As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bundle up tight and abandon [Fashion] for warmth

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    Einzel wrote: »
    @NightDragon those are magical! Can you link the stuff used? I have a friend whose favorite color is iridescent beetle.

Sure! There are a few ways to do it, and it's a tiny bit pricey, but gives stunning results. :)

Most nail powder companies tell you that for best results, you need to use gel nail polish for the powder to properly adhere, and to prevent the top coat from diffusing/marring the shiny finish. I don't want to invest in a UV/LED curing lamp and gel polish, so I used the cheaper method.

NAIL POWDER:
    I got mine here:
    https://dailycharme.com/collections/glitter-powder/products/unichrome-aurora-unicorn-chrome-powder

Their powders are $$$, but are supposed to be some of the best available. I actually bought this from them because their mirror chrome powder IS supposed to be the best one on the market, so I figured I'd just get them from the same place. If you want to get some for your friend that's just the iridescent beetle color specifically (rather than the kind I used, which is more expensive but has different effects depending on the base color), there are a number of other options (many are cheaper, too).

Cheapest: ~$10, effect may not be super strong, powder may not be milled super super fine, but check the customer images to see. Sometimes they're incredible:
    Amazon Link - PrettyDiva Brand
    Amazon Link - Born Pretty Brand
    (I believe both of these ship from China, but they're well-known brands, they just may take 3-5 weeks to get to you)

Mid: ~$15
    Etsy (this particular shop/listing seemed a good match)

Pricey: $20+, known brands, lots of YouTube videos show the application and results
    What's Up Nails
    Twinkled T (they used to carry a green multichrome, but now I only see this teal/purple one, which is still beautiful and gorgeous and beetle-y

SUPPLIES - For the cheaper "no gel" route, you should get:
    • A makeup sponge, or an eyeshadow appicator. These are extremely cheap ($5 and under for a package). You can also choose a "silicone pen/brush" instead. You can just use your finger to apply the powder, but since the powder is so expensive, I chose to use an applicator to minimize wasting any powder.
    • A "gel-like" nail polish for the powder to adhere to. I use a "gel-like" topcoat, so I can have any color I want to underneath. (I use this brand. Can be found at most drugstores and sometimes grocery stores). Usually about $10.
    • A water-based topcoat. This is required - you need to seal in the powder, and water-based topcoats do not mar the finish. You can place any regular topcoat on top for added protection, after letting the water-based topcoat dry. I use this kind, but I haven't tried others. They seem to run $8-20.

So, it is a bit pricey to start, but as somebody who is a multichrome and shiny-nail lover, it's worth it to me. I'll get a LOT of future uses out of these products, so I'm not really bothered by the initial cost so much. :)

So, i know this is a few months old @NightDragon , but I'm curious if there are any kind of kits or starter packs for this crazy awesome fingernail stuff? Preferably with a beginner's guide how-to kind of thing.
    Trying to be a good uncle for Christmas and this looks right up my niece's alley. But I'm also a lazy uncle who would appreciate a shortcut with an easily purchased gift package.

Hmmm, to be honest I'm not aware of any full kits for this - mainly because the supplies I mentioned are an alternate/cheap way to produce the result you'd normally get from using a powder with gel polishes (gel polishes require a UV or LED curing lamp). While you can buy gel stuff instead, it tends to be slightly pricier.

If you want to assemble a baseline "kit" yourself, you can probably just get everything that's required on Amazon (you can use the links I provided). Also, since it requires some dexterity and a powder you should avoid breathing in, I'd recommend this only for older kids (maybe 14 and up). Some of the powders may come with a set of instructions, but I learned through watching Youtube videos (which are plentiful) and I found those to actually be extremely helpful.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    NightDragon those are magical! Can you link the stuff used? I have a friend whose favorite color is iridescent beetle.

