As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    so I haven't played the game, but I've been exposed to a few major plot points and I've got a question
    so, humans are all extinct, right? then who set up YoRHa? and why maintain that humans are still alive on the moon? who are the androids fighting for
    Answering this essentially spoils all the major plot points of the game, so if you want me to explain it I can. But obviously you should play the game.
    nah, go ahead
    Alright, GIANT FUCKING SPOILERS EVERYONE
    In Nier there's a disease caused by the events of Drakengard. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but basically the disease threatened to wipe out humanity. To avoid extinction, scientists come up with a way to separate human souls from their bodies. Because the disease is actually an offer from the gods (you can probably understand why I'm not going into detail now), so all you really need to know is that without a soul the bodies cannot succumb to the disease. So the spirits (called gestalts) are separated from the bodies (replicants) and androids are put in charge of human towns to act as overseers of the project (the Devola and Popola models).

Nier happens. The project goes pear-shaped because replicants develop personalities and gestalts turn into evil-ish things called shades. Long story short, Nier the replicant kills Nier the gestalt. Unfortunately, gestalt Nier is a load-bearing soul or whatever, and without him the project goes to Hell. Humans are eventually wiped out by the disease, and androids are all that's left.

Androids blame the Devola and Popola mdoels for letting Project Gesalt fail, despite it being just ONE PAIR that cocked things up in Nier. They're programmed to feel guilt and apparently believe all other models of their kind are gone. Wherever they go, they are treated with hostility and violence. One pair, that you meet in Automata, tries to atone by setting up the human server on the moon. Among other things, it has the human genome. Or some DNA. Human goop. Whatever.

Aliens invade. They succeed in conquering Earth and go underground. Machine lifeforms are their main attackers, and eventually they rebel and kill the aliens. The network connecting the machines gains consciousness at some point, and we get a long as hell war between the two. At this point the war is some weird arms race to be human, using the war as stimulus to promote some weird-ass version of evolution. The network sees their connectivity as making them the superior human replacement, whereas androids see being creations of humanity as their claim to the throne.

However, neither side wants the other to know that the whole war is, you know, fucking pointless since the original sides are both dead. So thus at some point after YoRHa's creation, the lie of the council of humanity is made as a way of giving androids something to fight for. However, to keep one side from winning, both sides allow sabotaging. The network allows stuff like Pascal to ditch the network and make a village, and YoRHa was specifically designed to eventually fall to the enemy. In fact, YoRHa consciousness is made from MACHINE parts because androids found it unethical to give what they saw as "legit" consciousness to what were essentially suicide troops.

The game ends with the pods (the little robots that assist 2B and crew) breaking the cycle by going against orders and preserving YoRHa data. Specifically, the data of 2B (whom is actually an assassin, 2E), 9S (the newest unit type that eventually learns the Horrible Secret as natural part of its scouting job and thus has to be murdered over and over by 2E whenever he does), and A2 (one of the first YoRHa units that survived a mission she wasn't intended to survive and went rogue as a result). The revival of these three seriously fucks the whole situation over, as it means Androids at large will eventually learn the truth.

This does leave a ton of open questions. Who the fuck are the Androids overseeing EVERYTHING? Since androids clearly know that Devola and Popola fucked up Project Gestalt, how and when were the majority of Androids brainwiped or otherwise fooled into accepting the lie of humanity's extinction? And who is Adam's tailor?

YL9WnCY.png
    Rainfall21stCenturyJohnny ChopsockyCaulk Bite 6President Eviladmanb
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    ah cool, thanks

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    so I haven't played the game, but I've been exposed to a few major plot points and I've got a question
    so, humans are all extinct, right? then who set up YoRHa? and why maintain that humans are still alive on the moon? who are the androids fighting for
    Answering this essentially spoils all the major plot points of the game, so if you want me to explain it I can. But obviously you should play the game.
    nah, go ahead
    Alright, GIANT FUCKING SPOILERS EVERYONE
    In Nier there's a disease caused by the events of Drakengard. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but basically the disease threatened to wipe out humanity. To avoid extinction, scientists come up with a way to separate human souls from their bodies. Because the disease is actually an offer from the gods (you can probably understand why I'm not going into detail now), so all you really need to know is that without a soul the bodies cannot succumb to the disease. So the spirits (called gestalts) are separated from the bodies (replicants) and androids are put in charge of human towns to act as overseers of the project (the Devola and Popola models).

