The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

12122232527

Posts

  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    edited November 14
    Neat, got a package today from Team Covenant with my sub stuff in it. Let's crack that package...

    ...

    ...what?

    uXSOmWj.jpg

    uhh. Praise the Sun, indeed?

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    Did you pay for all of those or did they send them erroneously?

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    Apparently it was a weird system glitch, and I didn’t pay for the extras. It may have been related to me setting up my ANR subscriptions at the same time, who knows.

    They told me to just keep the extras, and the extra Fate counters too. (They sent five of them, one for each pack.)

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
    tzeentchling
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    Ooh those fate counters are nice. I would have bought them if they made them available in a non ridiculous way.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    Oh my god I just had the best turn 1 of all time. Choose to go second. It's Phoenix. He flops over double Tsukune and immediately plays all fate on her and discards the other one to add fate. I play Hotaru with two fate and pass to gain a fate, leaving me at two. I have Fallen in Battle and Katana in hand. Please lord, give me a Mirumoto's Fury. I draw it. He contemplates attack. Please, if there is a god, let him go military. There is a god. Defend with Hotaru, Mirumoto's Fury him. He bows. Equip katana.

    "Do you have that card that kills someone if you win by five?"
    "Yes."
    "Oh. I didn't think people played that card."
    "Yeah it's pretty ridiculous in Crane actually."
    "Oh. I think I just lose then."
    "Maybe."

    He passes. I pass. I show him the FiB. He concedes.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
    Fry
  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    Why would you concede that early?!

    Grr. This game is swingy by design. If that is turn 1, then there likely won't be much more happening that turn. Keep. Going!

    *sighs*

    Still, awesome turn!

    iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Clan champs first turn I see a lot and it is almost always a mistake. Numbers of gives you more rings so they end up dishonoured or voided etc

    ArcticLancer
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Not even just a mistake, but going so hard-in on it. Like, keep the 2nd copy until you know you're going to maintain the first on the board. :/

  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Why would you concede that early?!

    Grr. This game is swingy by design. If that is turn 1, then there likely won't be much more happening that turn. Keep. Going!

    *sighs*

    Still, awesome turn!

    Yeah, I don't understand it. In a real tournament with prizes on the line I assume you're not going to concede so quickly, so you better learn how to play from behind instead of just instantly going on tilt. The game has a constantly evolving board state and you don't have to worry about not drawing into your economy if/when you do end up getting your good cards, so you might as well play it out. In fact, it's probably more useful to learn how to generate a win out of adversity than when everything is going right.
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Clan champs first turn I see a lot and it is almost always a mistake. Numbers of gives you more rings so they end up dishonoured or voided etc

    I agree with this for the most part. I only played the Hotaru because of the above potential line of play and the fact that double voiding or double firing would have probably been my best option to mitigate Tsukune if he didn't wander into FiB. I do feel Tsukune is an exception though because she does generate those rings. He's looking at a potential turn where he fires off three rings, or at least two if I successfully defend. Even if she is dishonored, just sitting there doing nothing except getting you the favor and two rings is pretty strong.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    "Never concede" is something I picked up from Warmachine, where you can be way behind but if your opponent makes a mistake you can assassinate their caster and win. I've also been frustrated by people who concede games when they still have a path to victory - my best friend does that a lot. Losing doesn't take much longer than conceding. At worse you lose but learn something from the game.

    Unlike those games, L5R has a fluid board state so it is even more important to play it out. Stay calm and think about how you could have played better.

    Athenor
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    New fiction's up: Service and Sacrifice.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Why would you concede that early?!

    Grr. This game is swingy by design. If that is turn 1, then there likely won't be much more happening that turn. Keep. Going!

    *sighs*

    Still, awesome turn!

    Yeah, I don't understand it. In a real tournament with prizes on the line I assume you're not going to concede so quickly, so you better learn how to play from behind instead of just instantly going on tilt. The game has a constantly evolving board state and you don't have to worry about not drawing into your economy if/when you do end up getting your good cards, so you might as well play it out. In fact, it's probably more useful to learn how to generate a win out of adversity than when everything is going right.
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Clan champs first turn I see a lot and it is almost always a mistake. Numbers of gives you more rings so they end up dishonoured or voided etc

    I agree with this for the most part. I only played the Hotaru because of the above potential line of play and the fact that double voiding or double firing would have probably been my best option to mitigate Tsukune if he didn't wander into FiB. I do feel Tsukune is an exception though because she does generate those rings. He's looking at a potential turn where he fires off three rings, or at least two if I successfully defend. Even if she is dishonored, just sitting there doing nothing except getting you the favor and two rings is pretty strong.

