As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Unique abilities... does that mean they only come from that one source or they cannot be passed to any other persona?

Both of those things, in the case of DLC-personas. If I remember right there are other skills that can only be used by one persona, but the kind of skill that only has one origin yet can be passed on also exists.

Gotcha. So I should assume that if it's labelled as "unique skill" on the wiki that it cannot be passed on.

Thanks!

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So about 5 hours into the game now, and echoing comments from the past thread this game gets super dark in a hurry. Quick question, regarding conversations around the time you get your 4th party member (3rd addition):
    Just to make sure I understand, the implication is that the volleyball coach raped Shiho, right? Not just that he beat her? Not that either is particularly good, I'm just curious.

Unrelated question from slightly earlier in the game:
    So Ryuji was a track star, and the volleyball coach took over the track team and...broke Ryuji's leg? Intentionally? I feel like I missed something here.

Enjoying the game a lot more now that it's focusing on interpersonal relationships and less on everyone telling the main character what a fuckup he is. It's interesting, coming to this after P4G I was frustrated that I wasn't instantly connecting with these characters at the level I was attached to P4 characters, but then realized that I'd developed that attachment over the course of ~80 hours and that it was an unreasonable expectation; it'd be like switching to a new school and expecting to be best friends with everyone the first day. Hopefully it'll come.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm definitely liking Ryuji a lot more from the start than I did Yosuke in 4. It helps that he's got a lot more driving him early on.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    So about 5 hours into the game now, and echoing comments from the past thread this game gets super dark in a hurry. Quick question, regarding conversations around the time you get your 4th party member (3rd addition):
    Just to make sure I understand, the implication is that the volleyball coach raped Shiho, right? Not just that he beat her? Not that either is particularly good, I'm just curious.

So Ryuji was a track star, and the volleyball coach took over the track team and...broke Ryuji's leg? Intentionally? I feel like I missed something here.

Enjoying the game a lot more now that it's focusing on interpersonal relationships and less on everyone telling the main character what a fuckup he is. It's interesting, coming to this after P4G I was frustrated that I wasn't instantly connecting with these characters at the level I was attached to P4 characters, but then realized that I'd developed that attachment over the course of ~80 hours and that it was an unreasonable expectation; it'd be like switching to a new school and expecting to be best friends with everyone the first day. Hopefully it'll come.

RE: Spoiler 1 —
    That was how I read the situation

RE: Spoiler 2 —
    I'm assuming it becomes more clear as you build your bond with Ryuji, but the basic story seems to be that Kumoshida goaded Ryuji into attacking him such that he could claim self-defense; he then broke Ryuji's leg and got the track team disbanded, all in an effort to put more of the spotlight on him and the Volleyball team.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

That was definitely the impression I got. They said something like, because Ann was not accepting his advances he turned to Shiho. Also in the distortion world he viewed all the female volleyball players as basically a harem so...

And yeah, I'm not sure sure on Ryuji but I'm picturing something like that volleyball match at the rally where he "accidentally" injured that one kid by spiking the ball right into his face. I assume he tripped Ryuji or something "on accident" because the track team was showing his volleyball team up.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

1st spoiler - yes

2nd spoiler
    a lot of this is explained in ryuuji's early social links and some of the 1st palace conversations
    Volleyball coach is a narcissist and sadistic asshole who basically wanted to leverage his Olympic fame to basically take full control of the school and satisfy his whims. So he overtrains Ryuuji until the point that he breaks his leg, and then spreads rumors about his abusive father to provoke Ryuuji to attack him. He then uses the chaos as an excuse to have the track team disbanded, making his volleyball team the most important thing in the school.

rhylith on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

To answer spoiler two: yes

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So it looks to me like you can sell treasure freely, it's basically all vendor trash

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Yeah so for the above:
    Far as I understand it yes to both. Totally dispicable actions that led to effectively destroying two different people in two different ways. Atlus is running so far with the darker grittier tone to this and I for one am appreciating it.

• Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    The English VOs are pretty alright in P5, but man, do some of the name pronunciations bug me, e.g. "Ta-KA-muh-ki" and "Sa-KA-muh-to". What's up with that?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Stasis wrote: »
    The English VOs are pretty alright in P5, but man, do some of the name pronunciations bug me, e.g. "Ta-KA-muh-ki" and "Sa-KA-muh-to". What's up with that?

