As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PBP] Recruitment: Mutant Year Zero

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Sorry @Egos thats my bad. I had it in my notes that you weren't done since you offered to switch with Fencingsax, your sheet as a Boss is good to go though.

So I believe that's two votes for NYC and one for London and 2 for either which puts NYC in the lead unless anyone changes their votes?

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I just want to start playing ASAP. Excited to try this system out :)

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Sorry @Egos thats my bad. I had it in my notes that you weren't done since you offered to switch with Fencingsax, your sheet as a Boss is good to go though.

Ah I assumed since he didn't say anything; it wasn't an issue.

Setting wise i like New York a bit more, but am ok with London.

It looks like The Dead Apple is the winner. We can now pick our starting location and begin to design the Ark.

edited April 2017
    Uhhh not necessarily sure how the map annotations work, but N16 maybe? I'm honestly good with whatever

El Skid on
    edited May 2017
    Do we pick map location first or what type of structure the Ark is?

Theme Park, Aquarium, Town/Federal Hall type, Modernist Museum (i.e. Guggenheim-esque) ...are some ideas.

edit: looks like we pick the ark structure type first

Egos on
    You can do it either way, obviously, if you want to be a beached ship you'll need to be on the water, or if you want to be a skyscraper you should be someplace appropriately. If no one has any objections we can go with N16 to try to get into the meat of the game faster.

edited May 2017
    We could do something like a shopping mall, right? I like the idea of hiding out in the ruins of a shopping mall- gives us lots of room to grow, lots of private areas for people to live in, and fairly defensible with few entrances/exits (some of which can just be barricaded/blocked if desired).

Is that an option, and/or would people be okay with that?

El Skid on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    We are in NYC, what about Yankee Stadium?

I'd be down for that or a baseball stadium.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Stadium could be fun, sort of a Diamond City thing.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Sure, I'm fine with Diamond City too!

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sounds good to me.

I think Yankee Stadium would be E16 which puts you in the North of the map.

At this point we have a choice, we can continue making the Ark in more detail, filling in NPCs and where each of you sleep etc or we can go directly to starting in media res and start with exploring one of the squares next to the Ark.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I like base building but I'm okay moving on if others would like to get started.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I vote for more detail

I would vote to get going. :)

I'm not really familiar with base building- I'll defer to the other players/GM on this one.

I think these are the next steps (if it helps)- I'm repeating some of what @Neaden said in the OP:

1.Create a Map of the Ark ( I can do something in illustrator or photoshop- if it would help. )
    2. Determine where the Elder and Chroniclers of Dawn Vault can be found on the Ark Map (so mark them on the smaller map)
    3. Add One or Two Boss Figures and draw where they resident on the map.The guidebook gives several examples I'll list below
    4. Develop Npcs: For NPCS each of us have relationships with, we can describe a bit more about them. Specifically : "What are the npcs like?, What do they want? etc.) ." - I don't think you're suppose to write an encyclopedia entry here, just basic info
    5. Determine Population: The book recommends in the area of 200
    6. Determine Rot-Free Water Source: examples in the book are an old well, uncontaminated creek, small purification device, collector of rainwater, old waterpipe
    7. Development Levels : Distribute 12 points across the four Development Levels of the Ark (spoilered below)
    8. The Season : Determine if it's Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter

Boss Types
    • The Despot: Is obsessed with power and loves to demonstrate it. Lets others do his dirty work. Sees enemies everywhere. Reacts with extreme violence to any threats or signs of mutiny.
    • The Commander: Drills his underlings as if they were soldiers in an army. Does not mind getting blood on his own hands every now and then- that's good for morale.
    • The Agitator: An inspiring figure who uses fiery speeches to make the People dream of a better future. Is able to rally the crowds and is often seen as a threat to other bosses.
    • The Revolutionary: Wants to topple the Elder once and for all, and create a new,fair and equal order in the Ark. Wants to ban private ownership, demote all Bosses and introduce decision making by consensus.
    • The Kingpin: Treats most of his underlings as little more than slaves- as his own private workforce. Often undertakes big and megalomaniac projects and doesn't hesitate to use violence to get it done.
    • The Bureaucrat: A low-key leader who rules by referring to the rules and commandments of the Elder. Thinks that the People should do as they always have.
    • The Cultist: Has attracted a fanatical cult to himself, and is seen as a divine being by his followers. Any doubt of the leader's wisdom is punished harshly. Cults tend to isolate themselves and are often viewed upon with suspicion by the rest of the People.
    • The Collector: Is obsessed with artifacts from the Old Age, and is constantly trying to expand his collection. Will never turn anything over to the Dawn Vault. Lives in his own world and rarely leaves his lair.
    • The Hard Worker: Prefers to stand knee-deep in the dirt and work side by side with his henchmen. Has no interest in plotting and scheming, and wants to build something new rather than dig in the past.