Sure! There are a few ways to do it, and it's a tiny bit pricey, but gives stunning results. :)

Most nail powder companies tell you that for best results, you need to use gel nail polish for the powder to properly adhere, and to prevent the top coat from diffusing/marring the shiny finish. I don't want to invest in a UV/LED curing lamp and gel polish, so I used the cheaper method.

NAIL POWDER:
    I got mine here:
    https://dailycharme.com/collections/glitter-powder/products/unichrome-aurora-unicorn-chrome-powder

Their powders are $$$, but are supposed to be some of the best available. I actually bought this from them because their mirror chrome powder IS supposed to be the best one on the market, so I figured I'd just get them from the same place. If you want to get some for your friend that's just the iridescent beetle color specifically (rather than the kind I used, which is more expensive but has different effects depending on the base color), there are a number of other options (many are cheaper, too).

Cheapest: ~$10, effect may not be super strong, powder may not be milled super super fine, but check the customer images to see. Sometimes they're incredible:
    Amazon Link - PrettyDiva Brand
    Amazon Link - Born Pretty Brand
    (I believe both of these ship from China, but they're well-known brands, they just may take 3-5 weeks to get to you)

Mid: ~$15
    Etsy (this particular shop/listing seemed a good match)

Pricey: $20+, known brands, lots of YouTube videos show the application and results
    What's Up Nails
    Twinkled T (they used to carry a green multichrome, but now I only see this teal/purple one, which is still beautiful and gorgeous and beetle-y

SUPPLIES - For the cheaper "no gel" route, you should get:
    • A makeup sponge, or an eyeshadow appicator. These are extremely cheap ($5 and under for a package). You can also choose a "silicone pen/brush" instead. You can just use your finger to apply the powder, but since the powder is so expensive, I chose to use an applicator to minimize wasting any powder.
    • A "gel-like" nail polish for the powder to adhere to. I use a "gel-like" topcoat, so I can have any color I want to underneath. (I use this brand. Can be found at most drugstores and sometimes grocery stores). Usually about $10.
    • A water-based topcoat. This is required - you need to seal in the powder, and water-based topcoats do not mar the finish. You can place any regular topcoat on top for added protection, after letting the water-based topcoat dry. I use this kind, but I haven't tried others. They seem to run $8-20.

So, it is a bit pricey to start, but as somebody who is a multichrome and shiny-nail lover, it's worth it to me. I'll get a LOT of future uses out of these products, so I'm not really bothered by the initial cost so much. :)

So, i know this is a few months old NightDragon , but I'm curious if there are any kind of kits or starter packs for this crazy awesome fingernail stuff? Preferably with a beginner's guide how-to kind of thing.
    Trying to be a good uncle for Christmas and this looks right up my niece's alley. But I'm also a lazy uncle who would appreciate a shortcut with an easily purchased gift package.

Hmmm, to be honest I'm not aware of any full kits for this - mainly because the supplies I mentioned are an alternate/cheap way to produce the result you'd normally get from using a powder with gel polishes (gel polishes require a UV or LED curing lamp). While you can buy gel stuff instead, it tends to be slightly pricier.

If you want to assemble a baseline "kit" yourself, you can probably just get everything that's required on Amazon (you can use the links I provided). Also, since it requires some dexterity and a powder you should avoid breathing in, I'd recommend this only for older kids (maybe 14 and up). Some of the powders may come with a set of instructions, but I learned through watching Youtube videos (which are plentiful) and I found those to actually be extremely helpful.

Cool, thank you.
    She is high school age, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I know enough to not get really young girls makeup for Christmas.

see317 on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    My issue is that in an attempt at self-limiting, I keep my lipsticks in a Muji container, and tell myself that only when I rotate one out can I rotate a new one in.

Right now I have one too many to fit. Technically I have this Clinique Pop brown-red that is broken and I don't think it's salvageable so I should bin it, but it's such a darn good color that I haven't been able to bring myself to do so. Ditto my Lush lipstick in Confident, which is basically empty, but if I throw it out I won't be able to scrape the container when I need me some plum.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My issue is that in an attempt at self-limiting, I keep my lipsticks in a Muji container, and tell myself that only when I rotate one out can I rotate a new one in.

