As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: YOU MANIACS!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Tonight i watched the 2017 sci-fi horror hit Life, aka Commander Astronaut vs the Genius Martian Death Squid.

The death squid is named Calvin. It plays finger-tickles with a scientist and then eats his thinly-sketched astronaut friends. The movie contains a very dramatic reading of Goodnight Moon. This is a film that someone made and thought was a good idea. It was not a good idea.

Here, let me just spoil the ending and save you the trouble:
    The death squid eats all of humanity. The end.

I've seen worse movies, but this thing is pretty stupid and brings nothing to the table. Go watch Alien instead.

Damn, I actually liked it quite a bit. But then again, reading this thread has convinced me that I have terrible movie opinions.

It's okay, we all do.

To wit, Hudson Hawk is on right now, and I will always stop and watch Hudson Hawk.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Has it ever been confirmed the Cloverfield monster is an alien? I know it's invulnerability is kinda sorta justified by being a deep sea dweller adapted to the extreme pressure.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The LEGO Movie is a buy, The LEGO Batman Movie is a rental.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the time element of Scott Pilgrim is another problem

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Tonight i watched the 2017 sci-fi horror hit Life, aka Commander Astronaut vs the Genius Martian Death Squid.

The death squid is named Calvin. It plays finger-tickles with a scientist and then eats his thinly-sketched astronaut friends. The movie contains a very dramatic reading of Goodnight Moon. This is a film that someone made and thought was a good idea. It was not a good idea.

Here, let me just spoil the ending and save you the trouble:
    The death squid eats all of humanity. The end.

I've seen worse movies, but this thing is pretty stupid and brings nothing to the table. Go watch Alien instead.

Damn, I actually liked it quite a bit. But then again, reading this thread has convinced me that I have terrible movie opinions.

It's okay, we all do.

To wit, Hudson Hawk is on right now, and I will always stop and watch Hudson Hawk.

That simply shows you're a person of distinction and taste.

Who wouldn't want to eat microwave sushi, naked, in the back if a Cadillac with Leonardo do Vinci?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Someone opposed to star swinging.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    If you are a 500 foot tall monster, you get a pass.

To a 500 foot monster, a sabot round is still essentially an M16's .223. Which will fuck a person, even in body armor, right up

Godzilla gets a pass because the creature has had sixty years of varying mythos showing that it's entirely unnatural. Basically cthulhu.

The weird prawn chihuahua from Cloverfield has no such background and displays no anomalous attributes other than being a plot device in a really stupid movie.

Whatever is in Life has even less excuse.

Even the Alien can be killed with fire and bullets and such. Same with the Predator, even the Terminator.

The rule should be "if it doesn't bleed, it's dumb as balls."

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    To a 500 ft tall monster a sabot round might not be a .223 equivalent. Use a rhino or elephant as your example creature, not a human.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Now I'm wondering how many people firing m16s it would take to kill a rhino or elephant

And I very badly don't wanna look that up.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Someone opposed to star swinging.

Something different makes me laugh every time I watch it.

The Pope hitting his tv with the Ferula because Mr. Ed is static'ing out just seemed really funny this time.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    A 500 foot monster has to be made from some kind of super material or have reality warping powers just to be able to move around.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The muzzle energy of a sabot round from a main battle tank is insane. Even if the scale is off, the energy of the rounds is something like three orders of magnitude above something like a .50 calibre rifle, and designed to penetrate multiple feet of steel armor. Basically, they should still be able to really fuck up a giant monster, and that's to say nothing for things like big surface-to-surface missiles the size of telephone poles or rocket artillery. Pacific Rim is one of the only monster movies where they don't just hand-wave away the fact that humans could totally kill a giant monster with conventional weapons, the setting just the downside of poisoning everything around when they do it that way.

Shin Godzilla got close to doing a good job with the whole issue as well before the laughably idiotic bit of turning Godzilla into a laser disco ball of death. Godzilla evolves up a couple times is able to shrug off tank rounds and moderately-sized missiles, but things like high-precision bunker-buster bombs still hurt him pretty badly. Would've really improved being able to buy in to the movie mentally, if Godzilla's following response hadn't been the sudden development of long-range high-precision radar and shooting lasers from every pointy bit on his body.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Kaiju movies get a pass because they feature creatures that are so much larger than anything we can relate to that you can kind of just make shit up to large extent. As was mentioned, even allowing them to move around is a gross violation of the laws of biology as we understand them, so making them immune to conventional weapons isn't asking too much more.