Nier happens. The project goes pear-shaped because replicants develop personalities and gestalts turn into evil-ish things called shades. Long story short, Nier the replicant kills Nier the gestalt. Unfortunately, gestalt Nier is a load-bearing soul or whatever, and without him the project goes to Hell. Humans are eventually wiped out by the disease, and androids are all that's left.

Androids blame the Devola and Popola mdoels for letting Project Gesalt fail, despite it being just ONE PAIR that cocked things up in Nier. They're programmed to feel guilt and apparently believe all other models of their kind are gone. Wherever they go, they are treated with hostility and violence. One pair, that you meet in Automata, tries to atone by setting up the human server on the moon. Among other things, it has the human genome. Or some DNA. Human goop. Whatever.

Aliens invade. They succeed in conquering Earth and go underground. Machine lifeforms are their main attackers, and eventually they rebel and kill the aliens. The network connecting the machines gains consciousness at some point, and we get a long as hell war between the two. At this point the war is some weird arms race to be human, using the war as stimulus to promote some weird-ass version of evolution. The network sees their connectivity as making them the superior human replacement, whereas androids see being creations of humanity as their claim to the throne.

However, neither side wants the other to know that the whole war is, you know, fucking pointless since the original sides are both dead. So thus at some point after YoRHa's creation, the lie of the council of humanity is made as a way of giving androids something to fight for. However, to keep one side from winning, both sides allow sabotaging. The network allows stuff like Pascal to ditch the network and make a village, and YoRHa was specifically designed to eventually fall to the enemy. In fact, YoRHa consciousness is made from MACHINE parts because androids found it unethical to give what they saw as "legit" consciousness to what were essentially suicide troops.

The game ends with the pods (the little robots that assist 2B and crew) breaking the cycle by going against orders and preserving YoRHa data. Specifically, the data of 2B (whom is actually an assassin, 2E), 9S (the newest unit type that eventually learns the Horrible Secret as natural part of its scouting job and thus has to be murdered over and over by 2E whenever he does), and A2 (one of the first YoRHa units that survived a mission she wasn't intended to survive and went rogue as a result). The revival of these three seriously fucks the whole situation over, as it means Androids at large will eventually learn the truth.

This does leave a ton of open questions. Who the fuck are the Androids overseeing EVERYTHING? Since androids clearly know that Devola and Popola fucked up Project Gestalt, how and when were the majority of Androids brainwiped or otherwise fooled into accepting the lie of humanity's extinction? And who is Adam's tailor?

CONTINUED MEGA SPOILERS FOR ENTIRE STORY
    Also Jackass learned everything and she's going to fuck some shit up over it

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    RainfallSpeed Racerel_vicio
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Question about Nier-Adjacent stuff.
    Does Drakengard 3's plot give any info on anything in NieR? Or is it, like Drakengard 2, completely disconnected?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Question about Nier-Adjacent stuff.
    Does Drakengard 3's plot give any info on anything in NieR? Or is it, like Drakengard 2, completely disconnected?
    There is a character reference to Drak 3, but nothing important.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    First couple hours of route C
    I called all the humans being dead.

No idea what is up with the ghost girls, saw one of them in the hanger too I think

Fighting all the EMP enemies and the virus YorHa were cool

Man, real bummed about 60 and 210, I liked them a lot.

The sequence of 2B getting infected really sucked because I fell and got stuck in the crater and couldn't get out so I just had to wait. I see what they were going for and I wish I could have done it without replaying it but it sucked.

2B :sad: that was so sad and I'm really looking forward to what's going to happen next with A2 getting her memories.

