As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The second half of the game is where skill cards really come in handy, like ones with the elemental breaks etc

One of the BEST Royal changes is the skill that you get from Ryuji for instant wins no longer requires an ambush, and also gives xp /money/items in addition to a Persona. This is HUGE when traversing Mementos.

Mementos is pretty much just running into Shadow Pinatas for free money now and I like it much more than what it originally was.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Vanilla P5 beaten. Only three non-automatic Confidants maxed (High Priestess, Strength and Death). Stretched myself way too thin. Also, too busy sleeping, thanks Morgana. Youtube can fix what I missed, because I won't be buying Royal.

I still don't like the combat (please pay the SP toll or be fucked in one turn) but the writing was brilliant. I took a JRPG hiatus a few years ago because I was fed up with their writing but I'm very glad I pulled this out of my backlog.
    I initially rolled my eyes at what seemed to be a formulaic plot. A bunch of teenage kids want to use their newfound superpowers to defeat all the dirty-nasty grownups in the world. Is that the case? NO! The failures and shortcomings of the adults in P5 are discussed and confronted in meaningful ways. Surely this is God's fault, who is possibly the last boss, right? NO! Its a phony creature with deliberately deceptive angelic aesthetics, born of humanity's apathy and "yearning for a king" that will save them from responsibilities like doing the right thing with its unpopular and painful, or even the "little things" like voting, speaking up when someone is getting mugged or reading a goddamn newspaper. Ain't that timely. P5 is also a critique on Japan's criminal justice system.

Was Ryuji going to be Joker's mouth like P4's Yosuke? NO! He is his own person. He has a social circle, its merely in tatters because he dared to defy Kamoshida. But not all is what it seems. His emotional maturity needs work, both in his rank-ups and in the plot. While Kamoshida was mostly at fault for it, Ryuji's attitude problem is partly to blame. Like a kid, he wears his heart on his sleeve. His desire for glory infects the Phantom Thieves and nearly leads them to ruin. In the main plot he learns humility and decides he wants to save humanity even if it doesn't mean any love in return.

Was Ann going to be another Rise? NO, THANK YOU JESUS. Her bombastic appearance and aesthetics aside, she is seemingly a normal, fun gal. Her mixed heritage makes her community simultaneously perceive her as an outsider and an exotic slab of meat. She has a social circle in her friend, but she felt like a throwaway NPC. Her rank up with the other model had implications that made me uncomfortable. The envious model was jealous that Ann had main-character metabolism and could eat whatever the fuck she wants while she, a lowly NPC, has to work much harder and more realistically. A lot of critique of the shitty idol industry is touched upon, and she discovered that the social circles she really wants to have are not in it. In the main plot she tries to use her "charm" to deceive enemies, with comical results.

Was Morgana another enlightened Shadow, destined to get a human body and become a disgusting lech like Teddie? NO! Long before his memories return, he becomes content with who he is. He's a far less abrasive character than Teddie.

Yusuke was straight up unique, one of a kind. Yusuke was a goofball, but he was surprisingly empathetic, and I almost want to say "spiritual." His critiques on the Phan-site's fans, society at the low points, and his analysis of Mementos, are on the money. Its a shame that his best critiques are in text messaging. He has one of the only confidant ranks that involves multiple party members sitting at the table helping him out (something Persona desperately needs more of). He discusses his abusive relationship with Madarame and has the maturity to look back and discuss why it really is hard to get out of such relationships. His rank ups are just pure fun. I yearned for him to call art "expression" but he never did, opting for wack platitudes instead, and that's okay. Just like in real life, his artistic talents shine the most when he stops giving a fuck about what others think of it.

