As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Obamacare repeal]: Senate AHCA rewrite - kill Medicaid to fund tax cuts for the rich

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The Best Deals (TM).

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Maybe $1 in *new* Medicaid funding for $1 in wall, that'd be the kind of compromise i can get behind (since the wall is ultimately a boondoggle but does no great harm aside from a handful of ranchers who will end up having to become Mexican citizens or immigrate every time they want to go shopping, and will at least pay some wages to middle and low-class workers at some point), otherwise it's the problem Knight_ just pointed out, you're threatening appropriated money for unappropriated money and it doesn't work that way.

Well, there is a lawsuit regarding whether the subsidy funds were legally appropriated in how they're disbursed. But...letting that break doesn't really help your approval since people blame the Party in power for wielding power.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Again, he really thinks so little of his own supporters that he thinks they'll believe whatever he says.

If obamacare blows up it's all on the gop. They literally control all branches of gov right now

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Again, he really thinks so little of his own supporters that he thinks they'll believe whatever he says.

If obamacare blows up it's all on the gop. They literally control all branches of gov right now

Yeah, but not the shadow government! Obama's still in charge of that, we all know thats where the real power is.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/us/politics/affordable-care-act-house-republicans-trump.html
    WASHINGTON — White House officials, desperate to demonstrate progress on President Trump’s promise to repeal the Affordable Care Act, are pushing to resurrect a Republican health care bill before his 100th day in office next week.

Some members of the president’s team have grown consumed by that deadline, worrying that appraisals of the president’s tenure will be brutal and hoping that a last push on health care might bring a measure of salvation.
    But the legislation’s future is unclear. For now, the proposal exists only in vague talking points. West Wing advisers to Mr. Trump are decidedly mixed in their views of how aggressively to raise expectations. The aide feeling perhaps the most pressure, according to people close to the discussions, is the chief of staff, Reince Priebus, who was blamed internally for the botched vote count around the first repeal effort and is closest to Mr. Ryan within Mr. Trump’s circle.
    This month, Vice President Mike Pence and other Trump administration officials sought a new agreement with the conservative House Freedom Caucus, whose opposition helped fell the first bill. The measure, which gained little traction, earned a nickname on Capitol Hill: Zombie Trumpcare.
    The bill has the stink of failure on it that any politician should be able to smell from miles away, and that has to cause a lot of people to flee it or at least be extremely wary of it.

Reince Priebus can't really think this is going to end well for him.

Zombie trumpcare all it wants to do is eat your brains it is however not uncivilized and has no current plans to eat your eyes.

It is going to be pretty amazing if they try to flog some fugly healthcare thing out just in time to torpedo their own budget continuing resolution. Hell at this point the democrats may not even need to lift a finger there is every possibility of them sinking their own budget at this point without any input from the dems.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    push expectations to the highest heights

bet your presidency on it

swear that you'll exile yourself to the moon if you fail

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

And he might be right.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »

And he might be right.
    A recent Washington Post article talks about how Trump has relied heavily on the assumption that his public promises have been kept in the past.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/04/21/daily-202-what-trump-s-giving-to-charity-or-lack-thereof-foreshadowed-about-his-presidency/58f9b8abe9b69b3a72331eaf/
    3. The president’s marketing strategy relies on promising big results -- and he relies on the assumption that public promises will be kept.

During my research, I went back and catalogued Trump’s promises to donate money to charity. I was struck by how many he’d made: in all, Trump’s public pledges after 2001 totalled $8.5 million or more. Usually, Trump didn’t name which charity he planned to help, which made it hard to check whether he’d kept his word. I searched far and wide, and found little evidence he did. I also found at least one case where Trump had made a specific pledge to a specific charity – a $250,000 promise to a charity that helps Israeli soldiers and veterans – and didn’t pay up (Another unnamed person paid Trump’s pledge instead, the charity said.)

But Trump seemed to suffer little reputational damage. The media covered his promise, but -- since Trump was just a reality-TV star, not a presidential candidate -- they didn’t usually check on the follow-through. During the campaign, when The Washington Post pressed Trump to supply details of his giving, he refused.

[...]

Since his election, Trump has repeatedly used this tactic: promising major actions and revelations, and relying on the public belief that a president will keep promises. On a Saturday in late December, he promised to deliver major news about Russian hacking on “Tuesday or Wednesday.” He didn’t. Then, in January, he promised a major report on hacking “in 90 days.” This month, the 90th day passed with no report. He promised a “major investigation” into voter fraud during the 2016 election, but since then media reports have indicated that the investigation is going slowly, or not at all.

But this tactic is far harder to pull off now, because Trump and his promises are under far more scrutiny. This week, a Gallup poll found that only 45 percent of Americans believe Trump “keeps his promises,” a number that was down 17 points just since February.
    The basic problem is that whether the ACA is still around or not is too obvious. It is easier to get away with lack of charity giving or something that is normally just a passing part of the news cycle like saying you will have a report that few people will probably care about in the first place in 90 days. He doesn't even have a decent effort that isn't just an incompetent clusterfuck to point to.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    NBC Producer;

So that's never happening, then.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Doesn't care about the hundred days. Hundred days is dumb. That's why healthcare, taxes, and wall funding are all being pushed right now for no specific reason.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I can't wait until Trump's 4th press secretary in Summer of 2020 is saying "It's only been 3 years 6 months, Obama got 8 years to get his healthcare bill passed!"