As with any other kind of movie, if you're pausing to wonder about the plausibility of some point of science, either that genre of movie isn't your bag, or the movie has already fucked up in some way to lose you.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, that's why I feel Shin Godzilla is such a shame. It gives a progression of the threat that lets the viewer buy into what Godzilla ends up as (unless somebody goes into the viewing already rejecting everything about the premise), takes us to a point of holy shit that's devastating, then makes the whole thing laughably bad with a bunch of spine lasers.

I've watched a ton of monster movies good and bad and when something like that loses somebody like me, it's a pretty major misstep. Which is so disappointing, because I dug the hell out of the fact that the movie was about the amazing feats humanity can accomplish when they unite instead of bickering. If the bit with Godzilla doing a pretty damn good job of impersonating a nuclear bomb had been as far as they went for destructive ability, it would've been fine, but instead they had to one-up and then one-one-up themselves in the same film.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    FroThulhu wrote: »

To a 500 foot monster, a sabot round is still essentially an M16's .223. Which will fuck a person, even in body armor, right up

Godzilla gets a pass because the creature has had sixty years of varying mythos showing that it's entirely unnatural. Basically cthulhu.

The weird prawn chihuahua from Cloverfield has no such background and displays no anomalous attributes other than being a plot device in a really stupid movie.

Even the Alien can be killed with fire and bullets and such. Same with the Predator, even the Terminator.

I was irked by both how indestructible the alien was, and how omniscient it was.
    Being hardy? Okay. Shrugging off protracted point-blank attacks with a welding torch? That was a bit much.

When it figured out how to use a sharp object to pierce its way out of the little holding box? That's cool. The way it just magically understood physics and American space technology, and seemed to know the layout of a giant space station so it always could find exactly what it needed when it needed it? Fuck that, that's stupid.

Edit: I was also hoping it would get bigger in the end. After it ate Obvious Snack Mouse, i was like, "Oh hey, after eating five astronauts that fucker is gonna be huge!" Nope. I think having this twenty foot tall hulking death squid at the end would have given the film a better sense of escalation than "oh, now it kinda has a face, i guess?"

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's why I feel Shin Godzilla is such a shame. It gives a progression of the threat that lets the viewer buy into what Godzilla ends up as (unless somebody goes into the viewing already rejecting everything about the premise), takes us to a point of holy shit that's devastating, then makes the whole thing laughably bad with a bunch of spine lasers.

I've watched a ton of monster movies good and bad and when something like that loses somebody like me, it's a pretty major misstep. Which is so disappointing, because I dug the hell out of the fact that the movie was about the amazing feats humanity can accomplish when they unite instead of bickering. If the bit with Godzilla doing a pretty damn good job of impersonating a nuclear bomb had been as far as they went for destructive ability, it would've been fine, but instead they had to one-up and then one-one-up themselves in the same film.

The monster in Shin Godzilla is not supposed to be realistic; it's supposed to be absurd, to counterpoint the absurdity of the human response to it. That movie is a comedy.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Now I'm wondering how many people firing m16s it would take to kill a rhino or elephant

And I very badly don't wanna look that up.

I understand the commonest poacher tactic to be just blasting the poached animal with AKs

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Any assault rifle round can kill any land animal on the planet in one shot. There was a show on the Discovery channel (I think) where they had to put down an elephant because a single round shattered its femur and it was immobilized and starving to death. These are rounds designed to penetrate steel body armor, hide and bone isn't going to stop them.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular

I was irked by both how indestructible the alien was, and how omniscient it was.
    Being hardy? Okay. Shrugging off protracted point-blank attacks with a welding torch? That was a bit much.

When it figured out how to use a sharp object to pierce its way out of the little holding box? That's cool. The way it just magically understood physics and American space technology, and seemed to know the layout of a giant space station so it always could find exactly what it needed when it needed it? Fuck that, that's stupid.

