As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Heroes of the Storm 2.0] I am one with the Drafter, and the Drafter is with me.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    As someone with like 80 games on anub'arak, watching genjis dash in on full hp targets makes me cringe so hard.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    come on gul'dan

either pick the death timer extending talent

or die to a solo uther with an aba hat on

don't do both, that's just bad form

I feel like I should clarify the gul'dan was the one with the aba hat in this situation

I feel like this might actually be a hard fight for gul'dan? Like, holy shock uther would be able to put out respectable damage while still getting all his self healing and mitigation, and there's no way in hell he'll let gul'dan channel his health back. I can't see burning him down with one mana bar, and life tapping will pretty much guarantee you lose. It'd probably be better to just gtfo honestly.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Played a few games with Muradin, just love how tough he is. Enjoyed playing him when I started way back, still do!

Tried a game with Diablo and it was decidedly less fun. But that has more to do with not knowing how to play him, he's clearly not meant to tank the same way Muradin is. But I'm not sure I like D's play style that much.

Ended up buying the tank pack with my free gems. Was rewarded with a new hero (Jaina) and bought Uther with gold. I have 29 heroes now, I've spent $5 on the game.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Does Varian no longer count as a tank in QM? Got a game where our side had no tank or even bruiser, and they had Varian. It was a very lol QM game, he was basically a god due to our comp and theirs.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Does Varian no longer count as a tank in QM? Got a game where our side had no tank or even bruiser, and they had Varian. It was a very lol QM game, he was basically a god due to our comp and theirs.

Yeah because Varian "might" pick the dps ults, they count him as dps when it comes to mm rules. It's stupid.

steam_sig.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Yeah because Varian "might" pick the dps ults, they count him as dps when it comes to mm rules. It's stupid.

There's no easy choice here. Either you force him into Taunt build by classifying him as a tank or you allow him to spec as a tank in games where the opposing team doesn't have one.

Welcome to QM.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

There's no easy choice here. Either you force him into Taunt build by classifying him as a tank or you allow him to spec as a tank in games where the opposing team doesn't have one.

Welcome to QM.

More "multiclass fucks hard with QM balance".

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just bought Uther and played a few games with him. Any builds or protips?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited April 2017
    figured it out, the reason i hate genji and think he's bad for the game is that he makes positioning irrelevant. he's never out of position because his movement is outrageous, and you are never safe because he can be anywhere.

he's probably balanced in hero league because you just draft a bruiser and a cc support and you win, but he's game warping as hell in qm and it's just forcing me to play cc heavy characters yet again, just like valeera. i just feel like so many recent hero adds have made the game less fun for everyone else.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Knight_ wrote: »
    figured it out, the reason i hate genji and think he's bad for the game is that he makes positioning irrelevant. he's never out of position because his movement is outrageous, and you are never safe because he can be anywhere.

he's probably balanced in hero league because you just draft a bruiser and a cc support and you win, but he's game warping as hell in qm and it's just forcing me to play cc heavy characters yet again, just like valeera. i just feel like so many recent hero adds have made the game less fun for everyone else.

Since about Tracer they've been leaning hard, both in new heroes and in redesigns, on making characters a lot more niche with much harder counters and it's basically destroying QM a patch at a time.

It's still not near as bad as the ridiculous support-that's-not-a-healer rules though for destroying QM. Aba vs Tyrande, for example, is a fucking joke. One of these is a full healer, the other has to pick a specific spec just to even heal at all.

shryke on
    edited April 2017
    I mean, the real fun thing to me is that li ming was seen as the deathknell for old mages because her mobility was so high.

She's basically an immobile sitting duck to the overwatch heroes.

Like, I was playing Li Li earlier and took water dragon to try and pin down genji. He would engage us, I would run past him and hit R to either force him toward our base or into my dragon, and lol nope, his E range is further than the entire range of Water Dragon and better positioning. Water dragon is a gigantic ult and it still wasn't enough! Tracer can't run that far away using blinks alone, and she has to worry about pathing and walls and would be using 24 seconds of blink charges with the level 7 talent to be able to even get close. Genji has it on a 12 second cooldown that resets on kills??

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Played a few games with Muradin, just love how tough he is. Enjoyed playing him when I started way back, still do!

Tried a game with Diablo and it was decidedly less fun. But that has more to do with not knowing how to play him, he's clearly not meant to tank the same way Muradin is. But I'm not sure I like D's play style that much.

