As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: YOU MANIACS!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited July 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Atomika on

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yay, movie thread!

I watched Steve Jobs yesterday, and while I have some issues with the psychology (which strikes me as too foregrounded and overly facile), I love Sorkin's verbal sparring delivered by actors who know how to work with his writing, and that's definitely the case here. I also like the structure a lot. Is the film a realistic depiction of Jobs and the way he was with others? No idea, but the fictionalised Jobs works well for the story the film is telling. And Boyle reigns in his directorial excesses while still giving the film a clear, fitting, eminently watchable style. I'd probably pick The Social Network over this one, mainly because I like TSN's ending better than the final scene here between Jobs and his daughter, but I'm glad I got to see this and I'm looking forward to seeing it again - not least because it's great to see Kate Winslet working with strong material (the last film I saw her in was Divergent... 'nuff said).

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sandy Wexler (Netflix) is the best Netflix Sandler movie, but that's just different levels of mediocrity. True Memoirs of an International Assassin is still the superior Netflix Happy Madison movie.

Somewhat mockumentary mixed with flashbacks because the film never really does a good job distinguishing the cutbacks, we're told of the story of Sandy Wexler, a business manager to F-listers who has a penchant for lying all the time even as he tries to do right by his clients. There are so many cameos it's sort of amazing, as this relies heavily on 90's 'memberberries and jokes about not investing in Apple but investing in bookstores, because history lol. Anyway, in 1994 Sandy stumbles across a Mariah Carey stand-in singer in Jennifer Hudson and helps make her a big name. And then we even have a romance story shoved in because it was in the leftover script template.

It's clearly made to be a movie you watch bits and pieces of, not a complete piece. Perhaps that's Netflix's wish now, to have people watch their original films like snacks, coming and going to inflate the numbers. This is a comedy that is over 2 hours, that's.....that's not how comedies work, fam. And you're got some good chuckles here in places, but they're filled with long bits of forced romance subplot or just not editing out bland parts that it does feel like padding. Which kind of stinks because this movie actually did a decent job showing the 90's. The branding for Coke (this is a Sandler movie so lots of product placement) is in line with the time, they put up billboards of actual movies from the time in the background, and Fuitopia, that terrible, terrible drink is here.

Nothing really comes from the stars reminiscing about Sandy with the documentary style, and you can tell what even they're at midway through the film which makes the ending not worth it, but compared to the other two Netflix movies Sandler does seem to be trying here since he's actually doing a different character. Jennifer Hudson isn't a good actress but she is a good singer and the song they make (a knockoff of Carey's Fantasy) is actually a good song, just played to death over and over, and some of the bigger cameos do a good job (Jane Seymour is still amazingly hot especially as a blonde).

It does do some bits where it's not completely kid friendly but isn't crude enough to be more of a raunchy film.

It is a movie, I guess is what this comes down to. Completely average.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Fate of the Furious was ridiculously good.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

It was good, bit of a letdown compared to the 2 past installments.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So what movies are ...you looking forward to in the next few months?

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options

GOTG 2, Thor Ragnarok, Spider-man: Homecoming, The Mummy, War of the Planet of the Apes, Valarian, Baywatch, Baby Driver, Free Fire, Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    As a follow up on my previous post about The Big City, I liked this video about it

https://youtu.be/IszWRnZ5XGo

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    King Arthur
    Alien: Covenant
    PotC5
    Colossal
    Baby Driver
    The Hitman's Bodyguard

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

I haven't seen it yet but that's not surprising. The series seems to have peaked with 5.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    it has been a long time since i have read any good movie writing by

@Astaereth or @Atomika

i'm not saying that you owe me but how am i supposed to explain this to my children?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    They have a website now!

http://www.wehavealwayslivedinthekraken.com/ (Kyu is @Astaereth if I recall correctly)

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Watched The Void last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4255304/

John Carpenter's love child with H.P Lovecraft. Really great practical effects for such a small budget.

And holy hell is it gory.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    oh i know

and i check it from time to time, when my brain mouth becomes parched and thirsts for new thought waters

but there is not always a ton of movie stuff on there

and i mean, i get it, everyone's got busy lives

i just like to suck up to our resident film experts whenever possible

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I actually think this movie was better than 6 or 7

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    oh i know

and i check it from time to time, when my brain mouth becomes parched and thirsts for new thought waters

but there is not always a ton of movie stuff on there

and i mean, i get it, everyone's got busy lives

i just like to suck up to our resident film experts whenever possible

We've been kinda tied up with Torchlight right now, but we have several projects in the pipeline. There's a multi-part podcast roundtable we're still finishing up, I've got a piece on Get Out to put up, and I'm sure there be much more coming once the summer season heats up. We're about three weeks away from there being more movies to write about than time on the clock.