The voice actors were told to pronounce it like that by the director, and while I've admittedly only listened to a few specific instances from the Japanese audio they pronounce it similar to that too.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

The voice actors were told to pronounce it like that by the director, and while I've admittedly only listened to a few specific instances from the Japanese audio they pronounce it similar to that too.

Atlus Japan specifically approved the pronunciations it should be noted.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I really like it when Morgana praises Ryuji during or after combat, because it feels like I'm the one actually being spoken to.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Just because it was approved doesn't mean it will sound right. It just means Atlus JP was okay with the VO.

To my ear, the main problem, and this is common when English speakers pronounce Japanese, is that they are dragging out the vowels. It's already a challenge enough to get English speakers to stress the right vowels, so unless they hired Japanese-Americans to do the VOs, I can't fault Atlus for saying "That's good enough!"

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Atlus Japan specifically approved the pronunciations it should be noted.

Even if it sounds odd, it does still sound like an English speaking visitor pronouncing Japanese names which may have been acceptable for Atlus Japan for the dub. Hard to fully get the intent without an interview with the people that provided the pronunciation guide.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Akilae wrote: »
    Just because it was approved doesn't mean it will sound right. It just means Atlus JP was okay with the VO.

To my ear, the main problem, and this is common when English speakers pronounce Japanese, is that they are dragging out the vowels. It's already a challenge enough to get English speakers to stress the right vowels, so unless they hired Japanese-Americans to do the VOs, I can't fault Atlus for saying "That's good enough!"

Again, not just approved but they were told to pronounce it that way. It's why they all pronounce those names that way.

https://translate.google.com/m/translate

坂本

Listen to the Japanese pronunciation. And remember that the VAs aren't trying to do a japanese accent or anything just using the Japanese style pronunciation in their normal english speaking voice.

It's completely fine and not messed up.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Again, not just approved but they were told to pronounce it that way. It's why they all pronounce those names that way.

Then I shall rephrase and be more specific. Unless you hire a dialect coach or are willing to spend the time, it is very hard for a native speaker of one language to accurately pinpoint and instruct someone from a different linguistic system to pronounce something correctly. Atlus could very well have instructed the VOs: "Stress the second vowel, the second!" and left it at that without going into other nuances. I agree with Steel Angel, unless we actually see the guide Atlus issued, it's hard to say.

Akilae on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Well, as someone who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese nor care about proper pronunciation of foreign languages, they pronounce everything like I would incorrectly pronounce it in my head after reading it, so I'm ok with it :p

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Some of these hamburgers are ridiculous

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    It helps if you buy the cheapo sp restore items from the school courtyard and bath house vending machines each week. It's not much, but it helps.

And the ones by the bathhouse are like a third cheaper. I'm sure its some kind of shot at how vending machine prices are bumped to dick around with the students.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Is it said that way in the JP version?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

https://translate.google.com/m/translate

坂本

Listen to the Japanese pronunciation. And remember that the VAs aren't trying to do a japanese accent or anything just using the Japanese style pronunciation in their normal english speaking voice.

It's completely fine and not messed up.

The difference is tone, not phone. Google botvoice has nothing to say on the matter.

cj iwakura wrote: »

Nah, I've heard both versions.

PLA on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Someone in the SE++ thread said it was pronounced the same way.

• Options
    Not exactly, here's a good comparison:

The very first example comes pretty close to the English pronunciation, but I think what's especially jarring is how the second syllable is VERY strong while the third syllable is VERY weak in the English version, while there's pretty much a slight emphasis on the second syllable and the rest is fairly even in the Japanese version.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I find it weird how many people are saying the localization sucks because they didn't pronounce a Japanese name 100% properly... Like, I don't care? Japanese language option is there if it bothers you :P I care more that the translated dialog feels natural and is delivered extremely well by the English cast. Which I think is absolutely the case here :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I find it weird how many people are saying the localization sucks because they didn't pronounce a Japanese name 100% properly... Like, I don't care? Japanese language option is there if it bothers you :P I care more that the translated dialog feels natural and is delivered extremely well by the English cast. Which I think is absolutely the case here :)

This is pretty much where I'm at too. The names sound a little funky at first (that twitter clip of Ann saying 'Sakamoto' is sort of an extreme example, she's overenunciating in anger and most of the time it's not nearly that noticeable) and there's a line or two of dialogue every so often that strikes me as awkward or unwieldy, but considering how much shit there is in this game to translate, the ratio of bad to good seems pretty okay to me

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    You remember when no one gave a shit about the Persona series, because it wasn't mainstream? Now it's essentially mainstream, but Atlus is still a small company, but new fans now expect mainstream localization from a tiny developer.

