm only about halfway in the first dungeon, but it feels so right.

My big worry with this game is time management, I'm terrified I'm gonna miss out on something or skip leveling a character. The social aspect is really really cool but I'm worried I'll run out of time if I don't grind out the dungeon.

I've also read some people complaining about the English VO work but I think it's really good, I'm especially enjoying Ryuji. I think he nails anger and frustration.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The Art of Persona 5 is up for preorder at Amazon if anyone's interested, looks like it's going for only $24.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0744017319

wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    My big worry with this game is time management, I'm terrified I'm gonna miss out on something or skip leveling a character. The social aspect is really really cool but I'm worried I'll run out of time if I don't grind out the dungeon.

There's a good spoiler-free walkthrough on GameFaqs that you can follow if you're super set on getting everything on the first playthrough. Otherwise yes, you are going to miss things.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Yea I noticed it once one of them learned a new skill so it showed the screen with the stat gains. I was like wait... why doesn't it always show me the stat gains?

Because it doesn't matter tbh.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Blackjack wrote: »

I like to know how my team's allocating their stats, thank you very much.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

It's pretty obvious from their skills, you're quite welcome.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited April 2017

It's pretty obvious from their skills, you're quite welcome.

Well, they go to the trouble of using the MC's art for his level up, can't see why they couldn't for the rest of the team. For something that's so polished in every other way, feels like a weird oversight. Each of the team gets similar splash screens in every other game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Do buffs/debuffs stack multiple times in this one? When I used a second rakunda it said it "extended" the debuff. And I wasn't paying close enough attention to see my damage went up again. Should I be doing the ol triple cast still or is just one good?

It adds turns. It's kind of more convenient to double up at the start than to stop and reapply all the time, though. Avoids having to hit something while it's gone and it isn't the debuffer's turn yet.

PLA on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Do buffs/debuffs stack multiple times in this one? When I used a second rakunda it said it "extended" the debuff. And I wasn't paying close enough attention to see my damage went up again. Should I be doing the ol triple cast still or is just one good?

It adds turns. It's kind of more convenient to double up at the start than to stop and reapply all the time, though. Avoids having to hit something while it's gone and it isn't the debuffer's turn yet.

iiinteresting. So it adds 3 extra turns to it instead of increasing the effectiveness?

I like that much better actually. Rad.

Hey man some of us like to see that stuff!

They only get 3 per level up. I need to see what spread they are using.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

There's a good spoiler-free walkthrough on GameFaqs that you can follow if you're super set on getting everything on the first playthrough. Otherwise yes, you are going to miss things.

It's important to note that that's how to get literally every trophy possible in the game (aside from clearing some NG+ only things) in one playthrough with no major save/loading, not merely how to get all the Confidants maxed. There's three straight weeks at the end of it spent on nothing but the dumber grind trophies (eg read all the books or play all the video games), providing you literally no benefit whatsoever at that point, something you could do from pretty much any late game save in about fifteen minutes and then simply reload once the trophy's registered to get the time 'back'. It's not even an optimal one either. There's a Japanese one that finishes all the Confidants a week or two earlier. P5 is WAAAAAY easier on the NG time crunch than even P4, to say nothing of the nigh impossibility without a guide of P3.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

It's important to note that that's how to get literally every trophy possible in the game (aside from clearing some NG+ only things) in one playthrough with no major save/loading, not merely how to get all the Confidants maxed. There's three straight weeks at the end of it spent on nothing but the dumber grind trophies (eg read all the books or play all the video games), providing you literally no benefit whatsoever at that point, something you could do from pretty much any late game save in about fifteen minutes and then simply reload once the trophy's registered to get the time 'back'. It's not even an optimal one either. There's a Japanese one that finishes all the Confidants a week or two earlier. P5 is WAAAAAY easier on the NG time crunch than even P4, to say nothing of the nigh impossibility without a guide of P3.

I'd never get the Platinum anyway, because they added another 'hear all 250 navigator lines' trophy, and fuck that trophy in the ear.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    For anyone who was hesitant about the PS3 version, it is pretty damn great and works perfectly. The only problem I had is it took 4 hours to download from PSN and another 2 hour to install. So take that into account if you buy it digitally. There are load times but it's really not bad. Wish I had more time in each day to do stuff, still kinda limited in what I do each day but I think it opened up. Can't find time to make some lockpicks. :( I GOTTA LOOT ALL THE CHESTS. I was thinking of naming my crew Run The Jewels, I had another name but I forgot it.

only 12 character spots. So that sadly wouldn't fit despite being very appropriate.

Also, I'm going to use A$AP Thieves my fellow rap fan!

Second rap fan note, in case anyone didn't know that Danny Brown is a Persona fan

He even has a cat named Chie. <3 Danny Brown <3

It should fit in 12 if I don't use spaces. Yay! hehe

akirasig.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Futaba is super cute

Why is every party member so stinkin' great

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

I'd never get the Platinum anyway, because they added another 'hear all 250 navigator lines' trophy, and fuck that trophy in the ear.