Stay tuned, friendo <3

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I kinda started another blog (check the signature). Movie reviews were a thing in the before times, when political calamity didn't engender a noble call to service. I'm exactly like those Five Came Back guys except I haven't come back yet.

But we still have good stuff at www.insidethekraken.com on anime and video games and I've been podcasting on Syfy's The Magicians.

I still watch movies but it's been a while since I wrote any real reviews. I still want to do something on Logan, maybe I'll get around to that this week.

It's doubly annoying because 2017 is shaping up to be the best year in film in quite some time.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Fate of the Furious aka Can Vin Diesel Be Any More of a Marty Stu?, a good movie that is the weakest of the past four films. The story is so bad now with characterization and trying to connect family (this time it's almost offensive) that I haven't seen history being rewritten this badly since Spider-Man One More Day.

After a bit of cuban propaganda and one of the dumber car races in the entire film series, Dom turns on the team to work for Aeon Flux when they have to steal an EMP from some baddies in Germany. The mission is off the books so he frames The Rock for it, who is given a chance to fix things with the help of The Transporter and Dom's team. Something something hacking the tubes, family, family tubes, Scott Eastwood is terrible even when his character is supposed to be terrible.

Let's get the good stuff out of the way:

-Statham's the highlight here, he anchors the two best scenes in the movie and they are among the best of the series, even though they're the least F&F. They are essentially Transporter kung-fu highlight reels, one being the prison break scene you see in the trailers. The other car stuff here is rather standard car action stuff. The series continues to be unrealistic with car chases, but now it's circling around again from "turn off your brain dumb" to "it's so dumb your brain can't help but kick back on."

-Tyrese Gibson as Roman is really keeping the "original" crew together in terms of just being someone fun and relatable since they continue to make The Rock not as front and center. I was hoping they would switch around the screentime since he got so little in Fast 7, but no, everything has to be Dumb Dom. But Roman is still great, steals scenes like speakerbox blast go rat a tat tat

-Charlize Theron as the baddie works, especially in this series. She's like Luke Evans from 6 in terms of being perfectly used and while you realize a lot of her stuff was done probably in a few weeks because she's mainly by herself or with Diesel, she works as the villain everyone is looking for. And at least in her history for the series, the revising works.

-Kurt Russell makes it look so easy. He's not Mr. Nobody, he's Mr. Charisma, making the exposition and hand holding the plot work well as it could be.

-there's two nice cameos here that are better than some other cameos even though a lot of it makes no sense:
    Helen Mirren as Transporter's mom and Luke Evans showing up at the end was nice. Mirren's (I take it cockney) accent is a little over the top but it's fun, she could totally be Statham's mom

Now the bad:

-Scott Eastwood. He is supposed to play Russell's #2 and slide in as the new government stooge, the rookie learning how to create super spy teams, and he's supposed to be unlikable, but he's just terrible. It's not completely his fault, because the movie really, really wants to make him Paul Walker, even making him the rice rocket dude of the group so he drives a Z and an Evo like Brian was. And the film at least has the common sense to make everyone shit on him by mocking him but even his "I'm cool now" scenes are just.....bad. He makes Paul Walker's bland time in the series look like he's RDJ. You gotta have some charisma even as the stooge, because you'll just get run roughshod over when you're around Tyrese Gibson, the Rock, Russell & Statham. Someone like Matt Bomer or even Zach Levi would have worked better just to really be some kind of banter equal and likeable enough that you want them to stay around in the series.

-the "family" part of the story is terrible. Big spoilers that makes a character look stupid and feeds way more into the "Dom is amazing" narrative that has been hurting the franchise, especially with Walker gone:
    so remember the Brazillian cop Elena who Dom hooked up with in 5 and the beginning of 6, and was also in 7 for five minutes? She was pregnant with Dom's kid when she let him run off to find Letty in 6. And she had the kid and was going to tell Dom about it after he got back from his honeymoon with Letty at the end of 7 but was kidnapped by Theron and she and their son is the reason Dom turns on everyone.

And then she is killed off by point blank execution by Theron's henchman in front of Dom.

