As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I mean, Daisy being the legit villain until Jemma forces her to remember Zeke and his lemons would be kind of hilarious.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Oh, good. I liked Deke. They'll probably need his help to
    find Fitz.

Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll see Enoch again too?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

find Fitz.

I hope so, he was rad too. Also RIP his replacement that lasted literally one episode.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

find Fitz.

I hope so, he was rad too. Also RIP his replacement that lasted literally one episode.

I totally expected
    that other guy to show up later in the season. I assumed his "human suit" just got blown off and his robot self escaped or something; I remember them showing his bloody "footprints" at the beginning of the following episode.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

find Fitz.

I totally expected
    that other guy to show up later in the season. I assumed his "human suit" just got blown off and his robot self escaped or something; I remember them showing his bloody "footprints" at the beginning of the following episode.
    Those weren't his footprints, that was uh... whoever was there that was hurt and Fitz was checking.

• Options
    Rewatching the show I just realized season 3 has an internal plothole / error.
    The monolith portal is a HYDRA thing. The old castle machine to open the portal was HYDRA, so they knew how to open the portal manually. And yet apparently they didn't know how to bring people back from the other side. Did they seriously not consider "open the portal manually again"?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    If
    The monolith portal is a HYDRA thing. The old castle machine to open the portal was HYDRA, so they knew how to open the portal manually. And yet apparently they didn't know how to bring people back from the other side. Did they seriously not consider "open the portal manually again"?

Different types of McGuffins. One is one way, the other two way.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

They tried. It didn't work.
    The portal opens in a different relative place depending on the landscape around it each time. It has been awhile since I saw that bit, but I think that the difference in rotation/orbit of earth and the end point planet means that it is very difficult for the people on the other end to know where to be when it opens. They can't just go back to where they appeared first.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    The portal's location on the other side of the wormhole was random, remember? Jemma had to jury rig a machine to calculate it's location, using old computer equipment powered by her phone.

EDIT: Also, they were sending sacrifices for their god; they didn't WANT to bring them back.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So weird seeing cast photos without Clark Gregg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Ming-Na Wen is a god damn sorceress. She is older in that pic than Wilford Brimley was in Cacoon!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I love how Jeff Ward looks like he's just happy to be there. Like somebody just gave him so many lemons.

• Options
    I'm sure that photo isn't any indication that Clark Gregg is done with the show. This is the Marvel Universe afterall.

I just saw Yoyo's debut episode again last night. I can't find a clip of it online but I love when she's
    in the white room, staring out the window at SHIELD, and pissed off while rapidly trying to get out.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yoyo pretty quickly became my favorite character. I was also quite happy when she hooked up with my other favorite character Mack.
    Boy the last half of last season sure made me mad I ever felt that way.

E: About him. She's still great.

Aistan on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I really don't like Zeke.

Also, I was meta-disappointed in Daisy when I found out that Chloe Bennet was dating Logan Paul. Which makes no sense at all.

• Options
    I really don't like Zeke.

Also, I was meta-disappointed in Daisy when I found out that Chloe Bennet was dating Logan Paul. Which makes no sense at all.

*Deke

But yeah, that shit's weird.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    That pic is weirding me out. Simmons has bangs and Daisy looks like a stewardess.

• Options

Clark Gregg is still a director in Agents of SHIELD.

As in, he's directing episode(s?).

• Options
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Not directly related to the show itself, but the Captain Marvel trailer dropped and there's a glimpse of Coulson at 1:33.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8

• Options
    I rewatched the first Avengers movie for the first time in a while and it's fun to see stuff that was followed up on in the show. When Coulson dies, Steve asks Tony if he was married, and Tony replies with "there was a cellist, I think."

Earlier in the movie Tony makes reference to life model decoys. Obviously it's just a throwaway line there, but it's fun.

And of course, there's Powers Boothe's unnamed character on the World Security Council who gets a name in Agents of SHIELD when he shows up as Gideon Malick.

Also, season 5 blooper roll? Season 5 blooper roll:
    https://youtu.be/ZsNf98J6VQQ

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/marvel-s-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-officially-renewed-for-season-7?linkId=59753426

Well this is a nice change of pace, AoS is already confirmed for a seventh season!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Disney+ must feeeeeeed

• Options
    Marvel: Cancel Iron Fist. And Luke Cage. And probably Jessica Jones and Daredevil too, fuck it.

Also Marvel: Shit, where's my man Coulson at? Give him two more seasons.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    In some ways, it has become super meta.

Comics: they're dead. Except they're not. They're not dead unless you see a body, and even then odds are good it was an illusion or a shapeshifter or an LMD or an alternate reality or...

MCU: it's over, except they're not, well maybe they are, or perhaps it's just moving to a new streaming service.

