As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I find it very interesting that the fiction they decided to highlight was about the coup...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Actually, now that I think about it, I could see some of the new packs used as extra prize support for the Launch events too. Run the second event as a Swiss instead of Open Play, and then say, the winner gets the next pack to come out next week for free.

Heck, you could probably do a tournament every week like that. And since you’ll have to come back next week to get your prize... might as well play again...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Actually, now that I think about it, I could see some of the new packs used as extra prize support for the Launch events too. Run the second event as a Swiss instead of Open Play, and then say, the winner gets the next pack to come out next week for free.

Heck, you could probably do a tournament every week like that. And since you’ll have to come back next week to get your prize... might as well play again...

... I really like this. Yoink!

Edit: And my store is onboard.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Quick note: My players just pointed out to me, correctly, that the Imperial Summons just requires a legal deck of AT LEAST 2 cores, so I'm going around and correcting my mistakes. So 3 core decks are fine. :)

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Quick note: My players just pointed out to me, correctly, that the Imperial Summons just requires a legal deck of AT LEAST 2 cores, so I'm going around and correcting my mistakes. So 3 core decks are fine. :)

Based on how many people misread that my LGS owner and I are convinced FFG quietly changed that file last Saturday.

I just checked a file I downloaded on the 5th, and it says at least as well. Maybe that is why they weren't included in the OP boxes, it was a change after the initial event announce?

Eh, whatever. More power to the players!

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I find the release cycle pretty exciting. It'll be nice to have choices to make right out of the gate.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I've been catching up on the fiction since I figured I should. I think I lucked out with the Crane choice. Most of the other clan champions are dorks. Six stories in, the only ones I've really liked is her and Hida.

Mikey CTS wrote: »
    I find the release cycle pretty exciting. It'll be nice to have choices to make right out of the gate.

It's kind of amazing how negative people have been. Yes, it's suddenly $90 more of product available. But it's not like some rare is going to slip through your fingers. If things are constrained, just get the packs you need - no one is going to be at a competitive advantage. But this, combined with needing multiple cores, just seems to be sending people into an uproar.

I sympathize, I get it. But it's still cheaper than most card games.

It's kind of amazing how negative people have been. Yes, it's suddenly $90 more of product available. But it's not like some rare is going to slip through your fingers. If things are constrained, just get the packs you need - no one is going to be at a competitive advantage. But this, combined with needing multiple cores, just seems to be sending people into an uproar.

Cheaper than any other game that uses boosters instead of the LCG model. Also, if you were trying to get a new player on board after six months, guess what, you'd be in this exact same scenario! I don't see the big deal in light of that.

If anything this is a massive favor to anyone new or on the fence. Instead of looking at just the core game and making a decision based on that to buy three cores, just buy one or two. Then in short order you'll be able to see what's available. You can proxy the cards or test them on TTS or ringteki. And then decide if the complete game is for you, not just the core game. And then just buy what you need!

edited October 2017

Another concern might be that FFG doesn't have a great track record with releasing backlogged materials when there is a shortage after the initial first printing. If you don't get yours during that first run, chances are you won't get another chance to pick it up for six to eight months between pressings. So if you miss a week here or there, based on the hype this is gotten, you may just be SOL for quite some time.

Mikey CTS on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    FFG seems determined to not be undersupplied for this. They could still underestimate, of course, but they are expecting it to be huge out of the gate and planning for that.

BTW, for those that are going to PAX Unplugged to play in the Grand Kotei, looks like you can pre-register for the event.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    BTW, for those that are going to PAX Unplugged to play in the Grand Kotei, looks like you can pre-register for the event.

I'll be there if anyone else will.

What is this I don't even.

Already did that earlier this week! I think it's pretty reasonable to get to the second round and get that swag too. The next cut is freaking hard. You need like four straight up wins and two modified out of seven games. If you're crab or phoenix you better start grinding out wins faster. You can only apply at most two modified wins to your total. You need to be CRUSHING fools to make it to day two.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Just got my first core set, will probably need to wait a few weeks for sets 2 and 3, so I may as well learn how to play with the 1.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Is there an OCTGN style app for this game yet, because real life is making it more and more likely that's the only way I'm going to be able to play this game

edited October 2017
    Oh man, played my first two-core game last night versus Phoenix.