I suppose if there was a problem to have with your game series, the issue of it being TOO popular for you to make it perfect for everyone is one I'd choose if I was the developer.

Mitsuru: I WILL EXECUTE YOU ALL!!

Seriously, does no one else remember this shit in the earlier games? Now there's just more people to nitpick.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    I find it weird how many people are saying the localization sucks because they didn't pronounce a Japanese name 100% properly...
    I don't think anybody in this thread said that?

It's just a thing that was jarring to me, and I'm definitely not alone - even my brother, who isn't that familiar with the Japanese language, thought that it sounded odd.

• Options
    I find it weird how many people are saying the localization sucks because they didn't pronounce a Japanese name 100% properly...
    I don't think anybody in this thread said that?

It's just a thing that was jarring to me, and I'm definitely not alone - even my brother, who isn't that familiar with the Japanese language, thought that it sounded odd.

I saw it in a couple other places. But people here have been complaining about the pronunciation too. It just seems like a weird, specific complaint to me :P Especially when I actually had the specific thought while playing that "wow, this localization is actually pretty good!"

• Options
    Okay I'm not entirely sure but regarding locked chests
    went to unlock the four locked chests before fighting the boss in the second palace and got 3 different items in each chest. Is it because the alert lvl is at 99% it makes more sense to open them then?

Also madurame is another asshole of massive proportions. Atlus going to town on making you hate these opponents.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Also madurame is another asshole of massive proportions. Atlus going to town on making you hate these opponents.

If you didn't know, Japan's in the midst of a pretty huge wave of popular media, especially aimed at teenagers/young adults, about teenage wunderkinder being exploited by Evil Adult Institute. Their version of all the Twilight/Harry Potter knockoffs. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dozen pop stories about naive teens being exploited by adults/society. Not that I've put any thought or serious research into it, but I'd lay dollars to dimes that it's at least partly the backlash/outcome of the hikkikomori trend (specifically the societal pressures that caused it) that was pretty huge about a decade ago. All those teens have grown up and are writing now.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    By the way, in case anyone didn't notice: the volleyball coach is voiced by DC Douglas, aka Wesker aka Azrael.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @ArcTangent

That's a good point, I have always enjoyed the Persona/SMT/Digital Devil saga for their stories so it's fitting that writers would be drawn to a game series that wouldn't be afraid to go a little deeper and darker than most.

Nocturne was a particular favourite with all the different factions stating how their law was the true choice.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

If you didn't know, Japan's in the midst of a pretty huge wave of popular media, especially aimed at teenagers/young adults, about teenage wunderkinder being exploited by Evil Adult Institute. Their version of all the Twilight/Harry Potter knockoffs. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dozen pop stories about naive teens being exploited by adults/society. Not that I've put any thought or serious research into it, but I'd lay dollars to dimes that it's at least partly the backlash/outcome of the hikkikomori trend (specifically the societal pressures that caused it) that was pretty huge about a decade ago. All those teens have grown up and are writing now.

It's so big that I've already seen a counter-reaction of "nah, I love society".

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Kotaku has an interesting article noting down something that's in the tutorial section but not explained normally over the course of the game.

http://kotaku.com/hidden-persona-5-tip-will-help-you-nail-every-demon-neg-1794089838

Each demon/persona you negotiate with has a personality type in their status screen, and the personality determines what kind of responses they prefer during negotiations.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Morgana does mention putting that stuff in the tutorial pages.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Hard seems to have plateaued a bit in the second dungeon, I don't even need izanagi anymore as level/persona wise most of my stuff is about on par with him anyhow.

I guess the first dungeon just seemed tougher at times because I had less stuff to work with, like yukiko's dungeon in 4.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    I'm playing on Normal and I almost died to the first palace's mini boss because I had Jack O'Lantern* equipped. Don't underestimate P5.
    *FINALLY.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    As usual, the challenge is balancing dungeoning and not dungeoning.

And holy hell are there long stretches of time you can't pick things. Careful about rentals...

But god its hard getting social stuff up fast. Always easier later.

Or NG+.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    sometimes it seems kinda arbitrary when you lose an entire day to story stuff, even at night time you have no choice but to go straight to sleep despite just a brief cutscene of doing stuff after school

and there's a million things to do at night too

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
This discussion has been closed.