As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warcraft 3] Patch 1.32.3 no desyncs (maybe) no ladder (definitely)

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    I think the maps I missed the most were those LOTR Maps and the Vampire Ones. The LOTR Maps I just remember were really fun, especially playing as Gondor fighting off Mordor at Osgilliath or running around the maps trying to find the hidden secrets. Vampire Maps were also fun just running around as a Dreadlord corrupting villages as Paladins ran around trying to kill you.

Oh man yeah the Vampire ones were really good, you picked a vampire and went around at night killing villagers and getting levels and trying to avoid all the heroes and the city watch. Was great fun.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    OMG the vampire ones were so much fun!
    There was a darwin's island one that was great too. Have to eat critters to evolve and stop the other players from getting to max evolution before you.
    Also a mario party esque tower defense where you played minigames after every wave.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Enfo's team survival was my jam back in the day. Two teams facing endless waves of increasingly stronger enemies, and constantly fucking with each other to try and make them lose. It actually got ported over to dota 2, though I haven't looked at it in a while.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    OMG the vampire ones were so much fun!
    There was a darwin's island one that was great too. Have to eat critters to evolve and stop the other players from getting to max evolution before you.
    Also a mario party esque tower defense where you played minigames after every wave.

Uther party I don't think had a tower defense component. But there were like 900 versions so who knows.

I always liked the night of the dead map. I never saw anyone win, and I'm not sure it's possible but it was cool.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Uther Party was great. Man there are so many maps that seem impossible to find, right now I'm trying to track down one that had two teams and you'd pick a demon lord to play as which would determine what kind of "demons" you would automatically spawn with different advantages (so like the Quillboar demon lord guy would have Quillboar troops and the harpy demon lord would have the owlbears, etc.) but I cannot for the life of me remember the exact name and it was always fairly obscure.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Uther Party was great. Man there are so many maps that seem impossible to find, right now I'm trying to track down one that had two teams and you'd pick a demon lord to play as which would determine what kind of "demons" you would automatically spawn with different advantages (so like the Quillboar demon lord guy would have Quillboar troops and the harpy demon lord would have the owlbears, etc.) but I cannot for the life of me remember the exact name and it was always fairly obscure.

Possibly a wintermaul variant. The wintermaul tower defenses generally sported custom troops to each commander/general so it could have been a derivative of that

Also were those vampire maps actually werewolf ones? I remember both existing but I dunno if they were the same sort of game

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It does, they are porting the quirks over. It's still the SC2 engine, it was confirmed somewhere or other...but Blizzard has access to parts of the engine modders don't, so they can reintroduce some of those "quirks" (like only being able to select 12 units at a time).
    I believe shit like pathing is a frequent criticism of the SC2 engine.

Specifically because it's better. Starcraft 1's pathing was shit in some kind of special way and moving some units like the Dragoon was more like herding them due to engine limitations. Brood War players like that way better. No, I don't get it either.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Wintermaul is a TD map right? No this was more like Footmen, though not quite the same. Each team started on one side of sort of hell river with the other team on the other side, you'd all pick your demon lords and start spawning troops that had upgrades unique to that Lords troops and then start trying to kill the other team.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Wintermaul is a TD map right? No this was more like Footmen, though not quite the same. Each team started on one side of sort of hell river with the other team on the other side, you'd all pick your demon lords and start spawning troops that had upgrades unique to that Lords troops and then start trying to kill the other team.

yeah it was tower defense. there were those footman maps as well but none sound like what you are describing unfortunately.

also back2warcraft is live if anyone wants to check out some competitive warcraft 3: twitch.tv/back2warcraft

not sure what event they are casting as there is no gera cup today...apparently it's tomorrow? this has happened before but i don't remember when. i presume because of the holiday but i dunno for sure.

edit: apparently it is a replay cast, but who cares still fun

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I played WC3 more then any another Blizzard game. It's a wonderful game in so many ways but I ultimately decided that as an RTS it was kind of fundamentally broken. If you watch high level games you can see that it becomes a game about avoiding your opponent until you are ready to engage and losing heroes or even units can tank a match for you.

Would love a widescreen remaster but Brood War, or Starcraft 2, weren't better RTS games.

