As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This is why, after evil Fitz, never leaving the Matrix is my next most likely prediction. If they decide that digital peoples are real enough to fight for, they can seal off the show from the greater MCU by keeping the cast in their own private sandbox. Kinda like keeping your least liked kid locked in the attic and feeding him fish heads.

their meat bodies aren't gonna last too long though, IIRC? Deciding to stay in the Framework forever because it's real too means errybody died IRL. :I

Oh brilliant
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Plus we need some payoff for the Russian-head-in-a-jar dude.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    SHIELD would still show up in the movies like the show never existed like it does now and the show ends however it ends any way it wants.

And if you want the most accurate guesswork about renewals look at the ratings and places like tvbythenumbers or the tvgrimreaper. Both those articles are pure fluff pieces with the exception of the 2nd noting this season is the lowest rated ever, the only salient fact.

To date SHIELD's only presence in the films post-Winter Soldier with Nick Fury leading a specific branch (a branch which for all intended purposes in the tv branch doesn't exist), and Civil War ignored SHIELD going public again. Was that a development post-Civil War or Dr. Strange? Or am I overthinking this and we haven't had a movie on Earth acknowledge that? I don't think we're going to get answers to that question with either Thor 3 or GOTG 2.

You know what's really surprising? If the Netflix and Freeform branches ignore it. I understand the movie branch not being politically inclined, even if I disagree how they do it - but what's their excuse? They're all under Loeb's purview.

SHIELD specifically didn't go public until after the Sokovia accords and the events of Civil War. Just before that they were working as a secret branch of the government under the guise of the ATCU.

SHIELD went kinda public in Avengers 1, with the Rising Tide and others questioning their involvement in the Incident. They went fully public in Winter Soldier with the blast of all their secrets.

Sokovia accords are post Ultron / Start of Civil War.

Edit: nm, yeah, they went into hiding again after Winter Soldier and got rolled into the ATCU, then went public again with the Patriot / Daisy. Not sure if they are hiding again after fallout with the Senators assassination.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this buuuuuut....
    When the LMDs were running around the SHIELD base, didn't LMD Coulson send LMD Fitz downstairs to check on the LMD Daisies or something? So he didn't get Quaked like LMD Mack, or exploded like LMD May and Coulson.

So we could have two Fitzes running around come season's end.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    When the LMDs were running around the SHIELD base, didn't LMD Coulson send LMD Fitz downstairs to check on the LMD Daisies or something? So he didn't get Quaked like LMD Mack, or exploded like LMD May and Coulson.

had to double-check my memory, but Mack was the one who checked on the LMDs.

When they discovered LMD Fitz's body, there was a line about patching him up, but no scene followed-up on that. It might have happened off-screen, of course.

Tamin wrote: »

had to double-check my memory, but Mack was the one who checked on the LMDs.

When they discovered LMD Fitz's body, there was a line about patching him up, but no scene followed-up on that. It might have happened off-screen, of course.
    I thought they had gotten him back up and he was in a scene, but I guess not, huh.

Still got all those Daisy LMDs down there though...

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm going to assume someone has dealt with them by now.

Sure, the Core Cast are the decision makers, but for all anyone knows those things could go live and start kicking ass at any time.

Stated openly because the OP's spoiler policy says to tag the most recent episode and anything pending. The episode in question happened 2 months ago.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    The "make X great again" and "nevertheless, she persisted" lines just completely drop me out of the show. It's like watching Battlestar Galactica and then Tom Zarack starts talking about "sectarian violence"

Look, the audience gets it. You're drawing analogies to current events using your show. You don't have to pepper us with the popular phrases of the current zeitgeist for us - that turns from subtext and symbolism to just slapping us with a stick that says "Message."

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Lanz wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    There is some really good character tidbits in this scene.

Regarding that;,
    Coulson putting his hand on Ward's chest...

Especially after Simmons mentioned how that went down in the real world.

Also another bit:
    Curious just what the Framework is using to base things on. Outside the Framework it was Garret who recruited Ward, but here inside it it was Hand

Does that mean that until SHIELD fell and Hydra took over as the de-facto defense agency/intel org, FrameworkWard was never actually Hydra?
    Wasn't Garrett an old partner of Coulson's? So maybe without Coulson there, a mission went bad and he was never around to recruit Ward.
    MorganV wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Fuck an Evil Fitz storyline, as there's a high chance of these being the final eps and they won't reverse that this season if they do it.

