As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bundle up tight and abandon [Fashion] for warmth

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Starting to get into Nomura territory with those straps but dayum

They're like the hike up to The Nomura Cliff but without jumping off. Just the right amount of useless accent straps.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My purse came in!
    It is officially my first one ever and I like it.
    Now to find a flask to put in it for the Christmas party...
    CS1KWnwl.jpg

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    My purse came in!
    CS1KWnwl.jpg

You're not even going to take a flash photo so we can see the crazy colors? For shame.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Whoa there Jensen how many augs are you hiding in that purse

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    My purse came in!
    CS1KWnwl.jpg

You're not even going to take a flash photo so we can see the crazy colors? For shame.

This isn't that fancy one. Just a similar design

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    dew92vgbi79b.jpeg
    90bfgo77defr.jpeg

bought this sweater for some reason?

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I don't mean to alarm you, but it's written backwards on the front.

• Options
    now i’m alarmed

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Dropped off some ankle boots to get part of the sole re-glued and get new heels on em
    It's super cool that I have a shoe repair place a few blocks away and I don't have to send em away or just shrug and throw them in the trash
    Especially cause they're cool boots!

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Dropped off some ankle boots to get part of the sole re-glued and get new heels on em
    It's super cool that I have a shoe repair place a few blocks away and I don't have to send em away or just shrug and throw them in the trash

The one on King?

Used to take my shoes there all the time. Dude started telling me "this are good for another 3000 miles. See you soon."

Brick sidewalks are murder on leather soled shoes.

• Options
    bad news, i found another sweater i want and it’s very loud https://alohafromdeer.com/en/men/collections_m/art/death-is-watching-sweatshirt

i don’t get it i don’t even live in a place with cold weather why do i want these sweaters

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

The one on King?

Used to take my shoes there all the time. Dude started telling me "this are good for another 3000 miles. See you soon."

Brick sidewalks are murder on leather soled shoes.

The very same
    The brick is rough as hell, but I also remember when they dumped rock salt all over DC after the big snow two years ago and that chewed those things up

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    bad news, i found another sweater i want and it’s very loud https://alohafromdeer.com/en/men/collections_m/art/death-is-watching-sweatshirt

i don’t get it i don’t even live in a place with cold weather why do i want these sweaters

wear this sweater every day IMO

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    There's a box of 8 yards of pretty party fabric on sale for 20% off (and the box is already only $60 to begin with which, if you know about fabrics, is a bargain) and I have Christmas money and yet

I have like, two boxes of fabric to sew up waiting at home

Edit: There was one box left in stock for two hours and it just sold, so, there we go

Janson on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Whoa there Jensen how many augs are you hiding in that purse

She never asked for this.

• Options
    Well I mean.....

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

Tito just come visit

Then you can wear every one

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Is anyone interested in fabric stash shots, I need to be pushed to sew some more clothes for myself

• Options
    but i only want to wear one not all of them at the same time to protect me from the harsh canadian winter!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Surprisingly, it's extremely extremely hard, if not impossible, to find decent apparel fabric in Boston. Literally anywhere within an hour drive of downtown.

I've watched too much Project Runway, and become exceedingly jealous of people in NYC, who have Mood within walking/subway distance. :P

Jo-Ann's tends to have more "funky/arts and crafts" types of fabrics, and most of the fabric stores in Boston seem to have quilting fabric and upholstery fabric only. If there's any "apparel" fabric at all, it's like...a bolt of boring denim, or a bolt of plain ugly vivid blue swimsuit fabric, etc.

Gimme some beautiful fashion prints! Gimme some stretchy knits, dammit!

• Options
    Online is where it’s at for stretchy fabrics! Facebook groups especially.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ugh now I've got "Make It Work" stuck in my head

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Janson wrote: »

I'm so afraid of buying fabric online haha. Especially if they just show a single flat swatch! I'm like....I have no idea how this feels, or how much stretch it has, or how thick it is, etc!

What if I buy some fabric and it turns out to be a bolt of printed sandpaper? :C :C

Never thought about FB groups though, hmmmmmmm!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    but i only want to wear one not all of them at the same time to protect me from the harsh canadian winter!

Sorry Tito

You gotta wear them all at once to get rounder and roll down the snow hills better

It's just tradition

Steam
  • Options

I'm so afraid of buying fabric online haha. Especially if they just show a single flat swatch! I'm like....I have no idea how this feels, or how much stretch it has, or how thick it is, etc!