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Doesn't care about the hundred days. Hundred days is dumb. That's why healthcare, taxes, and wall funding are all being pushed right now for no specific reason.

Also, the first 100 days is a dumb standard anyway. Or at least that's what Trump was trying to say this morning.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    "100 days" is a silly metric itself, but looking at what a president has done with what is often the height of their popularity is worthwhile.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The more he says he doesn't care about the 100 days deadline, the more I believe he is actually furious about it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    It warms my heart to think that the first 100 days is often the period where a president is most popular...because of how terribly unpopular Trump is already.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The more he says he doesn't care about the 100 days deadline, the more I believe he is actually furious about it.

"Let me tell you, at length, how much I don't care" is something I've seen so many times.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    This might be the dumbest timeline, but it did give us a US president I'm-Not-Even-Mad-This-Is-Actually-Funny-To-Meing his own administrative goals.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Couscous wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »

And he might be right.
    A recent Washington Post article talks about how Trump has relied heavily on the assumption that his public promises have been kept in the past.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/04/21/daily-202-what-trump-s-giving-to-charity-or-lack-thereof-foreshadowed-about-his-presidency/58f9b8abe9b69b3a72331eaf/
    3. The president’s marketing strategy relies on promising big results -- and he relies on the assumption that public promises will be kept.

During my research, I went back and catalogued Trump’s promises to donate money to charity. I was struck by how many he’d made: in all, Trump’s public pledges after 2001 totalled $8.5 million or more. Usually, Trump didn’t name which charity he planned to help, which made it hard to check whether he’d kept his word. I searched far and wide, and found little evidence he did. I also found at least one case where Trump had made a specific pledge to a specific charity – a $250,000 promise to a charity that helps Israeli soldiers and veterans – and didn’t pay up (Another unnamed person paid Trump’s pledge instead, the charity said.)

But Trump seemed to suffer little reputational damage. The media covered his promise, but -- since Trump was just a reality-TV star, not a presidential candidate -- they didn’t usually check on the follow-through. During the campaign, when The Washington Post pressed Trump to supply details of his giving, he refused.

[...]

Since his election, Trump has repeatedly used this tactic: promising major actions and revelations, and relying on the public belief that a president will keep promises. On a Saturday in late December, he promised to deliver major news about Russian hacking on “Tuesday or Wednesday.” He didn’t. Then, in January, he promised a major report on hacking “in 90 days.” This month, the 90th day passed with no report. He promised a “major investigation” into voter fraud during the 2016 election, but since then media reports have indicated that the investigation is going slowly, or not at all.

But this tactic is far harder to pull off now, because Trump and his promises are under far more scrutiny. This week, a Gallup poll found that only 45 percent of Americans believe Trump “keeps his promises,” a number that was down 17 points just since February.
    The basic problem is that whether the ACA is still around or not is too obvious. It is easier to get away with lack of charity giving or something that is normally just a passing part of the news cycle like saying you will have a report that few people will probably care about in the first place in 90 days. He doesn't even have a decent effort that isn't just an incompetent clusterfuck to point to.

Don't forget the "I'll crush ISIS in thirty days of being in office" pledge.

Also locking Clinton up

The only accomplishments he'll have are pissing off America/their allies, and flushing his precious brand down his golden toilet.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Objectively, his hundred-days achievements are all utilizations of that law that allows for an overturn of last-minute executive rule changes by a previous president. He rolled back a bunch of rules. That and Gorsuch are the only two things he achieved so far. Everything else has either been a failure or never materialized.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Objectively, his hundred-days achievements are all utilizations of that law that allows for an overturn of last-minute executive rule changes by a previous president. He rolled back a bunch of rules. That and Gorsuch are the only two things he achieved so far. Everything else has either been a failure or never materialized.

Gorsuch is solely McConnell's achievement.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

Gorsuch is solely McConnell's achievement.

We'll see whether or not that ends up being a hollow one, given what that bullshit set in motion.

As for the roll back of last minute regulations. Looks like he might get blow back on several. The environmental ones appear to be things that aren't widely supported.

It's kind of amazing that he is so hell bent on trying to get this turd through Congress. I guess Trump decided, that if he couldn't be the greatest POTUS ever, he'd fuck off so badly that he gets into position as the worst POTUS ever and to such an extend that no future POTUS will be able to top it.

Anyways, anyone see any details on when these jokers plan on having a written document prepared. If I'm not mistaken, they can't exactly schedule a vote on this pile of shit until there is a paper copy. Wondering if we're going to literally get a case of them trying to argue that like ACA, no one needs to read the document. Would be grand if AHCA managed to highlight how fucking stupid that talking point was, given how long the democrats spend crafting the ACA.

• Options
    Given that the CR has to get passed by Thursday/Friday, it would also be fun to just procedurally eat time on the AHCA-2 simply because it has a hard stop when they need to devote time on the calendar to not shutting the Government down.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Also locking Clinton up

The only accomplishments he'll have are pissing off America/their allies, and flushing his precious brand down his golden toilet.