Makoto... Did Atlus play favorites with her? Oh wait, I forgot I don't give a shit! Was she P5's answer to Yukiko, destined to be a quivering, blushing Japanese princess? NO, and if Joker wasn't there she'd be the leader and protagonist (maybe she is!) A year away from adulthood, but with nothing to show for it where it counted. Her dynamic with Sae is great (omg an established, well written relationship that doesn't involve the protag or throwaway NPCs)! Her adorably lame spying with a book in her face only made her stick out like a sore thumb. Her focus on pleasing the grown ups instead of growing her soul with her peers rendered her lonely, unapproachable to peers and stuck trying to please the unpleasable. Sae lashes out at her for the grievous sin of being a dependent, which hit way too close to home. The sorrow culminates into a nuclear blast. Her cunning, initially used to antagonize the heroes, ultimately makes her the brains of the operation. Her rank ups are boring as shit, because she's too busy developing her character in the main plot, without Joker's help. In her rank-ups what starts off as seemingly predictable shell breaking dates turn into reaffirming who she is meant to be. She learns the lessons of P5 in the plot and applies them in the rank-ups, saving a friend and mentee who is looking for love in all the wrong places. Without Joker, she slowly gains the courage to abandon the principal and deceive Sae. Unlike Yukiko, her intellect and internalized fury and desire to rebel are never implicit because of her edgelord combat and Persona: they are a permanent part of her without the need for her to break some noses or get a real motorcycle. Brilliant, believable and thematic, she never stops being relevant...I had to have her. *girly swooning noises*

Futaba, the "darling" on all the P5 swag I see at cons. Was she the "hot nerd" I thought she would be? NO, she was literally and tragically mentally ill in the beginning. Combating mental illness is something that should be explored more. Her dungeon was all out Psychonauts in ways that Persona has never dared to tread (complete with "slideshows" reflecting her pain), and done so in a thoughtful, tasteful way (okay, except for that shadow Futaba outfit...) Depending on the player she could be be interpreted as that hot nerd or P5's answer to Nanako, because of her shaky relationship with Sojiro, another well written relationship. I wished the characters (or rather, the game) had the courage to say the dreaded A-word (autism). It sounded like Ann or Yusuke were going to say it, but it didn't happen. Maybe that's taboo for a JRPG at this time. I need to make an important distinction that the mental illness in her dungeon was depression, not autism. Her rank ups and erratic behavior are a whirlwind of comedy and tragedy, and involve a lot of the other party members so she can learn from them (in a purposeful way, not fanservice like Elizabeth or Marie's nonsense.)

Did Akechi's inevitable betrayal catch the Phantom Thieves blindsided? FUCK NO! In P4, the heroes solve a murder mystery. In P5, the Phantom Thieves are the mystery: they were on to him the whole time! Furthermore, whereas the murderer in P4 was an entitled husk of a man, Akechi had a traumatic upbringing and fell to the one flaw that the Phantom Thieves managed to shake off: seeking approval from the wrong people. He lashes out at Joker for having friends on tap, but Akechi never learned as all Persona protags do, establishing genuine relationships give you power, not the other way around. He could have had any friend, any woman, he wanted, but he was fixated on his daddy.

Sae...oh Sae. Makoto was only getting a small taste of what Sae got for years, struggling to be a prosecutor in a conservative male world. Seemingly one of those "shitty grownups", she was desperate to make it, partially for the glory, and partially to raise her sister. She is deliberately set up to take the fall for the villain, and intentionally pressured to maximize her anxiety until a Shadow and Palace form. She ultimately becomes a powerful ally of the Phantom Thieves and provides wonderful discussion on the shortcomings of adults such as herself *chef kiss*. In the end she does the unthinkable, quitting being a prosecutor to become a dirty, dirty defense attorney to protect dirty dirty criminals.

EDIT - Haru who? She was so low on my priorities that she never even got Baton Pass, and that's a shame because her rankups foreshadow the fact that Shido was not some "final boss" that would cause all wickedness to crumble around him when he went down. I didn't find her or her magical waifu power to grow vegetables in the winter interesting. It took a forced cut-scene to make me realize her arranged marriage wasn't over yet, a tragic subject for East Asia (and really, the rest of the world.) Her rank ups are about learning who to trust.

And that's not covering the muggles.

All is not perfect. I'd like to see more characters Social-linking each other, as the main character is still a crutch (though being willing to listen to others can get you very far). Also, combat is getting stale. Realllly stale. If they removed the dating sim stuff and the silent protagonist, the game still has the potential to stand on its own two feet, but the gameplay needs to change.

