As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Watched the episode live for once.
    oh god, they're really going to do the thing where they replace awesome Fitz with Evil Fitz, aren't they?
    No they're not, because now that I mentioned it, they'll do something else. Ha!
    Also:
    "alternative facts"

SteevL on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Speculation
    AIDA gets her mortal human body only to be immediately shotgun axed by Mack

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Also:
    "alternative facts"

That's the one you find great? Not
    The "furniture shopping" Bakshi line?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    That's it, if one of these characters utters the "grab her by the pussy" line, I will buy this season on blu ray. I love every single one of these jabs at our real world hydra government.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It has been a joy seeing how hard they lean into just how messed up everything is for real, using this "through the looking glass" narrative as a vehicle for it.

I honestly don't care if it turns people off because it makes them have to reflect on why those folks are "the baddies" here. Fuck them. This is an example or art imitating life and being better for it. This is moving towards being the best story arc they have ever done on this show.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

Also:
    "alternative facts"

That's the one you find great? Not
    The "furniture shopping" Bakshi line?

oh hey, I didn't say anything about it being a great line! Just pointed it out because of its most obvious real-world analog, but I obviously failed to mention why I was pointing it out. It was nice to see that character you mentioned back in the show, though.

I'm starting to have doubts that
    FrameWard will be coming to the real world.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I prefer my reality to not bleed into my fiction in this manner, though. All I get from things like "Make [X] Great Again", or "Nevertheless, she persisted" or things like that is the writers putting it in there while telling themselves they're so very clever for it. You don't need to draw a parallel between the current real-life administration and a fictional one to make me believe that the fictional one is evil.

The furniture thing was amusing, though.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    My guess is that in 4x20,
    they blaze it.
    I think you mean Johnny Blaze it. :P

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I prefer my reality to not bleed into my fiction in this manner, though. All I get from things like "Make [X] Great Again", or "Nevertheless, she persisted" or things like that is the writers putting it in there while telling themselves they're so very clever for it. You don't need to draw a parallel between the current real-life administration and a fictional one to make me believe that the fictional one is evil.

The furniture thing was amusing, though.

You are looking at this from the wrong direction.

This is the writers using Hydra to show that the stuff we are doing in the real world is wrong. This is their protest, in a way. This is them saying that you can recognize wrong when you see it, and you can do something about it.

I am honestly a bit surprised ABC/Marvel/Disney is letting them go so direct on all of this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    They're also not the only show I watch that's doing it, so to me, it's tiresome that way.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I find the whole thing both hilarious and a little too on the nose groan inducing. The lines do feel a little shoe horned in. Non-American though, so take that as it is.

Can someone explain the furniture thing?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    I find the whole thing both hilarious and a little too on the nose groan inducing. The lines do feel a little shoe horned in. Non-American though, so take that as it is.

Can someone explain the furniture thing?

furniture shopping was part of the pussy grab tape / trump's spiel on the woman he tried to hit on and failed.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so latest ep and the promo:
    does this mean there's a chance that we wont lose Radcliffe at the end of the season? could we see him getting a brand new body? really hope so as it'd be shame to lose John Hannah, he's been an amazing addition to the cast. am obviously assuming we get a renewal for this.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    does this mean there's a chance that we wont lose Radcliffe at the end of the season? could we see him getting a brand new body? really hope so as it'd be shame to lose John Hannah, he's been an amazing addition to the cast. am obviously assuming we get a renewal for this.

Next week trailer reaction
    AIDA getting a human body seems like a downgrade.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

AIDA getting a human body seems like a human body seems like a downgrade.
    There are no more strings on me.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Next week
    I would love to see Radcliffe back; he's been my favourite addition to the cast this season.

Presumably, the created lifeforms would have the memories from the simulation? So AIDA would have tinges of Madame Hydra beliefs? And if Fitz made it, he'd have only the Framework beliefs? Possible doppelganger scenario too, which I think might be too silly, but hey.

I really don't see AIDA giving the Russian back a human body.

Also, AIDA's whole plan is pretty weird. Or well, let's presume perhaps it's not AIDA and it's the Darkhold instead. But it goes:

"I want to be in a real body so I can be a Real Girl/infect a real human rather than an AI with all its programmed limitations.
    So I build a massive simulated world and capture a genius scientist to put inside it. Then I brainwash him to create the tech to take minds from inside the simulation (including mine) and put them into a human body, created using Darkhold powers." I don't see why the simulation step is needed. If the Darkhold is the keeper of these insane pseudo-magical dark secrets, what prevents AIDA herself from just doing it? Why does she need Fitz at all (especially to do it from within the simulation). If she knows enough to build the receiving machine on the outside world, why does she need Fitz to build it inside?

Oh, and I did enjoy that they finally (partially) got the Ophelia reference in, on the bed. I was waiting on that one.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

AIDA getting a human body seems like a human body seems like a downgrade.
    There are no more strings on me.