There's still plenty of time for the bolded. Trump's attention span may be too short for him to do anything other than flail on Twitter about the election but he has slightly less incompetent underlings who might think in some moment of desperation that arresting Hillary Clinton would be a great way to distract the media for a moment or something. Granted, I had expected this to already be taking place but I seriously underestimated just how utterly, mindbogglingly lazy Trump is.

Swinging this back on topic, would the path of short-term least effort personally for Trump be to have the government shut down over Trumpcare II: Electric Bugaloo or just not give a shit about actual results and spew meaningless whiny noises out of his mouth afterward?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Swinging this back on topic, would the path of short-term least effort personally for Trump be to have the government shut down over Trumpcare II: Electric Bugaloo or just not give a shit about actual results and spew meaningless whiny noises out of his mouth afterward?

I can see him being willing to put effort into negotiations that end up sabotaging it. This is his legacy, after all.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Also locking Clinton up

There's still plenty of time for the bolded. Trump's attention span may be too short for him to do anything other than flail on Twitter about the election but he has slightly less incompetent underlings who might think in some moment of desperation that arresting Hillary Clinton would be a great way to distract the media for a moment or something. Granted, I had expected this to already be taking place but I seriously underestimated just how utterly, mindbogglingly lazy Trump is.

Sessions is the Attorney General. I would not be surprised if plans are being drawn up for Hillary's arrest and trial. Just in case.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I'm seeing increased traffic through various websites that Trump and Ryan might try to use the debt ceiling as a weapon against a possible round #2 against the ACA. It'll be an interesting week. Especially if health care shuts the government down while the GOP owns all three branches of the government.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Yet somehow it will be the Democrat's fault for shooting the hostage.

I have a morbid curiosity about how next week will go.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The alt-calendar (not counting the weekly mar a lago vacations) makes it's 'triumphant' return!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-im-not-even-at-100-days-you-miss-counted
    When asked about the situation with Obamacare Repeal and tax reform Trump told the Associated Press this (emphasis added) …

I have great relationships with Congress. I think we’re doing very well and I think we have a great foundation for future things. We’re going to be applying — I shouldn’t tell you this, but we’re going to be announcing, probably on Wednesday, tax reform. … We’ve worked on it long and hard. And you gotta understand, I’ve only been here now 93 days, 92 days. President Obama took 17 months to do “Obamacare.” I’ve been here 92 days, but I’ve only been working on the health care, you know, I had to get like a little bit of grounding, right? Health care started after 30 day(s), so I’ve been working on health care for 60 days. … we’re very close. And it’s a great plan … we have to get it approved.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Please, if he wasn't counting his mar a lago visits he'd be at like 70 days.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    100 First Days; The Art of the Fail

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    We close on the condo May 1st, so they better not default on the debt ceiling on April 30. Or do something that fucks up wire transfers with a shutdown.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Yet somehow it will be the Democrat's fault for shooting the hostage.

I have a morbid curiosity about how next week will go.

From the last time this happened, it at least seems that people get that the GOP is basically always to blame if the government shuts down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    100 First Days; The Art of the Fail

Trump cares so little about the 100 day standard that he put out a detailed plan about what he would accomplish:

Trump_100-days_O-TRU-102316-Contractv02_Page_2_50p.png

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    So what's the plan when the time for the vote comes around and they still haven't written up the actual law they want to vote on?

I don't think you can use the "no one could have known how complicated it is" excuse twice for the same failure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »
    So what's the plan when the time for the vote comes around and they still haven't written up the actual law they want to vote on?

I don't think you can use the "no one could have known how complicated it is" excuse twice for the same failure.

Fake it til everyone un-makes it.

It's been his MO since Jan 20th, why start giving a shit about leading a nation now?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Trump could be lying or he doesn't know what the ACA money being talked about is and thinks it is new, extra cash.

Either way he seems to think people will blame the Democrats for any ACA problems.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Of course Trump is lying.

Everything I've read has boiled down to "Obamacare is imperfect but doing fine. Some tweaks could fix fringe cases and shore up any issues, but it's nowhere near collapsing."

Someone probably told him this, so he's trying to make perception into reality. Maybe setting the groundwork for his supporters when his admin does try to tear open a crack intentionally, but I don't think that'll carry them as far as they might think.

And yes, I am accounting for the average US voter here.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's also wrong because while people first think of the Insurance Exchanges when they think of Obamacare, that isn't even close to the whole of the bill. It's probably not even like a third overall.

Even if the exchanges collapse most of Obamacare will just keep on trucking.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The ACA could be absolutely incredible and the problems that people complain about could be fixed - but it would require Republicans to vote on enacting those changes, and they don't care about what's best for people, just following the lines the party has been pushing for almost a decade now.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Completely agreed. They *could* fix it, but they won't. They could also do substantial harm to it, but with the associated risk of 'blowing up the insurance industry', depending on the actions chosen.

An industry that I'm under the impression is rather powerful, and whom I assume would have some very stern things to say about an attempt (intentional or not) to kill it.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.