As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Roman man-things main-kill each other in Empire Divided for Rome II!

FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology
total-war-warhammer-2-has-been-announced-i-smell-a-rat-header.jpg

Silly man-things think-think it's just a rat. Fools...

Oh, uh, no Skavens here. No-no. They're a myth. Just ask the pointy-hat man- err... Inquisitors. They'll tell you we don't exist! Yes-yes!

But you aren't here about fake-fantasy rats, no, you're here to talk-talk about Total War, right?

Total_War_logo.png

Total War is a series of strategy games that cover many periods of man-thing history on Earth. The list of games are:

Total War: Shogun
Total War: Medieval
Total War: Rome
Total War: Medieval II
Total War: Empire
Total War: Napoleon
Total War: Shogun II
Total War: Rome II
Total War: Attila

...and the latest game Total War:Warhammer where you can kill-kill the man-things of the Empire or Bretonnia, the nasty Dwarfs, the dumb-stupid Greenskins and the rotting Vampire Counts.

I guess you can play-play them as well... for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxe897bW-A

Total War: Warhammer 2 is here! Get ready to kill-maim the arrogant High Elves, the vicious Dark Elves and the scaly Lizardmen for control of the Vortex. Shortly after release, those who own both games will be able to combine them to play a single massive campaign where all the dumb-dumb surfacers are fighting each other, unaware that we, the Skaven, Children of the Horned Rat are wai- ah, nothing-nothing to see here!

Oh, and the rat? It's just a rat. *snicker*

Mortal Empires are here! Tired of gutting elf-things and stab-stabbing lizard-things? Of course not! But if you own the first game and its DLC, why let that stop-stop you from heading back to the Old World and kill-main all the man-things and dwarf-things and green-things and undead-things and all the other things there? You don't even need to spend a single pebble of warpstone to own-take it either!

For Total War: Warhammer, there is DLC for those with the warpstone:

Warriors of Chaos lets you play as the Chaos-worshipping man-things from Norsca, and add Dragon Ogres and other nasty-nasty things to their armies when you fight against them.

Blood for The Blood God and lots of blood and gory bits whenever you kill-maim your enemy!

Call of the Beastmen Lets you play as the Beastmen. The primitive beasts those man-things in Brettonia always mistake us as have such creatures as Minotaurs and Cygors. The DLC also comes with a campaign for their leader, Kazrak One-Eye, for his quest of vengeance against the man-thing that took his eye.

The Grim and the Grave adds Volkmar da Grim, Arch Lectors, Free Company Milita, Flagellants and Knights of the Blazing Sun to the Empire (our Under-Empire is the *real* Empire) , and Heleman Ghorst, Corpse Carts and the Mortis Engine to the Vampire Counts! (They think they can rule-rule the surface better than us? pfft.) They also get Regiments of Renown, improved versions of units they already have which they can only have one of.

The King and The Warlord Add the factions of Skarsnik of the Crooked Moon with squigs, squig hoppers, nasty skulkers, and night goblin warboss, and Belegar Ironhammer of Clan Angrund with Rangers, Bolt Throwers, and Runelords, as well as Regiments of Renown for both, in their fight to reclaim Karak Eight-Peaks... Wait, no Queek? How can you have a battle-battle for Eight Peaks without Queek?

Realm of the Wood Elves Lets you play as the nasty-nasty Wood Elves of Athel Loren, both in the Old World and in their own campaign.

Norsca lets you kill-maim as, well, Norsca. Led by the Man-thing Wulfrik the Wanderer and the Troll King Throgg, they have nasty new monsters like Skinwolves, Fimir Warriors and the big-big Mammoths. If you buy-take the sequel, you get these-these without paying anything for them.

And for the better-best sequel:

Blood for the Blood God gives you the blood and dismemberment that makes sneaky-stabbing your rivals even better-better! If you already have the TW:Warhammer I version of this, you get this for free-free.