EDIT - For that matter, the combat isn't the only thing with "correct answers." The social aspects do too. Do this thing here at this time, work that job, grind this vending machine, grind that activity. Say this thing to him/her for a faster ranking up. Its not wrong, its just outdated. The opposite would be a Bioware game, in which every answer is a right answer and any character you want will fall into your lap. I've only played a few WRPGs that strike an intriguing balance, such as The Witcher series or Disco Elysium, but I know there are more out there.

The dating sim bait is getting out of hand. The hero is a kid that can fuck adults. Why not make a game where the party members are adults if they want to write adult relationships? I think they can pull it off.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, I wasn't planning on doing P5R for a while, but I changed my mind and got it because *gestures broadly at the world*

Remind me, are there any social links besides the school counselor to max out by the second semester to make sure I can make the most of the new stuff?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Akechi because he’s no longer automatic.

Also these persona traits are just straight up busted.

Yoshitsune can get one that gives him triple the effect of Charge and Concentrate, and with little effort you can reverse engineer that trait and get a Lucifer with it as well.

Viskod on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I ended up picking it up earlier than I was planning too because I play things while exercising (stationary bike) and Trials of Mana is being a butt by not being out yet. Christ, is the fucking introduction needlessly long. Even on fast forward, shit took an hour before I was allowed to make any kind of meaningful choice, although certainly also not helped when the objectives to proceed was stuff like "Go to your destination," or "Do as you were told." If I skipped a cutscene, you can safely assume I also want to skip the next four that all take place immediately after it. And why are we exiting a cutscene and telling me to walk forward two steps just to start another cutscene? Just let me play my fucking stylish RPG, for fuck's sake.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Does the Persona compendium completion % count DLC? And is it possible to get a complete compedium the first playthrough, or do you need to wait until an NG+ to that the last one?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Does the Persona compendium completion % count DLC? And is it possible to get a complete compedium the first playthrough, or do you need to wait until an NG+ to that the last one?

DLC persona don't count toward percentage I believe.

There is one persona that is only available in new game+.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options

At least previously, no.

And no, it's not, it's not possible to complete the compendium until NG+.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    This had me laughing, crying, choking, gagging, trying not to choke on rice, and ultimately pounding Mucinex to ensure that I got some fucking sleep last night.

Midgame Spoilers

Cantido on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I find it really fun to imagine Joker describing every single day in excruciating detail to Sae during the interrogation.

"On May 20th, I got up and had a piece of toast. Then I brushed my teeth, took a shower and watered my plant. Then I walked to the train station, but the 7:35 was canceled so I had to catch the 7:40. On the way to school I happened to see Ryuji and we talked about our secret double life as Phantom Thieves. First period was math, and we talked about factorization."

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I find it really fun to imagine Joker describing every single day in excruciating detail to Sae during the interrogation.

"On May 20th, I got up and had a piece of toast. Then I brushed my teeth, took a shower and watered my plant. Then I walked to the train station, but the 7:35 was canceled so I had to catch the 7:40. On the way to school I happened to see Ryuji and we talked about our secret double life as Phantom Thieves. First period was math, and we talked about factorization."

"Please stop talking"

"You thought I was stuck in here with you. Now you know that you're stuck in here with me."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    “That’s when I drank coffee made from elephant shit”

“Why are you telling me this part”

• Options
    Sae: So what you're telling is that you ate gigantic burgers everyday for a week so that you could (checks notes)...be brave enough to ask a gun-store owner to be your friend?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Sae: So what you're telling is that you ate gigantic burgers everyday for a week so that you could (checks notes)...be brave enough to ask a gun-store owner to be your friend?

"So... did that work?"
    "No, I had to eat another week of burgers."

• Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

"So... did that work?"
    "No, I had to eat another week of burgers."

"I didn't know that the fortune teller could make it happen faster if I paid her money"

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Replaying this...
    The game basically not telling you the player character this from the start aside(even if they used you being drugged as an excuse).

I really loved how your team knew Akechi was the culprit from the get go and were playing him all along.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I'm kind of surprised the remake tried to fix the scene where Ryuji gets dragged off by gay guys but they didn't try to fix the unforced errors in the Kamoshida and Madarame arcs.
    Specifically, that part in the Kamoshida confrontation when Ann says her friend was an idiot to allow herself to be abused (raped?) by Kamoshida. Ew. No no no no no no. Especially after it was obvious Kamoshida was threatening to take her off the volleyball team. And, y'know, she was so distraught over it she tried to kill herself.