Right now I have one too many to fit. Technically I have this Clinique Pop brown-red that is broken and I don't think it's salvageable so I should bin it, but it's such a darn good color that I haven't been able to bring myself to do so. Ditto my Lush lipstick in Confident, which is basically empty, but if I throw it out I won't be able to scrape the container when I need me some plum.

Sounds like you need a bigger container.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    These lipstick stories are not helping me resist buying more inks, fwiw. Collecting pretty and moderately useful things is a healthy addiction though, right?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I hate only realizing a couple hours into wearing a sleeveless top that I haven't done my pits in a couple weeks.

• Options
    Got dem lipstix!

Assessment: all of the darker lipsticks look completely different and much darker on me than they did online, and much darker than they looked on any people on the internets that I saw had swatched them out. Also the formula for the darker lipsticks doesn't seem to really work for me...? They all applied semi-translucent, which didn't look so great, and didn't allow the true color of the lipstick to stand out because my natural lip color was in the mix.

But! One of the darker colors ended up looking really fab on me, and the bright colors look really nice too!? So that's a plus! I've learned that orange-reds work on me (unexpected!), burgundy-slight-browns work on me (unexpected!) and so do strong reds (also unexpected!)

So I'll call this a positive experiment. I learned about some new colors that work on me, and some that don't (very dark colors, and purplish colors). And so now, in the future I can actually buy these colors in high-quality liquid matte stay-forever lipsticks. :D

In other news: I still have no earthly idea how anybody can wear anything else but that kind of lipstick. Anything that isn't "dries on your lips and stays on with zero transfer even when you're eating and drinking" just seems like something that would end up all over my face and/or teeth within 5 minutes of me putting it on. I guess I tend to rub my lips together a lot, or something?

For reference, a friend suggested to me that I try out LA Splash liquid lipsticks a few years ago (the lip couture line specifically), and they remain the only lipstick that I've absolutely loved. They're opaque and have absolutely zero transfer, which is insane and incredible. I got three colors, but the 3rd is too much for me. The other two are neutrals and oh man they're great.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I swear to god if I end up watching youtube videos about lipstick tonight I'm going to blame you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I swear to god if I end up watching youtube videos about lipstick tonight I'm going to blame you.

I will rest only when you have become a licensed cosmetician.

• Options

I will rest only when you have become a licensed cosmetician.

30% of my recommended videos are now makeup and beauty stuff now because of the fingernail polish binge I went on 2 months ago.

So I guess I'm partway there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    I fuckin' love ankle boots. If I could I'd have hundreds of pairs.

• Options
    My friend was over a few weeks before I moved and they were putting something on the TV and noticed that there was a bunch of cosmetic recommended videos and they were like "why is it recommending all this stuff" to which I replied "because I can do whatever I want dad"

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My hair is refusing to be polite today.

It's just generally rude.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    ...Accidentally realizing in line at the bank I'm wearing green, black and brown, when a lady behind me commented that I match the building

Am I....am I cosplaying this bank brand? Did I make a mistake?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    ...Accidentally realizing in line at the bank I'm wearing green, black and brown, when a lady behind me commented that I match the building

Am I....am I cosplaying this bank brand? Did I make a mistake?

Environmental camouflage?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Maybe you could get really into it like these guys

19120w9frf1lcjpg.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    you gotta get your bank camo game up to heist level
    loveopum.ru-34s.jpg

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I presume those stairs retract somehow, or otherwise that vault door is never going to close.

• Options
    There's a seam, looks like they're removable at least.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My dentist decided I wasn't a candidate for Invisalign after all, so I'm getting braces on the 29th. Thanks, Army dentists, for removing a tooth and not mentioning I should get an implant or something put in to stop things from shifting.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Bless these fleece-lined leggings. I wear them under my normal pants and they make me warm even when it's freezing and snowing out, like today! They've gotten me through the past couple of years in New England without succumbing to hypothermia (both outdoors and in an ever-freezing office).