DEV (Development Levels)
    Divided 12 points into 4 areas: Food Supply, Culture, Technology and Warfare. Numbers below - I only included fully descriptions for scores of 0-9 and 10-19.

Scores can be increased by undertaking projects or by PCs turning in artifacts

Food Supply
    The Food Supply DEV rating determines how hard it is to find something to eat in the Ark
    • 0-9 : The struggle to find food is desperate. The people only have a meagre stockpile of food left in teh Ark and whaatever edible plants and animals individual mutants manage to grow or kill. One ration of grub is typically traded for a bullet.
    • 10-19: Starvation still isn't far away, but the People have enough grub to cover their day to day needs- as long as the harvest or the hunt isn't threatened. Typically, you can get two rations of grub in return for one bullet. Decrease the Session Body Count (page 115) by one
    Basically as you progress from 20-39 , it seems like you can get more grub for 1 bullet and less people die per session.

Culture
    The Culture DEV rating helps People understand artifacts and others remains of the Old Age (pg. 124)
    • 0-9: With the exception of the Chroniclers, the People completely lack any form of cultural expression beyond tales by the trashcan fire.
    • 10-19: Most of the People can read and write to a basic level. Some forms of cultural exprssion- like a place of worship, simple staged plays or exhibitions of scrap and artifacts- may exist

Later literacy and inclusive tolerance is developed.

Technology
    The most important use of the Technology DEV rating is to help the People to understand how artifacts are used.
    • 0-9: Apart from Gearheads, none of the People really understand technology at all. What little the Elder has taught them has largely been forgotten. Most artifacts are incomprehensible riddles.
    • 10-19: The People have achieved a basic technical knowledge of collecting artifacts from the Zone and studying them. Simple constructions, such a mill or distillery can be built.

Later on you can get a steam engine, electric lights and breech loaded guns.

Warfare
    The Warfare DEV rating determines how well the Ark can stand up against a large scale attack. (pg 114)
    • 0-9 Apart from simple barricades, the Ark is totally defenseless against enemies from the outside. Battle lvl 1.
    • 10-19 More solid fortifications, like scrap palisades and lookout towers, defend the Ark. There might be some form of watch patrols. Battle Level 2

20-29 , the Ark has a organized militia. 30-39 (battle level 3), Ark has a standing army (battle level 4)

Example Ark Map

qgGgwe.jpg

Would people be down for a quick IRC or other chat session? Seems like we could figure out the relationships and stuff like within 30 minutes, if so.

edited May 2017
    I could swing that depending on the day. Friday and Saturday evening I'm good, and pretty much all day Sunday. Or I could probably do it on my phone in which case pretty much any time.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    If you want we can do a Discord chat. I got like 4 different servers that we can use.

Discord works for me

Looks like it has an Android version so I can pretty much join in whenever it get slow at work.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I can Discord.

https://discord.gg/vDZQ4h9

We can either type it out in the RPG thread or chat in one of the voice chat rooms or do both.

GG and I are in chat if anyone else wants to come on O_O

Aw just got home and I seem to have missed it.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited May 2017
    The two of us are still on , but nobody else came on O-o

edit: though GG may be in the middle of a game

Egos on
    Sorry I was gone all evening, but glad to see people are planning. @Egos has the steps right, though they do not necessarily have to be in that order. Especially when it comes to NPCs don't feel like you have to make everyone now, new NPCs can be created as appropriate. The Ark belongs to the players, and you guys ultimately have the authority to decide what it is like, while I get the rest of the Zone.

Yeah, I was playing PUBG. But we can use the RPG thing to write stuff. But if we want to chat, we should pick some sort of time. I should be going to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 tomorrow night...

Yeah, sorry guys... I was out all night role playing :(

Did we manage to get anything discussed last night at all?

No, I just was sharing a place we could chat. We've haven't really picked a time to chat.

I'm around and generally available all day today. You'll need to @ me in Discord (or whatever creates a notification) to get my attention.

I can be on all day on my phone

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited May 2017
    If a time is given today I can likely show up

nickname is Nero on discord

Egos on
    Do people want to try and meet up in discord tonight ? I can manage if so .

I can by phone.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I can be around, yeah.

If 5-7 pm CST (6-8 pm EST, 3-5 PST) works for anyone. That would be good for me. That said I can be on later if we have night owls, also phone.