As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited August 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
Agents_of_SHIELD_logo.jpg

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD began as a paint-by-numbers NCIS-style show with a focus on the covert agency's attempt at keeping the world safe. Things went sideways when Hydra was revealed in Winter Soldier. Nothing's been the same since. SHIELD has been dismantled by the government and labeled a terrorist organization. Fury tasked Coulson with reforming SHIELD from the ground up. Then Inhumans started sprouting up everywhere, and SHIELD started dealing with that. Now there's a Ghost Rider and a literal magic book that is totally not the Cryptonomicon and, oh yeah, human replacement robots called LMDs exist and you can't tell them from people.

A full season of 22 episodes have been ordered for Season 5.

It has not yet been renewed for Season 6.

Active Agents, as of the start of Season 4
250?cb=20161027071556

Jeffrey Mace (Jason O'Mara), the new Director of SHIELD. Put in charge as the public face of SHIELD since the world still thinks that Agent Coulson is dead. Credited as a hero when he risked his own life to save the lives of others during a bombing of the U.N. in Vienna.

250?cb=20160923230126

Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg), previous Director of SHIELD, now reporting to Jeffrey Mace. Don't fuck with his team or he will end you, politely. Cyborg hand upgraded with cool Captain America-style hard light defensive matrix.

250?cb=20160923230258

Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen), SHIELD elite veteran who says little and packs a big punch. Nicknamed The Cavalry when she rescued an entire SHIELD team from a powered individual. Took a vacation after the nastiness at Afterlife. Back in the field, but slightly less reserved and more tempered than when she was first introduced.

250?cb=20160923230337

Daisy Johnson (Chloe Bennet), once a naive hacker living in a van but now is a living weapon. The first Inhuman on the team, Daisy is able to project vibrations powerful enough to stop bullets - and level mountains. Probably the most badass person in the room.

250?cb=20160923230218

Leopold Fitz (Iain De Caestecker), technological genius and half of our favorite doomed couple. Loves prosciutto and mozzarella sandwiches with pesto aioli. Also Jemma Simmons.

250?cb=20160923230242

Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge), genius biologist who originally wasn't very good at lying, but got a lot better at it after she infiltrated Hydra and turned to management. The other half of our favorite doomed couple.

250?cb=20160923230317

Alphonso "Mack" Mackenzie (Henry Simmons), the big, burly, stern-faced... rather brilliant mechanic and emotionally tuned individual. Enjoys teasing his friends and rehabilitate everyone who needs it. Which is everyone. Fond of axes. And shotguns. Preferred weapon: shotgun-axe.

250?cb=20140531025908

Billy Koenig, Level 6 S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and one of the few men trusted by Nick Fury to guard secret SHIELD bases. Billy was stationed at The Playground, an old SSR base presumably in Europe. Billy likes to play Call of Duty during down time.

250?cb=20140728221025

Sam Koenig, Level 6 S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and one of the few men trusted by Nick Fury to guard secret SHIELD bases. Sam was a bit more of a field agent than his other brothers, helping Coulson to rescue Raina from Hydra operatives. When Coulson took the team into the Kree city beneath San Juan, Puerto Rico, Coulson told Sam to head to The Playground and active Theta Protocol if things went poorly.

250?cb=20170203092255

LT Koenig (Artemis Pebdani), veteran S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and the elder sister of Eric, Billy, Sam, and Thurston (not a SHIELD Agent) Koenig.

Retired Agents
250?cb=20150918192923
Lance Hunter (Nick Blood), British once-merc with a shady past, womanizer and hasn't gotten over his ex, Bobbi Morse. He's kind of a dick, but in that sort of awesome way. Retired following being burned in a SHIELD operation.

250?cb=20170311010005

Bobbi Morse (Adrianne Palicki), elite SHIELD operative skilled in deception and combat. Worked undercover at Hydra. Abducted and tortured by Ward. Bears the name, physical similarity, and fighting style of Mockingbird from the comics. Retired following being burned in a SHIELD operation.

SHIELD Memorial Wall
250?cb=20140728025712

Eric Koenig, Level 6 S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and one of the few men trusted by Nick Fury to guard secret SHIELD bases. Eric was stationed at Providence, a facility hidden in Canada. Fond of lanyards. Murdered by Ward during Ward's attempt to kidnap Skye for Hydra.

250?cb=20141012051016

Antoine Triplett (BJ Britt): SHIELD agent and grandson of a Howling Commando. Killed trying to save Daisy during her exposure to Terrigen Mist.

250?cb=20150506070523

Robert Gonzales (Edward James Olmos), the face of "Real SHIELD", an unauthorized SHIELD offshoot operating without Nick Fury's knowledge or blessing. Opposed Coulson's SHIELD for a brief time. Killed by Jiaying to incite conflict between SHIELD and the Inhumans of Afterlife.

250?cb=20160304031423

Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), a spy sent by Hydra to infiltrate SHIELD. Captured, escaped, captured again, escaped again. Kidnapped Bobbi and tortured her at length in order to rehabilitate the damaged Agent 33. Left to rebuild Hydra after Hunter tricked him into killing her. Killed by Phil Coulson on Maveth. Body used by the Inhuman creature known as Hive, until it was destroyed in a nuclear blast following the Battle of the Playground.

PLEASE NOTE, REGARDING SPOILERS - Tag anything that applies to episodes less than a week old, and obviously tag anything from upcoming episodes.

jdarksun on

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    That OP... might need a bit of work done.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

It's just the framework version of the OP.