Edit: I was also hoping it would get bigger in the end. After it ate Obvious Snack Mouse, i was like, "Oh hey, after eating five astronauts that fucker is gonna be huge!" Nope. I think having this twenty foot tall hulking death squid at the end would have given the film a better sense of escalation than "oh, now it kinda has a face, i guess?"

Reading these descriptions of Life, it sounds like someone took that Halloween special episode of Cowboy Bebop and just made it worse and also a feature length film.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Kaiju aren't really biological in any sense, of course - they are, almost literally, giant metaphors.
    In a similar vein, I've been somewhat amused for a while now about how adaptions of Wells' The War of the Worlds have to keep escalating the Martians' capabilities to keep them ahead of ours, and the "this is what it feels like to be on the wrong end of imperialism" boot on the right foot.
    (We clever monkeys keep out-monstering our monsters, arguably proving the original point.)

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    Any assault rifle round can kill any land animal on the planet in one shot. There was a show on the Discovery channel (I think) where they had to put down an elephant because a single round shattered its femur and it was immobilized and starving to death. These are rounds designed to penetrate steel body armor, hide and bone isn't going to stop them.

Yeah, that so kinda my takeaway from my limited understanding of modern weaponry

Scaling up from man-portable weapons, most aircraft- and tank-mounted weaponry demolish small buildings, which themselves are engineered to defy basic natural constraints. Moving up to actual bombs, such as those dropped on the Cloverfield beast, we're looking at things that flatten skyscrapers, plural, at a go.

I can buy a creature made of stuff hardy enough to move under out-scaled size. But that fucker better have a forcefield if you're telling me it can shrug off an FAE.

Also, as to the Cloverfield beast being From the Deep, and therefore super-tough... That's not how large aquatic animals work. They flat out can't survive on land, and are usually quite squishy.

Godzilla is Godzilla. Nobody else is Godzilla.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Kaiju's biggest enemy is their own bigness. They'd basically have to be magic to survive their own size.

• Options
    doomybear wrote: »

Reading these descriptions of Life, it sounds like someone took that Halloween special episode of Cowboy Bebop and just made it worse and also a feature length film.

I'll add that, outside of story and script, the movie is solidly put together. The acting, special effects, set design, score, tone, and direction are all solid to good. The creature effects are pretty cool, too. There are several moments where i was confused as to what just happened, which could have been bad plotting our just bad editing, hard to say.

But if the story and creature-logic don't lose you like they did me, or if you don't mind paper thin characters, it's not a bad creature feature. It's about 65% on RT, so a lot of people disagree with me.

• Options

I'll add that, outside of story and script, the movie is solidly put together. The acting, special effects, set design, score, tone, and direction are all solid to good. The creature effects are pretty cool, too. There are several moments where i was confused as to what just happened, which could have been bad plotting our just bad editing, hard to say.

But if the story and creature-logic don't lose you like they did me, or if you don't mind paper thin characters, it's not a bad creature feature. It's about 65% on RT, so a lot of people disagree with me.

This is also what I hear about it. I normally like creature features, but for whatever reason, Life doesn't interest me. Also, I've never seen Alien, which it seems everyone says is the best example of the 'alien on ship murders crew one by one' thing, so I've gotta get that off my enormous list of things to watch, first.

what a happy day it is
  • Options

This is also what I hear about it. I normally like creature features, but for whatever reason, Life doesn't interest me. Also, I've never seen Alien, which it seems everyone says is the best example of the 'alien on ship murders crew one by one' thing, so I've gotta get that off my enormous list of things to watch, first.

Hey

Hey, you.

Stop typing.

Go watch Alien.

• Options

Hey

Hey, you.

Stop typing.

Go watch Alien.

Addendum: unless it's night.

And then super watch it.

• Options
    If you see Life before Alien something will crawl out of your toilet in the middle of the night and take your life

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    If you see Life before Alien something will crawl out of your toilet in the middle of the night and take your life

Uh this is a bit over the top.

But yeah you should watch Alien asap!

• Options
    Prove I'm wrong

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Hey

Hey, you.

Stop typing.

Go watch Alien.

Addendum: unless it's night.

And then super watch it.

At night. With the sound up. Theatrical cut.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    It's good, but don't overhype it. Don't overhype anything. Let the film speak for itself.

I will say that the quality of Alien is not significantly diminished by knowing the spoilers about the creature. It's aces at atmosphere.