This man-thing can show you all the things you need to be victorious on the surface, and fellow clan-rat @Goumindong has acquired the knowledge of the weak-weak spells of the surfacers as well as the mechanical lore for combat.

For those who want to play the proper Skaven way, cheat-cheat until the game is just how you like it, there are mods, some of the favorites for the local clan-rats:

Conquer Anywhere Unique starting positions for Legendary Lords
No Aggressive Agents
Home Region Movement Bonus
Better AI unit composition
Kadoken wrote: »
Yes!

A lot in fact

And one that allows regional recruitment
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698364760

Can we put regional recruitment in the OP because it is my favorite pet thing

For those of you who prefer aesthetics over balance, I've released a mod which makes orc, chaos, beastmen, and vampire zombies/ghouls have slightly more varied unit spacing among themselves. IE, no more perfect rows of troops for them.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=745197488

Oh hey, more ways to get around one of the worst design decisions they kept in since Rome 2.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814992019

fpala8gw95e3.jpg

edit: now if they could bring back roads, and farms you don't have to use a slot for. Also external buildings not in the settlement that could be raided.
Make it the Shogun 2/FOTS region system is what I'm saying.

Maybe bring back Empire's village system, I liked that a lot, and I'm not sure why they got rid of it.
)
Warhammer - Modern Warfare
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796872429
Some people, they know exactly what I like
This mod redates Warhammer from a 16./17.th century inspired era into a 18./19.th century timeframe with many new units and some small changes. But the most important part of this mod is strategy. The new units are strong but only if you use them right and always adapt your strategies to the different enemies you fight. Getting engaged in melee early will likely end in a military disaster.
Barring a 40k Total War, I would love to see an alternate timeline Fantasy that shifted things up to the Victorian era. Like an Arcanum style Warhammer setting.

Frei wrote: »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn43y2tgl1sn3zf/WE_CrimsonGreen.pack?dl=0

Just plop it in the data folder within the Warhammer folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\data

If you want to have the de-cloned units, we made sure it worked with that, so just grab it from http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=824581936.

works with custom units as well, if you have any of those for Wood Elves. Note that it's only a mod for the main Wood Elf faction led by Orion. I think the others already have suitable recolors out, but Orion is stuck with baby puke green.

I found the perfect compromise to being able to settle everywhere and the regional occupation system

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907418812

This mod allows everyone to make Wood Elf style outposts in alien lands. So that orc warboss isn't going to try to rule over human lands with a greenskin bureaucracy taking taxes and such, but he will make a warcamp outpost for troops to come in and serve as a buffer.

If you wish to talk-talk about other Total War games, including the next historical title, you may do so man-things. In fact, Rome II has just got-got the Empire Divided DLC, focusing on the time-time the stupid man-thing Roman Empire nearly collapsed.

Now, Boneripper! Let us find-find my nemisises! That horrible slayer and his man-thing friend won't survive this time!

steam_sig.png
Foefaller on

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    So hype for Lizardmen

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    You not-not hype-pumped for great-mighty warlord Thanquol, strongest of all vermin-kin? Foolish man-things! Thanquol will crush-kill elf-things, lizard-things and man-things! All will know-fear the might-strength of the Skaven! Wait, what do you mean-say? We secret-hide?...

...it is nothing. We just rat-vermin. Nothing to see-find here-here. Yes-yes. Nothing.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    You not-not hype-pumped for great-mighty warlord Thanquol, strongest of all vermin-kin? Foolish man-things! Thanquol will crush-kill elf-things, lizard-things and man-things! All will know-fear the might-strength of the Skaven! Wait, what do you mean-say? We secret-hide?...

...it is nothing. We just rat-vermin. Nothing to see-find here-here. Yes-yes. Nothing.

total-war-warhammer-2-2017331173454_1.jpg

There is nothing scratched-written on the bottom of the I on the right-right. No-no, nothing at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Disappeared

The populace in one of your settlements is gradually vanishing! On certain nights, whole ghettos or districts are left abandoned - the only clue for the remaining denizens is a triangular symbol daubed on a nearby gate or wall...