    Just to be clear, I wasn't criticising you. It was more a statement of belief for discussion.
    I think clan champs turn one rarely goes well, but appreciate sometimes you have no options.
    I appreciate what you are saying about the Phoenix champ being different as she's good even when nothing has happened, but her getting dishonoured and then voided is still brutal for a 7 fate cost. Getting Earth and Air to trigger I don't think cuts it. While this doesn't always happen, I generally think it happens more than not because of the numbers advantage.

  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    New fiction's up: Service and Sacrifice.

    These seem to be getting better. I wonder if this was modified any by the story choice, or if we are still playing out the "Setup?"

    Read over Toturi's L5R wiki page to see how things differed from the original story. Biggest thing I noted (beyond the stuff we already knew) was the arranged marriage happening when they were 8, as opposed to babies.

    iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    Good article on the logic behind the roles chosen:

    https://thoughts5r.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/roley-poley/

    iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Why would you concede that early?!

    Grr. This game is swingy by design. If that is turn 1, then there likely won't be much more happening that turn. Keep. Going!

    *sighs*

    Still, awesome turn!

    Yeah, I don't understand it. In a real tournament with prizes on the line I assume you're not going to concede so quickly, so you better learn how to play from behind instead of just instantly going on tilt. The game has a constantly evolving board state and you don't have to worry about not drawing into your economy if/when you do end up getting your good cards, so you might as well play it out. In fact, it's probably more useful to learn how to generate a win out of adversity than when everything is going right.
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Clan champs first turn I see a lot and it is almost always a mistake. Numbers of gives you more rings so they end up dishonoured or voided etc

    I agree with this for the most part. I only played the Hotaru because of the above potential line of play and the fact that double voiding or double firing would have probably been my best option to mitigate Tsukune if he didn't wander into FiB. I do feel Tsukune is an exception though because she does generate those rings. He's looking at a potential turn where he fires off three rings, or at least two if I successfully defend. Even if she is dishonored, just sitting there doing nothing except getting you the favor and two rings is pretty strong.

    Just to be clear, I wasn't criticising you. It was more a statement of belief for discussion.
    I think clan champs turn one rarely goes well, but appreciate sometimes you have no options.
    I appreciate what you are saying about the Phoenix champ being different as she's good even when nothing has happened, but her getting dishonoured and then voided is still brutal for a 7 fate cost. Getting Earth and Air to trigger I don't think cuts it. While this doesn't always happen, I generally think it happens more than not because of the numbers advantage.

    Oh I didn't take it as criticism. Like I said, I mostly agree: you better have a real good reason/ability to protect it if you're going to do it. This is especially ridiculous for him to do against a faction that has Noble Sacrifice. You need to have counters or something to cover for your champion, and really I would say anything less than a break and three rings (one from the conflict, two for the ability) is a bad turn for that Tsukune play since anything else would have gotten you something similar.

    I mean hell, he didn't have fate for Display of Power to flip a fire ring around on me or something. Fire ring to dishonor into noble sacrifice has to be your #1 fear in that scenario.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Unless it looks like your opponent can break two provinces, Tsukune with two fate and pass is a perfectly good opening for Phoenix. The key is to not actually defend or attack with her, as most options for killing her require her to be in a conflict. Your opponent gets one ring, assuming you can't stop his attack with conflict cards, and one province maybe, and you get two rings and the favor.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Unless it looks like your opponent can break two provinces, Tsukune with two fate and pass is a perfectly good opening for Phoenix. The key is to not actually defend or attack with her, as most options for killing her require her to be in a conflict. Your opponent gets one ring, assuming you can't stop his attack with conflict cards, and one province maybe, and you get two rings and the favor.

    That seems like a pretty terrible opening to me since you're going to get the worst two rings at the end of the round and potentially be looking at two broken provinces.

    I don't play Phoenix though but it seems like a nearly crippling loss of tempo considering you could try to win two rings and break some provinces at the same time with another start.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I agree, it's likely she ends up dis-honoured by Fire and down a fate by Void. Even if you get two rings, your opponent is getting two rings and two attempts to break provinces, the loss of honour from not defending is also a key factor.
    I'm sure with some dream hands, like where you went second and pass first and have Display of Power and Way of the Phoenix it's viable, but I don't think that comes up often to be considered a solid plan.

    Interestingly Kaede is a much more interesting first turn character, not necessarily good, but her ability to ignore ring effects makes her more resilient. If she can participate in multiple conflicts she's solid.

  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    Alright, this is my PAX build. I'm sleeved up and locked in now.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    In the Unicorn FB group I wrote up my (still evolving) thoughts of the clan and what its playstyle should be, and got some good feedback.

    Then I looked at my deck to see if it played to that style.. and.. nope! I wonder if that's why I am losing - I have a lot of dead cards that just don't feed into my playstyle.