Now, they ruined Elena in 6 by making her just let Dom go and find another chick and just accepting she's not gonna be with him despite no real build up to that (and no one's gonna choose Michelle Rodriguez over Elsa Pataky anyway). It was stupid and unbelievable, even in this F&F world. It was dumb then, and this makes her look worse. The timeline doesn't really make sense either, as when she saw Dom in 7 she could have easily said something like "hey that guy who nearly killed the Rock might come after me because I have your son." And hell, even The Rock might have said something since he would have likely seen a pregnant Elena walking around in his LA office but what the hell do I know anymore. I can't even get a good timeline on when this is supposed to take place after 6 then.

And at the end when the kid is saved they name him Brian, in a bit of 4th wall breaking when they should have just named him Paul and gone full on wall break. Furious 7 had a great, touching ending, and this felt more like trying to still cash in on Walker's death which felt cheap and a little slimey.

-Dom being amazing is terrible, he's over 5,000!
    So he's being blackmailed into helping Theron and he's upset about it but everyone knows he's so cool he would never betray the team unless there was a reason, so there's never any real anger here. But he's also so smart he puts a tracker in his cross pendant right above his son's room (that we don't see the tracker of when its placed, only it appearing on the necklace in a flashback at the end because fuck you audience), and even though he's being watched 24/7 by Theron because of the God's Eye device from the last movie, he's able to orchestrate a 5 minute back room deal with Helen Mirren (who we are never told what she does exactly) at a specific time in a specific place and, by calling in favors from Leo and Santos from F&F 4 and 5 for 30 seconds, as well as the cuban guy whose respect he earned from the film's opening, he's able to "kill" Statham only to hide him away to steal his kid back with Luke Evans. Because fuck you, that's why.

ALSO, everyone seems to forget Statham killed Han. AND blew up Dom's house. He's treated with disdain by the Rock because he nearly killed the guy in 7, but we see later on that Statham is actually a good guy who Theron wanted to work for her but he refused and she ruined his military career and used his brother to help her instead, making him a bad guy. So he's basically like The Rock in this regard in this franchise. So you have this weird characterization trying to clean the slate because everyone likes Statham as the good guy, but at the same time there is no talk at all about anything that happened in the previous films about this change. It's film blinders to any justified conflict that could have worked and helped show greater bonds of family, which is why I'm surprised it wasn't brought up.

It could have worked in the story had they planned it better, and maybe showing once that Dom had some computer skills, but yeah, nah, whatever, he's just great at everything. He even has a car with so much horsepower he's better than everyone combined because again, fuck you, that's why.

-There's some choppy CGI here. I wonder if it was shopped out to Chinese studios to help get it in their theaters because they're financing this franchise now, but some stuff with the cars like was in some trailers really doesn't look good compared to that sweet tank on the road in Spain that we saw in 6.

-It's 20 minutes too long. This is filled up by some bad telegraphed jokes from the Rock early on (the soccer stuff) or the forced use of Cuba in the beginning for no real reason (they make Havanna look like a little Rio and I'm all yeah right).

Overall, it was a fine matinee movie, but I don't plan on buying this when it comes out on digital like I have the last three films. A few great scenes do not make up for the other weakspots. If you are a big F&F fan, lower your expectations and you might have a better time than I did. They can easily fix some of this stuff in the future films but they likely won't because it's a franchise that's Transformers powerful now.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

John Carpenter's love child with H.P Lovecraft. Really great practical effects for such a small budget.

I watched this too! I liked it a lot. Is funny that in a movie stuffed with cosmic nightmares, the scariest thing is just regular monk guys standing en mass. Also that one nurse was Knives Chau!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

I watched this too! I liked it a lot. Is funny that in a movie stuffed with cosmic nightmares, the scariest thing is just regular monk guys standing en mass. Also that one nurse was Knives Chau!

That's where I knew her from!

The whole last 1/3rd was pure cosmic horror.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Logan

Oh, that already came out? No, I mean the blu ray, so I can cry in the privacy of my own home this time, thanks.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

Logan

Oh, that already came out? No, I mean the blu ray, so I can cry in the privacy of my own home this time, thanks.

I don't know what you're talking about, i definitely didn't cry at Logan, and anyone who says that I did is a liar and I will sue them.

