As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not just Japan anymore! The whole world's watching to see [Persona 5]'s next move.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    usually the fate of the mc post game is sort of ambivalent but I'm pretty sure we know what's happening to joker after this game
    he's going to study to work towards a career in public office, right
    2 months after the game ends he turns eighteen, moves back to leblanc to finish his schooling in tokyo.
    with his excellent Knowledge and Charm he gets into a top university with his girlfriend makoto. sometime later he takes over LeBlanc from an aging Sojiro and using his college learnins' turns it into a thriving shop, and spends his days peacefully enjoying the craft taught to him by his surrogate father.

This of course, is all a cover for the double life he leads as a masterclass thief

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    re: solving mundane problems with magic
    the entire epilogue in the game is the characters of the game enacting meaningful real world change through mundane means

the game is the power fantasy of being able to solve problems and bring people to justice supernaturally, because its fun and empowering and also its the game. but still at the end it wants to show that said change is still possible through people who give a shit working hard

Yeah, the epilogue is good.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The thing I most wanted out of Haru's confidant, at some point

Haru character arc spoilers
    Was her to be angry about her father dying when you promised her, over and over, that he'd be OK and that he would love her again

And he's dead

And you fucking promised he would be OK!

Resolving that would have been one of the best character arcs in the game. Maybe the best? That it was left out is a god damn shame

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Wyborn wrote: »

Was her to be angry about her father dying when you promised her, over and over, that he'd be OK and that he would love her again

And he's dead

Resolving that would have been one of the best character arcs in the game. Maybe the best? That it was left out is a god damn shame
    See I prefer the way it was. It was so refreshing to see a character actually be understanding and logical about it. She knew it wasn't your fault. The whole get angry and then later come terms with it for stuff like that is the norm. That's how that sorta story always plays out.
    It was so nice to see it NOT take the obvious route there.

I'd say this is part of what made Haru such a cool and interesting character. Without it she loses a lot of that and becomes a little bit closer to a standard anime cliche story.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Haru is secretly the best character in the game.

Ehem, no, that title belongs to Kawakami.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    edited May 2017

And he's dead

See I prefer the way it was. It was so refreshing to see a character actually be understanding and logical about it. She knew it wasn't your fault. The whole get angry and then later come terms with it for stuff like that is the norm. That's how that sorta story always plays out.

I'd say this is part of what made Haru such a cool and interesting character. Without it she loses a lot of that and becomes a little to closer to a standard anime cliche story.

Now see, you say that, but
    Instead we get another female confidant who pours her heart out to Joker, has to deal with some form of sexual exploitation, and falls in love with him while he stares off into god damn space and tells her she's a hard worker

Having a support where someone actually gets angry at the MC would have been a very serious change of pace in the context of this game, and also her character was screaming for it? We never actually see her deal with her father's death, she's just better immediately in-game and it's not a swerve or anything! Holding the MC responsible for the consequences of his actions, or holding him to his promises, or just being willing to blame somebody, would be enormously novel in Persona 5.

But novelty isn't a good metric of quality interaction regardless. What we got was relatively bland and samey, and ended with Haru finding a father surrogate to close her character arc because paternal affection was the solution to the problems brought up in her support ranks?

It's a fucking mess as-is

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »

No, kawakami is openly the best character in the game.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »

No, kawakami is openly the best character in the game.

Fair enough.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

And he's dead

I'd say this is part of what made Haru such a cool and interesting character. Without it she loses a lot of that and becomes a little to closer to a standard anime cliche story.

Instead we get another female confidant who pours her heart out to Joker, has to deal with some form of sexual exploitation, and falls in love with him while he stares off into god damn space and tells her she's a hard worker

Having a support where someone actually gets angry at the MC would have been a very serious change of pace in the context of this game, and also her character was screaming for it? We never actually see her deal with her father's death, she's just better immediately in-game and it's not a swerve or anything! Holding the MC responsible for the consequences of his actions, or holding him to his promises, or just being willing to blame somebody, would be enormously novel in Persona 5.

But novelty isn't a good metric of quality interaction regardless. What we got was relatively bland and samey, and ended with Haru finding a father surrogate to close her character arc because paternal affection was the solution to the problems brought up in her support ranks?

Most of that stuff doesn't directly relate to her getting mad though. All that could be changed and be different/better without touching the part about her getting mad so I'm not really sure what the connection is there. Like I said I'm personally very thankful for her reaction.
    Had she just gone off blaming everything on Joker I'd have liked her far less as a character. Because ya know... Joker didn't kill her dad so it was so nice to avoid that incredibly overdone blame game arc.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

And he's dead

I don't really agree with that reading of the confidant. You give her a boost to have confidence in herself and she does the rest.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Speaking of Palace 3
    The trophy pop said this guy was Gluttony, so I guess there's a Seven Sins thing going on here.

But he seemed more greedy than gluttonous, really. I mean his whole inner world is a giant bank!

I'm judging this game.

congratulations on noticing something I didn't, because I'm kinda dense

Endgame hammers it into your head.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    well yeah, but before then I mean

• Options
    Maybe Haru's link is structured to discourage you to complete it because De Winter is such a fucking good design and her evolved Persona is my least favourite by far.

ladi.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Haru's evolved Persona is amazing and I'm very glad I got it.

• Options
    When I finished the game yesterday and the credits were rolling it made me feel wistful. As much criticism as I've leveled at the game in here, I really like it. It's good. But while I was thinking about that (around the time the voice credits were going by) I also thought about how investing 110+ hours in any game will get you really attached. It's hard not to be, after all of that.

A big part of the reason why I cared must be that the game is long, at least on some level. At the same time, though, the game is too long, in nearly every part, and it has pacing problems that I don't remember in the other two SMT games I've played.