True story, I got that trophy in P4G by accident on my first playthrough

I couldn't understand how everybody was having trouble with it

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm just going to say, about third palace and those that may be worried time management.
    Mid lvl 20, literally can make infiltration the first time you enter (properly) all the way, just bring 3 lock picks. I have now 16 days to wait for change of heart, which is loads of time.

Handy hint by the way, if you got weak ass enemies like high pixies that cast dormina just let them sleep you and get your sp back. Very handy.

Genji-Gloves on
    edited April 2017
    Are there optional bosses after clearing a Palace?
    Guess not...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Are there optional bosses after clearing a Palace?
    Guess not...

Aside from mementos requests, no. Palaces are gone for good after you beat the boss.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular

Yeah I'm not terribly worried about missing something small like a book or whatever. Rarely do I try to 100% games or care about trophies personally, I'm more about maximizing the experience. Having the best team stats and stuff like that doesn't interest me, I'm just wanting to have fun. Like I said above, it's my first time playing a game like this and in the back of my head I'm worried I'll mess up major somehow but I'm about 10 hours in and the full game seems to have opened up proper and all seems good so I'm not worried.

I will add that the music in this game is absolutely fantastic and all of the little touches like the end battle stats screen, or any screen in this game for that matter is perfect. I started playing through the Kingdom Hearts series that just released on the PS4 and forgot P5 was coming out so I thought about finishing the KH collection before grabbing this.

Real glad I put KH on hold now.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine

I've also read some people complaining about the English VO work but I think it's really good, I'm especially enjoying Ryuji. I think he nails anger and frustration.

Don't worry about time too much, you'll have lots of time over the course of the game unless you're trying to do literally everything in one go, which is so particular that I imagine it sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

I totally agree about Ryuji, he's probably the most expressive and impressive VA of any I've run into so far.

As much as I liked parts of Teddy, I think I like Morgana more. Teddy was a goofball, Morgana is a goddamn professional.

Don't worry about time too much, you'll have lots of time over the course of the game unless you're trying to do literally everything in one go, which is so particular that I imagine it sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

I totally agree about Ryuji, he's probably the most expressive and impressive VA of any I've run into so far.

As much as I liked parts of Teddy, I think I like Morgana more. Teddy was a goofball, Morgana is a goddamn professional.

Well, he is, until
    he sees treasure

edited April 2017
    Just going to say a minor thing... but...

(Third dungeon spoilers)
    Dammit I hear Makoto go, "Fist of justice!" and can't help thinking Chie.

I'm enjoying it.

And something that bothers me (interval between 2 and 3)
    God dammit there is only one detective prince. Get this imposter out of here.

Though honestly Naoto would take all of five seconds to catch on. About the moment Morgana opens his mouth. Would be hideously unfair.

Polaritie on
    Not being able to backtrack for missed Persona doesn't sound fun. And how will I grind during palace downtime?!

wVEsyIc.png
    Not being able to backtrack for missed Persona doesn't sound fun. And how will I grind during palace downtime?!

Mementos. The Tartarus of the game, but with more constantly crashing into walls.

ztrEPtD.gif
    I haven't really bothered grinding much so far because when you hit a new dungeon you naturally level up faster anyways.

Maybe that changes but I'm almost up to the third dungeon and it's been fine thus far, I'm at the average level most of the time.

If you reach the end of mementos each interval you'll be fine for sure.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I've never had to go to Mementos specifically to grind. Usually I just try to fight as much as possible when I'm in a palace or doing a side quest in mementos, though within reason as far as SP goes. If I'm done with what I set out to do, I stick around and fight some more if there's a level I need to fuse something for that's close.

I'm usually several levels above the average as a result.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I missed the last safe room in the first palace and so had to replay a small stretch during the treasure run, and I've been overleveled since. Maybe halfway through the second one currently.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    I was so annoyed, I checked out for the day via the elevator then came back the following day to the first dungeon and it took all of about five minutes to hit the save room.

And then immediately got booted out to do the calling card.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I've been underleveled all game. Not sure how...

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    I missed the last safe room in the first palace and so had to replay a small stretch during the treasure run, and I've been overleveled since. Maybe halfway through the second one currently.

There's a spike in power/level in tower area in the first dungeon, and most Japanese guides I've seen recommend grinding on the... arch angels I think there for the great exp/money drops for since enemy fights compared to most of the second dungeon's large groups of lower level. Those things can smack you up good with the physical attacks though.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Managed to put some time in today. Slammed through the first dungeon in one day and have been doing social links and studying waiting for the first deadline. Just curious what level everyone's MC was/is when then finished the first palace. I ended up at lvl 10.

This discussion has been closed.