They have merely gone-left for a skitter-walk. Everything is fine-fine.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    coldone.jpg

Dark Elves also have dinosaurs

Guess I know which faction I'm playing second

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ah, cold ones.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Hello, new thread!
    TWW2 will be fun.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'm pretty glad that Skaven are probably in 2, because I don't really care for playing knife ears or toads. I don't really care for playing non-human/dorf factions in general but a new world map with no humans or dorfs would be a great time to play around with ratling gunners and doomwheels.

• Options
    That's what you say when you haven't been in the crosshairs of a repeater bolt thrower.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Just had a fun siege versus Chaos as Clan Angmar where Chaos Warriors were running up a choke point and I was having my last stand. I figured I had lost so I decided to personally man a cannon and fire at the Chaos Hordes. Well. That actually caused me to win the game as I was able to continuously shoot accurate fire down this corridor killing 10-20 guys per shot. After the Melee horde was dead I was able to take my Army remnants and swarm Prince Charming. He ended up breaking and fleeing because his Morale broke against the some 350 angry Midgets that attacked him.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Been playing a bit of Rome 2.

I love the look of the game and i love Roman history.

However, boy does the game play a bit rough and the UI isn't as intuitive as Warhammer. It's hard to put my finger on what the differences are but Warhammer just flows a lot easier.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    I also think that Warhammer might be the first game where they have a good balance between artillery, cavalry and infantry. At least sufficient enough that a singleplayer gamer picks a mix between units and not just "I'm going to field 100% demigryph/giants/Grail Knights".

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Its the first time they have finally gotten cavalry to work well as intended, rather than just boosting stats so they don't just get butchered in combat

• Options
    Carson VendettaCarson Vendetta Registered User regular
    I think that warhammer is much more explicit on benefits are has much simpler explanation of what detracts from order. Rome had to deal with income/food/squalor/production and balance that against the whole empire.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2017
    I also think that Warhammer might be the first game where they have a good balance between artillery, cavalry and infantry. At least sufficient enough that a singleplayer gamer picks a mix between units and not just "I'm going to field 100% demigryph/giants/Grail Knights".

Maybe you don't field 19 Steam Tanks, but winners do.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Been playing a bit of Rome 2.

I love the look of the game and i love Roman history.

However, boy does the game play a bit rough and the UI isn't as intuitive as Warhammer. It's hard to put my finger on what the differences are but Warhammer just flows a lot easier.

See. I like Attila: Total War, but my gripe with it is that its not challenging. I mean, yeah, the first 40-80 turns as the Romans can be rough, but it becomes an "empire simulator" after a while as your enemies are defeated rather quickly. They never really pose any threat besides the Huns. The Huns are the only real challenge in the game.

• Options
    And the Huns cheat; the instant you destroy an army a new stack spawns in their corner of the map. And they get all tier 2 & tier 3 cards.

• Options
    So which wizards are good?

Empire has so many

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I tend to favour good buff/debuff spells over straight damage spells, so I think celestial wizards are pretty good. Light wizards have that spell that stops enemy movement and roots them in place which is amazingly powerful for neutering enemy cavalry charges and then crushing them before they can move out again.

I rather like shadow too, and jade for big aoe healing spells.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Light mages are really useful against marauders and black knights. Kill the knights in an undead force and you have neutered much of the army's offensive power.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I like the life dudes. Having healers can help a ton.

• Options
    I liked Bright Wizards. The whole fire thing and fire damage being extra good versus Undead was fun.

Just hope Magic gets an overhaul for the next expansion. Magic is still in a bad place.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Empire has so many

Bright wizards for hero sniping, light wizards for ranged synergy by netting would be my top 2.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    If you want damage, Bright Wizards for fire damage, Grey Wizards for random-free AoE damage, or Celestial Wizard for pinpoint anti-elite/monster damage.

If you want strategic support, Light with it's net and buffs, particularly the "these guys will never fleet" buff.

If you want healing and defensive buffs, Jade with two healing spells and Shield of Thorns.

