As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    One of these things is not like the others
    You never see it COMIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I finished ending E

That took a shocking emotional toll on me

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    i was super not all about the ambiance of the theme park when i first got there because it was too spooky!

but then i found my friend, robot constantly taking a break

The music made me love it immediately

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    I finished ending E

did you do the thing

YaYa wrote: »
    I finished ending E

did you do the thing

I did not do the thing because I have many more things I want to do right now.

Once I realized I only got through because other people did the thing, I got pretty choked up.

After I mop up the remaining quests and endings, Im going to go back and do the thing, though.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I finished ending E

did you do the thing

Once I realized I only got through because other people did the thing, I got pretty choked up.

After I mop up the remaining quests and endings, Im going to go back and do the thing, though.

*stern, disapproving stare*

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    it's ok to do the thing in your own time

the thing is a very important thing, and I wouldn't want to take the decision to do the thing away from anyone

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I feel like any kind of social disapproval for failing to do the thing robs the thing of its value. The power of the thing is its selfless nature, and adding a punishment for failing to do it removes a lot of its power.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    SLyM wrote: »
    I feel like any kind of social disapproval for failing to do the thing robs the thing of its value. The power of the thing is its selfless nature, and adding a punishment for failing to do it removes a lot of its power.

I think a little social disapproval is fine

But I also think it being a real choice is why it works at all

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It quickly devolved into another "pay me for doing the thing" scenario, with the demands.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I finished ending E

did you do the thing

For what it's worth, this is functionally not true. It's a lie.

The game shipped with data inserted into the database to supply players with "help" in the ending (dev / tester accounts or just some junk test data). We know this because reviewers with advance copies had no issues, there was no big discussion about how to beat it solo from players at the very beginning to create the "initial" set, etc.

Basically, deleting your save just adds your name to the list of already existing names and messages for the game to pull from. It doesn't allow anyone to beat the game who couldn't have already beat the game, since the game would have just pulled from the list of people that were already there. If no one ever deleted their save, everyone could still get Ending E just from recycling the initial data set.

It's an illusion, and a rather mean-spirited one since it tricks people into deleting their progress for the false notion that they're helping someone. For people who are really done with the game that's fine, no harm done; it's a neat way to add your name and a custom message to a giant wall of signatures of people who completed it, for instance. But for those who would have liked to see the rest of the content, but accepted the deletion in a moment of emotional vulnerability, and don't really want to play through the game again? It's kind of meh.

It's just a dumb game, so it's not like the consequences are meaningful. But I have a lot of personal distaste for how the game has tricked so many people into thinking they did a noble thing that helped some stranger. That's something people should actually do, and being tricked into it (and realizing later it was fake) is the kind of thing that makes people cynics. Especially since the only actual, practical effect of the deletion is the vanity of maybe inserting your name into someone else's game (increasingly unlikely to actually happen the longer this runs due to larger database of player names to randomly select from and smaller number of people beating it, though the selection process might bias toward recent additions).

This is the only post I'll make again on this topic given the dogpile I got last time for even suggesting that this was a thing.

To be fair, it's a nice enough thing to know that people were willing to make a sacrifice to help other people.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    fWa7JTX.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I finished ending E

did you do the thing

The game shipped with data inserted into the database to supply players with "help" in the ending (dev / tester accounts or just some junk test data). We know this because reviewers with advance copies had no issues, there was no big discussion about how to beat it solo from players at the very beginning to create the "initial" set, etc.

Basically, deleting your save just adds your name to the list of already existing names and messages for the game to pull from. It doesn't allow anyone to beat the game who couldn't have already beat the game, since the game would have just pulled from the list of people that were already there. If no one ever deleted their save, everyone could still get Ending E just from recycling the initial data set.

It's an illusion, and a rather mean-spirited one since it tricks people into deleting their progress for the false notion that they're helping someone. For people who are really done with the game that's fine, no harm done; it's a neat way to add your name and a custom message to a giant wall of signatures of people who completed it, for instance. But for those who would have liked to see the rest of the content, but accepted the deletion in a moment of emotional vulnerability, and don't really want to play through the game again? It's kind of meh.

It's just a dumb game, so it's not like the consequences are meaningful. But I have a lot of personal distaste for how the game has tricked so many people into thinking they did a noble thing that helped some stranger. That's something people should actually do, and being tricked into it (and realizing later it was fake) is the kind of thing that makes people cynics. Especially since the only actual, practical effect of the deletion is the vanity of maybe inserting your name into someone else's game (increasingly unlikely to actually happen the longer this runs due to larger database of player names to randomly select from and smaller number of people beating it, though the selection process might bias toward recent additions).

This is the only post I'll make again on this topic given the dogpile I got last time for even suggesting that this was a thing.

To be fair, it's a nice enough thing to know that people were willing to make a sacrifice to help other people.
    ... did you just write hundreds of words on what is essentially a "Pro Wrestling is FAAAAAAAAAAAAKE" post?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I just don't see how it's mean spirited at all.
    I mean, you always have the option to hold off doing it and finishing off all the side content first. And you can tell from the sheer number of names that pop up to help you that it's obviously just a trick to emotionally invest you in the decision.