What if I buy some fabric and it turns out to be a bolt of printed sandpaper? :C :C

If you would like recommendations I have a few :)

I totally understand about the texture, though! Some groups helpfully sell swatches.

• Options

If you would like recommendations I have a few :)

I totally understand about the texture, though! Some groups helpfully sell swatches.

Ooooo, yes please! Thank you :D

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

I have been so bummed about Hancock's closing because of this. I want to feel the fabric and see its drape for myself. And Joanne's is fine but so limited unless you're making flannel pjs or something with shiny satin and tulle. Hancock's wasn't the be all, but at least they had a decent variety of actual apparel fabrics. I've heard Michael's is going to start distributing fabrics under the Hancock's brand they bought, but I'm expecting that to also be an online thing. Bleh. Bleh bleh bleh.

• Options
    Sounds like there's a really good business opportunity in Boston for someone to open a gosh dang fabric store.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »

Sorry Tito

You gotta wear them all at once to get rounder and roll down the snow hills better

It's just tradition

guess i’d better start getting used to my life as the bottom part of a snowman

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    There are three groups I’ve bought from and would recommend; both have Facebook groups and websites, and you don’t have to be a member of the groups, but the groups usually give previews of upcoming prints, offer discount codes, etc.

Wanderlust Designs Custom Fabric - they have really lovely cotton Lycra (though you do pay a lot for it! Still, it’s super wide so I can get a pair of leggings for me and one kid out of a yard). Good customer service. They don’t have a in-stock selection of prints most of the time, though; they’re very dependent on preorders (which are also $2-3 cheaper than retail) and flash sales.

Rikipedia Wear/RP Custom Fabrics - their cotton Lycra is comparable to Wanderlust (as are their prices) although I’ve had more fading issues (although faded, the prints still look good). They tend to have a better selection of stock and their retail site is usually available to buy from.

So Sew English Fabrics - super fast shipping (if you buy a bundle it’s usually shipped next day, otherwise a 7 day processing time is usual for them), lots of cheap fabrics, huge, frequent sales. However, they mostly offer just stripes and florals and you need to be familiar with the types of fabric they offer. Their double brushed polyester wears well! So far no holes have developed. Their prices are much cheaper because they mostly sell polyester and other synthetic stretchy material, and it’s thinner than the other two sites’ offerings, too. When I make leggings from their fabric, or other items requiring a good waist, I usually use plain fabric from Wanderlust for the waistbands.

• Options
    Awesome, thank you!

• Options
    You’re welcome!

I’ve heard great things about So Sew English’s ponte and I really want to try it next. I hear it is thicker and has decent structure, enough for a nice jacket or jeggings.

• Options
    A good ponte is fantastic for a sheath dress. I do love a good ponte sheath. *makes a note*

• Options
    I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure a ponte sheath is a type of car.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I also need to stop being tempted by pretty patterns and buy more solids, because I have a startling lack of coordinating clothes.

Edit: I should add that another advantage of joining fabric sites’ facebook groups is you get to see the fabrics on people, since they encourage their members to share photos of their clothes. :)

Janson on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure a ponte sheath is a type of car.

If not, it should be. Then you could wear a ponte sheath while driving a ponte sheath, and it would be an inception.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Sorry Tito

It's just tradition

guess i’d better start getting used to my life as the bottom part of a snowman

This is your life now

maxresdefault.jpg

• Options
    Do any of you have a preference between liquid and...solid I guess? Eye pencil things? Wanna make good cats eye things on my eyes but the thing I have sucks and is smudge

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Stila stay all day liquid eyeliner is my go to for cat’s eye lids! It does take some practice to get down. I’ve also had good luck with an angle brush and using eyeshadow to get a decent cat’s eye.

• Options
    Seconding the Stila recommendation. It was the first liquid liner I felt comfortable with and I still use it pretty well daily.

Pencil is harder to get a clean line with and takes more pressure to apply and ehhhhh. Never been a fan.

For the first while if you have difficulty feathering the liner on and the edge is uneven, don't be afraid to smudge it using dark eyeshadow, too! Angle brushes are good to apply that with. I still do it when my liner is running dry and I don't have a fresh one on-hand.

Steam
This discussion has been closed.