As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    <link snip>
    Just, ugh. Conflating the Phantom Thieves (who do NOT kill) and Joker (who is an unrepentant murderer) is gross. Phoenix's Joker would be someone the Phantom Thieves would explicitly target in order to change his heart, and making him out to be a hero like the Phantom Thieves is ugly and wrong.

I would say the Persona series is deeply cowardly about its themes and presentation. This is a game where "use gun" is one of your basic actions, but you NEVER kill anybody. Okay... sure. With 5, they added that you're a group of thieves... who don't actually steal anything. And there's the ongoing discussion about how Persona since #3 is about adolescent themes and having difficulty with unjust societal norms but the writing is deeply conformist and often prejudiced. It's extremely telling that a game about unjustly persecuted characters who feel othered by society had a "lol funnee" aside to imply gay people were child rapists.

That being said, the video was clearly just a joke about inappropriate mixing of tones because Joker + gun were assets available to use.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If anything, stealing people’s free will is way more extreme than stealing their stuff.

So I dunno that I would call that aspect of it cowardly.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    And lets not forget P5 covering Japan's pedo streak (Ann/Shiho,) Japanese gender roles (Makoto/Sae,) mental illness (Futaba,) arranged marriage for the wealthy (Haru,) and saying "hey, we don't know what story branching is so you can sleep with ten women with no consequences except some off-screen boo-boos."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I saw Kasumi has DLC just for her costumes. Good lord, to quote Outkast, you ain't that fine, no way.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hello Persona thread. I have spent the last month playing Persona 4 Golden on stream with my wife and it's been a blast. It's my first real persona game. I played Persona 1 way back in the day but barely remember it (any way to get that on ps3, 4, or 5 these days?)

In 4 we're at the end, having just seen the
    izanami reveal. Good twist, didn't expect the gas station attendant from way back when! We romanced Rise which annoyed my wife who wanted to pick Chie. The Marie dungeon was surprisingly hard. We played with XP, gold, damage given and damage taken turned up thanks to the options in Golden, so despite being level 85+ at that point we still had trouble when the items and gear got taken away. The building enemy it makes you fight was a pain in the ass!

I'm planning to play Dancing All Night next since it was on sale, and then head into P5Royal. Any good non spoiler tips for 5 Royal? I played the base game a tiny bit back when it came out but put it down for some reason, excited to really dig in since people seem to love it.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hello Persona thread. I have spent the last month playing Persona 4 Golden on stream with my wife and it's been a blast. It's my first real persona game. I played Persona 1 way back in the day but barely remember it (any way to get that on ps3, 4, or 5 these days?)

izanami reveal. Good twist, didn't expect the gas station attendant from way back when! We romanced Rise which annoyed my wife who wanted to pick Chie. The Marie dungeon was surprisingly hard. We played with XP, gold, damage given and damage taken turned up thanks to the options in Golden, so despite being level 85+ at that point we still had trouble when the items and gear got taken away. The building enemy it makes you fight was a pain in the ass!

I'm planning to play Dancing All Night next since it was on sale, and then head into P5Royal. Any good non spoiler tips for 5 Royal? I played the base game a tiny bit back when it came out but put it down for some reason, excited to really dig in since people seem to love it.

My main advice is to wear a fancy hat while playing Persona 5 Royal.

But in all seriousness, you should absolutely try to 100% all of your social links in your first (or only?) playthrough. It was more than doable in Persona 5 Vanilla and it’s relatively easy, in my opinion, to do so in Persona 5 Royal. That’s said, there’s some additional complexity over some of the P5 Vanilla links.

Also the game is massively long, especially depending on how much ancillary content you want to pursue in the game. As a completionist, my one playthrough of P5 Vanilla was 160 hours. My (so far) one playthrough of P5 Royal was 199 hours. I’m crazy, though, and spent time maxing out various personae.

There’s also some spoilery advice I could give around social link prioritization but I’m not sure you want that much guidance at this point.

Also, make sure you are wearing a fancy hat. To be on the safe side, you should probably make sure your wife is also wearing a fancy hat. And don’t worry, this is not a spoilery reference to anything in the game - I’m just being weird.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I fully support the fancy hat initiative, and it's a damn shame that fancy hats have largely left our culture. Ballcaps and Stockingcaps are a far cry from days gone by (better days).

