As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Link's Awakening remake coming to Switch in 2019

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    It wasn't until my second playthrough that I tried using ancient arrows on those bastards.

Man was that cathartic.

That was how I got past one portion I always seemed to have issue with. I wasn't using the things on guardians and now I'm the one one shotting things.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Acheron wrote: »
    My fist time in, I snuck past a couple guards. Then I climbed to the top of a big room and snuck across that. Then... It was over! Maybe I got lucky. How is it hard if you go wrong? Sensitive stealth triggers? I didn't get to see any of the failure triggers. Maybe I'll explore more on a 2nd play through.

Very sensitive stealth triggers if you don't use or even know about the banana trick. Also potentially buggy, because on my master mode run, at least twice I snuck up on one, did the sneakstrike, but it was not an instant kill. This caused them to simply get up and spot me. Leading to the big problem. A bunch of the smaller Yija henchmen spawn in with I think one or two of the blademasters. You think it's a case of just having to fight your way out. But every hit is a OHKO. No faeries, no Mipha's Grace, go directly to Dead, do not collect $200. And you have to start the entire stealth section again.

Any number of bandaid fixes would have mitigated the problem. A checkpoint after every room. Or just get rid of the glorified "Game over when spotted" and let me actually fight (you actually can do it, but yeah you better be a combat god now and not get hit by anybody). But they all combine to make it a really shitty section.

A checkpoint for just two rooms, one you can skip by climbing the hard to miss ladder?

I think people are a bit unforgiving to this part. The penalty for being seen is as well, but it's so short and you have a lot of freedom and powers (bombs and stasis) to mess with the enemies.

I understand hating forced stealth on principal, but this has to be the most trivial stealth section I've seen. Throw some bananas, climb a ladder, throw some more bananas, done.

It's a very bad piece of game design in a game that has a bunch of systems that work well, so it stands out

I'll agree that it stands out, but I just don't get just how upset people have gotten over it. It's short and easy. We're not talking about a Wind Waker Triforce Hunt level fuck up.

I don’t even think it stands out. Almost every Zelda game has this section in it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I'm in the camp that Yiga hideout wasn't that bad. I found the exit room in my second try. I didn't get to the boss until my fifth try because finding the door out was harder than getting there. I was also in my stealth suit so I'm sure that helped.

I did finish Eventide island challenge and damn that felt good.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Having had done the hideout fairly recently, it's still in my memory. It's technically 2 rooms, but personally I mentally map it as 3 separate encounters.

-1 guard patrolling in a circle
    -1 guard stationary blocking a door
    -The giant room that combines multiple versions of both

First 2 guards are fine once you figure it out. There are even ready-made banana traps you can shoot down. It's just takes a bit of time. And their line of sight is really tight (not distance wise, I mean the fuckers can and will see you out the corner of their eye if possible). 3rd room has 2 circle patrolling guards that are easy enough with again ready-set traps. Then a guard blocking the exit. And then 2 or more guards in the other corner of the room that I never extensively messed with (one patrolling guard does so in line of sight of a stationary one I think). My general plan was to take care of the 2 circle patrolling guards which gave me room to deal with the door guarding guard.

The problem that I should stress here is the fact that you have to start over from square one every time you screw up. And sometimes the reasons you might screw up are wholly unfair. Like I mentioned, I got busted twice because my sneak attacks did not kill the guard. Restart the sequence, then oops I clipped the corner by a hair and got spotted, and now frustration is setting in. Which leads to the second problem. 2-3 blade yigas and 2-3 smaller arrow yigas is a perfectly acceptable punishment. I'm totally willing to take on that challenge and be done with this. But NOPE! One hit kill for you.

Let the player save in the room, and/or remove the glorified instant death mechanic, and I guarantee the complaints people have about the whole section drop dramatically. I'm very happy for you that you found it super easy and did it first try. But lot's of people did not.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My favorite part of the Yiga Clan hideout was returning to it later for reasons and just one-shotting the guards from behind with a giant claymore sneak attack.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Just bought BotW again to give it another try. I had some trouble with dungeons last time i played and I also ran out of weapons.

I also bought a strategy guide from amazon so I won't get stuck again. Here's to hoping the game will appeal to me more this time around.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Just remember that weapons aren't always the best way to defeat your enemies and you'll do fine. The environment provides plenty of opportunities for killing, and there is no shame in sneaking away from battles you can't yet win.

Also, food is your friend.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    the best thing you can do for weapon durability is learn how to farm arrows and how to use sneak attacks. bows have much higher durability than melee weapons and sneak attacks can be done back to back to kill stuff very fast. knocking stuff off cliffs/into water should be plan A also.

even with an inventory full of savage lynel stuff I almost never attack stuff head on without +attack gear or food.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Got the Korok Mask and am finding all sorts of secrets in the area around Floria Lake that I didn't find before.

That area is dense. One of the pieces of EX gear is proving to be tricky to spot due to that but I'm being stubborn about looking it up.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Any good hints for farming Topaz?

