As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm on route C! this is very different than I expected!

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Caulk Bite 6YukiraMidniteJohnny ChopsockyRainfallAshtonDragonNaphtaliIronKnuckle's GhostWeedLordVegeta
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    I'm on route C! this is very different than I expected!

things escalated quickly

I mean they really got out of hand

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    YukiraMidniteturtleantJohnny ChopsockyRainfallCaulk Bite 6mxmarksMs DapperAJRWeedLordVegetaYaYaMikey CTSOlivaw
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    i just picked this up.

Platinum really nailed the post-apocalypse feel, and the gameplay is pretty fun! just getting to the desert area now.

edit: i know i'm early on, but i'm calling it now
    humans died out long ago, the only ones actually left are the androids and the machines.

can't wait to find out if i'm right :rotate:

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    MidniteCaulk Bite 6Johnny ChopsockymxmarksRainfallNaphtaliWeedLordVegetaThe Betgirl
    hmm, question on the Amusement Park
    when you defeat Beauvoir, a machine core seems to drop during the cutscene, but after the cutscene, it's gone. is this a glitch?

ffNewSig.png
    when you defeat Beauvoir, a machine core seems to drop during the cutscene, but after the cutscene, it's gone. is this a glitch?

probably. if you really want one now
    destroy the poor party tank you pass by on the way to the rollercoaster entrance

Caulk Bite 6fightinfilipino
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

destroy the poor party tank you pass by on the way to the rollercoaster entrance

But really
    it's not a unique thing. You'll get more as you go

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Naphtalifightinfilipino

But really
    that one machine at the stairs right before the tank said i should take out the tank, so i did.

then again, i totally waled on all of the machines starting from the entrance until i realized they weren't all fighting back. this might bite me in the ass later huh? :P

ffNewSig.png

But really
    that one machine at the stairs right before the tank said i should take out the tank, so i did.

then again, i totally waled on all of the machines starting from the entrance until i realized they weren't all fighting back. this might bite me in the ass later huh? :P

9S must have been very proud of you

fightinfilipinoRainfallCaulk Bite 6KetBra
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

But really

Well, about that
    [comment redacted]

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Just picked this up, because I'm done with Breath of the Wild and was really super in the mood for something with a more curated style of story and character progression, and a combat system I wouldn't get bored with almost immediately, and all y'all's chatter about Nier seems to suggest a good fit for my wants.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    RainfallDr. Flamingofightinfilipinojonny439Erin The Red
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Join us as we become as gods

MidnitemxmarksYukiraJohnny ChopsockyCaulk Bite 6RainfallKetBraErin The RedOlivaw
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    So I saw the DLC was available but the $14 price tag scared me away. Seems a lot for some costumes and a boss arena.

Cormacel_vicio
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Yeah, for me $14 is too much for what's in the DLC. I can see myself buying it at a 50% sale, but a few boss fights and costumes I wont actually use it's too expensive.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    lots of random questions & observations (full game spoilers obviously)
    I heard Emil is a secret boss, did that have something to do with all the giant Emil heads in the desert?

Where was the pod in the Flooded City that one of the vendors talked about, I assume you had to fish it out somewhere?

Did you ever get access to the locked doors with the prostrated robots in front of them in the desert and behind the building in the flooded city?

Is there a concrete timeline on exactly when the machines killed the aliens? I had the feeling it was long ago, but after discussing stuff with Yukira I guess it could have been done by Adam &
    Eve, but I felt like the game's themes worked better with the proxies of both dead races wasting millennias fighting each other pointlessly.

I still don't completely understand the need to destroy YoRHa to hide the fact about the fake human colony on the moon; considering the only ones that knew about it were the Commander (and eventually troublesome scanner units) and the Androids on the moon, who I guess probably are the ones who made YoRHa? I assumed the machine intelligences discovered the plans when they breached the servers and just executed them to further their agendas, but after figuring it out there was no humans on the moon they were all f-this we're leaving this shithole of a planet. Or maybe the point of the machines nuking YoRHa was for them to collect the memories/archives of the machine-cored YoRHa androids forcefully since they were basically kin after a fashion for their space arc... I kind of like to imagine that on Ending D, 9S would have found 2B in there somewhere if he chose to go with them, and maybe all of the other villagers from Pascal's town as well.

okay, answers!
    No, he lives deep underground. I never noticed emil heads in the desert, tho!