I did not find the movie touching or emotionally resonant in any way, I instead enjoyed it and then did at all drag my weepy ass out of the theater.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Looking forward to Baby Driver, Logan Lucky, Detroit, and some of the stuff that's playing at Cannes (Claire's Camera, A Gentle Creature, The Day After, 24 Frames, Before We Vanish, You Were Never Really Here, and a few others), though it can be hard to say when I'll have an opportunity to see them!

The beginning of October looks really interesting too.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hey The Ten Commandments is on tv

Kewl

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    So after the mentions of it a few days ago, I watched Red Heat again.

It's become something of an interesting historical curio, I think. Very much a product of its time, but thankfully without too much '80s hair going on (although, speaking of hair, Gina Gershon's is just magnificent in this flick); no, it's more that it's very much a snapshot in time of where US/USSR relations were, shortly before everything changed in the subsequent few years.

The buddy cop movie and Arnold Schwarzenegger were two of the biggest things in movies at that point, so there's a logic to combining them. It was interesting to look over director Walter Hill's notes on the movie's Wikipedia page - the concept came from that exact combination, yet also making Arnold's accent work for him rather than it being glossed over. Arnold makes it work, clipping his dialogue a bit and rolling his R's to create a distinctive riff on his usual style. He also has a really good chemistry with Jim Belushi, and between them they do pull off the staple of the characters who can't stand each other at first, but are forced by circumstance to work together, and grow to respect, trust and ultimately like each other. It's the cliché of movies like this but it works here, with the Russian/American spin played for all it's worth. Plus, there is never a hint that Schwarzenegger's character is ever tempted to defect, which is another turn away from what you might expect.

Gershon is sorely underused although she's great for the short time we get her; Ed O'Ross really is fantastically snarly and borderline psychotic as the big bad; and the rest of the supporting cast (I'd forgotten that Brion James and Larry Fishburne were in this!) is solid.

There are some great set-pieces, the bus chase being a highlight, although again, perhaps too brief. The hotel shoot-out is another favourite.

It's a movie that takes very well established formulae and offers several unusual takes on them. I'm not quite sure how it would come across to a new viewer now, but as someone who saw it not too long after it came out (and who vaguely remembers the accompanying novelization - I did go through a few of those back in those days), I feel that it holds up - although it is a reminder of just how much the world has changed since the late '80s. But it's also a well paced, sharply written, energetic and tightly shot movie, and I still like it a lot.

Fun trivia fact: it was the first Western film production ever permitted to shoot in Moscow's Red Square; a sign of what was to come.

• Options
    My to watch list for 2017 is 72 movies long, but I'm sure there's a bunch of indie stuff that isn't on here yet:
    (already out, haven't caught them yet)

Monster Trucks
    Rings
    Trespass Against Us
    Lost in London
    Detour
    I Am Not Your Nego
    A Cure for Wellness
    Get Out
    War on Everyone
    The Great Wall
    American Fable
    Tulip Fever
    Kong: Skull Island
    The Last Word
    Before I Fall
    T2: Trainspotting
    Personal Shopper
    Song to Song
    Wilson
    Ghost in the Shell
    Life
    The Blackcoat's Daughter
    Sleight
    Colossal
    Gifted
    --

(not out yet)

Unforgettable
    The Circle
    Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
    King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
    Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
    Wonder Woman
    The Mummy
    The Beguiled
    Rock That Body
    Wish Upon
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Dunkirk
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
    The Dark Tower
    An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power
    (Katheryn Bigelow Detroit project)
    Baby Driver
    My Cousin Rachel
    The Coldest City
    All I See Is You
    The Hitman's Bodyguard
    It Comes at Night
    It
    The Lego Ninjago Movie
    American Made
    Blade Runner 2049
    The Snowman
    mother!
    Logan Lucky
    The Commuter
    Marshall
    The Mountain Between Us
    God Particle
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Paddington 2
    Justice League
    Coco
    Murder on the Orient Express
    Red Sparrow
    Darkest Hour
    Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
    Jumanji
    Downsizing
    The Greatest Showman

There's not a lot here that I'm like, "I'm excited to see this because I know it's going to be great" (only Star Wars really fits the bill for that this year), but there's a ton of "could be good, could be terrible" movies this year and so far those bets are paying off. So we'll see.

