As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Battlefront 2] Progression update is Live!

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Can't watch the video, can I get a summary?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Basically it's more facts they know about Battlefront 2. There's a spoiler warning at the start of the video.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    DBAlyNmXsAAxZxO.jpg

Somebody's been busy preparing for e3.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I really want this to be good. BF1 grabbed me with the pretties, but it's gameplay lacked depth.

If this is a Star Wars version of Battlefield I'll be super happy.

• Options
    Apparently they're showing off the new Battlefront at E3 this year. It's going to be a 40 man game taking place on Naboo.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    Apparently they're showing off the new Battlefront at E3 this year. It's going to be a 40 man game taking place on Naboo.

Cool and you play as a battle droid right.. just mowing down hundreds and hundreds of Gungans?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    ...I like Gungans. :( I just thing Jar Jar was annoying.

• Options
    Gamespot wrote:
    We'd already heard the map would be included in Battlefront II, but during the latest episode of The Star Wars Show, the teaser image below was shared. The map is called Assault on Theed (Theed is the capital of Naboo) and will be showcased during a livestream this Saturday, June 10, at 1 PM PT. This will consist of a live 20 vs. 20 match set on Assault on Theed.
    3244118-screen+shot+2017-06-07+at+1.51.06+pm.png

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    yup, looks like theed

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Battlefront II will have "three times the content of the first game. According to the EA E3 press conference.

New feature is a "class system" with different abilities, health loadouts. The developers and beta testers call it a very different way to play.

The new trailer for Battlefront II briefly had the PlayStation logo, showing that PS4 is likely the lead platform for the game once again.

There will be seasonal content. The content will be free, and will include themed seasons of content for "all players at not additional charge."

Pre-orders will get access to the game's beta and a Yoda in-game card.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    "With Star Wars Battlefront II, we've really taken feedback from our players to heart, and you see that in the base game, which has so much more content than the first game--a new authentic single-player campaign, epic multiplayer, starfighter battles, and solo or co-op PvE on console – a huge game across all eras of the Star Wars films," Battlefront II executive producer Matt Webster said in a statement. "But just as important is how we support the game after launch. Our live service is built around the philosophy of keeping our fans playing together, with seasons that will add meaningful content and in game events on a regular basis."

Trailer gamespot here,

Assault on Theed gameplay here.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Man, everything about that gameplay trailer was aces until they showed boba and Rey in the Clone Wars era. That might bug me enough to kill everything else.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Man, everything about that gameplay trailer was aces until they showed boba and Rey in the Clone Wars era. That might bug me enough to kill everything else.

Clones fighting in the Fall of Theed didn't do that for you? The droids should be fighting Royal Naboo forces.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

They were showing gameplay from all three eras at the end, hence why there were first order snowspeeders and wookies around.

Clones fighting in the Fall of Theed didn't do that for you? The droids should be fighting Royal Naboo forces.

Probably the Second Battle of Naboo. They loved having rematches. Don't know how many times they invaded Genosis but it was a ton.

And yes, Darth Maul living past Episode 1 is canon.

• Options
  • Options
    Looks nice. I like the part in the second tank clip when a starfighter flies overhead and you just see the shadow. A few moments after that, there's a bird, too, which I thought was a nice touch. I wish they were showing off the game with something other than a battle between two armies I don't care about in a location I sort of like but which doesn't exactly get me pumped up for Star Wars the way other places like Hoth or Endor do, although I get why they're using a setting we haven't seen before. I'm still on the fence about this but my love of Star Wars and the fact that their DLC model isn't going to be braindead this time around is pushing me to pick it up. Plus, the single player being written by the Spec Ops writer is pretty exciting. I enjoy shitty single player FPS games filled with tons of spectacle, so if it turns out it has a cool story, that will be icing on the cake. Or, since the single player is already icing, it will be sprinkles on the icing or whatever.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I really loved the video (except for the Vulture Droid flying around gave me a bit of a headache). The graphics look really nice and I hope that they allow the Vulture to transform and walk on the ground.

I think I'm going to preorder this game after reading all the information about it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Looks nice. I like the part in the second tank clip when a starfighter flies overhead and you just see the shadow. A few moments after that, there's a bird, too, which I thought was a nice touch. I wish they were showing off the game with something other than a battle between two armies I don't care about in a location I sort of like but which doesn't exactly get me pumped up for Star Wars the way other places like Hoth or Endor do, although I get why they're using a setting we haven't seen before. I'm still on the fence about this but my love of Star Wars and the fact that their DLC model isn't going to be braindead this time around is pushing me to pick it up. Plus, the single player being written by the Spec Ops writer is pretty exciting. I enjoy shitty single player FPS games filled with tons of spectacle, so if it turns out it has a cool story, that will be icing on the cake. Or, since the single player is already icing, it will be sprinkles on the icing or whatever.

So much this. I was excited to see some footage of the new game, didn't really pay much attention to the announcements, etc. Tune in and see bland prequel content battles and locations. I'm not sure this is going to sell people on the game.