Yeah, gotta fish it out.

Locked doors are DLC. just got announced.

I don't think there's a concrete timeline, no. Sounds like it's been a long time, tho.

I'm not sure either, but your theory makes sense.
    Regarding the moon base, I think it works like this:

Humanity is extinct. That's a problem for the androids, because they were created to defend humanity, and historical records (what few exist) indicate that when the androids learn that what they're fighting for doesn't even exist, they become suicidal. And no matter how far you go to conceal the fact of humanity's extinction, someone, somewhere, could find out. That's why YoRHa has its "backdoor protocol": if humanity's extinction ever becomes common knowledge, YoRHa self-destructs, and the moon colony rebuilds it from scratch with new Bunkers. This has already happened multiple time, and happened without collaboration with the machine lifeforms.

What's new this time is that the machine lifeforms discovered the backdoor.

But really

So far as I know, those machines are the only ones that naturally drop EXP Gain Up and Drop Rate Up chips, which is nice if you want to have better growth rates without sacrificing half your Plug-In Chip capacity.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Kupi wrote: »
    lots of random questions & observations (full game spoilers obviously)
    I heard Emil is a secret boss, did that have something to do with all the giant Emil heads in the desert?

Where was the pod in the Flooded City that one of the vendors talked about, I assume you had to fish it out somewhere?

Did you ever get access to the locked doors with the prostrated robots in front of them in the desert and behind the building in the flooded city?

Is there a concrete timeline on exactly when the machines killed the aliens? I had the feeling it was long ago, but after discussing stuff with Yukira I guess it could have been done by Adam &
    Eve, but I felt like the game's themes worked better with the proxies of both dead races wasting millennias fighting each other pointlessly.

I still don't completely understand the need to destroy YoRHa to hide the fact about the fake human colony on the moon; considering the only ones that knew about it were the Commander (and eventually troublesome scanner units) and the Androids on the moon, who I guess probably are the ones who made YoRHa? I assumed the machine intelligences discovered the plans when they breached the servers and just executed them to further their agendas, but after figuring it out there was no humans on the moon they were all f-this we're leaving this shithole of a planet. Or maybe the point of the machines nuking YoRHa was for them to collect the memories/archives of the machine-cored YoRHa androids forcefully since they were basically kin after a fashion for their space arc... I kind of like to imagine that on Ending D, 9S would have found 2B in there somewhere if he chose to go with them, and maybe all of the other villagers from Pascal's town as well.

okay, answers!
    No, he lives deep underground. I never noticed emil heads in the desert, tho!

Yeah, gotta fish it out.

Locked doors are DLC. just got announced.

I don't think there's a concrete timeline, no. Sounds like it's been a long time, tho.

I'm not sure either, but your theory makes sense.
    Regarding the moon base, I think it works like this:

Humanity is extinct. That's a problem for the androids, because they were created to defend humanity, and historical records (what few exist) indicate that when the androids learn that what they're fighting for doesn't even exist, they become suicidal. And no matter how far you go to conceal the fact of humanity's extinction, someone, somewhere, could find out. That's why YoRHa has its "backdoor protocol": if humanity's extinction ever becomes common knowledge, YoRHa self-destructs, and the moon colony rebuilds it from scratch with new Bunkers. This has already happened multiple time, and happened without collaboration with the machine lifeforms.

What's new this time is that the machine lifeforms discovered the backdoor.

But really

So far as I know, those machines are the only ones that naturally drop EXP Gain Up and Drop Rate Up chips, which is nice if you want to have better growth rates without sacrificing half your Plug-In Chip capacity.

I don't think that's quite right but I could be wrong (pertaining to top spoiler):
    Machines have always known about the backdoor and just never cared, it helps them evolve to keep using androids to fight against.

The moon thing with humanity was to keep giving androids a purpose, and I took it that even the Commander and the other high ranking androids didn't care about the backdoor because the eventual plan was when androids started to realize humanity was extinct, they'd let the machines in through the backdoor, killing the base - and then the androids new cause becomes "We must kill these machines because they cut us off from speaking with humanity!"

basically, androids gods are dead, so they must

become as gods.

but the whole thing was a giant play on each other because:

androids left the back door there thinking when they activate it the machines will seize it and destroy the base, helping them cover up humanity's extinction.

and

machines have always known about the back door, and have always known humanity is dead, they just never cared or exploited it because it helps them evolve to keep androids interested and fighting

The reason the machines finally went in and blew it up was because 2B and 9S had destroyed Adam and Eve, and the machines basically were like - ok we're done here, get the tower up and launch into space because this place has outlived its usefulness now.