But it's a fucking cool trick, and it makes for a cool moment. I felt the same way when I did it in the first Nier. And that game didn't even have the hook of "deleting your save will help other players". I just did it to get the good ending.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    All video games are fake.

liEt3nH.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    AJR wrote: »
    I just don't see how it's mean spirited at all.
    I mean, you always have the option to hold off doing it and finishing off all the side content first. And you can tell from the sheer number of names that pop up to help you that it's obviously just a trick to emotionally invest you in the decision.

But it's a fucking cool trick, and it makes for a cool moment. I felt the same way when I did it in the first Nier. And that game didn't even have the hook of "deleting your save will help other players". I just did it to get the good ending.
    The good ending is the people we helped along the way.
    And I'm not saying that as a joke. That is what this game is.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Also
    There's something oddly morbid and dark but fitting, about the fact that you realize in the end it's a war that has been spun out of false hope on all sides - Humanity is gone, no one is on the moon, and a fake set of human voices spewing out fake reports to make the androids feel like they're doing good and fighting for something.
    All the hard work is helping humanity.

And they themselves built a back door into the station, so that eventually they could infect and wipe out any of them that know of this plan, so it will always be a secret.

And here we are in the end - adding our data, our time, our sacrifices, to the pile of of others who've done the same,
    so that we may 'help' others...who initially, somewhere along the line and probably ages before we ever knew of Automata's ending - who made the same sacrifice based on a being told that out there, on the moon if you will,
    THIS person really cared about them...so won't you add your body to the pile?

I mean, PERSONALLY I dont find it nearly this morbid but I do think the parallel is a little bit dark and has to be somewhat intentional.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I finished ending E

did you do the thing

Cool, thanks for shitting in the punch bowl. I'm very glad you had this opportunity to feel superiorly informed.

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    They actually check the thread to see if anyone else has beaten the game recently. They took the trouble of PMing me to tell all of that not long after I beat it.

ZD98Zka.png
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    They actually check the thread to see if anyone else has beaten the game recently. They took the trouble of PMing me to tell all of that not long after I beat it.

well that just spun it around to creepy

liEt3nH.png
    Ashcroft wrote: »

What the fuck.

Yeah that's when I started reading the thread again.

FWIW I'm terribly sorry about the PM. I didn't intend it the way it came across. I wanted to start a conversation about it without risking another firing circle, but... yeah, it didn't work out that way.

I agree it was creepy and bad. It won't happen again.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think that was a jolly nice apology.

Thank you for that, User The Sauce

On to something much more appropriate for the topic, buried in a large piece from Polygon, Yoko Taro said more very Yoko Taro things in an interview:
    “If we’re going to get serious for a second, Nier: Automata and Sinoalice — I put those both out and they were huge hits,” he says. “But I’m not really confident my next games are going to be hits. I feel like I’m probably going to make nothing but failures for the next two to five years. So what I want to do right now is take as many jobs as I can to make as much money as I can, and then my reputation can just slowly decline after that. […]

”I’m actually pretty serious about this. I don’t think popularity lasts forever. So you’ve really got to make as much money as you can, while you can.”
    Then at GDC, he suggested that this is what he actually wants to happen:
    “I don’t think that’s what the goal should be,” he says. “I kind of want to continue to fail, because it’s easier for me to think of what I want to do next. Whereas if I succeed I might have to follow that path.”

Seems like the sort of mindset a lot of my creative-career friends / acquaintances go through. Incidentally they, and others who go through that, end up producing some of the best art - be it music, visual, written, etc.

I was talking about Nier with my roomie, which lead to talking about (what little I know of) Yoko Taro. I Googled him to show her how he's always got that helmet on, but what also came up were these article titles from yesterday:

"Writing when drunk and turning in your script months late: A Nier: Automata interview"

"Nier: Automata Was Almost Canceled Because Yoko Taro Hates Waking Up Early"

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yoko Taro continues to be a tremendous inspiration for me as an artist

I too hate waking up early

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    tumblr_m8vgdk8woA1qkv3fno1_500.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is that Hideaki Anno?

It indeed is, from this delightful documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0qbJAQhgk

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Route C starts as a hell of a thing and doesn't really stop.

Although I almost gave up on that fucking sphere boss.

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    all of the x-shi boss battles are just this

UgJJjPP.gif

EzUAYcn.png
    I absolutely adore Route C's bosses as an aggregate. The last major one in particular is a highlight even in a post Souls world.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

How could someone like this actually exist?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    Throwing some tweet content behind a spoiler tag because it is a spoiler.
    "Why were there no romantic scenes in the game?" Yoko Taro: "There is a scene where 9S and A2 are stabbing each other."
    Also,
    The idea of having a choir in NieR: Automata's Ending E was Yoko Taro's idea. Okabe had a disgruntled expression because Weight of the World was already made and he didn't think a classical-style choir over it would fit.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Route B
    "mankind no longer exists."

I am shocked and did not see this coming, definitely not, nope