Is there an interview somewhere where they said this was the last season?

I mean you could be right but there is no evidence to support this fear.

As far as we know, the show has not been renewed yet. That's what supports this fear...
    And that ratings aren't high enough to reasonably expect it to happen. They're not bad enough either. But if they have a lot of promising shows in the works, or have a higher than normal retention of existing shows, it could make renewal uncertain.

So I agree with Xeddicus, setting up a huge cliffhanger without a higher degree of certainty of being able to resolve it, is just going to serve to piss people off. And that can have a commercial impact regarding resale. There are some shows that I'll buy and some I won't. How they end is a factor in that.

Also, Inhumans is coming out this September, so they may have something to fill the timeslot if they need it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Regarding that;,

Also another bit:
    Curious just what the Framework is using to base things on. Outside the Framework it was Garret who recruited Ward, but here inside it it was Hand

Does that mean that until SHIELD fell and Hydra took over as the de-facto defense agency/intel org, FrameworkWard was never actually Hydra?
    Wasn't Garrett an old partner of Coulson's? So maybe without Coulson there, a mission went bad and he was never around to recruit Ward.
    Fuck an Evil Fitz storyline, as there's a high chance of these being the final eps and they won't reverse that this season if they do it.

As far as we know, the show has not been renewed yet. That's what supports this fear...
    And that ratings aren't high enough to reasonably expect it to happen. They're not bad enough either. But if they have a lot of promising shows in the works, or have a higher than normal retention of existing shows, it could make renewal uncertain.

So I agree with Xeddicus, setting up a huge cliffhanger without a higher degree of certainty of being able to resolve it, is just going to serve to piss people off. And that can have a commercial impact regarding resale. There are some shows that I'll buy and some I won't. How they end is a factor in that.

Also, Inhumans is coming out this September, so they may have something to fill the timeslot if they need it.

Inhumans is probably going to be amateurish trash compared to AoS, considering they're tapping Scott Buck, the showrunner for late season Dexter and Iron Fist, for it.

I would not trade AoS for Inhumans, thank you.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Regarding that;,

Also another bit:

Inhumans is probably going to be amateurish trash compared to AoS, considering they're tapping Scott Buck, the showrunner for late season Dexter and Iron Fist, for it.

I do hope that Daisy shows up in Inhumans from time to time.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Regarding that;,

Also another bit:

Sadly, Iron Fist was one of the most watched original programs on Netflix while AoS started out OK and has gotten worse and worse ratings as time has gone on, so I'm guessing Marvel's show plans probably aren't going to go the way you want.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Iron Fist's quality aside (I thought it was mostly fine minus the last fight), most people have no idea who the show runners are for anything. So the deciding factor will be if Inhuman's pulls in more ratings for ABC (assuming SHIELD is even still around which is looking unlikely at this point anyway).

Edit: I misread that quote tree, but since it's still true I'll just leave this here.

Xeddicus on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I'm sure Inhumans will be fine but I wouldn't trade it for SHIELD.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Iron Fist's quality aside (I thought it was mostly fine minus the last fight), most people have no idea who the show runners are for anything. So the deciding factor will be if Inhuman's pulls in more ratings for ABC (assuming SHIELD is even still around which is looking unlikely at this point anyway).

Edit: I misread that quote tree, but since it's still true I'll just leave this here.

Marvel doesn't need them to know whether the audience know who the showrunners are, what they can judge on that for themselves are the results - which there are plenty of options to pursue. It remains to be seen whether Buck's tenure on IF is enough to make him remain there, it also relies on how much they desire their product to be viewed. The last time they had something anywhere near this reaction was Iron Man 3, though as polarizing as it was everyone felt it was a polished production. As well as the tv branch's history regarding quality, which has a great track record so far.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I mean shit. I even liked Iron Fist. I didn't love it like I do most other Marvel properties but I did enjoy it.

That being said I'd venture to say AoS is probably up there as one of my favorite Marvel properties at the moment.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    AoS could wrap up definitively if, say, there isn't any main character left to continue the story.
    That would certainly do it.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    AoS could wrap up definitively if, say, there isn't any main character left to continue the story.