(Also I love that I've already forgotten what half of these are since I made this list.)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    My to watch list for 2017 is 72 movies long, but I'm sure there's a bunch of indie stuff that isn't on here yet:

Monster Trucks
    Rings
    Trespass Against Us
    Lost in London
    Detour
    I Am Not Your Nego
    A Cure for Wellness
    Get Out
    War on Everyone
    The Great Wall
    American Fable
    Tulip Fever
    The Last Word
    Before I Fall
    Personal Shopper
    Song to Song
    Wilson
    Ghost in the Shell
    Life
    The Blackcoat's Daughter
    Sleight
    Colossal
    Gifted
    --

(not out yet)

Unforgettable
    The Circle
    Wonder Woman
    The Mummy
    The Beguiled
    Rock That Body
    Wish Upon
    Dunkirk
    The Dark Tower
    Baby Driver
    My Cousin Rachel
    The Coldest City
    All I See Is You
    The Hitman's Bodyguard
    It Comes at Night
    It
    The Lego Ninjago Movie
    American Made
    Blade Runner 2049
    The Snowman
    mother!
    Logan Lucky
    The Commuter
    Marshall
    The Mountain Between Us
    God Particle
    Paddington 2
    Justice League
    Coco
    Red Sparrow
    Darkest Hour
    Jumanji
    Downsizing
    The Greatest Showman

There's not a lot here that I'm like, "I'm excited to see this because I know it's going to be great" (only Star Wars really fits the bill for that this year), but there's a ton of "could be good, could be terrible" movies this year and so far those bets are paying off. So we'll see.

(Also I love that I've already forgotten what half of these are since I made this list.)

Not interested in Free Fire, or is that one that didn't make it on there yet?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Too tired to go out and see a good movie, I decided to just flip through some cable channels and see what I could watch. And there was Suicide Squad, which I haven't seen yet, on HBO. So I dug around for the strongest alcohol in the kitchen and started it up via OnDemand or whatever. About 10 minutes in DirecTV kicks out of the stream and back to live tv. I stubbornly started it up again, even though I had to wait for the film buffering to catch up before I could fast forward back to where it was at. I make it another 14 minutes or so, frequently questioning whether I might need something even stronger from the basement and then it kicks back to live TV again. Angry now, I start it up yet again, wait for buffering multiple times, and get back to where I left off and watch another 9 minutes or so before it kicks me out for a third time and I realize that DirecTV is trying to save me from myself. I'll try to watch it again at some point, but those first 33 minutes or so are rough and the Leto Joker is even worse than I'd expected.

As I hit the guide again, I see that Hellboy 2 is just starting. I've only seen it all the way through once, and that was back when it came out, so I decide to go with it. It jived pretty well with my memories - enjoyable despite its flaws, and it looks fantastic with some truly beautiful moments.

When it was over though, I was struck by something: Hellboy 2 made me want to go read some comic books. It made me want to pick up some Hellboy and dig in, even though I've never read any Hellboy before or really had much interest in it. Hell, given that it was too late to do so it had me considering going back to Fables, or some Harry Dresden stuff, or anything else that covers that territory of ancient fantasy creatures living a secret existence under the noses of modern reality. Whereas what I saw of Suicide Squad, which actually involved numerous characters I like and a number of actors I usually enjoy, made me even less interested in seeing any upcoming DCU projects or picking up any DC comic books.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    At the risk of weeabooing the joint up, I got to see Your Name at the local arthouse theater (damn I love that I live a mile from an arthouse theater now so I can catch limited releases like this). Really well thought-out film. Mostly gorgeous animation, as you'd expect from director Makoto Shinkai. There's a solid emotional core if you don't mind teenage romance as a thing, and the plot mostly ticks along like a well-crafted machine. There's a really cool gear-shift tonally bisecting the movie into two distinct halves, but which also interlock masterfully when you go back and look at all the foreshadowing in the first part of the film.

I have a few quibbles with the movie--it's cut with some weird pop music montages which feel like an anime show's opening sequence, so that an otherwise well-produced film ends up feeling a little made-for-TV. The plot, while well-constructed, does hang a little bit on not asking too hard "Why didn't these characters just do X?" And, as with Shinkai's Garden of Words, some of the emotional climaxes are overwrought and probably should've been toned down a little.