Next week
    Pity she isn't Ultron, he could surive a bullet - human AIDA. Nope.

• Options
    It seems very possible that Fitz will just kill Radcliffe after getting the relevant information about Daisy & crew's destination out of him.

One nice little touch I've appreciated during this arc is all the "previously on Agents of Shield" bits have been spoken by Daisy rather than Coulson.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Next week
    I would love to see Radcliffe back; he's been my favourite addition to the cast this season.

Presumably, the created lifeforms would have the memories from the simulation? So AIDA would have tinges of Madame Hydra beliefs? And if Fitz made it, he'd have only the Framework beliefs? Possible doppelganger scenario too, which I think might be too silly, but hey.

Also, AIDA's whole plan is pretty weird. Or well, let's presume perhaps it's not AIDA and it's the Darkhold instead. But it goes:

"I want to be in a real body so I can be a Real Girl/infect a real human rather than an AI with all its programmed limitations.
    So I build a massive simulated world and capture a genius scientist to put inside it. Then I brainwash him to create the tech to take minds from inside the simulation (including mine) and put them into a human body, created using Darkhold powers." I don't see why the simulation step is needed. If the Darkhold is the keeper of these insane pseudo-magical dark secrets, what prevents AIDA herself from just doing it? Why does she need Fitz at all (especially to do it from within the simulation). If she knows enough to build the receiving machine on the outside world, why does she need Fitz to build it inside?

Oh, and I did enjoy that they finally (partially) got the Ophelia reference in, on the bed. I was waiting on that one.

Next week
    The twist is - it's not really AIDA, it's a demon shaped like AIDA.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    syndalis wrote: »
    It has been a joy seeing how hard they lean into just how messed up everything is for real, using this "through the looking glass" narrative as a vehicle for it.

I honestly don't care if it turns people off because it makes them have to reflect on why those folks are "the baddies" here. Fuck them. This is an example or art imitating life and being better for it. This is moving towards being the best story arc they have ever done on this show.

Fuck who?

This on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    This wrote: »

Fuck who?

Star Lord?

Edit for substance:
    Prediction
    We get Ward, Tripp, and Radcliffe back.

Mack either stays or gets his daughter out and quits.

Last shot of the season is Evil Fitz crossing over.

The show gets canned.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    This wrote: »

Fuck who?

Star Lord?

tumblr_nf3e3yrTds1srzrtyo4_250.gif

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Next week

Framework was Radcliffe's doing and is a core part of AIDA's programming. She's just working within the limits provided.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I think I missed that one, what was it?

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I might enjoy this kind of stuff except that our "real world Hydra government" isn't MCU Hydra at all. It's Deadpool's Hydra, where all the agents are dumb as hell and only slightly know what all the buttons on the doomsday device do despite the fact they made it. The fact people are scared of Trump's reign when he couldn't do the one thing he said he'd do, destroy Obamacare, doesn't make me think "This is a totally competent and evil government that I should fear" but "our system of electing Presidents is basically popularity contests like that from High School." I get the point of the narrative of the show, that it's using our real world fears and using real world quotes to say "Hey, our President is a dangerous asshole" and is showing a world where people don't stop this kind of evil but it loses me with it because of how not scary the people they are quoting are. It's like if ISIS suddenly started wearing twirly mustaches and laughed like Dr. Evil, I'd have problems taking them seriously. Stuff like "Make Hydra Great Again" and "Nevertheless, she persisted" just feels... dumb to me and throws the sense of competence away from the show's villains.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I might enjoy this kind of stuff except that our "real world Hydra government" isn't MCU Hydra at all. It's Deadpool's Hydra, where all the agents are dumb as hell and only slightly know what all the buttons on the doomsday device do despite the fact they made it. The fact people are scared of Trump's reign when he couldn't do the one thing he said he'd do, destroy Obamacare, doesn't make me think "This is a totally competent and evil government that I should fear" but "our system of electing Presidents is basically popularity contests like that from High School." I get the point of the narrative of the show, that it's using our real world fears and using real world quotes to say "Hey, our President is a dangerous asshole" and is showing a world where people don't stop this kind of evil but it loses me with it because of how not scare the people they are quoting are. It's like if ISIS suddenly started wearing twirly mustaches and laughed like Dr. Evil, I'd have problems taking them seriously. Stuff like "Make Hydra Great Again" and "Nevertheless, she persisted" just feels... dumb to me and throws the sense of competence away from the show's villains.

Heh. I wish, Trump lost the popular vote. Lol

The references shouldn't be taken literally, Framework HYDRA aren't that stupid - what it does is remind people that people with similar beliefs still remain dangerous today making Nazis HYDRA are a threat that wasn't fully destroyed in WW 2. As well as the fact It's a relevant subject matter since the MCU is meant to be very similar to our world.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I find it a little eye-roll inducing in its lack of subtlety.

