Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I tend to focus on intelligence and guts first just because those two tend to gatekeep a lot of stuff in these games.

The Death social link has some really powerful items and is locked behind level two Guts.

Temperance needs rank 3 and you need I think rank 4 for something to do with the weapon shop.

Once I found out the diner gives bonuses for studying while raining that became my default rainy day option till I hit rank two intelligence. You get a point in guts for ordering coffee too.

Burger shop is good for guts if you take the challenge.

Kelor on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Do is there any skill I should be grinding out like mad? Like how in P3 you needed to grind out knowledge like a freaking mad man to get it to max before a certain day. Is there anything like that in P5?

I've heard people have been caught unawares by exams, so I've been studying a lot. Also because Sojiro will cook Morgana in a coffee pot if I don't.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Do is there any skill I should be grinding out like mad? Like how in P3 you needed to grind out knowledge like a freaking mad man to get it to max before a certain day. Is there anything like that in P5?

I've heard people have been caught unawares by exams, so I've been studying a lot. Also because Sojiro will cook Morgana in a coffee pot if I don't.

You get very little for doing well on the tests. For the first, IIRC, it's 3 charm points for 'good' (req mid knowledge), and 5 charm points plus a crappy accessory for 'perfect.'

Knowledge is actually pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things, which is good because it takes like 3-4 times as many points to level, but that also means it's good to just always be working on it. Guts is the most important at the start as rank 2/3/4 are required to each start a different early-game Confidant, one of them being very good and indirectly helps build points in other stats. Guts also requires the fewest points to level. You'll also want to focus on at least a level of Kindness early. After that... eh, whichever. You'll need every stat at rank 5 to complete some Confidant or another, so whichever. Proficiency is probably good to focus, since rank 5 is required to start a confidant while all the rest just block a confidant past a certain level, but it's a pretty late game one, and doesn't do really anything for you in terms of unlocking confidants until that point.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Makoto has a fairly steep stat requirement: 3 knowledge just to start it, and then 5 charm to get past a certain rank.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    This is very important.

Can you date Yusuke? He's kinda the best.

No. It is tragic. You can date all of the non Velvet Twins (and one other spoiler-y one) lady Confidants, but none of the dudes.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    This is very important.

No. It is tragic. You can date all of the non Velvet Twins (and one other spoiler-y one) lady Confidants, but none of the dudes.

No FeMC. No Gay Options. =(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    This is very important.

This game about subverting society's expectations and norms features only a straight dude that women fall all over, thank you very much.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This is very important.

This game about subverting society's expectations and norms features only a straight dude that women fall all over, thank you very much.

But Not Too Rebellious.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This is very important.

And the localization of which was strictly overseen by Atlus JP in every possible way.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    This is very important.

Yuki Mishima is a total power bottom.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    This is very important.

And the localization of which was strictly overseen by Atlus JP in every possible way.

Which is why I don't expect miracles. Japan's catching up to America in terms of social acceptance, and that's awfully depressing to say.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    20 odd years later, and Persona 2 is somehow still the most progressive game in the series.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I finished the first palace in one day and ended up at level 18.

I did.. a lot of grinding

Sheeesh. I one day'd it on hard at lvl11.

It was a lot of avoiding fights till later on and abusing Slime + Mokoi for resist physical and for super high Str/Agi with status effect enhanced physical attacks.

How the bloody hell did you get to lvl18 without really strong SP regen?

I'm playing on Normal after selling my Soma and some early grinding in the first areas where you're forced to explore the palace (You can respawn enemys by saving/reloading) I was able to buy a full set of Melee/guns and Armor with +10 SP accessories right off the bat. 90% of the fights are won in a single round so i was able to pretty much go until i was completely 100% tapped out before i triggered the "We found the treasure" scene

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    The velvet room is seriously so good this time around. Very streamlined, very flexible.

Think this is the most fun I've had fusing. Long as I don't have to get pierce again I'm happy.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Okay, start of the third palace is where I'm running across bullshit insta-wipes. Just feeling out new monsters to see what their weaknesses are and I end up getting chain rampaged. Fun stuff

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Strength 6 speculation (and seriously, spoilers)
    Justine (or the both of them) is one of the prior residents.

She wrote the list and got blanked or something... actually given they each have an eye covered and such makes me think they were originally the same person.

Elizabeth broke the rules and makes her a candidate. Margaret is also possible, and didn't leave the Velvet Room.

Theodore is a technical possibility but it's totally not Theodore and you know it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I really don't like the way the game keeps giving me so many dialogue options to be mean to or mock Mishima.

Guy is really awkward and his his own problems but the rest of the cast go over their woe is me tragic pasts and wear them as some kind of badge of honor, say they want to help the weak, then want me to dump all over Mishima.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm loving the fact that the protagonist adjusts his gloves even while running.