Also Yoko Taro just did a huge Q&A that got translated and its got some good stuff in it. Let me find a link.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited May 2017
    Kupi wrote: »

But really

wait what?

But

But... They're peaceful.

Yoko Taro, why?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    NaphtaliIronKnuckle's GhostPresident EvilYukiraTasteticleCaulk Bite 6CouscousNecoSchideOlivaw
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    s@#t square enix

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Is there any particular reason that the yorha field units wear blindfolds, but operators and the commander do not? Or is it more of a symbolism thing?

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason that the yorha field units wear blindfolds, but operators and the commander do not? Or is it more of a symbolism thing?

The blindfolds are actually technogoggles I guess, but the real reason is for symbolism, 100%.

Also a couple months back I played through Nier for the first time and now I've played through Automata. That is a very concentrated dose of Nier and I don't know what to do with myself now.

Also a couple months back I played through Nier for the first time and now I've played through Automata. That is a very concentrated dose of Nier and I don't know what to do with myself now.

Don't let the existential dread set in

edited May 2017

Don't let the existential dread set in

Oh it's always been there. These games let it have some fun, at least. That guy rarely ever smiles.

Tasteticle on

edited May 2017
    Aside from a bunch of stuff these threads have already mentioned,there was a particular line in one of the sidequests that stuck with me (Route A sidequest spoilers)
    it was the sidequest where a boy had run away from his mom in Pascal's Village, and you're tasked with finding him. When you bring him back the mother thanks you and notes that since they are no longer networked, they are constantly misunderstanding eachother, and it is very frustrating.

I thought that idea was very neat. If you're always inside the minds of others, intent is never an issue. Without practice, trying to convey meaning simply with words would be a monumental task.

Just a neat take on something I never really considered before.

Tasteticle on

Mikey CTSIronKnuckle's GhostTransporterYukiraNaphtalimxmarksBahamutZEROAndy JoeWeedLordVegetaErin The RedOlivawel_vicio
    Cormac wrote: »
    Yeah, for me $14 is too much for what's in the DLC. I can see myself buying it at a 50% sale, but a few boss fights and costumes I wont actually use it's too expensive.

it's slightly cheaper over at Green Man Gaming (like, $11.47) if that does anything for you.

ffNewSig.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Oh my god they are adorable

Edit: Weird twitch inlines but also....doesnt??

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    put it in URL tags and it should post as a URL correctly
    twitch embedding was a thing for a little while and then they decided it was obnoxious and disabled it, but left some of the embedding code active. So if you put the twitch URL without explicit URL bbcode tags it tries to treat it as an embedded twitch player thing, but the actual player code is gone, so you just get a blank space the size the player would have been.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Man why cant I boy a toy of the nier robots

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Caulk Bite 6MidnitemxmarksOlivaw
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I asked for this game for my birthday.

I am excited.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    This is on sale on the ps store for like 20% off or 30 if you have plus

RainfallErin The Red
    Something I noticed with the benefit of retrospect during my hard-mode second playthrough:
    There's a sidequest "line" where two data terminals go down due to machine jamming mysteriously. Despite having access to the terminals, the machines don't seem to have actually damaged them. Everyone is confused but thanks you for helping get them back online.

I think that's where the machines set themselves up in the Bunker using the backdoor. YoRHa got owned pretty early on.

mxmarksPeas
    Man why cant I boy a toy of the nier robots

best typo?

ffNewSig.png
    ph blakeAJRCaulk Bite 6
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oh you can definitely boy toy the nier robots

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    RainfallCaulk Bite 6Speed Racer
    edited May 2017
    KetBra wrote: »
    Oh you can definitely boy toy the nier robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w1mq6rAfMM

?

Tasteticle on

(To be safe I listened to that entire song before posting it because well....wrestling)

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I finished my second play-through (on Hard!) yesterday, and man... Ending E really went over my head the first time. It means a lot more now that I actually understand what that whole abstraction meant.

Incidentally, during that sequence:
    Pod 042 makes reference to the "connection we six formed". I'm guessing that the six he's referring to are 2B, 9S, A2, Pod 042, Pod 153, and... the player?

OatsRainfallMidniteSpeed RacerOlivaw