As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    PMAvers wrote: »

literally posted the second I was going to. News spreads fast.

Preview images, excluding the flow of the conflict that the whole article is about:

l5c01_agasha-swordsmith.png

l5c01_ancestral-daisho.png

l5c01_togashi-initiate.png

l5c01_seeker-of-enlightenment.png

l5c01_elemental_fury.png

l5c01_isawa-masahiro.png

l5c01_shiba-peacemaker.png

l5c01_cloud-the-mind.png

l5c01_seeker-of-knowledge.png

l5c01_five-katana.png
    (Image is labeled "Five" katana, so that might break in the future as it should be "Fine" katana)

l5c01_for-shame.png

l5c01_banzai.png

Interesting note - playing the Seeker of Knowledge from the conflict deck, it looks like it entered play bowed. Also, they were only allowed to put 1 fate on it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    OOH! from that post:
    This concludes our overview of the general rules of Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game, but be sure to check out the Fantasy Flight Games Facebook page this Friday at 11 a.m. CST for our first Facebook Live Stream! Tweet your Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game questions to @FFGames on Twitter with the hashtag "#L5Rlive" to have them answered by Story Lead Katrina Ostrander and Designers Brad Andres and Nate French live on air!

Edit: The Facebook community is pointing out that the example called out the Seeker of Knowledge's ability wrong. It was played purely to get a courtier into the conflict. As it was on the defender's side, it wouldn't grant the ability of choosing a second ring.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    OOH! from that post:
    This concludes our overview of the general rules of Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game, but be sure to check out the Fantasy Flight Games Facebook page this Friday at 11 a.m. CST for our first Facebook Live Stream! Tweet your Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game questions to @FFGames on Twitter with the hashtag "#L5Rlive" to have them answered by Story Lead Katrina Ostrander and Designers Brad Andres and Nate French live on air!

Edit: The Facebook community is pointing out that the example called out the Seeker of Knowledge's ability wrong. It was played purely to get a courtier into the conflict. As it was on the defender's side, it wouldn't grant the ability of choosing a second ring.

If they weren't fucking up the rules in their own demos, it wouldn't be FFG marketing.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    OOH! from that post:

If they weren't fucking up the rules in their own demos, it wouldn't be FFG marketing.

Very true. :) They've already edited the article, apparently.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    That's probably the fastest errata we've ever gotten out of FFG.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    uh is it just me or does agasha swordsmith just let you draw every attachment in your deck

e: apparently there's a rule that says every card ability is once per turn, so I guess not

Shorty on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    uh is it just me or does agasha swordsmith just let you draw every attachment in your deck

e: apparently there's a rule that says every card ability is once per turn, so I guess not

Yeah, there was some questioning about that. All abilities are once per turn unless otherwise specified. Probably not going to be the easiest to track but they want bowing to be used elsewhere in the mechanics.

Also they errata'ed other things, like the fate being put on the conflict character doesn't appear to be limited to 1.

... I know the designers are busy, but PR should run these by the designers first.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    That's an interesting twist on the lore. It used to be that the Dragon were the ones well-known for swordsmithing. FFG seems to have decided to give that to the firebirbs this time. Makes sense. Japanese swordsmithing is highly ritualistic so it fits with their whole motiff. I always wondered what the Phoenix did for economy. Like, Crane had handcrafts, Scorpion had opium, etc.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    That's an interesting twist on the lore. It used to be that the Dragon were the ones well-known for swordsmithing. FFG seems to have decided to give that to the firebirbs this time. Makes sense. Japanese swordsmithing is highly ritualistic so it fits with their whole motiff.

I... don't see that reading of the Phoenix in any of the previews? Remember, that Agasha personality is Dragon-aligned, this is before the split.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Ah your right. I completely forget that's post-Scorpion Clan coup.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The good news is they already fixed the demo mis-explanation of the Seeker of Knowledge. I was trying to figure out what you guys were talking about them fucking up; it's gone.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The good news is they already fixed the demo mis-explanation of the Seeker of Knowledge. I was trying to figure out what you guys were talking about them fucking up; it's gone.

Baskin Robins The Internet never forgets.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Probably not going to be the easiest to track but they want bowing to be used elsewhere in the mechanics.