I've found all the other ores I need, and there are definite areas where there are more opals (Frost Talus) or rubies (Igneo Talus).
    But Topaz is being a rarer drop for me than diamonds. I've tried the Gerudo desert as it's the electric themed area, but I can't find any Talus there, and fairly few ore deposits.

I wish there was someone who'd swap ores, I've got about a hundred more amber than I need.

You can make the big gem rocks give you whatever gem you're after by using a correspndig element on it. Ice for sapphire, fire for ruby, electricity for topaz.

you're kidding ....

this damn game

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I was reading all the posts about the Yiga hideout about an hour before I got there, and I think I got lucky because I just went straight through. Got half spotted two times and that almost made it easier.

Didn't realize you could do anything but drop bananas on the ground, but that actually worked pretty well.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

I've found all the other ores I need, and there are definite areas where there are more opals (Frost Talus) or rubies (Igneo Talus).
    But Topaz is being a rarer drop for me than diamonds. I've tried the Gerudo desert as it's the electric themed area, but I can't find any Talus there, and fairly few ore deposits.

I wish there was someone who'd swap ores, I've got about a hundred more amber than I need.

You can make the big gem rocks give you whatever gem you're after by using a correspndig element on it. Ice for sapphire, fire for ruby, electricity for topaz.

you're kidding ....

this damn game

I should have said "destroy the big gem clusters" to be more clear.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The best part of Yiga Clan Hideout (aside from stumbling upon it outside of the story) was coming back to it after beating the game and annihilating the entire compound with ease.

I really love how progression works in this game, reminds me of the early open world games like Morrowind.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    I like the Yiga members in disguise that you find scattered about the world a lot. My favorite might be the one who tries to sell you mighty bananas at 99 rupees apiece, but the ones who are obsessed with Master Kohga and don't appreciate your insults make strong cases as well.

And I would say that the encounters being virtually completely nonthreatening is actually one of the best parts about them. You've got this person screaming at how you will soon be enveloped in darkness because you're going to fucking DIE or that you'll be seeing red from your own BLOOD . . . and then you easily evade their attack(s) and hit them a couple times and done.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    the points progression is interesting, I do wish you could still find lower tier enemies at every tier though. I know engine limitations probably keep this from happening but master mode would have been a lot less lopsided of a difficulty curve if there were still lower tier enemies just a lot more of them.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

you're kidding ....

this damn game

I should have said "destroy the big gem clusters" to be more clear.

I've tried this, and I'm still unconvinced that it isn't the placebo effect.
    I finally got enough Topaz drops, but there were plenty where I didn't, so it felt like the law of large numbers finally worked in my favour.

I also haven't seen mention of this technique anywhere else, which seems suspicious.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    My wife and I couldn't stop laughing today when I used magnetize on a block and just swept it across the field, bowling over a bunch of those goblin things and sending them flying off a cliff (just got a Switch recently).

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what the "correct" way to move those big flat stone slabs that occasionally cover treasure chests is.
    They don't react to bombs or stasis, but usually I just drop a shield and magnetize it underneath. The shield can't lift the slab on its own, but if I push Link up against it at that point the slab just slides away.

It feels like a physics glitch more than a solution, but, eh, it works. Kind of like how I used a chest to get to Evertide Island because I got tired of mashing the button for the Korok Leaf.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the "correct" way to move those big flat stone slabs that occasionally cover treasure chests is.
    They don't react to bombs or stasis, but usually I just drop a shield and magnetize it underneath. The shield can't lift the slab on its own, but if I push Link up against it at that point the slab just slides away.

It feels like a physics glitch more than a solution, but, eh, it works. Kind of like how I used a chest to get to Evertide Island because I got tired of mashing the button for the Korok Leaf.

For that the best thing to do is
    use stasis, it works. I always equip one of my weaker weapons and just beat the hell out the thing with it.

Sometimes the thing covering a rock or treasure chest is a metallic door though and that you can magnetize of course.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular

Octorok balloon.

• Options
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

Octorok balloon.

God dammit I never even thought of that. I always used stasis (it worked, but it often took more than one or two hits to get it to move).
    I wonder how many things I've done would be so much easier if I ever used balloons.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The problem with Octorok balloon is I never have a leaf so I pile on loads to float it right up rather than wafting it away. Then it's race to get in and get out before they reach bursting height and the rock plummets back on to your skull.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Well you can't kill those koroks by dropping a stone slab on them that's for sure.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wish there were octorock balloons that lasted for a longer time without popping.

I still want to turn a raft into an airship, darn it.

• Options
    Most slabs I've just been able to stasis them and thwack them a few times to send them flying.

Then there's the rare slab that has no good way to hit, so I have to get creative with jump attacks. It very much feels like a "This probably isn't the "intended" way to do this".

Wish I though of those damn balloons...