I think that’s the most number of times I’ve had Shameful Display fire in a game. Something like four times? Kept on saving the province.

Goddamn a honored Tsukune is a terror.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Random thought while sorting out all my cards finally, but it sure would've been grand if they'd built these boxes to a size that could store cards, rather than in a shape that is ultimately pointless and I'll probably end up throwing away and just using card-sized boxes.

Does anyone have anything that they think is a particularly clever storage solution? I've been eyeballing some of those multi-part leather boxes that can store all sorts of gubbins.

• VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Oh man, played my first two-core game last night versus Phoenix.

I think that’s the most number of times I’ve had Shameful Display fire in a game. Something like four times? Kept on saving the province.

Goddamn a honored Tsukune is a terror.

I was able to honor my Togashi Yokuni, all voltron'd out. He was a 15/12 that doesn't tap after defending (The Mountain Does Not Fall) and duels. It was awesome. That combined with reprieve and the monk who steals fate, and that guy was a MONSTER. casted him turn 2, he stood there the entire game. Reprieve is an excellent card, I'd definitely recommend a crab splash in Dragon.

League of Legends:Varega
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Random thought while sorting out all my cards finally, but it sure would've been grand if they'd built these boxes to a size that could store cards, rather than in a shape that is ultimately pointless and I'll probably end up throwing away and just using card-sized boxes.

Broken Token and Go7Gaming both make storage solutions that turn the box into a proper storage unit. Broken Token uses an angled design that sacrifices flexibility for a slimmer profile, and includes a rubber band to keep the box closed. Go7Gaming has a straight vertical design that is much more flexible, and has the ability to slot an add-in for small cards (back when Conquest used them). Both organizers come with a token box to fill in the middle. I prefer Go7Gaming personally, but it is pretty much a personal choice.
    Does anyone have anything that they think is a particularly clever storage solution? I've been eyeballing some of those multi-part leather boxes that can store all sorts of gubbins.

I have been using a Unicorn dice bag for my tokens, but it is a bit annoying because everything mixes. Ultimate Guard has a deck + token combo that is pretty nice. Best solutions I've seen are actually some older L5R boxes, but I am sure those are hard to get ahold of.

Farangu wrote: »
    Is there an OCTGN style app for this game yet, because real life is making it more and more likely that's the only way I'm going to be able to play this game

I think you can download it for OCTGN. There is also tabletop simulator and mahois.fun which is jinteki.net for L5R (warning, buggy right now). Use the L5R discord to find games.

It's not clever but binders. Just like for Netrunner put core/big boxes in one and then two cycles to a binder. When rotation comes, just move the binder out with it. It's the easiest and fastest way to add cards especially when fiveringsdb adds a sort by number. I could also see clan by clan binders but then you have to shell out for eight binders at once and it'll be annoying to rotate.

I’ve got a go7 tray coming for a core box. I think I’m going with that this time just because I don’t really need “browsability” with a lot of the cards, since I’m not going to *need* to be able to find things in 6 of the 7 faction’s cards.

So what my plan is that, since it’s a two-row tray, have all of the Dynasty cards on one row, sorted by faction, and the other row for Conflict cards.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna use my Terminal Directive box to store my L5R cards in. The L5R boxes are too short and I don't like the idea of it not closing properly anyway. Just gotta see if anyone makes dividers for the TD box already.

I think I'm gonna use my Terminal Directive box to store my L5R cards in. The L5R boxes are too short and I don't like the idea of it not closing properly anyway. Just gotta see if anyone makes dividers for the TD box already.

https://go7gaming.com/product/storage-for-netrunner-terminal-directive/

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    If you can get your hands on an old Forgotten Legacy box, they make a great storage choice.

cckerberos.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I had a Broken Token insert I bought for Arkham Horror before it outgrew my box, it fits 3x Core and tokens / everything else (including two sleeved decks) perfect. So, it will last until the first chapter pack hits and I have to move to Hobby Lobby box.

I may still keep using it for my sleeved decks since I want to keep two built. At least until I find a better solution.