And it really would have been nice if Yusuke had at least attempted to apologize to Ann for trying to force her into nude painting, especially after how uncomfortable she was with it. Maybe throw something in like "I was desperate to do a great painting for sensei" or something so he'd seem like less of a creep.

Minor fixes, really.

Ah well, at least the vast majority of the game's still great.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    “That evening, I felt tired after my trip into the Metaverse, so I called my homeroom teacher and told her to come over and give me a massage.”

:?

“I waited for her to take the train all the way back home, and then called and told her to come back and cook me dinner.”

:o

“ 8-)”

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    The characters catching what was going on was a refreshing contrast to the cast of P4, a murder mystery where the characters are the most clueless detectives in the world.

Speaking of social links, can we talk about how universally awful the "evolved" form of everyone's personas were when you maxed the links? The initial form were interesting and symbolized their fantasy persona based on their personality. The evolved forms were...
    Morgana
    Zorro, getting to play the dashing hero.
    evolve to -> some misformed Lovecraft horror?

Ann
    Turning the tables and taking power from predator suitors
    -> Loki with pet chomp-chomps?

Makoto
    Motorcycle, totally unique and symbol of rebelling
    -> some generic transformer robot

Haru
    Belle of the ball princess
    -> day of the dead skull?????

Yusuke
    artistic warrior
    -> shirtless Aztec with pronged sword?

Futaba
    UFO, nerdy sci fi fan
    -> "ball"

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MrBody wrote: »
    The characters catching what was going on was a refreshing contrast to the cast of P4, a murder mystery where the characters are the most clueless detectives in the world.

Speaking of social links, can we talk about how universally awful the "evolved" form of everyone's personas were when you maxed the links? The initial form were interesting and symbolized their fantasy persona based on their personality. The evolved forms were...
    Morgana
    Zorro, getting to play the dashing hero.
    evolve to -> some misformed Lovecraft horror?

Ann
    Turning the tables and taking power from predator suitors
    -> Loki with pet chomp-chomps?

Makoto
    Motorcycle, totally unique and symbol of rebelling
    -> some generic transformer robot

Haru
    Belle of the ball princess
    -> day of the dead skull?????

Yusuke
    artistic warrior
    -> shirtless Aztec with pronged sword?

Futaba
    UFO, nerdy sci fi fan
    -> "ball"

Morgana's works aesthetically, just not thematically.
    At first glance its Hermes/Mercurion. I could tell immediately. The problem is it abandons the theme of rebellion, and leaves him with "windy god."

God, why did I play this game.

Cantido 1.5 months ago: "Leave P5 in your backlog. The combat is shit. Put that waifu-bait away, you're not in college anymore, you don't need that brain-poison in your life. Don't do it, you're a gunslinging member of the PCMR now..."

Cantido, quarantine day 45: "OH MY FUCKING HEART I CAN'T TAKE THESE FEELS"

Cantido on
  • Options
    Morgana's persona
    Mercury/Mercurius/Hermes is, among other things, also a god thieves (as well as "luck and trickery" according to wikipedia). It even says so in it's profile

• Options

Can't help but think about the bank palace, where when confronted with things like P=1, D=P, they lamented at how complex and unsolvable this puzzle was.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Hey, anyone know if you can work on social links during the new semester in Royal?

Then again with Morgana no longer forcing you to bed, the post-date phone calls and probably some other stuff, I'm burning through the ranks even with the new additions.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know if you can work on social links during the new semester in Royal?

Then again with Morgana no longer forcing you to bed, the post-date phone calls and probably some other stuff, I'm burning through the ranks even with the new additions.

You can, but remember that every party member gets an extra level for the new ultimate evolutions, not to mention the Faith Confidant is also gated to that final month, so your day times are going to be mostly shot. Lots of spare night time though.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You can, but remember that every party member gets an extra level for the new ultimate evolutions, not to mention the Faith Confidant is also gated to that final month, so your day times are going to be mostly shot. Lots of spare night time though.

Ah, nice. I'm still a little bitter I managed to get through OG Persona 4 without maxing out a single person.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Replaying this...
    The game basically not telling you the player character this from the start aside(even if they used you being drugged as an excuse).