• Options
    but I don't have any convenient way to stream it and it'll show up on Netflix eventually! Probably. I do like horror, and I'll even like some of the less, uh, 'good' horror, but there's a lot to watch! Friday the 13th, the Exorcist, Phantasm, and Halloween are probably at the top of my horror movies list. When they become available on Netflix, or Amazon Prime.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    but I don't have any convenient way to stream it and it'll show up on Netflix eventually! Probably. I do like horror, and I'll even like some of the less, uh, 'good' horror, but there's a lot to watch! Friday the 13th, the Exorcist, Phantasm, and Halloween are probably at the top of my horror movies list. When they become available on Netflix, or Amazon Prime.

I picked this up at Walmart because it has all four movies on digital as well:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Twentieth-Century-Fx-Alien-Quadrilogy-Dvd-Mp-Ws/691721597

Pro tip: if you use the Walmart app to scan your receipt and have your Vudu account linked to your Walmart account, the movies will magically appear for your viewing pleasure.

Super secret pro tip: you can do that and get the theatrical cuts on your account. But there's also a paper in the DVD case that has a code for redemption. Now, one could sell/trade/give that extra code to someone. However, in this particular case, the code inside provides directors cut of the original and special edition of the next two and still theatrical of fourth so might want them both for yourself.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Just watched Gods of Egypt, not sure which is better or worse.. that or the ID4 sequel.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ID4 sequel was way worse, I at least got some laughs out of Gods of Egypt and some of the visuals are actually pretty good.

But that ID4 was painful. It was like something chopped together out of pieces of a fever dream, and not in any kind of good way.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ID4 sequel was way worse, I at least got some laughs out of Gods of Egypt and some of the visuals are actually pretty good.

But that ID4 was painful. It was like something chopped together out of pieces of a fever dream, and not in any kind of good way.

I think my biggest disappointment with ID4:2 was the shuttle with the arms.
    They explain early on that they're strong, and they're tough and they've got arms responsive enough to catch and manipulate a falling alien super gun installation on the moon.
    But later, when you see the super huge alien walking across an airfield, there was no shuttle with arms there to throw down robot manipulator hand to alien grasper claw.

WTF, guys? WTF?

• Options

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Twentieth-Century-Fx-Alien-Quadrilogy-Dvd-Mp-Ws/691721597

Pro tip: if you use the Walmart app to scan your receipt and have your Vudu account linked to your Walmart account, the movies will magically appear for your viewing pleasure.

Super secret pro tip: you can do that and get the theatrical cuts on your account. But there's also a paper in the DVD case that has a code for redemption. Now, one could sell/trade/give that extra code to someone. However, in this particular case, the code inside provides directors cut of the original and special edition of the next two and still theatrical of fourth so might want them both for yourself.

I got the Mad Max blu-ray and tried to use VUDU or Ultraviolet or whatever that was and it barely worked...The stream kept buffering and stuff. Don't know why.

But I got other stuff to watch, ya know! I can wait. Still haven't gotten around to seeing The Wailing, and I have no idea how long that's going to last on Netflix so I better get around to it, soon.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I just got done seeing Baby Driver! It was very good! The movie was clever, had a lot of little moments that paid off or were called forward, and all of the characters were really well established even with only a little screentime. The use of music and the in-universe musings about music were pretty great, and the editing was fantastically cut to match the songs. Also, the movie was really colorful and vibrant, which was nice.

Also, there was one little thing I thought was clever (pretty major spoilers):
    The line from the trailer, where Jamie Foxx says "the moment you catch feelings, you catch a bullet" was subtly referenced by how Baby killed him; Foxx never caught feelings, so he never caught a bullet; he was killed by having a metal post impale him in the chest.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

I got the Mad Max blu-ray and tried to use VUDU or Ultraviolet or whatever that was and it barely worked...The stream kept buffering and stuff. Don't know why.

But I got other stuff to watch, ya know! I can wait. Still haven't gotten around to seeing The Wailing, and I have no idea how long that's going to last on Netflix so I better get around to it, soon.

If Ultraviolet existed during WWII it would be against the Geneva Convention. What a disastrous system.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I have absolutely zero problems streaming or downloading from VUDU. Maybe it's an ISP thing?

This discussion has been closed.