I mean, I just sorted everything into one of the thousands of card boxes I have. Those plain, white card boxes, with cardboard dividers. I like the idea of repurposing the boxes but they don't look efficient to me.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, I just sorted everything into one of the thousands of card boxes I have. Those plain, white card boxes, with cardboard dividers. I like the idea of repurposing the boxes but they don't look efficient to me.

Bury me in my 800-count white cardboard boxes.

They used to print those with art on them, at least for Magic, but they stopped at some point and I haven't seen one since.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I've still got my old boxes from the Clan seasons tournaments, so I'll probably just use those. I do like the idea of binders though, so that's a possibility.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    admanb wrote: »

Bury me in my 800-count white cardboard boxes.

They used to print those with art on them, at least for Magic, but they stopped at some point and I haven't seen one since.

I like the idea of more clever storage. The custom mdf ones are nice but I'm not sure if they're more efficient. Binders are certainly strong organization, but cumbersome. No good answer really.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I played my first real game today and got totally wrecked. I was playing with all the default Phoenix cards against a Crane splashed with Dragon. I had a few play errors but the real problem was my deck construction. Still, I just couldn't get any momentum started, and it seemed like the Crane could just pile on the honor and easily bat aside all of my tricks. We'll see next week if my improved deck with a little splash of Crab fairs any better.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I played my first real game today and got totally wrecked. I was playing with all the default Phoenix cards against a Crane splashed with Dragon. I had a few play errors but the real problem was my deck construction. Still, I just couldn't get any momentum started, and it seemed like the Crane could just pile on the honor and easily bat aside all of my tricks. We'll see next week if my improved deck with a little splash of Crab fairs any better.

1 core, or full legal decks?

Three core baby! I went in big.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I also settled on three core. Also pre-ordered for the upcoming hyper-cycle, too. Back in the day, I was a Scorpion & Mantis player, so I think I'll try to lean towards the more honorable clans this time. Already got a Crane deck that testing has pleased me fairly well.

I'm not a big fan of Scorpian myself, but with the high glory cards that Phoenix has I think it'll be a tough match-up for me and so I'm building it as my secondary. I think I'll build Lion as a tertiary for similar reasons.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I also settled on three core. Also pre-ordered for the upcoming hyper-cycle, too. Back in the day, I was a Scorpion & Mantis player, so I think I'll try to lean towards the more honorable clans this time. Already got a Crane deck that testing has pleased me fairly well.

Oh my. You've made such a wonderful decision. Please do not hesitate to flag down a Doji if there's anything at all you need.

I'm not a big fan of Scorpian myself, but with the high glory cards that Phoenix has I think it'll be a tough match-up for me and so I'm building it as my secondary. I think I'll build Lion as a tertiary for similar reasons.

I wavered between Crane and Phoenix. Scorpion seems real strong no matter the match-up. Like, their card pool is crazy good. I'll still build a deck so my buddy, a old school Scorpion loyalist, can play for nostalgia's sake.

For my secondary I'm thinking Lion or Unicorn, but Unicorn's pool doesn't inspire much and I've always disliked the Ponies. The old Cavalry rules just felt like cheating. Now Lion splashing Unicorn for Captive Audience and Spyglass? I think I can dig that. I'm splashing Phoenix in my Crane so I can run Pacifism and Magnificent Kimono.

I wavered between Crane and Phoenix. Scorpion seems real strong no matter the match-up. Like, their card pool is crazy good. I'll still build a deck so my buddy, a old school Scorpion loyalist, can play for nostalgia's sake.

For my secondary I'm thinking Lion or Unicorn, but Unicorn's pool doesn't inspire much and I've always disliked the Ponies. The old Cavalry rules just felt like cheating. Now Lion splashing Unicorn for Captive Audience and Spyglass? I think I can dig that. I'm splashing Phoenix in my Crane so I can run Pacifism and Magnificent Kimono.

Scorpion or Dragon splash is by far and away the most popular Crane splashes. If you want to go full on control, you get Forged Edict and Calling in Favors (Fiery Madness also being an okay pull). Tempo Crane likes to pull some combo of Let Go, Mirumoto's Fury, and Tattooed Wanderer.

Kimono is fairly high risk reward and we don't need that much help honoring anyways with 3 court games, 3 Way of, and things like Brash Samurai and Savvy Politician. Pacifism is kind of expensive and isn't super helpful in all matchups like Fury can be.