Ah yes, the Blake's 7 school of ending your show.

edited April 2017

What's great about AoS is that they could end the show now, and restart the series a decade down the line with all new characters.
    One of them is secretly Grant Ward.

Harry Dresden on
    While not being renewed yet is not ideal, looking at Wikipedia, it seems that while Season 4 was green-lit in March, Seasons 2 and 3 were given that treatment in May of their preceding year.

So while I'm growing a bit worried, it wouldn't be completely out of place for that news to come out in the next month yet.

I sure hope it does. I'm really enjoying it.

edited April 2017
    I sure hope it does. I'm really enjoying it.

Same here, I want this show to go on forever. It has a broader range of adaptability then something like NCIS.

Harry Dresden on
    I especially liked the trio of mini-arcs this past season. That's something I'd like to see them continue to work with.

It's almost like 3 mini seasons with overarching elements.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    It certainly keeps things moving quick

Instead of feeling overly long and dragged out ie Netflix marvel

poo
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I especially liked the trio of mini-arcs this past season. That's something I'd like to see them continue to work with.

Yeah, that has worked really well this season. They even had breaks between each arc. I kind of forget that this season started off with Ghost Rider. It feels like so long ago. I hope he comes back.

Weren't there rumors of GR getting a tv series? ABC should do that.

SteevL wrote: »

Yeah, that has worked really well this season. They even had breaks between each arc. I kind of forget that this season started off with Ghost Rider. It feels like so long ago. I hope he comes back.

The constant breaks don't help its ratings, though. People stop tuning into a show when it isn't on for a month...

edited April 2017
    Edit: nevermind, they still have a lengthy summer downtime.

Forar on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

The constant breaks don't help its ratings, though. People stop tuning into a show when it isn't on for a month...

Yeah, but every show is doing that nowadays. Look at the DC CW shows: Legends of Tomorrow had its season finale and the other two shows have been on hold for like a month.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Bleeeeh, I hate when plot blurbs are inadvertently spoilers.

Nevertheless, I guess some of you might want to know.

SPOILERS for upcoming episodes!
    No, seriously!
    If you prefer to be surprised by the trajectory of the rest of this season and the fate of our favorite agents within the framework, don't click these.

Ep. 4x19 (tonight), episode title:
    "All the Madame's Men"

Plot blurb:
    Daisy finds herself teamed up with an unlikely partner. Meanwhile, Aida prepares to put her ultimate end game into effect.

Ep 4x20, title:
    "Farewell, Cruel World!"

Plot blurb:
    Daisy and Simmons race against the clock to get the team out of the Framework, but not everyone is ready to leave.

Ep 4x21, title:
    "The Return"

Plot blurb, and you probably really don't want to click this one - I found it way too revealing:
    Coulson and the team's victory in the Framework is short-lived, revealing an even deadlier enemy looming against them all.

Ep 4x22, title:
    "World's End"

No plot blurb for this one yet, but let's hope it's not the show's end too...

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
    Upcoming ep spoilers
    Daisy's partner is Spider-man.
    In case this wasn't obvious, I'm joking! :)

I'm guessing that in 4x20,
    Fitz doesn't want to leave.

Obvious guess is obvious.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I'm guessing that in 4x20,
    Fitz doesn't want to leave.

Obvious guess is obvious.

What's intriguing is that we haven't seen AIDA use her powers in the Framework. I'd like to know why, she clearly had them while May was in the prototype.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    My guess is that in 4x20,
    they blaze it.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    What's intriguing is that we haven't seen AIDA use her powers in the Framework. I'd like to know why, she clearly had them while May was in the prototype.

I suspect that Framework AIDA
    has a human body.

The person described as having an aversion to things listed in spoilers above
    Mac will be the one that doesn't want to leave. He's got everything he wants there.

Shadowhope wrote: »

has a human body.
    If that's the case she's notoriously easy to defeat physically.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

has a human body.
    If that's the case she's notoriously easy to defeat physically.
    About as much as anyone else in Shield/Hydra. Plus the whole omniscience thing makes even getting close enough to try tricky.

H9f4bVe.png