If anybody else is interested, this is the brand. SO freakin' wonderfully comfy, stretchy and soft. I was surprised to see some bad reviews - virtually all of them complain of the outer fabric pilling, which hasn't really happened to mine much at all, and I've had them for a few years now. They're super inexpensive though so if you're looking for a cheapo snuggle leg sock, they're perfect.

• Options
    I just invested in thermals and it is worth every single fucking penny.

• Options

I like to wear long sleeve thermal shirts as outerwear cause it makes me feel like a buff lumberjack (autocorrected to lumberman, which sounds sweet) when I'm actually a cardboard box of a person.

• Options

I like to wear long sleeve thermal shirts as outerwear cause it makes me feel like a buff lumberjack (autocorrected to lumberman, which sounds sweet) when I'm actually a cardboard box of a person.

It makes me look like santa wearing his normal shirt without the red coat over it.

But I don't care because I'm warm.

When I was ripped like jesus I used to do that though.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I may have done a silly thing. During a bought of insomnia last week I realised I was up at the same time that the new Echo Base collection was released from Columbia.

So now I guess I own one of 1980 coats styled to look like Han Solo's parka from Empire Stries Back?

5k3qSt4l.jpg

Now my dilemna is where do I wear this. Everywhere, right? It's everywhere.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Why is that a silly thing?

• Options
    How warm is it? I kind of want one, but at the same time, I think they'd just be too warm for me.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Why is that a silly thing?

It's a bit expensive, I think. But if you got it enough spare, why not.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's the most expensive item of clothing I've ever bought, but it's super warm. It's lined with a reflective material which is supposed to do a better job of keeping your body heat in whilst letting sweat wick out. So far in my test of walking to the car and back in -3C weather it was pretty nice!

They're entirely sold out online, unfortunately, but going on ebay for really silly amounts.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Yeah, file me down as jealous AF but realistically I only need jackets in the 5-10 range.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    If you live in a country where the temp can drop below 0c, I fully recommend you buy the most expensive winter coat you can afford.

And same for boots.

• Options
    dropping below freezing is like "everyday between december 1st and may 1st" in the winters in the north east

• Options
    My barbour winter jacket was expensive but worth every penny. That and a jumper underneath + wooly hat and I'm nice and warm even in the coldest UK temps.

• Options
    dropping below freezing is like "everyday between december 1st and may 1st" in the winters in the north east

How far below are we talking?

Where I live I don't it goes past -5 or -6c?

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

-5 to 5 f (-20 to -15) on average

but it's every single day

and that's before the wind chill drops it to like negative teens (THANKS POLAR JET STREAM)

and also the 4 feet of snow

• Options
    It's going to be about -5c all week this week and I am super bitter about it.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

-5 to 5 f (-20 to -15) on average

but it's every single day

and that's before the wind chill drops it to like negative teens (THANKS POLAR JET STREAM)

and also the 4 feet of snow

Yeah if I lived in an area where winters meant - 20c I would buy a Canada Goose jacket.

That kind of weather justifies a £650 coat. jesus wept that's cold

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Now I will preface this by saying, I am very impressed with everyone's communication right now. You are all doing great.

But if any of you say one temperature system is better than the other, and then have the nerve to argue about it like your argument will actually change someone's mind I will start cutting people.

Blake T on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Now I will preface this by saying, I am very impressed with everyone's communication right now. You are all doing great.

But if any of you say one temperature system is better than the other, and then have the nerve to argue about it like your argument will actually change someone's mind I will start cutting people.

Well, now that you're bringing it up...

• Options
    I prefer celceus but I'm a metric loving communist but seriously google has a tool that converts that shit for me. It takes all of 5 seconds for me to work out what American people mean when they give a temperature.

This discussion has been closed.