It's fine.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    It amuses me that several of my pics from my SHIELD thread are going to continue living on in SHIELD threads in D & D until the end of time. * evil laugh*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkrF43SZEU

Harry Dresden on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @Bethryn Gave it a fresh coat of paint, did I miss anything? :)

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Really ought to put those characters in their new Framework roles.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Catching up un season 4.

Ming Na Wen being tiny leads to a really funny shot in episode 15.
    Mace, May, Coulson and Fitz next to each other in the framework machine. May is a head or mor smaller than the others. Then it zooms out and you see their bare feet and May is making tippy toes to reach even that height.

@jdarksun

Very much improved, though "THAITI" is a much less magical place, and at very least Radcliffe and possibly AIDA could use inclusion.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Raina was never SHIELD.

Oh, one other thing I meant to say.

I was very sad that Whitehall didn't show up in AIDA's Hydra. Loved him.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I'm not super sure on the level of spoilers to include in the OP, so I defaulted to "Situation as of the beginning of Season 4."

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I hope Simmons and Daisy go all Matrix in the Framework.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm not super sure on the level of spoilers to include in the OP, so I defaulted to "Situation as of the beginning of Season 4."

You put in your OP that we're tagging anything up to a week old. So tomorrow night?

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    jdarksun wrote: »

As a rule of thumb, assuming everyone has watched up to the end of the prior season for the OP is fair.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    So Like, I got sidelined from watching an episode or two before the mid season break

What episode is a good point to drop back in, considering it looks like Hulu and ABC cycled like four episodes I missed out of streaming

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    So Like, I got sidelined from watching an episode or two before the mid season break

What episode is a good point to drop back in, considering it looks like Hulu and ABC cycled like four episodes I missed out of streaming

Last week's episode is as good a point to drop back in as any, since we're basically starting over in an alternate reality at that point.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Does Aida have a body walking around IRL or is she just jacked into the framework now

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Does Aida have a body walking around IRL or is she just jacked into the framework now

She has had a body, I think she's just monitoring on the inside. Or she just checks in on occasion. Or is wirelessly linked and in both places at once because super science robot.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Or that isn't Aida inside the Framework.

I'm gonna say that we saw Agnes.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Or Aida just made a copy of herself. Remember there were at least 2 Aida LMD's.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's Aidas all the way down.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It's Aidas all the way down.

I had a dream like that... :winky:

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    If they go full Matrix, I feel like their budget might allow for a fight between two Aidas and Daisy with Ward or May.

Edit:
    Maybe stretch it to three Aidas versus Daisy, Ward, and May

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    @jdarksun You spelled 'retired' agents as 'retried'. How many retries do they get, exactly? Is it a framework feature, like video game lives? :P

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Prediction: at the end of this whole Framework thing, AI brains being, as they are, apparently just as good as human brains, Good Framework Ward's consciousness gets transferred out of the Framework into a Ward LMD body or (somehow) actual human Brett Dalton body.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Prediction: at the end of this whole Framework thing, AI brains being, as they are, apparently just as good as human brains, Good Framework Ward's consciousness gets transferred out of the Framework into a Ward LMD body or (somehow) actual human Brett Dalton body.

Yes, they need to keep finding more and more comic booky ways to keep Dalton on this show.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Season 8: Meet his identical twin brother, Brant Ward!

(He wouldn't shoot his dog when Garrett asked him to - he knows they're good dogs)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sadly, there's a good chance this is the last season so hopefully there's anything after it.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Man I hope SHIELD gets a cameo in Infinity War.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They probably will. Not Coulson though.

sig.gif
    edited April 2017
    Sorce wrote: »
    They probably will. Not Coulson though.

Frankly, I'm starting to think no one on the movie side is ever going to learn that Coulson is alive. He's been banished to the tv branch.

Harry Dresden on
    Do they even need to keep him dead? He was the reason for the original Avengers to team up, but that team is more or less gone now.

Do they even need to keep him dead? He was the reason for the original Avengers to team up, but that team is more or less gone now.

Supposedly Whedon wanted him for Age of Ultron, except he found that he'd have needed to spend some time to focus on that event so it was dropped. That was his last big opportunity to be in the movies.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ward shows up in Infinity War pt 1, betrays humanity, then betrays Thanos and takes the glove. Cut to title card for pt 2: Avengers: Infinity Ward coming not-soon-enough.

Bobble on
    Bobble wrote: »
    Ward shows up in Infinity War pt 1, betrays humanity, then betrays Thanos and takes the glove. Cut to title card for pt 2: Avengers: Infinity Ward coming not-soon-enough.

And cue the lawsuits from the Call of Duty developer.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Sue Disney? Haha, sure.

Sue Disney? Haha, sure.

If anyone's dumb enough to do it, Activision is.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Sue Disney? Haha, sure.

If anyone's dumb enough to do it, Activision is.

I doubt that.

Even a really stupid fly isn't going to try and take out an F-16.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I have been saying this (internally) for years.

Ward is an Angel (from BtVS) analogue.

Except instead of hearing about all the horrible stuff hes done in the past, we actually seen it. Experienced it, first hand.

I always saw small snippets and gleams of skewed or warped altruism.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

I have been saying this (internally) for years.

Ward is an Angel (from BtVS) analogue.

Except instead of hearing about all the horrible stuff hes done in the past, we actually seen it. Experienced it, first hand.

I always saw small snippets and gleams of skewed or warped altruism.

My go-to for a gleam of something redeemable is dropping Fitz & Simmons in the ocean.

It really was the best chance for them to survive.