Personally I'd love to see a WC4 which embraced the experimental approach they took in WC3. Starcraft can be their esport series and Warcraft can be their, let's try some weird shit, series.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in getting a PA Warcraft 3 night going one of these weekends?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular

That sounds a bit like castle fight to me, which I played pretty late into my WC3 career so it might have been an earlier ancestor to that. In castle fight it was basically 2 lane dota except you didn't play a hero, you built buildings that spawned the mooks that ran towards then enemy castle and fought, and you had to balance attack types against armor and flyers against ranged and support mooks with frontline mooks and was surprisingly deep

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Wintermaul had two variants. You had the first version which was 3 Lanes. Mob's spawn and try to get to the very end. This variant later changed to having mobs spawn in the middle as well because people got really creative with their mazes causing other players to basically be wasted slots. You also had Wintermaul Wars which was mobs spawn by the other team and try to make it to your castle. Both were great maps and spawned lots of variants.

• Options
    I played WC3 more then any another Blizzard game. It's a wonderful game in so many ways but I ultimately decided that as an RTS it was kind of fundamentally broken. If you watch high level games you can see that it becomes a game about avoiding your opponent until you are ready to engage and losing heroes or even units can tank a match for you.

Would love a widescreen remaster but Brood War, or Starcraft 2, weren't better RTS games.

Personally I'd love to see a WC4 which embraced the experimental approach they took in WC3. Starcraft can be their esport series and Warcraft can be their, let's try some weird shit, series.

That can be said of a lot of games. I am not sure what time frame you are talking about, but as of today there aren't any super passive matchups. Yes you want to creep and PvE when possible. However ignoring your opponent is not a good strategy. There are plenty of timings that are relevant based on map, matchup, and also player skill (how well can you micro).

Depending on the race heroes are more or.less important and yes losing your hero to an early gank makes it an uphill battle, or losing them in a late fight would turn a game on its head, but shouldn't that be the case?

I certainly understand if that isn't something people would enjoy. I look at it this way, in SC2 securing and denying expansions is very important. It is no different than creeping specific spots in WC3. Hitting specific timings based on upgrades is an important skill in sc2, comparatively you want to be checking for expansions, or denying tech or tanking creep routes depending on a number of factors.

To bring it back to the quote, avoiding fights when you shouldn't take them and forcing fights when you should is kind of the entire point of many kinds of games.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I wish I had played WC3 online more back in the day. It was a lot more my speed than Starcraft but I only ever dabbled in playing against real people.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I wish I had played WC3 online more back in the day. It was a lot more my speed than Starcraft but I only ever dabbled in playing against real people.

I still play regularly, but I'm pretty bad. I keep meaning to try 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 again but I always default to 1v1.

I also want to try other servers other than us east since the connections aren't what they were in 2003.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    No mentions of Warchasers? That's sad--man, did I love Warchasers. Completely independent of my love of the narrative foundation of the Warcraft RTS, all that ridiculous but entertaining Metzen stuff.

Of course, that was back when people didn't think Diablo III was necessarily going to happen, and it wasn't without its flaws, but it was absolutely a fantastic time if you could get 3 to 6 people for in-room co-op on their laptops.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'll be buying TFT with a gift card I got for my bday so if anyone decides to start playing I am down, be it fun arcade games or try hard 1v1ing

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I haven't played in years, but if we get a group of people here playing I am so down

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    battle.net has some pretty wide variance in skill level for 1v1. sometimes you'll get people that will blow you out and other times i've played and i think my opponent is solely playing with a mouse.

however when you have a tense game and you manage to out micro someone in a crucial battle...feelsGood

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Tides of Blood was much better then DOTA.

There I said it, and it felt good.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Oh man yeah I forgot Wintermaul. If you were in a party of randos it was always an argument who got sent all your wood so they could build the laser.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    I just realized that Warcraft 3 is indirectly responsible (through lol) for f2p games and microtransactions

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I really loved the one map where the guy basically hacked a custom map enough that you were playing a really primitive version of WoW, except all the heroes were basic warcraft 3 units with interesting abilities.

and there were like bosses and stuff and it was sort of first person?

man it was awesome

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    I just realized that Warcraft 3 is indirectly responsible (through lol) for f2p games and microtransactions

I am unconvinced F2P and microtransactions wouldn't exist without LoL. I'm not super convinced they didn't exist before LoL, but not willing to check that :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    oh... great memories of being so bad at a game that I devolved into learning and nearly exclusively performing the "gruntapult"

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I went from playing 2v2 ATs with my college hallmate to full on dota and basically never looked back. but for a while there i really enjoyed war3 multi; and of course the singleplayer was great. Blizzard cinematics always blew your face off back then.