Though I did get a hearty laugh at the EA presentation when the guy yells out "Y'all excited you can FINALLY play as droids??" and the crowd was literally silent. My thoughts exactly.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yub-yub >> Roger roger.

• Options
    I think I would actually probably enjoy a game where I played as an insurgent who used to belong to the Naboo defense force, fighting against the droid occupation of the city by planting bombs on tanks, doing hit and runs, etc. I think the aesthetic of The Phantom Menace near the end when they're retaking the palace was kind of neat. Droids vs. clones, though, is just boring to me in every form, with the exception of those badass ARC troopers in the first Clone Wars cartoon series (the 2d one, not the 3d one). Aside from that, clones are kind of boring, clones vs. droids is pretty boring, Theed is not a great setpiece for a massive battle because all the explosions cover up the splendor, etc.

• Options
    I kinda wish the environment was at least semi destructible, it'd be nice to be able to knock down trees and bushes. Seeing the tank not be able to get its shots through the bush was a little annoying. I'm sure I'd find it infuriating if I was actually playing.

• Options
    After going all-in on destruction in the last few Battlefields it's a little sad to see it dialed back in Battlefront, but it's probably a shitton of work so I get why they do it.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I think I will have to keep tabs on this. I really really enjoyed the immersiveness of the recent Battlefront. I never played the older ones so I didn't carry any of that baggage with me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Star Wars feel of it and this looks like it just adds onto that. My biggest gripe with the current one is that I got REALLY tired of playing on Endor and some game modes got very difficult to find a match on after awhile (I HATE MATCHMAKING BECAUSE OF THIS). I enjoyed all the additional star was they brought to the video, but I really hope they tweak the guns around some (which some reviews said they have). Some people had some ridiculous setups that were tough to crack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    I am all in on BF2. It looks amazing, and that Theed gameplay is aces!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Now watch me Superman!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I like the idea behind the campaign, but you just know they're going to have you switch sides at some point.

"Who could have known that this evil organization I was in was evil! I'm a rebel now!"

This is about the caliber of writing I'm expecting, personally.

TIE Fighter and Dark Forces 2 aren't exactly Dostoyevsky, but this is Battlefield we're talking about here, and if anything the villains in Rogue One and The Force Awakens seem to think their cinematic predecessors were 1) too subtle and 2) had too much volume control.

You could totally buy into this game and completely ignore every single line of plot though, so it's not much of an issue.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain the main writer from Spec Ops: The Line can handle a "whoops I was the bad guy" plot fairly well.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    But the Emperor was right though. Jedi and force users can't be trusted. They'll just galaxy the universe and say they're better than everyone.
    I mean it's a self fulfilling prophecy but it keeps happening in that universe.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I like the idea behind the campaign, but you just know they're going to have you switch sides at some point.

"Who could have known that this evil organization I was in was evil! I'm a rebel now!"

This is about the caliber of writing I'm expecting, personally.

TIE Fighter and Dark Forces 2 aren't exactly Dostoyevsky, but this is Battlefield we're talking about here, and if anything the villains in Rogue One and The Force Awakens seem to think their cinematic predecessors were 1) too subtle and 2) had too much volume control.

You could totally buy into this game and completely ignore every single line of plot though, so it's not much of an issue.

I may be misremembering, but didn't SWBF2 (the old one) have you play as a clone that went from republic soldier to stormtrooper to death star debris? It had Jango Fett's actor doing the voice narration, and I recall it being an interesting (albeit non-canon/retconned) take on the story.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    make sure you all check your emails. there's an alpha test this weekend of battlefront 2.

253J736.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Hopefully more people give the 2nd round a shot.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ugh, god damn it its this weekend? I got an email about it but I'm out of town. I finally get a Battlefield/Battlefront alpha/beta invite and I cant even use it.

Per the email it cant even be shared. What a waste :(

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    https://youtu.be/pryBP4K-_34

Paul Blackthorne plays a member of Inferno squad!

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Yay, Harry Dresden!

• Options
    Main post updated to include the new video and Beta date.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I just confused myself by reading the pre-order for the deluxe edition. I originally thought that you can just buy the regular version and eventually unlock everything that the deluxe has unlocked (plus early/beta entry). Or am I mistaken and there are some stuff that will be behind a pay wall or deluxe only?

Either way, that deluxe cover is really nice looking and tempting me...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I only made it about 5 or 6 chapters into the Inferno Squad book last night, but so far it's really good! Starts off with Iden fighting in the battle at the end of Episode IV. We all know how that goes, but it leads to the formation of the squad. The team members all seem really cool, can't wait to read more tonight. They're about to go on their first mission. I've never really read or seen too much Star Wars stuff from the Imperial perspective, and I'm really digging it.

It also helps that Iden Versio is played by The Shiva.

Shivakamini Somakandarkraaaaaaaaaaam!!!

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Both the Season Pass and Ultimate Edition of SWBF are $5 at Origin. If have the base game, the Ultimate Edition will give me nothing over the Season Pass, right?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life