9S reverting to this angry, vengeance fueled dude after slowly learning how good robots are is really interesting. The him seeing A2 "kill" 2B is cliche but I still think it works.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Caulk Bite 6el_vicio
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

No idea what is up with the ghost girls, saw one of them in the hanger too I think

The sequence of 2B getting infected really sucked because I fell and got stuck in the crater and couldn't get out so I just had to wait. I see what they were going for and I wish I could have done it without replaying it but it sucked.

2B :sad: that was so sad and I'm really looking forward to what's going to happen next with A2 getting her memories.

9S reverting to this angry, vengeance fueled dude after slowly learning how good robots are is really interesting. The him seeing A2 "kill" 2B is cliche but I still think it works.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who fell in that damn crater

Kinda ruined that whole sequence

Ms DapperturtleantJohnny ChopsockyStiltsStericaOatsTcheldormxmarksIronKnuckle's GhostCaulk Bite 6Thorn413LalaboxYaYaAbsurdProposition
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who fell in that damn crater

Kinda ruined that whole sequence
    it took me three tries to do that segment. That fucking crater. :P

• AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I fell in the crater but managed to crawl out using the brief periods where 2B regained control of her jumping/running.

It was an exhausting experience that I came super close to failing, so I'm glad I didn't have to do it again.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    21stCenturyAshtonDragon
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    #IEscapedTheCrater

IronKnuckle's GhostNaphtaliSomestickguyThe BetgirlWybornSLyMOlivaw
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    so I just started playing, is there just the one map? will I be sent all around it and stuff?

ikbUJdU.jpg
    There is just one map but there a ton of nooks and crannies

2ohWien.png
    Caulk Bite 6Erin The RedOlivaw
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular

"Oh...! Nines!"

Caulk Bite 6
    Yukira wrote: »

"Oh...! Nines!"
    Fucking rip out my heart why don't you Yoko Taro.

2ohWien.png
    StiltsNecoYukiraAshtonDragonCaulk Bite 6NaphtaliThe BetgirlOlivaw

"Oh...! Nines!"

he's not done with it

StiltsJohnny ChopsockymxmarksYukiraAJROatssimulacrumMikey CTSCouscousCaulk Bite 6WeedLordVegetaSpeed RacerOlivaw
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Finished Route B last night...
    I did not expect future routes to start immediately after the ending of Route A & B

Also I'm at 75% quest completion so far, I assume there will be more quests in each route that are unique to them? I missed out on finishing the speed star quests again, but other than that I think I almost finished all the ones I could minus two or three of them

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I won't lie after finishing route b
    I was really hoping to play as 2b again or whoever the other lady on the cover is I assume she's playable

They even have that big old intro of 2b getting suited up for war and then NOPE you got me yoko

Excited to dig into route c though. This game is cool! It's a very cool game

mxmarks

"Oh...! Nines!"

he's not done with it

Not by a long shot.

Johnny Chopsocky
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Nier Automata did not hit me as hard as Nier Gestalt.

Schide
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Some miscellaneous assorted experiences.

Regarding "Speed Star":
    I laughed out loud after the resolution of the third race, because I completely called that he was going to explode. Nobody in this game pushes themselves to their limits without dying.

And then the flag-waving robot blew up too, and I howled because I hadn't called it.

Regarding "Machine Investigation":
    So, the Engels unit told me that it had developed an understanding of the concept of "sin", and wanted to terminate itself because it had destroyed so many lives. It then committed the robot version of suicide, and the music went quiet.

And as the text boxes for all this were scrolling past, Emil drove by, blasting his theme at triple normal tempo. BEPPETA-BEEP-A-DIP-DIP-NA-NAAAAAAAA wommmmmmmm~ And then silence again.

It was glorious.

Regarding Pascal:
    I walked away.

I wasn't going to kill him one way or the other, not physically and not mentally. I wish I could have said "you didn't do anything wrong; the world is simply cruel".