For me this is definitely one of the best anime films this side of Miyazaki, and I feel like it's also very accessible to people who don't watch anime.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

Monster Trucks
    Rings
    Trespass Against Us
    Lost in London
    Detour
    I Am Not Your Nego
    A Cure for Wellness
    Get Out
    War on Everyone
    The Great Wall
    American Fable
    Tulip Fever
    The Last Word
    Before I Fall
    Personal Shopper
    Song to Song
    Wilson
    Ghost in the Shell
    Life
    The Blackcoat's Daughter
    Sleight
    Colossal
    Gifted
    --

(not out yet)

Unforgettable
    The Circle
    Wonder Woman
    The Mummy
    The Beguiled
    Rock That Body
    Wish Upon
    Dunkirk
    The Dark Tower
    Baby Driver
    My Cousin Rachel
    The Coldest City
    All I See Is You
    The Hitman's Bodyguard
    It Comes at Night
    It
    The Lego Ninjago Movie
    American Made
    Blade Runner 2049
    The Snowman
    mother!
    Logan Lucky
    The Commuter
    Marshall
    The Mountain Between Us
    God Particle
    Paddington 2
    Justice League
    Coco
    Red Sparrow
    Darkest Hour
    Jumanji
    Downsizing
    The Greatest Showman

Not interested in Free Fire, or is that one that didn't make it on there yet?

An oversight. I intend to see that one, although I'm pretty wary of the director after Kill List disappointed.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Hey The Ten Commandments is on tv

Kewl

Not sure why, but it seems to be a mandatory staple for Easter Television. Like the Wizard of Oz during Thanksgiving, or that English movie during Scandanavian New Years.

Good movie, but I tend to lose interest after the plagues. Egyptian Prince Moses is so much more fun than Prophet Moses.

Prince of Egypt is a worthy successor, though. Great songs, the best of animation (just before pure CGI became commonplace), and a humanization of Pharaoh.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and a fantastic wham line from Patrick Stewart. Kind, wise, sympathetic dad Patrick Stewart.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

I haven't seen it yet but that's not surprising. The series seems to have peaked with 5.

Heh. I thought it peaked with 6. lol

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

5 is Brazil right? Because the bank vault Chase is the best set piece out of any of them.

The producer of the series, Neal Moritz, was on Bill Simmons pod this week, overall not a great episode but there was some interesting bits.

First was that the vault Chase was done by actually dragging a vault around Puerto Rico and really fucking up tons of stuff in the process.

Second was that the studio really, really, really, wanted Timothy Olyphant in the Dominic Turetto role. That's a what if that I wish happened.

Third that he completely didn't understand why anyone might dislike the twist in passengers and that he blames a single critic for linking the film to date rape. He just thinks it's completely unfair that anybody thinks that about hIs wonderful, lovely movie.

Carpy on
  • Options

5 is Brazil right? Because the bank vault Chase is the best set piece out of any of them.

The officer

Yeah, 6 is with Owen Shaw.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Last night I watched A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night. I was unimpressed.

More like A Girl Watches a Boring Flick About a Vampire Who Eats Junkies. It had a decent aesthetic and a good premise, but it was just such a goddamn slog. The whole thing seemed like something filmed through molasses and then replayed at half speed.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Third that he completely didn't understand why anyone might dislike the twist in passengers and that he blames a single critic for linking the film to date rape. He just thinks it's completely unfair that anybody thinks that about hIs wonderful, lovely movie.

Rock-4.jpg

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

I'm pretty excited for Blade Runner 2049. I think Denis Villeneuve will do a great job. He seems to be able to stand up to executive meddling much better than Ridley Scott. He was able to do Arrival without having to put in a big flashy action sequence. I think he'll be able to keep a tone and pacing that's right for Blade Runner.

I am curious about Wonder Woman. This is the only DCEU I kind of care about and want to succeed. And I really hope Patty Jenkins was able to do a good job. I am still unsure of Gal Gadot. They really haven't shown much of her acting in the trailers. That little girl who plays young Diana seems to be more charismatic in her line deliveries than Gal.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I think the one I'm looking forward to the most in the next month or two is Colossal. Marvel's output has been trending toward franchise cookie-cutter in way that really detracts enjoyment for me lately (the GotG-style music references in Dr. Strange were probably the most emblematic of this), so I'm not particularly enthused about Guardians 2, Spidey, and Thor.

A weird, whimsical 'getting your life back together while also moonlighting as a kaiju' movie, however, definitely piques my interest.

Baby Driver as well for Edgar Wright reasons that are self-evident.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Oh snap, The Handmaiden is free on Amazon Prime.

Seems like good Easter entertainment.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Rewatched inception.

What a movie. The rotating hallway scene is still jaw dropping as always.

This discussion has been closed.