The despotic, totalitarian regime that rose to power by propagating false information and exploiting people's fear of the "other" has real-world parallels. Got it. That alone tells a pretty relevant and topical story.

ALSO THE MAIN BAD GUY'S NAME IS TONALD DRUMP *WINK WINK* GET IT?
    IT'S DONALD TRUMP

I... I got it. Thanks.

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I find it a little eye-roll inducing in its lack of subtlety.

The despotic, totalitarian regime that rose to power by propagating false information and exploiting people's fear of the "other" has real-world parallels. Got it. That alone tells a pretty relevant and topical story.

ALSO THE MAIN BAD GUY'S NAME IS TONALD DRUMP *WINK WINK* GET IT?
    IT'S DONALD TRUMP

I... I got it. Thanks.
    No? It's AIDA Madam HYDRA.

• Options
    So for a few seconds there I thought
    Ward might turn to get his Skye back. Now I think he either gets his happy ending, or he gets mortally wounded, and he crosses over.

Fitz
    Second in command of Hydra, boning the head, and he still can't stand up to his father.

Framework rules
    So Daisy and Jemma essentially wrote over their avatars. The question is what happens when they leave. And would the same thing happen to the others. Do they get restored to a previous state or not? We saw what happened with Aida, but she may be a special case.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    As I understand it:
    Using framework Fitz to design the machine might have been to save time. Time in the Framework seems much sped up.

It's also a great way to repurpose previous cast members.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I'm betting Fitz
    ends up killing his father before this is all over. Probably as a device to cement his turn to the Dark Side just before he exits the Framework.

Random already-dead lady is bad enough, but his own father!? Tsk tsk villain Fitz. That's the sort of experience that changes a man.

RT800 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm betting Fitz
    ends up killing his father before this is all over. Probably as a device to cement his turn to the Dark Side just before he exits the Framework.

Random already-dead lady is bad enough, but his own father!? Tsk tsk villain Fitz. That's the sort of experience that changes a man.
    Well, not really his father. Just a computer simulation of what his father might have been like.
    I mean, sure, that might change a person, but it doesn't seem likely.
    My money is he's got Jemma dead to rights, possibly with an elaborate death trap, and pulls the trigger a fraction of a second too late. She escapes back to the real world realizing that Evil Fitz just tried to kill her and nearly succeeded.
    What's the over/under on both Evil and Good Fitz somehow making it out of the Framework? Assuming, of course, that the show isn't cancelled.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm betting Fitz

Well, not really his father. Just a computer simulation of what his father might have been like.
    I mean, sure, that might change a person, but it doesn't seem likely.
    My money is he's got Jemma dead to rights, possibly with an elaborate death trap, and pulls the trigger a fraction of a second too late. She escapes back to the real world realizing that Evil Fitz just tried to kill her and nearly succeeded.
    What's the over/under on both Evil and Good Fitz somehow making it out of the Framework? Assuming, of course, that the show isn't cancelled.
    Evil Fitz as Scorpius in Good Fitz's head?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I don't think it makes much sense
    for two Fitz's to come out of the Framework. Framework Fitz isn't an evil copy of Fitz in the same sense that Framework Ward is a "copy" of Ward - Framework Fitz is Fitz himself.

He'll either come out messed up and evil, not knowing which reality was the real one... or he'll be himself again.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    for two Fitz's to come out of the Framework. Framework Fitz isn't an evil copy of Fitz in the same sense that Framework Ward is a "copy" of Ward - Framework Fitz is Fitz himself.

He'll either come out messed up and evil, not knowing which reality was the real one... or he'll be himself again.
    He'll know which reality was the real one.

The Framework reality was real. This other horrifying reality where Hydra fails? That's obviously not real. And the Doctor has a lot of work to do. He'll use the Darkhold and the science/magic contained with in. With the power that the Doctor will gain, his enemies are Doomed!

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

Well, what if
    Fitz leaving the Framework results in the program "restoring" Evil Fitz to the empty body? They did set up the possibility with Daisy/Skye...

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Well, the matter device creates matter out of "nothing" so wouldn't effectively just be making a "copy" of the framework person?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Aida
    getting tossed out of the triskelion was great

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Well, the matter device creates matter out of "nothing" so wouldn't effectively just be making a "copy" of the framework person?

Depends
    It might upload that copy to the new brain, or it might upload the whole of Fitz's mind into the new brain keeping the hydra programming.

Also I think they've been placing a heavy emphasis on the people not just being digital AI. They seem an awful lot like real people, and what's to say they aren't? The Darkhold was involved and it can do some heavy shit. This might be a weird portal into another universe, or these all might be actual sentient lives. They can't just shut it off and not worry about it anymore, at least not ethically. I'm guessing Mac will make this argument and want to stay with his daughter.