Ending E:
    I got taken by surprise thanks to the endings guide I was using implying that you would only get offered Ending E on the third play-through, instead of directly after finishing C and D. I feel like I stumbled through it-- I've been playing the game pretty much nonstop all week, which is a bad habit of mine because I tend to let concepts slip through my brain after hitting a kind of attention saturation point.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    President EvilSpeed Racer
    Started up Act C again and instantly got punched in the gut
    The village burning down and the sister robots bodies holding on to each other made me scream "NOOOOO"

2ohWien.png
    StiltsCaulk Bite 6YukiraThe BetgirlOlivaw
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    The village burning down and the sister robots bodies holding on to each other made me scream "NOOOOO"
    At least the children get out safely!

Rainfall wrote: »
    Fuck this

2ohWien.png
    StiltsCaulk Bite 6YukiramxmarksWeedLordVegetaSpeed RaceradmanbOlivawAbsurdProposition
    Fuck this
    That sequence is so mean.

Especially if you wipe Pascal's memories and head back to the village as 9S.

simulacrumStiltsYukiraJohnny ChopsockyYaYaOlivawel_vicio
    route C is the hardest

Fuck this

Yeah, I didn't know about this at first and i was a bit too heartbroken to try it on my first playthrough...... chilling.

Fuck this

I walked away and his asking how I could do this as the door closed killed me.

I could only imagine what wiping his memory would do.

2ohWien.png
    Fuck this

Shpoilers
    Pascal returns to his village as a merchant selling Machine Arms, Machine Legs,
    the Machine Heads fist weapon and one other item that has no use
    The Children's Cores.

Fuck this

Shpoilers
    The Children's Cores.
    AWWWW FUCK THIS

2ohWien.png
    RainfallsimulacrumCaulk Bite 6YukiraJohnny ChopsockyDelzhandWeedLordVegetaSpeed RacerThe BetgirlMegaMekYaYaOlivawAbsurdProposition
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Fuck this

Shpoilers
    The Children's Cores.

Route C
    He also refers to the stuff he sells as "junk"

simulacrum on
    21stCenturyRainfallWeedLordVegeta
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I just want to thank everyone for being considerate with their spoiler tags, I appreciate it a lot

BahamutZERO.gif
    Vann DirasLockedOnTarget
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    AJR wrote: »
    I fell in the crater but managed to crawl out using the brief periods where 2B regained control of her jumping/running.

It was an exhausting experience that I came super close to failing, so I'm glad I didn't have to do it again.
    I mean, if you want all the endings, you're going to have to do it again.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I don't.

I got the main endings. I'm all good.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Caulk Bite 6WeedLordVegeta
    I finished it. Ending E
    I actually shouted "THIS FUCKING RULES" as all the people's messages came up at the end.

Them showing you losing all your data was so fucking effective, especially in a game where losing and regaining memories means so much.

Gonna talk and think about this more but for now bed!

2ohWien.png
    Indie WinterStiltsCaulk Bite 6YukiramasterofmetroidOatsRainfallsimulacrumThe BetgirlOlivaw
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I finished it. Ending E
    I actually shouted "THIS FUCKING RULES" as all the people's messages came up at the end.

Them showing you losing all your data was so fucking effective, especially in a game where losing and regaining memories means so much.

Gonna talk and think about this more but for now bed!

Wooo!

Now we can podcast about it!

IKknkhU.gif
    Ms DapperAJRCaulk Bite 6YukiramxmarksRainfall
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Beginning of route C/D
    If you hack all the machine air defense enemies, 21O tells you she's really proud of you and will leave something special in her quarters for you.

I was unsure what that meant, as she is definitely trying to mother 9S, but it's s bunch of high level chips she leaves on her bed. So that's amusing (and later quite sad).

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Beginning of route C/D
    If you hack all the machine air defense enemies, 21O tells you she's really proud of you and will leave something special in her quarters for you.

I was unsure what that meant, as she is definitely trying to mother 9S, but it's s bunch of high level chips she leaves on her bed. So that's amusing (and later quite sad).
    Aaaaaaaalso signs of her being infected by the machine virus.

Caulk Bite 6OatsRainfallWeedLordVegetaSpeed Racer
    Beginning of route C/D

Aaaaaaaalso signs of her being infected by the machine virus.
    I mean, yeah. But it was kind of cute, too?

I'm sad we don't get to see where that might have gone, what with her wanting to start a family.

jnij103vqi2i.png