I really loved how your team knew Akechi was the culprit from the get go and were playing him all along.

And their plan to solve it having a ludicrous amount of iffy moving parts

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Replaying this...

And their plan to solve it having a ludicrous amount of iffy moving parts

Yep, just like a heist movie!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    http://shmuplations.com/persona/

Classic interview with the old guard.

persona02.jpg
    —In Persona, the character’s profile pictures will change their expression depending on the dialogue. So does that mean you actually went through every single line of dialogue and scripted those changes to match…?

Kaneko: Well, about that… yes!

Everyone: (laughs)

Kaneko: It was intentionally scripted. I know it sounds crazy, but it was. When we were writing the character dialogue, we thought about each line very deeply: “Ok, he has this personality, and this is his past, so I bet at this moment he’d be thinking/acting like this.” Then the expressions were drawn to match that. We really emphasized that mindset though, always keeping in mind the underlying character. A lot of insights the staff presented with regard to the characters, and how we expanded and built on them, is owed to that.
    —It’s mysterious, the way those expressions match the dialogue.

Okada: The character dialogue itself was written by 5 different staff members. Every person had a different scene they were responsible for. Making it all match up with the larger themes and setting was extremely meticulous work.
    —You can talk with every character in the adventure screen as well, right? That alone must have been a tremendous volume to write.

Okada: Yeah, it was. When we first saw Kaneko’s character illustrations, we were impressed by how much personality they had. We wanted to breathe life into these characters, to make sure their personalities shone through, and I think the amount of dialogue we created was the right amount for that… Then there were the Contacts. Those took a lot of space too. I’m really happy with what we achieved there though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

Any guesses? I'm presuming it'll involve pc releases of some of their console games...

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Steam is possibly backing you up. Or getting our hopes up for nothing.

https://steamdb.info/app/1113000/subs/

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Elin wrote: »
    Steam is possibly backing you up. Or getting our hopes up for nothing.

https://steamdb.info/app/1113000/subs/

I'd try to get into it again.

• Options
    I’ve beaten P4G about 2 gajillion times so it’s a pass from me, but anybody who hasn’t because they never owned a Vita absolutely should get it

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I’ve beaten P4G about 2 gajillion times so it’s a pass from me, but anybody who hasn’t because they never owned a Vita absolutely should get it

I'll probably buy it again for PC. Because ... I just really fucking love it

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’ll wait for the Switch version.

Or I’ll just buy it twice like I did with the whole gd final fantasy series. I own each of those games like 6 times now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Actually that would be the 3rd and 4th time as I have the original version of P4, then P4G on Vita (the latter of which I 100%ed).

But I really like P4G so I don’t mind doing it again.

What they should REALLY do is remaster P3P and merge it with FES for a final current gen version of Persona 3. I’ve also come around to your opinion on taking out the “walking” animations in P3 scenes and social life @cj iwakura - they should add them back in along with the P3P and FES content.

Persona 3 still has so much I love. I love the concept and theme as well as the aesthetic. I love the idea of

(P3 spoiler)
    Apathy Syndrome

too.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Marie ruined P4G for me. I will not touch Royal, or any special edition Atlus produces. Its clear Atlus repeated every mistake with Kasumi. They would have to patch in story branching via a "GET OFF MY DICK" dialog option.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Nobody seems to be talking about it (probably because it's literally endgame and it's kind of specific to unlock), but the "don't date anybody" Valentines event got completely re-written in the Royal version

It's no longer the MC and Ryuji just hanging around going "ugh two dudes alone on Valentines this is the worst" and just basically the game calling the player a loser for not trying to date women. Instead it's been replaced by a new scene and it's actually pretty wholesome! And the accompanying White Day event is also super sweet!

I was pleasantly shocked.

The Valentines event for the curious
    MC, Ryuji, Morgana, and Yusuke are lamenting that they don't have any dates. Sojiro comes and gives them all some fatherly relationship advice and then treats them all to dinner

For the White Day event
    The MC buys Sojiro a bouquet of roses as thanks for taking care him for the last year. It's played for maximum sincerity

Like....awwwww!!!

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »

Release it on Switch you cowards!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Only ever played vanilla P4 so quite curious to see if it really feels that different.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.