As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] Roman man-things main-kill each other in Empire Divided for Rome II!

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I started the fifth ritual as High Elves, with the ritual cities being my capital, the city on the peninsula on the northern part of the inner ring, and one city over in dark elf land.
    Five Skaven armies spawned in the northern part of the inner circle. One of them went for the ritual site, and the other four went for a smaller city, for some reason.
    I had a full army in that city, and upgraded walls/garrison.

The result:
    High Elves: 2450 deployed, 1545 remaining
    Skaven: 9526 deployed, 2966 remaining.
    The city held. That was a LOT of rats.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've had some incredibly lopsided battles while trying to get Skrulk off my continent.

Man my Teclis campaign is fun but kind of a slog. I've never fought this many battles before. I have a lot of public order problems and have nearly eradicated skrolk and the vampires, but towards the north Morathi is rampaging unchecked. Her and Naggaroth are at positions 1 & 2 for power, they might just run away with the ball at this point. If I manage to beat her back (I'm having to recruit emergency lords because no one is nearby) I'll probably have to push up and fight the DE directly if I want to win.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    The auto-resolve meter is definitely borked. I've had many occasions playing on Normal or Hard where auto-resolve showed 50/50 or worse, and using artillery/ranged/hammer and anvil tactics I've easily won. It also gives me a 'Close Victory" or "Pyrrhic Victory" even though I wiped out most of the enemy and lost few troops. I wonder what kind of math goes into auto-resolve, like if it simply adds up unit costs or takes into account rock/paper/scissors of the army composition

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I agree they wimped on the finale of the ritual race, but I kinda get it, given all the time it takes to get there. I do think that the chaos/skaven armies that pop up when you ritual are good though. Yes they razed my minor settlements on their way, they should! It's bad and scary and is also just about the only reason I couldn't run away with the game even more than I was. Pushing back on me as the human player made the game overall more interesting.

I also had a great thematic end, where I had armies off crushing the high elves (Hell yes I'll raze Lotheren) but that left only a couple stacks back home. So of course the skaven all spawn way south down in previous morathi land while all my ritual sites are right around Naggarond. I could'nt run anyone down there, and could not really afford to make another lord, so it was just garrison after garrison battle, most with walls, where I tried to snipe out important skaven units. They may have razed the earth, but I made them pay in blood every step of the way. By the time they GOT to Naggarond they were so haggard I could just auto resolve and barely lose anything, because I'd chipped away their abominations, cannons, catapults, death globes, ogres etc. etc.
    It also felt so right as the DE to just say "you will fight, and you will die to preserve Malekith and Naggarond" And since it WAS the ritual end, I loved the idea of just leaving those razed cities, because ya'll can go to hell, I'm becoming a god.

SO yeah, I guess I liked it pretty well overall, even if it's not quite perfect. Will be interested to see what sort of tweaking they do.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    The auto-resolve meter is definitely borked. I've had many occasions playing on Normal or Hard where auto-resolve showed 50/50 or worse, and using artillery/ranged/hammer and anvil tactics I've easily won. It also gives me a 'Close Victory" or "Pyrrhic Victory" even though I wiped out most of the enemy and lost few troops. I wonder what kind of math goes into auto-resolve, like if it simply adds up unit costs or takes into account rock/paper/scissors of the army composition

Victory type also depends on the balance of power. So if you're much stronger than them theoretically then you are less likely to get quality victory types

wbBv3fj.png
    Heroic victory requires you to win against heavy odds. Generally if autoresolve gets a valiant defeat, I can win the battle manually, but not always.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    I had the undead brettonia faction attempt to siege me with a vampire lord and an entire stack of grail knights. If they'd gotten through the gates it might have gotten really bad!

How the fuck did they think they were getting through the gates

It was a fucking abattoir.

Just lots of archers and artillery, or something more?

Edit: also, I autoresolve more than I should, because I am bad at actual tactics.

Fencingsax on
    I just had a ton of archers on the gates and the towers. They could have battered down the doors and gotten an electoral college victory, but they didn't.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Skaven catapults are b-a-n-a-n-a-s

nrr1jymtlypn.png

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Skaven catapults are b-a-n-a-n-a-s

nrr1jymtlypn.png

Now get 3 units of WLCs and see how well the enemy fights when the enemy lord died before the first enemy unit even reached your lines.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Skaven are cool and all but jesus Christ multiple armies with lots of skavenslaves and clanrats fucking tanks my framerate

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Skaven are cool and all but jesus Christ multiple armies with lots of skavenslaves and clanrats fucking tanks my framerate

Yeah but you can judge the course of battle entirely by how your fps returns to normal as you kill of scores of them.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Skaven have by far the best artillery of the new races.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

Yeah but you can judge the course of battle entirely by how your fps returns to normal as you kill of scores of them.

Just upgraded my computer. I checked the improved performance by just making multiple skaven armies duke it out at the same time.

edited October 2017
    Last ritual spoilers
    Oh, those 5 Skaven armies at the start of the last ritual weren't the end, I guess. Here's 6 more midway through.