Like, Loki's dead but throw in a series earlier than that point and suddenly Hiddleston has plenty of work to do all the same. (to be fair, he's also died several times before, so it not sticking would be plenty fitting as well)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Marvel: Cancel Iron Fist. And Luke Cage. And probably Jessica Jones and Daredevil too, fuck it.

There's a key difference. AoS is made for and broadcast on network television (non-cable), which means a massive audience. Traditional media sourcing still carries more weight, especially since it has advertising slots attached to it.

• Options

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” stars Ming-Na Wen, Chloe Bennet, Iain De Caestecker, Elizabeth Henstridge, Henry Simmons, Natalia Cordova-Buckley and Jeff Ward.

Clark Gregg is notably missing from that cast list. :(

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” stars Ming-Na Wen, Chloe Bennet, Iain De Caestecker, Elizabeth Henstridge, Henry Simmons, Natalia Cordova-Buckley and Jeff Ward.

So is Brett Dalton.

• Options

They don't list Jeff Ward as Deke Shaw, either (they did for the Season 6 announcement).

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

They don't list Jeff Ward as Deke Shaw, either (they did for the Season 6 announcement).

???

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

There's a key difference. AoS is made for and broadcast on network television (non-cable), which means a massive audience. Traditional media sourcing still carries more weight, especially since it has advertising slots attached to it.

Except AoS has had bad ratings for years, the main reason it hasn't been cancelled several times already by ABC is because Disney wants it around. Agent Carter didn't have this advantage so it got canned. It remains to be seen whether the other tv shows on other networks (Runaways etc) will be protected by Disney, so far this is a trump card AoS has an exclusive on.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    That is very surprising!

• Options

I can't find the article I saw recently, but apparently Netflix cancels shows based on word-of-mouth / show impact across social media and the general internet. The recent seasons of IF and LC had a suuuper low impact. The article went on to compare them to AoS, which has a comparatively steady amount of internet mindshare.

Which is neat, but makes me wonder if the Netflix shows are at least partially a casualty of the whole "binge tv" thing.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That sounds like someones wild silly idea on how they'd run their business. Social media, riiiiight.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    The other issue is probably that Disney's still planning on launching its own streaming service next year, while Netflix is also if memory serves trying to focus on Netflix owned stuff, at least for the US Market.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That sounds like someones wild silly idea on how they'd run their business. Social media, riiiiight.
    That's at least partially, how they do it on the CW as well. Social media presence and support online is how they can tell if their show is something that should be kept around.

Arguably well past their expiration date in a couple of situations.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I found the article

Also here's the one that shows AoS tops all Marvel shows

Also apparently the standardized unit of measurement for TV demand is called "Demand Expressions" and two companies that measure it are Parrot Analytics and Crimson Hexagon and I swear to god those names sound more like villainous enterprises than Hydra and AIM.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That article is pulling the classic correlation and causation fallacy. Netflix shows in general don't generate buzz for a long period of time since they're binged. It is better than nothing since they don't release numbers, but those numbers are what run things. If it showed 1 billion people watched, but only 1k tweeted I am sure they'd still be around. If they're not watching, though, no tweeting about it.

And AoS being the most watched "Marvel Show" may as well say it has the most "Total Viewers". Network TV could give a shit, Disney is keeping that going. But that leads into the other shows- AoS ratings are crap, so then the Marvel stuff must be pretty abysmal and worse (though the metrics for streaming probably help a lot too. Just not enough for IF and LC so far).

Like the article says, it could be anything, but people not watching is the main problem almost certainly.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Netflix is such a weird beast when it comes to producing shows. It would seem, at least superficially, that the best strategy for them is to have the least amount of content possible to earn your subscription. So, maybe 2 Marvel shows grabs all the possible Marvel dollars, according to their data.

AoS on the other hand, seems to be viewed as a loss leader. It keeps the MCU in mind in between movies. I guess? I don't quite get it, you would think every movie contract would come with like, 3 mandatory episodes. If the point really is to sell the movies, you'd think they'd do a lot more selling. Seems like there's another reason it hangs on that nobody has touched on yet.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Netflix is such a weird beast when it comes to producing shows. It would seem, at least superficially, that the best strategy for them is to have the least amount of content possible to earn your subscription. So, maybe 2 Marvel shows grabs all the possible Marvel dollars, according to their data.

AoS on the other hand, seems to be viewed as a loss leader. It keeps the MCU in mind in between movies. I guess? I don't quite get it, you would think every movie contract would come with like, 3 mandatory episodes. If the point really is to sell the movies, you'd think they'd do a lot more selling. Seems like there's another reason it hangs on that nobody has touched on yet.

Maybe Bob Iger really likes it?

It is weird how the crossover aspect has faded. First it was a plot point for half a season, the an episode or two dealing with the aftermath now it's just a quick mention of Thanos and a fight somewhere off-screen. I'm kind of amused of the idea about Graviton getting involved in the events with Infinity War, like he wanted to. Somehow Stark would discover Coulson being alive before leaving Earth.

Harry Dresden on