If you want offensive buffs and a flying monster summon, Amber.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

Empire has so many

Bright wizards for hero sniping, light wizards for ranged synergy by netting would be my top 2.

Do you just target their Heroes with Fireballs?

• Options
    Waffen wrote: »

Empire has so many

Yep, overcharge Fireball to open the fight. Pair that with the Luminark first shot and they'll be just about dead right as they get into range.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options

Empire has so many

Yep, overcharge Fireball to open the fight. Pair that with the Luminark first shot and they'll be just about dead right as they get into range.

For the campaign, in theory, if you find multiple fireball rings, isn't that a little OP then for hero sniping? I imagine having 4 fireballs every 30 seconds being flung at enemy heroes being deadly.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Empire has so many

For the campaign, in theory, if you find multiple fireball rings, isn't that a little OP then for hero sniping? I imagine having 4 fireballs every 30 seconds being flung at enemy heroes being deadly.

It is the worst. Especially as VC. The AI has done it to me sometimes.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Very hard dawi run is going well.

I lucked out and managed to push in on orks before they confederated. My push got repelled, but they never recovered from my destroying those armies.

Chaos decided to ignore an undefended empire settlement to run directly for 2 armies in the under way.
    The slayer lords army was trapped, an army before them, the great dragon orgre Shaggoth numbers in from the rear with a vast horde of chosen. The slayer lord and his guard of longbeards turned about face and charged straight into the din of battle. The slayer managed to decapitate Shaggoth in haste, only to be assaulted in the rear by the enemy cavalry.

I want to write more, it was an epic fight.

EDIT: Several company of riflemen gathered on the flank; they made a turkey shoot out of the oncoming chaos chosen attempting to envelope the army through the rear. The longbeards fought long and hard; the rear guard held the line. In their company were 2 grudge throwers; the crews were having such a jolly good time that they jeered at the man things as boulders crashed into them. The grudge commander promised a beer for every body accrued at their feet; he came to regret the promise. That much alcohol could very well kill a dawi.

EDIT: Ungrim was faced with an easy decision, charged into the remaining of Shaggoth's host, or turn into Archaon's cavalry charge. He would have been happy to take care of the mage himself, looking all frumpy on that damned steed of his, but in the blood lust he noticed that his beserkers happily charged into the horsemen screaming, "We got them tin cans mi LORD; they didn't bring enough plate to stop our axes!"

I want to write more, it was an epic fight.

It ended with a horde of 10 man dwarf squads chasing down the hell cannons. Those siege weapons killed about half my army by themselves.

A heroic phyric victory

Kruite on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I've taken to auto resolving most fights with Chaos. Especially with Varg etc as most of their armies consist mainly of chariots.

Chaos is the only faction I don't really enjoy fighting against.

I've been playing as Empire recently.

Really like how every campaign plays out differently. Me and Bretonnia are currently going to town of Cary and Skaeling together. Everyone is picking on vampires and the orc have wiped out the Dwarves.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    I have now brought irondrakes into every fight with chaos. They obliterate chariots and trolls and giants and cavalry. Long campaign (very hard) complete

• Options
    When fighting the autoconstructed Chaos armies as Dwarves, it really makes your life easier to have a couple gyros. The AI will almost never send forces back to guard the hellcannons, so you can then just force melee with gyros and/or spam bombs and you'll eventually win. Then your mainline just needs to not break.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    According to the official forums some details about the Lizardman campaign have been revealed in a magazine.

Apparently they will be able to see a "geomantic web" of mystical leylines on the campaign map. They will want to control areas on leylines, but other races will not be able to see it, making their movements and decisions seemingly random.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Iblis wrote: »
    According to the official forums some details about the Lizardman campaign have been revealed in a magazine.

Apparently they will be able to see a "geomantic web" of mystical leylines on the campaign map. They will want to control areas on leylines, but other races will not be able to see it, making their movements and decisions seemingly random.