Obviously been a long time since I've played Diablo since it's been a long time since I played anyone, but something to try is playing with the order of his charge and suplex abilities. While the normal inclination is to engage a target with charge and then suplex them, this can put you in between one enemy hero and the rest of their team. Sometimes walking up to a target to suplex them behind you and then charging them to knock them into your line is a better play. You're still between the enemy and any of their teammates but your target is even more out of position.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The free hero packs got me to look into this again, and while that was cool they also gave me 1000 orbs and that was enough to buy tank lady after looking on her with envy when I played it forever ago and her never being free.

Being a coward and shooting people over walls is my jam.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I wish the announcers and voice lines were available outside the game. It'd be cool to have abathur as my notification sound for things.

Brightwing might be too difficult to explain

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    As much as I'm enjoying the game again, I feel like it was a gigantic misstep to announce D.va as the next hero release. The launch of Heroes 2.0 is a rebranding of the game, and they could have used the opportunity to release a hero that would have really galvanized the community. Imagine if the trailer had been exactly the same, with Genji doing this super-serious monologue about the mistakes he'd made in his reckless youth, and how he's learned that he doesn't have to fight alone, but instead of D.va flying in to help fight Diablo, you hear LEEEEEROOOOOOOOOY JEEENKIIIIINS and Leroy comes running in from behind, mad as a motherfucker, and just starts wrecking shit.

That would have been

hype

as

fuck

And EVERYONE would still be talking about it.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is there no hype for D.Va?

What's wrong with people that there's no hype for D.Va?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited April 2017
    milk ducks wrote: »
    As much as I'm enjoying the game again, I feel like it was a gigantic misstep to announce D.va as the next hero release. The launch of Heroes 2.0 is a rebranding of the game, and they could have used the opportunity to release a hero that would have really galvanized the community. Imagine if the trailer had been exactly the same, with Genji doing this super-serious monologue about the mistakes he'd made in his reckless youth, and how he's learned that he doesn't have to fight alone, but instead of D.va flying in to help fight Diablo, you hear LEEEEEROOOOOOOOOY JEEENKIIIIINS and Leroy comes running in from behind, mad as a motherfucker, and just starts wrecking shit.

That would have been

hype

as

fuck

I'm honestly not sure whether leeroy would be more enticing to a greater swath of people than an overwatch Character. Even d. Va

Dont get me wrong, I would have preferred the former but I have no idea the numbers of overwatch vs wow and whether a 10+ year old meme is something anyone would care about anymore.
    Skull2185 wrote: »

My response to d va getting released instead of like a billion other options

https://youtu.be/0Be8G-vGCuo

WingedWeasel on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I think it's a twofold problem.
    Firstly, Overwatch characters aren't generally as interesting as other characters. We know exactly what to expect from them insofar as existing, and we know roughly what their kit will be like since it's pretty much straight ported from the other game.
    Second, it's ANOTHER Overwatch character. And on top of the fact that two-in-a-row is some weird taboo thing the design team doesn't like to do, the Overwatch characters released so far have been some of the most powerful they've put in the game, often featuring some way they bend the entire game sideways with their mobility (while Zarya is a notable exception to the mobility bit, she's bursting with damage and clutch potential, still making her very good). I know a few of us at least are going, "Great ... is this another hero than can move and shoot?" because in all likelihood, she will be able to.

On the plus side, for all the flak I've given most of the recent hero releases, Cassia is 100% fucking great. Q feels so good. W is nice to have and the passive gives interesting team building considerations. E is fine - it's a good finisher or wonderful engage if things are busy and the other team clustered. I was picking Ball Lightning because of the renown, but having tried Valkyrie a few games I'm kinda hooked. Those pulls feel LE-GIT when you land them. Favourite hero release in a while. We need more like this.

I think it's a twofold problem.
    Firstly, Overwatch characters aren't generally as interesting as other characters. We know exactly what to expect from them insofar as existing, and we know roughly what their kit will be like since it's pretty much straight ported from the other game.
    Second, it's ANOTHER Overwatch character. And on top of the fact that two-in-a-row is some weird taboo thing the design team doesn't like to do, the Overwatch characters released so far have been some of the most powerful they've put in the game, often featuring some way they bend the entire game sideways with their mobility (while Zarya is a notable exception to the mobility bit, she's bursting with damage and clutch potential, still making her very good). I know a few of us at least are going, "Great ... is this another hero than can move and shoot?" because in all likelihood, she will be able to.

On the plus side, for all the flak I've given most of the recent hero releases, Cassia is 100% fucking great. Q feels so good. W is nice to have and the passive gives interesting team building considerations. E is fine - it's a good finisher or wonderful engage if things are busy and the other team clustered. I was picking Ball Lightning because of the renown, but having tried Valkyrie a few games I'm kinda hooked. Those pulls feel LE-GIT when you land them. Favourite hero release in a while. We need more like this.