customs I also liked: TKOK was maybe the most in depth RPG in war3, hero builders were always good, and the zombie/survival mode games (forget the name)

oh and game that launched 1000 games is right. Without war3 there's: no DotA, LoL or anything in the MOBA genre; no tower defense games; no hearthstone?? (maybe?) Pretty damn influential.

valiance on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    If warcraft 3 flopped, wow probably never would have been made either, which kind of made mmos more mainstream. Also, the naga campaign is probably my favorite rts campaign ever. too bad murlocs and naga arent playable in wow :(

I cant say i ever got hooked by the multiplayer in wc3, but i did play a lot of dota at lan parties in high school, and loved the campaigns. Its too bad there arent any more rts games with good stories, or really even a lot of rts games period.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    valiance wrote: »
    oh and game that launched 1000 games is right. Without war3 there's: no DotA, LoL or anything in the MOBA genre; no tower defense games; no hearthstone?? (maybe?) Pretty damn influential.

I had this whole Helen of Troy allusion in my early drafts of the OP. Launching 1000 games, how it was so beautiful to behold, etc

But the forums/my phone ate 3 or 4 tries and I left it as is.

A less meta contribution to the thread: went 0-2 last night UD vs NE and UD vs HU. I made some minor micro mistakes against the night elf but overall I think the guy was better. I didn't have a good creep route in mind and when he pushed me into my base I probably should've just amassed a bigger army. Instead I thought he left to creep some stuff on the other side of the map. He didn't and due to faerie fire on me, he knew I moved out and it was all over.

I intentionally took the risk and I don't know if it was appropriate. It obviously didn't work but I don't know if it is the right play anyway. If he was too far away I could creep the camp, generate some gold and get my heroes to close the XP gap. Instead he got a further lead and I'd need to have godly micro to beat him as he just rallied stuff across the map and I had no way to gain xp without fighting at that point.

In retrospect I'm not sure if the correct t play for him was to camp me as he did. It clearly worked but should he expect that I'd try something risky like that? I dunno. Gotta play more games.

The second game I just didn't scout well enough. I was expecting fast expand by the human and when he tried to pressure early with a bunch of footman it confirmed my thought but I didn't scout the appropriate expansion. He must've gotten all the creeps almost exclusively with militia. So I went about creeping and when I realized he had a rather formidable armada taking over the skies it was too late. I couldn't produce enough spiders and destroyers. It is particularly frustrating because I correctly anticipated what my opponent was planning and didn't follow through the appropriate way. But it's a learning experience.

One loss to a miscalculation/error and another to strategic deficiency.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Warcraft 3 is the Velvet Underground of video games?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Gator wrote: »

I am unconvinced F2P and microtransactions wouldn't exist without LoL. I'm not super convinced they didn't exist before LoL, but not willing to check that :P

Farmville was released before LoL. Which of those was more effective at pushing f2p I don't know, but LoL certainly isn't the only thing to blame.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    monetization trends are more slow sea changes, rather than a single innovator sticking the flag down

oblivion's horse armour was a huge argument back in the day and now most people don't even remember it and buy similar dlc without thinking

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Warcraft 3 has pretty much been the only RTS I ever really put serious hours into, and tried hard for a while.

I don't know if it'd be anytime soon, but if people around here started playing again I'd be down. I'm not too big a fan of the hour long 4x4's and such though. I much prefer the try hard 1v1's or customs or 2v2's and 3v3's. FFA's are something I've never played much but could be fun with PA'ers maybe, but it becoming a masssssive time sync would be my major concern again. I mean I've played several complete Civ 5 games, but beyond needing to schedule the time for long games; Warcraft 3 suffers from being very fatiguing in long competitive games, and very unfun for me if I feel like my play deteriorated and gets to sloppy.

I mostly played Night Elf and Undead, and tried to play Orc for a bit right before I moved on. I'd also random, but I feel like Human is very much a macro race and you need good map knowledge with them to be decent for the fast expand and militia shenanigans.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Warcraft 3 has pretty much been the only RTS I ever really put serious hours into, and tried hard for a while.

I don't know if it'd be anytime soon, but if people around here started playing again I'd be down. I'm not too big a fan of the hour long 4x4's and such though. I much prefer the try hard 1v1's or customs or 2v2's and 3v3's. FFA's are something I've never played much but could be fun with PA'ers maybe, but it becoming a masssssive time sync would be my major concern again. I mean I've played several complete Civ 5 games, but beyond needing to schedule the time for long games; Warcraft 3 suffers from being very fatiguing in long competitive games, and very unfun for me if I feel like my play deteriorated and gets to sloppy.