Style doesn't keep itself maintained, you know.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Okay, start of the third palace is where I'm running across bullshit insta-wipes. Just feeling out new monsters to see what their weaknesses are and I end up getting chain rampaged. Fun stuff

Yep! Same thing happened to me. Forced me to go into Mementos for a day (I'd been neglecting it) to grind out some Personas, fuse together some new kits, and start shaking up my playstyle.

Slightly more direct hints:
    You should be level 19 or so now, which means you can start fusing personas that get Psi element attacks. Psi element attacks get a Tech damage bonus on any enemies who have a status ailment inflicted on them, which you should also be getting a lot of abilities for. Likewise, Nuclear element damage gets a Tech damage bonus from any enemies suffering from burn/freeze/electric. So around here the game became less about "knock down everyone on the first turn" and more about "debuff people and tech off it for extra damage, score a knockdown where you can if you get lucky"

I also noticed I had to start paying a lot more attention/memorization to which enemies had which ma-spells and be really careful about which persona I had active at the end of turn.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    The velvet room is seriously so good this time around. Very streamlined, very flexible.

Think this is the most fun I've had fusing. Long as I don't have to get pierce again I'm happy.

Still kind of a streamlined version of SMT IV/Apocalypse's Cathedral of Shadows App.

That has everything but the kitchen sink. Want to make a demon with Maragi? Boom, done. Need that one demon to fill a blank fusion recipe? Here you go.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    So, I have a mechanics question I haven't found an answer to online. I'm starting to get Rank 10 Confidants finished, but none of their final Personas are showing up in the fusion list. Does anyone know what actually unlocks them since hitting Rank 10 in the link does not?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Not all of them show up under advanced fusions - some are just normal fusions. Assuming this is the same as prior games.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    So, I have a mechanics question I haven't found an answer to online. I'm starting to get Rank 10 Confidants finished, but none of their final Personas are showing up in the fusion list. Does anyone know what actually unlocks them since hitting Rank 10 in the link does not?

You probably just need to unlock the appropriate kind of fusion.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »

You probably just need to unlock the appropriate kind of fusion.

Ah yes - Strength 5 may be required.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm loving the fact that the protagonist adjusts his gloves even while running.

Style doesn't keep itself maintained, you know.

It took me a couple of looks to realize what that little animation was; looked like he was pushing a wall or something. I guess a mime protagonist would be pretty in-character.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Man, every time I play a Persona game I wonder...

WTF @ Six-day School Week?

• Options

Japan?

• Options

Well, the sixth is a half day at least.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Okay somebody explain to me what the hell just happened
    I was messing around with fusions and selected two and instead of the normal cutscene i got a unskippable one where instead of the normal scene playing out the guillotine got stuck so the Twins pulled out chain saws and the result was not the same as what it said i would get (I was going for Jack frost got matador instead)

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I was messing around with fusions and selected two and instead of the normal cutscene i got a unskippable one where instead of the normal scene playing out the guillotine got stuck so the Twins pulled out chain saws and the result was not the same as what it said i would get (I was going for Jack frost got matador instead)

It's a fusion accident.

These things happen. RNG gonna RNG.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

This is something that occurs in pretty much all SMT games actually, it's called a fusion accident. On very rare occurrences while fusing, you'll end up with a different output than you were initially going to get(applies to both demon and skillset).

This can incidentally actually be really helpful early game because you'll likely get something higher level with better skills, or really annoying late game because by that point you're trying to break the game so whatever comes out won't nearly be as good as what you're planning to make.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Fusion accident, happens occasionally in these games and can, if you're lucky, lead to you getting some pretty broken stuff earlier than intended.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    That's pretty neat.

I'm actually happy about it now this Matador dude is pretty awesome.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Post palace six question
    I accidentally skipped the cs after protag gets shot. Did I miss anything important or interesting?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Matador is pretty good, yes, though it's kind of annoying that his super rampage seems to miss more often than regular rampage. Guess that's why he gets Sukukaja, though that kind of defeats the point of physical spam to save SP.

Also I can't even read the word Matador without instinctively flinching.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »

It's a fusion accident.

y2oJHHy.jpg

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Dalantia wrote: »

It's a fusion accident.

y2oJHHy.jpg

At least we got THAT over with real fast in P5.

I think.
    Referring to it being the mid-boss of Palace 1.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So, I got one of the gem shadows to join me and then fused it with a Death arcana. They come with SO MANY great attack spells. I now have a lvl 21 Matador with Maragi, Mabufu, Mazio and Magaru on top of his usual first five.

Also just started Temperance and laughed way too hard, way too long at how awkward the whole thing is.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like the first section of the game really should have more options than just Sojiro and Ryuji. After this, I'll be buried in them, I imagine.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Temperance had me squirming in discomfort for the first two conversations

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    The battle victory screen makes me nauseous, and I've never had that problem in a video game before. I know it's supposed to look like he's running to the left, endlessly, but I know that he's just running in circles and the camera is constantly spinning.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
This discussion has been closed.