Part of my issue with d.va is she likely is going to have a rebirth/self resurrection ability and given that there's a concern about having to many of those I'd rather it go to someone more interesting. Additionally even if we are locked into an overwatch character there are waaaay more interesting ones than d.va. even if the eventual kits are predicable.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Theory: D.Va's actually gonna be in as a Starcraft Pro and not as a Meka operator. She's gonna play like Abathur.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Theory: D.Va's actually gonna be in as a Starcraft Pro and not as a Meka operator. She's gonna play like Abathur.

That would be hilarious.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Illidan is kind of fun but I struggled a lot at the start of the game.

Learning to use his Dodge and manage his cooldowns is where most of his initial learning curve comes in. Bear in mind that his dodge works for Hero basic attacks (not spells and abilities), but it does work foe mibion attacks and importantly- turret shots. His strengths are his sustain and his versatility, but he gets shut down hard by ability damage and stun lock.

Take Immolation at 1 and Friend or Foe at 4. Immol let's Illidan solo Siege Marc camps and push lanes well early on, and friend or foe gives you a decent escape. The Hunt is my preferred ult and let's you opportunistically pounce on people split from the team and overextended.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Sgt. Hammer should have a Bastion-themed skin.

Edit: the tank would be Bastion. She would be Ganymede.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Ended up buying the tank pack with my free gems. Was rewarded with a new hero (Jaina) and bought Uther with gold. I have 29 heroes now, I've spent $5 on the game.
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Someone else covered the general use-of-skills end on Diablo, but if you get used to Diablo and make a point of playing him on maps where people have to be outside the lanes at times, like Sky Temple or Garden of Terror, he's crazy at the moment if you get rolling.

He's less good on, like, Braxis or Haunted Mines, because they're roomy even outside the lanes.

As far as Uther, though there are clearly new options now, the W build emerged from this remake mostly unchanged and was the best way to play him previously, IMO. Hover around waiting for someone to make a mistake then lock them in for the kill with E, while throwing giant heal-laser waves at the enemy team with regularity. Benediction W into another W is basically an ultimate if you're hitting enough targets and have the talents in support of it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• FremFrem Registered User regular

It's me. I'm the D.va main. Gonna do lots of squishing by calling her mech down on the enemy team. Hoping she'll be kinda like a close range Sgt Hammer.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

It's me. I'm the D.va main. Gonna do lots of squishing by calling her mech down on the enemy team. Hoping she'll be kinda like a close range Sgt Hammer.

What?

But isn't the long range the whole entire point of Hammer?

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    MNC Dover wrote: »

i gotchu fam

Alright so build: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/uther#kw-y

This is the W build, pretty standard picks for the W build itself. Let's break it down (woops wrong Hero):

- Level 1 we go Wave of Light, of course. This is just a solid fucking pick. Not only does it give a REALLY good Quest reward that's easy to complete, but the passive effect is VERY good as well. Bumping up that Armor duration to 3 seconds is massive. It is a huge game changer.
    - At 4, Holy Fire. Pursuit of Justice is kinda, well, unnecessary. And Holy Shock is... well, bad, but not for immediately obvious reasons. The actual effect of Holy Shock is strong... but it means you're not healing your Allies. And Q is SUCH a powerful heal, it makes no sense to give that up in order to be doing meh damage every 6 seconds. So, Holy Fire. Holy Fire is great because it gives Uther actual waveclear (important!!!), and really good sustained damage in teamfights. He's a beefy frontliner now! He can afford to stay in and that Holy Fire damage WILL rack up. At level 20 it does 36 damage per tick, OR 58 damage against Heroes if you've got three stacks. That's comparable damage to Burning Rage, which ticks for 52 damage at 20. So it's actually more!
    - Level 7 is a free pick, they're all quite good. If you need a Cleanse, go for Hand of Protection. Otherwise the other two are fine, but I'd recommend Guardian of Ancient Kings over Armor of Faith. You're not going to always be the one getting CCed, after all.
    - Level 10 is either. Divine Storm is a powerful lockdown tool that's perfect as both an engage or a counter-engage. It's actually good now that Uther can frontline. Divine Shield is still as good as it has always been, it saves lives.
    - 13 is a toss-up between Well Met or Blessed Champion. Well Met is my go-to, but Blessed Champion is great if you just NEED extra healing output. Don't take Spell Shield, it's a trap talent for Uther. Uther already gains 25 Armor whenever he heals someone, he's already very tanky. Spell Shield is too little too late, it's on a massive 30 second cooldown. You give up way too much utility if you take it, it has the lowest winrate on that tier by far.
    - At 16 I grab Tyr's Deliverance. This gives you powerful burst healing, you can W->Q a target and pop them right back up. It's also really good if you happen to have a 2nd Support, but it's good on its own as well.
    - 20, well, depends. They're all very good talents. Redemption is fine as a go-to, but if you haven't been dying, consider other options.