I mostly played Night Elf and Undead, and tried to play Orc for a bit right before I moved on. I'd also random, but I feel like Human is very much a macro race and you need good map knowledge with them to be decent for the fast expand and militia shenanigans.

I am kinda in the same boat. I try to play one or two 1v1s a day but even that can be tough. I like to try 2v2s again but I tried on b.net and the queue was super long. Gonna try again in the weekend if I get the chance.

The map pool needs some work. Even for little things like wood distance. Some maps you will collect less wood over time because of the way the starting areas are structured. Similarly some maps allow for easier early game harass because it is harder to wall off. I guess those are legitimate strategies or influences on strategy, but it's not my preferred driving force.

edit: wow had 3 super rough games. only the last one really felt worthwhile and even then my opponent had a "lucky" town portal to trap my lich and it was all downhill from there. i do not like twisted meadows that's for sure. i think i just hate the other maps that i'd downvoted more.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    unfortunately had to break down and play "the right way" and go DK first. i really want to make crypt lord first work but i don't think it can be done. you creep slow, the damage you take is more permanent and your mana pool is atrocious since impale costs almost literally half your mana per cast and beetles are terrible until level 2. if you could get to level 6 easier for locust swarm then maybe but evne solo hero that's tough, a warden you are not

• Options
    MadCaddy wrote: »

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Humans were definitely a micro race. You had no choice but to go Archmage first every time. No exceptions. Brilliance Aura was the backbone of the Human Army. You had to have that perfect balance of casters and supporting units when you got into the decisive actions of 1v1.

For Team Games however, Humans were relatively strong supporters. Riflemen, Mortars w/ Sorceresses, Priests, and Spellbreakers supporting was pretty powerful. You'd be boned though if you had more than one human though on a team.
    unfortunately had to break down and play "the right way" and go DK first. i really want to make crypt lord first work but i don't think it can be done. you creep slow, the damage you take is more permanent and your mana pool is atrocious since impale costs almost literally half your mana per cast and beetles are terrible until level 2. if you could get to level 6 easier for locust swarm then maybe but evne solo hero that's tough, a warden you are not

With the exception of 1v1 Undead Games, you had to go DK first every time. Death Coil for heals/hero killing and Unholy Aura was absolutely mandatory for the race. It was always my complaint for Undead/Humans that having to make a mandatory hero because of an aura was an overlooked design flaw and should've been addressed. It was usually the second/third hero that gave you more diversity for the direction you could go.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Waffen wrote: »

With the exception of 1v1 Undead Games, you had to go DK first every time. Death Coil for heals/hero killing and Unholy Aura was absolutely mandatory for the race. It was always my complaint for Undead/Humans that having to make a mandatory hero because of an aura was an overlooked design flaw and should've been addressed. It was usually the second/third hero that gave you more diversity for the direction you could go.

yup, you're absolutely correct. this isn't really a balance problem per-se, however if there are future updates it'd be nice if something could be done to change this

edit: there are some fringe strategies that are legitimate. for example paladin first into riflemen was popular for a time. in UD mirrors there are a number of heroes that are taken first. MK first had so me popularity. obviously if you are tower rushing firelord is an option. however there is nothing that approaching the general utility of the archmage or DK. speaking as an UD player the entire race would probably have to be rebalanced if DK was nerfed.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    as an aside, the tournament results sometimes feel like they taunt you.

"you went 1-3-0 and did not make the finals"

no shit

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    I'll try and setup my desktop next week and set aside to play some games with you @WingedWeasel from what you've been saying it sounds like we'd be pretty close in skill after I get a few warm up games in me to get my groove back. I've found myself getting that itch to play some LoL, so going through the hassle of rebuilding my PC is finally starting to sound worth. Had it start blue screening randomly after my last move, and bought a new motherboard and realized I didn't know where my tools were and just keep putting it off.

I don't understand the hate on Twisted Meadows. It's starts are much more balanced than, say, Gnoll Wood. I donvsguely remember it being a rough map for Undead, though. I remember that Cryptlord wasn't a very viable hero when I last played, but all I remember is Death Knight, Panda, Lich and Seawitch. Undead could do some real nasty shenanigans with Tinker I believe too. My preferred Undead strat to try to get micro back early is panda and death knight, mass fiend and tier 3 frenzied ghoul timing. Lich was fairly effective nuke even at level one when the timing on the build went. I remember being able to nuke most heroes. It also gives you great creep and anti-creeping ability and easy harass. Takes some practice as any Tri-Hero tier 3 timing does.