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Drez wrote: »

But in all seriousness, you should absolutely try to 100% all of your social links in your first (or only?) playthrough. It was more than doable in Persona 5 Vanilla and it’s relatively easy, in my opinion, to do so in Persona 5 Royal. That’s said, there’s some additional complexity over some of the P5 Vanilla links.

Also the game is massively long, especially depending on how much ancillary content you want to pursue in the game. As a completionist, my one playthrough of P5 Vanilla was 160 hours. My (so far) one playthrough of P5 Royal was 199 hours. I’m crazy, though, and spent time maxing out various personae.

There’s also some spoilery advice I could give around social link prioritization but I’m not sure you want that much guidance at this point.

Also, make sure you are wearing a fancy hat. To be on the safe side, you should probably make sure your wife is also wearing a fancy hat. And don’t worry, this is not a spoilery reference to anything in the game - I’m just being weird.

Right, the social links in P5R have different things that you can say that will grant more or less progress, but even with flubbing a bunch of them I maxed out all of them. If you can't find a social link person for a while, don't worry -- the game has quietly decided you've gone far enough for story reasons and will give them back eventually. Oh, the only thing the game doesn't tell you is that you have to max out Justine and Caroline's (Igor's assistants) social link by December 19, otherwise you can't progress further. (You should also do the same for the counselor and the detective, but the game hints at that.) The other social links with deadlines will give you plenty of warning. On a related note, to save your sanity I'd suggest keeping a web page with all possible persona fusion results handy.

The only other thing is to don't forget to go to the juice bar in the train station every Sunday the game lets you -- you'll get a big boost to your attributes that way.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Social links in P5 are much more helpful, even links who aren't in the party will have benefits beyond persona fusions. On fancy hats: This morning I saw someone with a fancy hat case, so the love of fancy hats may be spreading.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Does a tiara or a wig count as a fancy hat because I wear both of those on stream at times. Shit, I should get a fancy hat. Hard to wear headphones with one though.

And thank you for the suggestions! I'll keep this stuff in mind for when we get started. I am looking forward to it as I really liked Persona 4 and I hear the combat stuff is much better in 5.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Persona 5 (both versions) is JRPG perfection. It doesn't get any better.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

First three dungeons are a major hump because managing SP and money is tight, after that though you unlock the ability to make a TON of money.

There are Soda machines all over the city that give items that restore a tiny bit of HP or SP but they're also super cheap. One outside the laundry/bathhouse near your home sells SP restoring ones. You can only buy so many from each machine before they're out of stock, but they refill on each week (on mondays I think?). Make a habit of visiting at least the SP restoring ones and hoarding as many sodas as you can. They're a big help in the early game.

You cannot beat most dungeons in one go. After exploring them for a bit you'll reach a point (usually after beating some kind of mid-boss) where you hit a road-block and the game will tell you to leave the dungeon and progress the story in the real world so you can remove the block and continue completing the dungeon.

Except DON'T leave the dungeon when the game tells you too. Stick around exploring whatever is available to you, camp out near save room and GRIND until you're out of SP or just can't safely kill enemies anymore. Or you get bored. And then leave. Your HP/SP will be restored next time you enter the dungeon, so you may as well make the most out of each visit, and squeeze out as much EXP and money as you can out them.

One big change in Royal is that gun-ammo automatically refill after each battle. This means you can use them as much as you want, and it's a nice way of getting in some extra damage in, especially early game.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also, every time you go to Mementos just start from the beginning every time. It's a bit of a grind but in P5R it goes way faster and is a great source of money and EXP (especially with that Rank 7 Ryuji ability). Also a good excuse to listen to a podcast!

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I guess I should elaborate: the Devil Summoner fan translation is kicking into high gear. Kind of surprised no one here's into the game, it's gotten a massive following online lately...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I found the challenge in P5 to start evaporating after the 2nd palace, and was completely gone by the end of the 3rd.

I swear it feels like they threw in all the immense social link bonuses at the very end of development, and just never bothered to rebalance the game around them.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    I found the challenge in P5 to start evaporating after the 2nd palace, and was completely gone by the end of the 3rd.

I swear it feels like they threw in all the immense social link bonuses at the very end of development, and just never bothered to rebalance the game around them.