Shouldn't be a problem. It wasn't really an issue in the CCG, and the LCG looks like it'll have a lot less in play at any given time than the CCG usually did.

Given FFG's love of tokens, however, I'm a little surprised that they didn't include one to track it.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    If you need a quick and dirty way to track it, something I did was turn them slightly. Not a full bow, but maybe something like 30 degrees.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    As a heads-up, they're going to be doing a Q&A stream on their Facebook page starting in a few minutes.

...why on Facebook, when we all *know* they have a Twitch channel, is a mystery to everyone.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    It's started.. and they are calling it an "Episode" - so they are going to keep doing these.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    GenCon event listing's up.

Thursday, Noon: Legend of the Five Rings Inaugural Tournament & Celebration
    Event registration closes at 12:30pm on Thursday, August 17th. The Opening Celebration starts promptly at 1:00pm. Afterwards, players will receive one Core Set to construct a deck with, using the “Deckbuilding" rules provided in the Learn To Play booklet that comes in the Core Set. Once players have selected their clan they will report to tournament HQ to be entered into the tournament and receive their exclusive clan promos and participation prizes. For Rules, FAQ, and more, please visit our website.

So yeah, this one comes with a copy of the core set as part of the registration fee, so if you get into this one you probably won't have to suffer through the line and ergo the fire marshal won't get as mad.

Friday, 11 AM
    Seminar: Designing the Legend of the Five Rings LCG
    Join the Fantasy Flight Games design team as they discuss the the update from the CCG format to the LCG & how the themes of the setting informed the mechanics.

Friday, Noon: Legend of the Five Rings Tournament
    Event registration closes at 12:30pm on Friday, August 18th. The first round will begin promptly at 1:00pm. To compete, players will construct a deck from one core set using the deckbuilding rules provided in the Learn to Play booklet that comes in the core set of Legend of the Five Rings. After the Swiss rounds the Top 16 players will be selected to return Saturday, August 19th at 9:30am for the Elimination rounds! For Rules, FAQ, and more, please visit our website.

Friday, 12 PM
    The Stories & Setting of Rokugan
    Join the Fantasy Flight Games story team for a behind-the-scenes look at the art, the fiction & the world of Rokugan in the new Legend of the Five Rings LCG.

Saturday, 9 AM: Top 16.

Sunday, 9 AM: Legend of the Five Rings Casual Tournament
    Play in a Legend of the Five Rings casual tournament for fun and prizes. Registration ends at 9:30am on Sunday, August 20th. The first of three Swiss rounds begins at 10:00am. To compete, players will construct a deck from one core set using the deckbuilding rules provided in the Learn to Play booklet that comes in the core set of Legend of the Five Rings.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting that all events are 1-core.

• Options
    They only have so much stock. I don't think they'll even allow people to buy more than one core.

• Options
    If memory serves, they did something similar with the AGOT 2e launch where the tournaments only allowed a single core. Although I think the store allowed you to get two.

It's actually interesting, since shunting the people off to the CCG hall for it should help keep the Line of Doom down to hopefully a manageable level. Unless they release something else big.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I also assume they sort of want to send off the message, for the first wave of buyers, that one box is totally enough to have fun.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I also assume they sort of want to send off the message, for the first wave of buyers, that one box is totally enough to have fun.

Look, we totally aren't forcing people to buy two copies. Look at all these tournament played decks based on one core.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    The fire marshall issue has been brought up before -- FFG has a history of long lines.

• Options
    First fiction/short story's up: Her Father's Daughter.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    First fiction/short story's up: Her Father's Daughter.

Wow.. While it was definitely expositiobal in a lot of places, dropping names like they were going out of style... It was also... Damn. Well, ffg is making their mark, and I highly approve.

• Options
    Speaking of name-drops...
    Yeeeeees, Yoritomo name-drop. :D

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    On the L5R facebook group, I asked for the fiction's author to give a bit of a background and context to newcomers, and why it was such a big deal for him to get the first fiction:

Dave Laderoute:
    I've been kind sitting on this for a while now. Per my NDA with FFG, I couldn't say anything without their explicit say-so; obviously, with a by-line on a story, that doesn't really apply anymore. But, yes, I knew that I'd get the first one out of the gate, which is a tremendous honor. That said, there are other writers whose fictions are coming and, in at least a couple of cases, I think their work is better than mine--seriously.

