As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He must be a king ... he hasn't got [MOVIES] all over 'im.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    HE JUST FLEXED OUT OF HIS CAST

I am going to find the people who write these films, and I am going to slap them so hard their dead great-grandparents feel it.

is slap a weird pronunciation of hug

No. She just willed a dead man back to life. It's slap o'clock, in slap city, in the Chinese year of the slap.

These movies are so bad. I can see why people love them, though.

They are very good movies

Nah, they're terrible. But they are a LOT of fun.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I hate fun.

They're really overrated indie schlock, I agree

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I do kind of wish they'd ended The Dark Knight with batman and the joker driving the batbike and that stolen truck down the road together and then reaching a fork in the road and then going two separate directions while wiz khalifa raps. That would have owned. Maybe a scene of heath ledger playing on the beach with soft focus soap opera lighting.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I do kind of wish they'd ended The Dark Knight with batman and the joker driving the batbike and that stolen truck down the road together and then reaching a fork in the road and then going two separate directions while wiz khalifa raps. That would have owned. Maybe a scene of heath ledger playing on the beach with soft focus soap opera lighting.

Okay wait

I'm no big Fast and the Furious fan

But this might have been better

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    God, I wanna hear Christian Bale giving a saccharine monologue about how much important the Joker is to him as family in his ridiculous bat-voice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I hate fun.

I don't get this joke

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I hate fun.

I don't get this joke

there is an indie pop band named F.U.N.

They did that pumped up kicks song

they seem fine.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Pumped Up Kicks was a song by Foster The People I thought

• Options
    SHIT I GOT MY INDIE POP WRONG

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I hate fun.

I don't get this joke

they seem fine.

Pumped Up Kicks is by Foster the People

fun. is a different story

Straightzi on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I hate fun.

I don't get this joke

they seem fine.

Foster the People did Pumped Up Kicks, old man

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I hate fun.

they'e about as "indie" as imagine dragons

which is to say, barely and not for any songs you've ever heard

fueled by ramen is a WMG music label

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I hate fun.

I don't get this joke

they seem fine.

There are many incorrect things in this post

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is indie pop even a thing

• Options
  • Options
    HEY CHINCY DID YOU KNOW

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

TEN YEARS IN THE ISO CUBES

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Is indie pop even a thing

Sort of?

Like, it's a weird artifact of nomenclature that it exists, and I think a lot of indie pop could be readily classified in another category

It's a lot of post-punk/alternative/noise pop, I guess

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    At end of last thread, someone mentioned fear of clowns having always been a thing, but that's not really true.

Yes, some people were always afraid of clowns, but it didn't really become widespread until about 35-40 years ago. This is thought to have been caused by the 1-2-3 punch of John Wayne Gacy, Poltergeist, and It catapulting the imagery of the creepy clown into the public consciousness to the point that it eventually became the default depiction of clowns in media. Prior to that, the Joker was probably the most prominent evil clown and he wasn't really portrayed as creepy or as a "scary clown" until some stories in the 80s.

Most modern children were probably exposed to a depiction of a creepy clown before ever encountering a "regular" clown and the association sticks. Living in an age of computer effects has also made modern audiences more aware of the uncanny valley effect, which clowns can also trigger due to looking slightly "off" from a normal human appearance.

It's similar to how the movie Jaws caused a sharp upswing in the fear of sharks, which lead to more shark horror movies which lead to more audiences being exposed to scary sharks at a young age. Granted, your average shark is probably more dangerous than your average clown.

Google "1800's clown" and tell me that shit isn't off-putting. ;)

To be fair, I really did just mean that some people have been afraid of clowns forever, but not because of pop-culture influence. It's just an unsettling image sometimes, especially those really classic depictions. Ignore the concept of the clown dating back to the Pharaohs, or ye olde court jester. Just the "modern" interpretation is where I'm coming from. You're totally spot-on about the "why" of it in recent times, though. At least, I imagine that would be the reason.

Change of subject: Fede Alvarez to direct Labyrinth reboot. Anyone want to bet they miscast Jane Levy as Sarah?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've refined a lot of the really specific genre types into a much larger but equally functional sub-genre called "shit music"

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    At end of last thread, someone mentioned fear of clowns having always been a thing, but that's not really true.

Yes, some people were always afraid of clowns, but it didn't really become widespread until about 35-40 years ago. This is thought to have been caused by the 1-2-3 punch of John Wayne Gacy, Poltergeist, and It catapulting the imagery of the creepy clown into the public consciousness to the point that it eventually became the default depiction of clowns in media. Prior to that, the Joker was probably the most prominent evil clown and he wasn't really portrayed as creepy or as a "scary clown" until some stories in the 80s.

Most modern children were probably exposed to a depiction of a creepy clown before ever encountering a "regular" clown and the association sticks. Living in an age of computer effects has also made modern audiences more aware of the uncanny valley effect, which clowns can also trigger due to looking slightly "off" from a normal human appearance.

It's similar to how the movie Jaws caused a sharp upswing in the fear of sharks, which lead to more shark horror movies which lead to more audiences being exposed to scary sharks at a young age. Granted, your average shark is probably more dangerous than your average clown.

Google "1800's clown" and tell me that shit isn't off-putting. ;)

That shit isn't off-putting.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    God, I wanna hear Christian Bale giving a saccharine monologue about how much important the Joker is to him as family in his ridiculous bat-voice.

THE PEOPLE OF THIS CITY.......JUST SHOWED YOU........WE'RE FAM-I-LYYYYYYYYY...

• Options

Well, if you're gonna screw up at least you did it on the least consequential thing possible.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I learned about F.U.N from the song they had that was used in the Wreak-It-Ralph trailer.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    I would categorize 'F.U.N.' as 'perfectly fine'

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I could conquer astrophysics before I understood the deepest nuances of super specific music genres.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ahhh, my daily reminder that I hate music genres

• Options
    I'm good friends with a dude in a punk band. And I'm like 99% sure his conversations about music genres are a bit.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

I love them, but only descriptively, not prescriptively.

I really like cataloguing my collection and being able to sort it based on shared criteria. But I pick that criteria and it's not hard and fast rules.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

this is why I just said indie pop

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    You should watch the Lego Batman movie

• Options
    You should watch the Lego Batman movie

I did. It was very good!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Y'know, like Dr. Thunder or Mountain Lightning

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I only listen to Pre-Electric synthpop black metal.

• Options

Y'know, like Dr. Thunder or Mountain Lightning

Those are wal-mart brands, the least indie thing imaginable

• Options
    I only listen to Pre-Electric synthpop black metal.

Post industrial crust punk for me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    What even is pop music

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if you spend a whole movie not showing the lovecraftian monster and then near the climax the hero finally gets a peak at the unknowable madness and it's a black man cuddling a white woman
    what if it's a man cuddling a furry

YjRYjjW.jpg

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    one of the hardest times I've ever rolled my eyes is when I discovered that two of my favorite bands supposedly belong to the genre of "post-rock"

• Options
    There's so many Dr. Peppers

e2kad7ca6xba.jpg

This discussion has been closed.