It's probably better that they didn't, because it would be possible to get into a real shitty game state then without them. The bonuses in P4 were so much smaller (the only ones with any benefit beyond fusion were party members and the fox irrc)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The biggest thing was securing personas that had the group buffs/debuffs for attack & defense. Keep those up, and every boss fight became a breeze.

It got a tad tricky with
    Shido
    , who would get a free action to undo buffs/debuffs every round. That fight ended up being tougher than the final boss.

I think by the 5th palace though, I not only never died, but I don't remember a single party member even being KO'd. (except THAT segment during a later palace where you can get reduced to a helpless state)

I could understand if I had obsessively grinded and min/maxed everything, but it was on my first playthrough where I didn't max all the links, and never grinded beyond the fights needed to proceed to the next save room.

I never even saw Mementos as a grind opportunity, because the game hard locks your progress there to be tied to the story, and the difficulty for enemies in the furthest areas you could reach always felt like they were a whole one or two palaces behind. I think that by the 3rd palace, nearly every single enemy in Mementos was blue and ran away from me.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Still not sure if I should get Strikers for the PS4 or the Switch.

Drez on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Playing through Royal on hard is interesting, so far it’s much easier than I found the original to be on normal. Part of that is knowledge, I just understand the game better, and part of it is the new additions which neutralize much of the early game’s difficulty. The only things that give me any trouble are the one enemy type per palace which vastly outlevels you (they can essentially one-tap anyone in my party on any turn, regardless of buffs/debuffs) and bosses, which seem to assume I’ve done a shitload more grinding than I have the stomach for.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Curious how much visual difference there was between the PS3 & 4 version of Persona 5?

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    Curious how much visual difference there was between the PS3 & 4 version of Persona 5?

Well, I only played it on PS3, but I thought it looked great.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Reviews are positive. Glad to see it.

Release date for steam version is the same as the others right?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Playing through Royal on hard is interesting, so far it’s much easier than I found the original to be on normal. Part of that is knowledge, I just understand the game better, and part of it is the new additions which neutralize much of the early game’s difficulty. The only things that give me any trouble are the one enemy type per palace which vastly outlevels you (they can essentially one-tap anyone in my party on any turn, regardless of buffs/debuffs) and bosses, which seem to assume I’ve done a shitload more grinding than I have the stomach for.

That sounds par the course with Persona 4 Golden, which sent the difficulty down a crater. It added a very high difficulty bonus dungeon, but its difficulty was a coin flip of "did you max Rise or not."

I'll be skipping Strikers. I have no interest in musous and rehashed hijinks.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Welp, I preordered the Switch version. Looking forward to midnight. Or noon tomorrow. Whenever it unlocks.

• Options
    Wait. It comes out Friday, doesn't it.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Wait. It comes out Friday, doesn't it.
    Digital Deluxe is 2/19, normal edition is 2/23

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Can't wait to play some Strikers

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed that this isn't Persona Soccer

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Strangely, the eShop shows 2/18 as the release date of the digital deluxe edition. Not sure if that's completely accurate but it'd be nice if it unlocked tomorrow.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Strangely, the eShop shows 2/18 as the release date of the digital deluxe edition. Not sure if that's completely accurate but it'd be nice if it unlocked tomorrow.

I knew I wasn’t crazy! That’s why I was confused. Maybe it unlocks at 11:59:59 PM tomorrow.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Donnicton wrote: »

Or Persona Bowling

Or

Drez on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Or Persona Bowling

Or Persona Baseball

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Some random anime site claims P5R on Epic Games Store at the end of March.
    Persona 5 Royal will be available on the Epic Games Store starting March 30th for the price of $60.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Some random anime site claims P5R on Epic Games Store at the end of March.
    Persona 5 Royal will be available on the Epic Games Store starting March 30th for the price of $60.

Which is about as trustworthy as vgchartz.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Anime Maru? That's a parody site pretty much akin to The Onion of anime news.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Played a bit of an in progress Royal NG+ run I had going from last year to set the mood for Strikers.

I had stopped in the October Palace so when I got to the boss this time I, without shame, threw Myriad Truths at him and called it a day.

• Options
    It's almost here!

• Options
    It just unlocked for me!

This discussion has been closed.