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I started up a new file in BotW now that all the DLC is out, want to see what it's all like when you have a fresh start. I'm actually disappointed in one thing; on the map, the Hero's Path function doesn't track just your current file. It actually has its own file, which records all files you've started since the function installed. So as it stands it's actually useless to me because it is showing me stuff from a previous playthrough that isn't relevant. Cool to see how methodical my movement was through that one though, to discover everything in every inch of land possible.

I'm also doing something new in this run; I'm letting my four-going-on-five nephew decide where to go. He has forbidden the hunting of birds and goats.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    You could always delete the save file on the system.

EDIT - back up the save file, then delete it off the system.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    You could always delete the save file on the system.

EDIT - back up the save file, then delete it off the system.
    That's more work than I'm willing to put up with. I wouldn't know how to do it on the Wii U anyway.

• Options
    Just go to system settings, saved data. It's in the botw folder.

I've had to delete a lot of stuff thanks to my youngest downloading demos.

• Options
    This game is just nuts. I beat my first Lynel, the red one, and then ran into a white one. I managed to beat that one and got some awesome weapons but used up all my good meals. While I'm going to a shrine, I see another white Lynel. I just past him by. Not ten minutes later, I run into another one. They were everywhere I wanted to go. So I decided to have a go at the last one I saw and got it about halfway down when a blood moon appeared. That did not end well for me.

Later on I decided I was getting good at fighting Guardians, so I'll go pay my respects at
    Lon Lon Ranch
    . I get there and yep a Guardian and a white Bokoblin on horseback. Got rid of the Bokoblin then the Guardian when a second white Bokoblin on horseback shows up. Then a skeleton Bokoblin shows up riding a skeleton horse. That wasn't that bad as it hit a bee hive and they took him out. So I got to ride around on skelton horse in my dark Link outfit until sun up when it re-died.

• Options
    120 motherfuckin' shriiiiines! The reward for completing them all is pretty cool too.
    I like that the Cap/Tunic/Trousers of the Wild are clearly modeled after the clothes Link wears in the very first Legend of Zelda. And the very last shrine I completed was the one within Hyrule Castle, which felt like a nice way to conclude the shrines. Got some awesome gear along the way and a ton of actual [ancient] gears from the numerous slain Guardians left in the wake of destruction during my siege.

Going back to the castle exterior I caught a shooting star and decided to go where it landed as long as I was getting out of there to claim my shrine quest reward at the Forgotten Temple. It just so happened that as I was gliding over to it that it happened to be right on the way and it also landed right next to a Gold Lynel who took notice of me and seemed eager to die. All of that and fighting the Guardians in the Forgotten Temple again made for an awesome little sequence after what had already been an awesome sequence of storming the castle and just wailing on shit with the Master Sword and an array of other weapons. This game is the best!

• Options
    Oh what the hell?
    Thing about Octorocks I never knew:
    Apparently if you throw rusty weapons at Rock Octorocks while they're sucking stuff in, they clean them up and spit them out?
    I'm not used to games not telling me stuff like that.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Yup that is true.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sadly, I'm a crumbum who doesn't think the endeavor is entirely worth it. You can get some damn nice gear from them, but you can also get stuff that makes it barely worth the effort. Maybe if you got a whole whack of rusted gear and cleaned it in bulk.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It is incredibly useful in two areas. Without spoiling directly, imagine if your weapons were all taken away.
    Eventide Island and Trial of the Sword part 3

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »
    It is incredibly useful in two areas. Without spoiling directly, imagine if your weapons were all taken away.
    Eventide Island and Trial of the Sword part 3
    Oh yeah, I definitely did it on the 3rd trial. Sadly I kinda struck out and never got anything really good. Not that you really need it though since you'll be drowning in weapons during the trial.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'm still pretty new to the game. I just kind of did a Skyrim thing and started heading North. I am getting my ass one hit K-O'd by the big baddies and it feels bad.

Other than that, I love the game. Super happy I bought the Switch. I do wish I could remap the crouch controls though.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    The kingdom of Hyrule has been saved. Ending spoilers.
    The fight with Ganon wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. He was creepy as hell. Maybe at one time he was a man, but that time has long since past. You definitely have to use every trick you learned to beat him. Smacking the beam back in his face was great, so was unloading arrows at him in slow-mo. I wonder if I didn't free the divine beasts if it would have been harder. His beast form took longer to beat because I suck at horseback fighting. The first cut scene was cool. Yes Zelda, I really remember who you are. I've been saving your ass for over thirty years now. The second one was meh. Yep, go be happy ghost people. The third was great. It makes me want a direct sequel, the rebuilding of Hyrule with Link and Zelda.
    Feeling pretty good about finishing the story. I climbed up to the top of the castle and jumped off. Now I just have to finish about thirty more shrines, side quests, minigames, and general exploration.

Such a great game.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I really like how you can judt play in short bursts if you want.

Now if I could just get more rupees... and arrows

Fencingsax on