Also, how the hell did they LAUNCH that rocket?

Ivar on
    I installed a 200% unit size and oh my god so many rats

I installed a 200% unit size and oh my god so many rats

Screenshot, screenshot!

5746AA2D4CD2F1EF4CCE60526637FD99969E9F87

Ivar wrote: »
    Last ritual spoilers
    Oh, those 5 Skaven armies at the start of the last ritual weren't the end, I guess. Here's 6 more midway through.

Also, how the hell did they LAUNCH that rocket?
    Skaven are by far the most technologically advanced of the species. Besides, with warpstone magic to circumvent the normal efficiency barriers launching a spacecraft is a lot easier in the warhammer universe.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    5746AA2D4CD2F1EF4CCE60526637FD99969E9F87
    My god... it's full of rats!

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Mortal Empires has now been confirmed as being released on 26th Oct as per CA's Facebook page.

Skrolk's current army is 4375 strong.

My current army is nothing but Lothern Sea Guard and archers. I may even swap the archers out, because sea guard are almost as good and can also throw down.

5E4A9637182B8655C60EA0D7B455298560F0655A

All of the rats

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Mortal Empires has now been confirmed as being released on 26th Oct as per CA's Facebook page.

There's a leak of the world map for it, composited out of datamined ocean colour info and province name text (which matches the ocean placements). If you want to check it out, the image is here, but be aware that it's huge.

Main points are that the continents are very cramped together (little ocean), the southern tips have been chopped off (Queek and Teclis starting locations needing to be moved), and there's a lot of empty space in the east (presumably for the to-come addition of the third game).

hoooo my god. Oh, and look, that is the first day of my three day weekend!

It will be glorious

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I like the cramping of the ocean. Does anyone yearn for the days that it took multiple turns in med II to get to the Americas or the theatre system of Empire?

Not that I wouldn't mind an Empire 2 or Vicky Total War bringing back that system if necessary.

SKAVENBLIGHT!

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Man Araby would fit right in there. Tilea too(I’m still wondering if Norsca having a special bonus for taking over Tilea wasn’t foreshadowing.)

I’m also guessing the big space to the east is totally a reserved spot for ogres and chaos dwarves.

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    So I've been running nothing but sea guard, some ballista, and a hero or two. Just finished my first stack of Phoenix guard, sea guards, and star dragons. Excited to see how this does.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Phoenix Guard have a rather slow attack speed due to their halberds. I had great success mixing Swordmasters of Hoeth with Phoenix Guard. It gives you a nice boost in DPS so your front line is less likely to get bogged down on fodder units.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular

There's a leak of the world map for it, composited out of datamined ocean colour info and province name text (which matches the ocean placements). If you want to check it out, the image is here, but be aware that it's huge.

Main points are that the continents are very cramped together (little ocean), the southern tips have been chopped off (Queek and Teclis starting locations needing to be moved), and there's a lot of empty space in the east (presumably for the to-come addition of the third game).

Mind they were going to move Queek anyway, as he's joining the rush for Karak Eight Peaks.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »

Mind they were going to move Queek anyway, as he's joining the rush for Karak Eight Peaks.

His new start position sounds awesome to shake up the Orc v. Dwarfness of the area.

Oh yeah, I'm excited for it myself. I was itching to do another Skaven campaign after I finish up my current Malekith campaign, and this gives me a good reason to. Even if I am a little nervous about the turn timers on my ancient PC.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Anyone know if it's possible to mod the game such that Lothern Sea Guard start off without Skirmish mode on?

EDIT: I'm asking for a friend, who's tired of his melee lines dissolving in the first charge.

EDIT2: Totally not me. I'd never make such a rookie mistake over and over again.

Elvenshae on
    Wonder if early game skaven will feel like early game greenskins, just that feeling of "ugh, fuck dealing with the dawi untill I get more AP." Skulkers helped a lot with that, but they are dlc.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to mod the game such that Lothern Sea Guard start off without Skirmish mode on?

EDIT: I'm asking for a friend, who's tired of his melee lines dissolving in the first charge.

EDIT2: Totally not me. I'd never make such a rookie mistake over and over again.

It's an option under game settings I think. For all ranged units.

edited October 2017
    Wonder if early game skaven will feel like early game greenskins, just that feeling of "ugh, fuck dealing with the dawi untill I get more AP." Skulkers helped a lot with that, but they are dlc.

I think he's starting far south in the Badlands, I assume partially to avoid this particular issue since Lizardmen can be kind of a pain for Skaven early on and they don't even have as much armor as Dwarfs. So ideally by the time you start fighting them you should be at tier three where you can recruit more rat ogres and globadiers. I think the only Dwarf faction that way is Karak Azul, but I think he'll probably be more concerned with the Top Knotz (which also alleviates another pain in the ass for the badlands region, the Top Knotz growing out of control down south while all the Greenskins and Dwarfs duke it out up north).

Iblis on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Queeks starting position is going to be a godsend for Vampires.

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.