As for my history with the game...well, I played my first game of the CCG in 1997. I've written extensively for the 4th Edition RPG; I wrote, for example, the Scorpion chapter in Great Clans, the Nothing chapter in Enemies of the Empire, the Imperial Families in Secrets of the Empire and The War of Spirits chapter in Imperial Histories. I was also Editor of the Imperial Herald for AEG for about 2 years, and was the last AEG Brand Manager for L5R (I headed-up the "Clan Path" stuff for as long as it went on, and then handled a lot of the sale of the IP to FFG).

Athenor on
  • Options
    Nice to see FFG keeping some of the old writing staff on the brand. Probably just as freelance, but still pretty cool.

• Options
    Follow-up post from Dave:
    And thanks for the many kind comments. However, I'd be remiss in NOT pointing out that this was a collaborative effort. Katrina Ostrander, the FFG Fiction Lead and Editor, had a huge part in making this story what it is. So did Erik Dahlman, and a number of beta readers, who all offered terrific contributions. Thanks to them!

I think you are right that he's freelance.

• Options
    I would be surprised if FFG has a full-time writer, period.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Speaking of name-drops...
    Yeeeeees, Yoritomo name-drop. :D
    Just knowing Da Man is alive in this version, and out pirating the great Clans makes me very happy!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Jade Throne podcast was sent an L5R card to preview:

G8u0xaSh.jpg

This appears to be one of FFG's favorite cards, especially for multiplayer games.

ffg_much-and-more-ahm.jpg

GT07_104.jpg

scouting-ahead.png

05033.png

• Options
    Does anyone know who the FFG design team is that's working this? I worked in the same building as Sabertooth Games for a few years and knew a bunch of their card game team, several of whom had been AEG before. I'm wondering if any of them survived all the transitions and sales and are working this now.

• Options
    Does anyone know who the FFG design team is that's working this? I worked in the same building as Sabertooth Games for a few years and knew a bunch of their card game team, several of whom had been AEG before. I'm wondering if any of them survived all the transitions and sales and are working this now.

Nate French (lead), Erik Dahlman, Brad Andres. Only Dahlman had any prior experience with the the CCG.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    FFG is not kidding about their push on this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh0VTaVgUVw&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    Not crazy about the stereotypical Asian accented narration.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Not crazy about the stereotypical Asian accented narration.

Me neither, but if someone were reading it straight up, would it be better or worse?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I don't see how we have any way of knowing if that's a stereotyped accent or an actual accent -- it doesn't sound unnatural or exaggerated. It actually sounds a lot like an accent a British ESL speaker would end up with.

You're pretty much fucked both ways with L5R, since it's inherently super Orientalist. All you can really do is hope that it's not actively offensive and that when they do stuff like this, they support actual east Asian actors in the process.

admanb on
  • Options
    I don't see how we have any way of knowing if that's a stereotyped accent or an actual accent -- it doesn't sound unnatural or exaggerated. It actually sounds a lot like an accent a British ESL speaker would end up with.

You're pretty much fucked both ways with L5R, since it's inherently super Orientalist. All you can really do is hope that it's not actively offensive and that when they do stuff like this, they support actual east Asian actors in the process.

I think it can be both. That is, even if it's the voice actor's natural accent, the reason he got hired for the job was because someone at FFG wanted that stereotypical sound.

You're right about the inherent Orientalism, of course. I'd kind of hoped that, FFG being a much bigger company than AEG, they'd have a greater Asian presence on the staff to kind of mitigate things, but so far it seems to be even whiter.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »

I think it can be both. That is, even if it's the voice actor's natural accent, the reason he got hired for the job was because someone at FFG wanted that stereotypical sound.

You're right about the inherent Orientalism, of course. I'd kind of hoped that, FFG being a much bigger company than AEG, they'd have a greater Asian presence on the staff to kind of mitigate things, but so far it seems to be even whiter.

FFG is not that big of a company in the grand scheme of things. And it should be noted that having a female lead of the story team's actually a rarity in the industry. Yes, I'd like to see a larger Asian influence, and maybe we will! They've hinted at hiring a lot of freelancers to help with the story team. I don't think they'll go full John Wick Presents and hire anthropology scholars for their regions, but I do expect them to try.