And:

I like pretty much every character you can have as a Confidant. They are, as a rule, pretty great. They are also, as a rule, couched in scenario writing that often makes me uncomfortable, and have arcs that are exploitative, contrived, or both.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I just had my whole party get brainwashed at the same time. Then the game played itself for a little while.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    When I finished the game yesterday and the credits were rolling it made me feel wistful. As much criticism as I've leveled at the game in here, I really like it. It's good. But while I was thinking about that (around the time the voice credits were going by) I also thought about how investing 110+ hours in any game will get you really attached. It's hard not to be, after all of that.

A big part of the reason why I cared must be that the game is long, at least on some level. At the same time, though, the game is too long, in nearly every part, and it has pacing problems that I don't remember in the other two SMT games I've played.

And:

I like pretty much every character you can have as a Confidant. They are, as a rule, pretty great. They are also, as a rule, couched in scenario writing that often makes me uncomfortable, and have arcs that are exploitative, contrived, or both.

What were the other SMT games you played? P5 has probably the most tedious section of an SMT game I've ever seen, and this is coming from a guy who lost months of his life to IMAGINE.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'm relatively new to the series still. I played Persona 4 and SMT4 back in like... 2014 or so?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    was Persona Q any good? I never got around to it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    it was fine

gameplay was pretty dang fun, story was thoroughly mediocre

the characters were all caricatures of themselves, and the majority of the plot revolved around Zen and Rei, who were rather dull

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    This was my first SMT game and I thought there were parts that dragged (I hated palaces 3 and 5 and thought 7 could have used a haircut) but on the whole I really enjoyed it. I'm torn between thinking it could have cut out a ton of fat to bring the runtime down and feeling that the fact that I spent so much time bullshitting with the characters in mundane low stakes scenarios that the ending hit a lot harder than it might have otherwise.

I'm also very tempted to snag a PSTV and Persona 4 but I doubt my ability to hang in for another full persona experience so quickly. Might just give it sixth months and fire up NG+

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Persona 4 is excellent (though I played the PS2 version, not Golden, which I hear is pretty different in places) but Persona games are heavy faire, doing one right after the other might well make you explode

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Made it to the end at last man what a hurricane of emotions this game was

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    This was my first SMT game and I thought there were parts that dragged (I hated palaces 3 and 5 and thought 7 could have used a haircut) but on the whole I really enjoyed it. I'm torn between thinking it could have cut out a ton of fat to bring the runtime down and feeling that the fact that I spent so much time bullshitting with the characters in mundane low stakes scenarios that the ending hit a lot harder than it might have otherwise.

I'm also very tempted to snag a PSTV and Persona 4 but I doubt my ability to hang in for another full persona experience so quickly. Might just give it sixth months and fire up NG+

Do that first thing, but after a couple palate cleanser games.

rhylith on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    was Persona Q any good? I never got around to it

Hope you like jokes about how somebody you've never met before really likes food

Kinda-shit writing aside, though, the gameplay is super fun. Puzzle-heavy dungeon-crawl goodness.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I wonder if the 5 cast will start getting spinoffs, since I'm sure it has already well outsold 4

and I can already start to see how they're going to way exaggerate these characters in those, what specific trait

Ryuji will be loud, Ann will be ditzy, Yusuke will be oblivious, Makoto will be uptight, Futaba will be 100x more "quirky" and referential, and Haru...well, maybe Haru will actually come out better in the spinoffs actually

I like a lot of the P4 spinoffs as games but yeesh, the character work is not exactly sterling in them

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    I just hope joker isn't just the typical cool collected leader guy in any possible spin-off/sequel

• Options
    I just hope joker isn't just the typical cool collected leader guy in any possible spin-off/sequel

I would very much be okay with the spinoffs writing the canonical Joker as the one who walks up to Sojiro and immediately says "please take care of me"

"Beep boop" and the attic prison, all canon lines

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    the thing you get the most from joker's links is that he is absolutely happy to let people dig their own graves in funny social situations

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Joker needs to be the dead pan pun lord

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Haru is a sociopath

This isn't even me joshing

Enjoy her Mementos dialogue!

I didn't end up picking up on this at all. COuld you elaborate on what you mean?

Haru has... thoughts, shall we say, about shadows.
    tumblr_opv05zAQ6e1wn6hn2o1_1280.png

qBL7aEFl.jpg

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I would very much be okay with the spinoffs writing the canonical Joker as the one who walks up to Sojiro and immediately says "please take care of me"

"Beep boop" and the attic prison, all canon lines

Also canon: (November spoilers, kinda)
    Ryuji: "It's not like this place has very many customers anyway."

Joker: "I'm telling Boss."

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The great thing about disliking Ryuji is that the game gives you so many opportunities to act on that dislike

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Ryuji is fine, he's no Yosuke

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Ryuji is fine, he's no Yosuke

Yeah, like, outside of the occasional HAHA JOKES ON YOU LADIES RYUJI'S OUR OTAKU PERV STAND-IN moments, Ryuji is fine, albeit a little less interesting than the other characters

He doesn't really change so much over the game as some of the others do

He's not my favourite but sometimes it almost feels like they were trying to do a bit of a Yosuke Remix with him - now with significantly less homophobia

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ryuji is actually less bad than Yosuke, IMO.

For one thing, Ryuji starts to become self-aware of his behavior and apologizes for it.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Ryuji is just a dumb teen boy, which is way easier to deal with than yosuke

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Ryuji character spoilers (Whole game)
    I liked Ryuji the least when he was a dick to Morgana for, like, no reason whatsoever

• Options
    Morgana abuses Ryuji the entire game though.

ladi.png
This discussion has been closed.