    I'm also debating switching from Crab splash to.. phoenix or something. Just to see how it plays out.

    iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    Oh right, I should probably actually build a deck for a Summons on Friday.

    ...part of me wants to build some sort of stupid Yurt-recycling honor runner deck involving Rebuild.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 16
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh right, I should probably actually build a deck for a Summons on Friday.

    ...part of me wants to build some sort of stupid Yurt-recycling honor runner deck involving Rebuild.

    *whispers* don't tell anyone but I'm doing that week 4 when Way of the Chrysanthemum is out. It's going to be extremely dumb and bad.
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Alright, this is my PAX build. I'm sleeved up and locked in now.

    Hard to argue with anything here. Good luck!

    admanb on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    In the Unicorn FB group I wrote up my (still evolving) thoughts of the clan and what its playstyle should be, and got some good feedback.

    Then I looked at my deck to see if it played to that style.. and.. nope! I wonder if that's why I am losing - I have a lot of dead cards that just don't feed into my playstyle.

    I'm also debating switching from Crab splash to.. phoenix or something. Just to see how it plays out.

    The Unicorn deck I've built splashes Lion basically because For Greater Glory. It seems like the obvious choice for rush?

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    For Greater Glory is definitely potent. But.. there are other ways to rush. Crab right now is giving me resiliency. Crane might be fun for some honor shenaniganry. But.. we'll see. Haven't sat down and made decks for the other clans yet, I need to do that.

    iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I definitely think there's something to be said for Reprieve, given that Spyglass may be Unicorn's best conflict card.

  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I definitely think there's something to be said for Reprieve, given that Spyglass may be Unicorn's best conflict card.

    Reprieve is basically one focus while For Greater Glory can be 3, 5, or more focus? Yeah it also acts as a counter but I don't think that's relevant enough to make up the difference.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    edited November 16
    Scan of the For Honor & Glory story bits.

    eeeee! at the last page.

    EDIT: Also it's so much Taka-time. I think he's probably my favorite non-Mantis character.

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    Looks like they’ve got a L5R Pinny Arcade pin at the FFG booth from doing a demo, in case anyone’s at PAX Unplugged.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo


    Damnit I want.

    iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I have been aware of this since they put up the pin list (I'm already invested in Pinny Arcade so I'm a cheater :P ), and have sources whom I hope shall acquire one for me. Really don't know how easy/hard these ones might be to find down the road, but there will always be ebay if you do really want it~

  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    Bayushi Kachiko: Just as scary as you'd expect. She's in the next pack.

    5 fate, unique Scorpion
    3 military
    6 politics
    3 glory
    Courtier. Imperial.
    Action: While this caracter is participating in a POL conflict, choose a participating character with lower POL skill than this character - move the chosen character home. Then, you may bow it.
    "which of us would bid this game to end? We are nearly perfectly matched, but there can be only one victor."
    CONFLICT DECK CARD. NO INFLUENCE.

    iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kachiko card image for people who want dat art
    9G1O3H3.jpg

  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    edited November 17
    Yeah, I was too lazy to pull it out of Facebook and the artwork is the same from the 1st fiction insert. :)

    edit:
    Well that is terrifying.

    Yeah, fully fits a damned scary courtier.

    Though.. I'm kind of upset. Someone was saying it doesn't fit her personality. Then.. well.. they described a character that implied she would sleep around with her opponents by having both herself and the target go home. And that she was a lot weaker overall in military and political spheres.

    That doesn't sit well with me. I know she is a femme fatale, and a manipulator, but.. I've always known her as just the most scorpion of Scorpion.

    Athenor on
    iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Though.. I'm kind of upset. Someone was saying it doesn't fit her personality. Then.. well.. they described a character that implied she would sleep around with her opponents by having both herself and the target go home. And that she was a lot weaker overall in military and political spheres.

    That doesn't sit well with me. I know she is a femme fatale, and a manipulator, but.. I've always known her as just the most scorpion of Scorpion.

    I love that new Kachiko is an all-around Scorpion badass and the position of top lover in Scorpion has been taken by Yogo Hiroe, or as I call him "the pansexual love machine."

    She is traditionally a seductress, but that title has meant a lot of things. One of her old experienced versions was basically an unlimited Forged Edict.

  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    edited November 17
    Okay, this deck I slapped together is kinda... not good. Anyone got a fun deck I can just throw together for tonight?

    (Hard mode: 2 core + Tears.)

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking she goes straight into Dropbears?

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Giving her 3 MIL is a bit silly, IMHO.

  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So I'm thinking she goes straight into Dropbears?

    Seems like it.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to grab breakfast tomorrow or something before the kotei, holla.

    What is this I don't even.
    Athenor
Sign In or Register to comment.