Insofar as playstyle, you basically play Uther like a tank or a bruiser now. You're a frontlining beast. Uther's very tanky due to his new trait. Keep in mind Uther will always gain the Armor by hitting W or Q (always hit Q on other people if possible since Q now self-heals like Tyrande's does). He's not a Tank Tank, but he can still frontline with the best of em. You're not unkillable or invincible, keep that in mind. But don't be afraid to really get up in there either.

When taking (and completing) Wave of Light, stagger out your W and Q healing by 3 seconds, allowing the Armor to actually expire first. Otherwise, if you just immediately W->Q someone, you're wasting the Armor duration. You can get ~6 seconds of 25 Armor on a target if you stagger it out correctly.

Try to hit your whole team with W, since it grants the Armor. Even if not all of your teammates are damaged, the Armor is still extremely beneficial in teamfights.

Know when to tactically suicide. Uther's on-death part of his Trait is extremely powerful. You can freeheal for 8 seconds after dying, and you get a new Q on a 1.5 second cooldown, that heals for about 63.7% of your regular Q healing. So, a little over half, basically. Generally, try to stay alive always, of course. But if you find that you can turn a losing fight around with all that freehealing, go for it.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

What?

But isn't the long range the whole entire point of Hammer?

Only if you're playing her wrongly

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2017
    Second, it's ANOTHER Overwatch character. And on top of the fact that two-in-a-row is some weird taboo thing the design team doesn't like to do
    They literally released a fifth Warcraft hero in a row four months ago. I guess you're right in that it's a weird taboo for OTHER franchises. We haven't had a non-Warcraft IP get back-to-back releases since XUL.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So what would you guys say is the best way to re-teach oneself how to play this game after months of not playing? I jumped into QM yesterday and could tell pretty objectively that I was the one dragging my team down. AI games for a bit to re-learn maps and stuff like laning?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    - 13 is a toss-up between Well Met or Blessed Champion. Well Met is my go-to, but Blessed Champion is great if you just NEED extra healing output. Don't take Spell Shield, it's a trap talent for Uther. Uther already gains 25 Armor whenever he heals someone, he's already very tanky. Spell Shield is too little too late, it's on a massive 30 second cooldown. You give up way too much utility if you take it, it has the lowest winrate on that tier by far.
    - At 16 I grab Tyr's Deliverance. This gives you powerful burst healing, you can W->Q a target and pop them right back up. It's also really good if you happen to have a 2nd Support, but it's good on its own as well.

Remember Tyr's Deliverance really shines with Blessed Champion, since the free heals on hit are based on a percentage of the amount healed with Q, plus the free heals from Blessed Champ are also increased by Tyr's, I believe.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So what would you guys say is the best way to re-teach oneself how to play this game after months of not playing? I jumped into QM yesterday and could tell pretty objectively that I was the one dragging my team down. AI games for a bit to re-learn maps and stuff like laning?

You could play some AI games, but really you just need to power through it. Shouldn't take more than a handful of games to get your feet back under you.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

You could play some AI games, but really you just need to power through it. Shouldn't take more than a handful of games to get your feet back under you.

I think probably I need to stop trying to play Lucio (who is a new hero to me) and go back to my level 20 Brightwing so I'm at least working with something I'm more familiar with.

I'm supposed to be packing for LARP this weekend but I'll probably play a little instead >>;

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »

Remember Tyr's Deliverance really shines with Blessed Champion, since the free heals on hit are based on a percentage of the amount healed with Q, plus the free heals from Blessed Champ are also increased by Tyr's, I believe.

Ah, this is a good point! I did not realize this.

Yeah I think maybe it should be the other way around then, Blessed Champion as a go-to, Well Met when you just need to deal with that ONE pesky dive Hero on the enemy team.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Has anyone ever had Heroes of the Storm uninstall itself? I went to play this morning and it needed to install.

Edit: Apparently everything on Battle.net deleted itself.

Edit2: Looks like I installed something into the same general file as all that stuff and it deleted everything else. I wonder how much else I lost.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular

She's just like sitting at the starting area and you get a SC2 overlay and actually play SC2 within the match. That would be hilarious.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »

That would have been

hype

as

fuck

This is the best idea ever.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised Leeroy isn't in the game yet.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I like D.Va much more than Leeroy. She's also pretty popular in general, and has legit become a symbol for feminism and such in Korea (maybe other places, but I remember reading about that at least).

D.Va is cool, so there! QED

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The real issue with D.Va is she's another goddamn insane mobility hero

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.