Classic Lizardmen. That happens all the time in lore, the Slann will need to mess around somewhere and a huge Lizardman army will show up and wreck the place and no one will know why. Or a Slann will decide they need to reclaim a relic that was looted from an empty Lustrian city 200 years ago and invade the nation that currently holds it, again without the inhabitants having any idea why they're being invaded. Inscrutably cold-blooded buggers.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah, it's a neat little gimmick. Especially if they make it randomized for each campaign.

Also they indirectly confirmed the second Lizardmen Legendary Lord:
    18238610_1459199577488571_1814541189413031410_o.jpg?oh=c969874a6435075b3d0d87b6b8e4ea0c&oe=59C0CCBE

Grymloq being Kroq-gar's personal mount. Also as a Transformers nerd Grymloq makes me happy.

• Options
    While Kroq-gar makes sense (considering his association with Mazdamundi) I was really hoping for Gor-Rok.

• Options
    So because CA learns some lessons and not others, what do you think the pre-order DLC could be? Last time it was an important race to the game but there's not that many big races with modern codices left. I think, unless they do something utterly stupid like make Skaven the pre-order race, the contenders are: Amazons (which had models but in early editions), Araby (Who has a presence in the Southlands and early models as well), Estalian/Tilean Colonies (Which could lead to neat events between the homeland and colobies, add extra land for Estalia and Tilea, or be a vassal on the megamap), Clan Pestilens Skaven in Skavenblight for the megacampaign and WH1, a beastman tribe in Naggaroth, or Chaos again in Naggaroth.

Estalia and Tilea would be the easiest to do, just give the units a conquistador feel to them. Araby would be neat and they had a decently fleshed out roster I believe. Amazons don't really have anything fleshing them out but would be cool to have even as a regiment of renown. Pestilens could be a crossover thing, basically while we wait for WH2 we'd get a taste of them.

Or maybe, improbably, a Cathayan colony on the Southlands, a region they warred with Araby for?

• Options
    So because CA learns some lessons and not others, what do you think the pre-order DLC could be? Last time it was an important race to the game but there's not that many big races with modern codices left. I think, unless they do something utterly stupid like make Skaven the pre-order race, the contenders are: Amazons (which had models but in early editions), Araby (Who has a presence in the Southlands and early models as well), Estalian/Tilean Colonies (Which could lead to neat events between the homeland and colobies, add extra land for Estalia and Tilea, or be a vassal on the megamap), Clan Pestilens Skaven in Skavenblight for the megacampaign and WH1, a beastman tribe in Naggaroth, or Chaos again in Naggaroth.

Estalia and Tilea would be the easiest to do, just give the units a conquistador feel to them. Araby would be neat and they had a decently fleshed out roster I believe. Amazons don't really have anything fleshing them out but would be cool to have even as a regiment of renown. Pestilens could be a crossover thing, basically while we wait for WH2 we'd get a taste of them.

Or maybe, improbably, a Cathayan colony on the Southlands, a region they warred with Araby for?

CA has said race #4 won't be pre-order dlc (I saw it first as a response to a post on their Facebook page, but I think I've seen it official somewhere.) So 99.99% chance that Skaven won't be DLC... and like you said, they're running out of main factions.

Personally, I'm guess/hoping that the preorder bonus for Total Warhammer 2 is Skaven for Total Warhammer 1. But rather than pay-for DLC you get for getting the sequel, it's either part of the bonus for owning both games, or some FLC that they have planned to release when the sequel is released, but pre-ordering means you get to play as Skaven now, and not wait X months for the next game and the combined campaign map to kill-main man-things, green-things, dwarf-things and dead-things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Early Access Old-World Skaven would be the best pre-order bonus. Could also do Tomb Kings, but they'll make more sense as DLC. Could do Undead Legion with some VC units and some Tomb King units mixed, but that's more End Times.

Another possibility is to do a modified God-aligned Chaos Faction. Or maybe something out of left field like Vampire Coast, but honestly nothing sounds like a really good option outside of early access for Skaven.

This discussion has been closed.