As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about some coffee

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I drink coffee occasionally

Though mostly from a drip machine because I can't be bothered.

Put it in a cup first you animal!

Slacker71
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I drink coffee occasionally

Though mostly from a drip machine because I can't be bothered.

Put it in a cup first you animal!
    Are you suggesting he doesn't drink his coffee in a normal human father-type way?

sig.gif
    Raijin QuickfootsarukunSlacker71
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    coffee makes me vom :(

Doomed to be tired all the time

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There are approximately 1 kajillion other ways to get caffeine in this our modern society, coffee is just the best.

MetalbourneNightDragonTallahasseerielDarmakDoobhToxsarukunMadEddyHeadCreeps
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I actually just replaced the mesh in my french press, you can get a pair of them for like eight bucks on amazon

The sizes are standardized so you should be able to just find one based on the diameter of your pot

my french press is a travel mug and the screen/plunger/lid are all integral

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Peen wrote: »
    There are approximately 1 kajillion other ways to get caffeine in this our modern society, coffee is just the best.

This is how I feel about beer.

But if I drink mugs of beer all day at work they "frown on it."

Such a ridiculous double standard.

DeadfallToxPeter EbelSlacker71
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

I drink some tea, but I had to stop drinking soft drinks and I'm not sure where else to get decent amounts of caffeine.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

I drink some tea, but I had to stop drinking soft drinks and I'm not sure where else to get decent amounts of caffeine.

Honestly, if just getting caffeine is your main draw, there are caffeine pills! I've used them before when I go on trips where a cup of coffee in the morning isn't likely or possible (because I am a bit addicted to it now! I get a headache if I don't have it for a day). A single pill equals about one strong cup of coffee.

Allyxia
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    After the amount of coke and coffee I have drunk I'm basically immune to it? Like I dont get caffeine withdrawal or any kind of energy from them. Weird

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love me either some pour-over or cold brew coffee. When I can be bothered I'll pick up a fresh roasted bag of beans from the local coffee place. I prefer a breakfast style blend. Just a dash of real cream once the cup is brewed. Mmmm heaven.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I actually just replaced the mesh in my french press, you can get a pair of them for like eight bucks on amazon

The sizes are standardized so you should be able to just find one based on the diameter of your pot

You might try soaking it in oxiclean and scrubbing it with a plastic bristle dish brush. I would recommend bleach, but if you can't separate the metal screen from the rubber outer ring, it might do damage to it.

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    I'm the worst.

I use a Keurig. But I use a reusable metal filter and ground Tim Horton's dark roast coffee and not pods(because most pods aren't environmentally friendly).

One day I will try some fancypants brand of coffee that isn't some kind of Starbucks Candy-in-a-Cup™.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

hmmm yeah, if it can't be unscrewed and disassembled you might be SOL

I boiled it in vinegar.

If it's unclean now it's going to require a priest

Mr. ButtonsDoobhLalabox
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oxiclean free might work of the vinegar didn't get it all.

It is a fragrance free kind. It is very similar to products used to clean brewing equipment of heavy soils before sanitation.

Just let it soak for a while maybe shake it and get in with a cheap toothbrush and scrub all surfaces you can reach. Then make sure to rinse it very well with cold water.

webguy20
    edited April 2017
    lol I just washed it out one more time and made some coffee in it. It tastes like a clean mug!

Metalbourne on
    Tallahasseerielwebguy20WyvernWassermeloneSorceMr. ButtonspookaLalaboxsarukunPeenOatsXaquinTonkkaMadEddyHeadCreepsToxPeter EbelSlacker71
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    have you tried yerba mate? it also has a couple more xanthines than just caffeine, but everyone i got feedback from at the teashop (including myself) found it to be a much smoother stimulant -- no caffeine/sugar crash.
    the flavor of it straight-up is not for everyone, as it basically tastes like grass, but i quickly developed a liking for it. it's also really refreshing with lemonade and/or mint tea. weirdly, it took on a bit of a light chocolatey flavor when mixed with the right proportion of soy milk.

lfchwLd.jpg
    MetalbournePsykomaMadEddy
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    There are a weirdly high number of great small-batch roasters in the Shenandoah valley and it means that I get a fuckton of mileage out of a Hario mini grinder and aeropress

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm finding that decaf coffee can be pretty good! People tend to act surprised when I say this, but I love the taste of coffee and use it as a comfort drink. Been working off my caffeine addiction over the past year to great success, too!

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Peen
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I'm a big old baby man, so I drink all my coffees milked and sugared to heck.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I'm a big old baby man, so I drink all my coffees milked and sugared to heck.

I usually add a nice glug of hazelnut creamer to my morning coffee, but I'm just using cheap-o tinned coffee and a drip machine.

I decided to buy the cheapest coffee available at Ralph's ( the "Psst!" non-brand generic stuff) and it was not the worst. I definitely cannot tell the difference between it and the regular Ralph's brand stuff, or like Folgers, once I add creamer.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So, legit question about the thing that is coffee

My wife and I buy the cheap, storebrand grounds, and I also put what even I will admit is an unreasonable amount of sugar in mine.

Is there any reason for us to use anything other than the standard electric brewer? I mean, we're not gonna spend the money on whole beans. I could maaaybe talk her into something preground if it was a good deal (like Dunkin donuts or something).

Is it worth messing with a french press or any other fancy coffee contraption?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i like my moka pot

one of my housemates bought an espresso machine as well and it's pretty good

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

My wife and I buy the cheap, storebrand grounds, and I also put what even I will admit is an unreasonable amount of sugar in mine.

Is there any reason for us to use anything other than the standard electric brewer? I mean, we're not gonna spend the money on whole beans. I could maaaybe talk her into something preground if it was a good deal (like Dunkin donuts or something).

Go for better beans first, and if you want to vary from the standard electric do the kettle and pour over method. The pour over cup that sits over your coffee cup costs like $5.

1. Set pour over on coffee cup, put in filter
    2. Boil water
    3. Set kettle aside for 30s
    4. pour ground coffee into filter about 2/3ish full
    5. after the 30s pour in hot water just enough to wet grounds, let rest 30s
    6. start pouring again, keeping water just above level of grounds
    7. When water is about 1/2-2/3 full in cup I stop pouring and let the drip finish out. I keep a spare mug handy in case I over pour a bit.
    8. Bring water back to boil and repeat previous steps for any other cups of coffee you're making.

I like my beans slightly course for doing pour over.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    What is a moka pot?

300px-Moka_Express_sideview.png

It's a little stove top coffee maker. You use very finely ground coffee with it. I typically use cafe la llave espresso for it. It's one of the ways to make cuban coffee, the other way is with an espresso machine, but you usually jam shit into the top of the espresso machine so it breaks the espresso machine over time, also espresso machines are expensive and moka pots aren't.

There are essentially three chambers. A bottom chamber that you fill with water. A middle chamber that is removable that you fill with the finely ground coffee that you tamp down to make very densely packed, and a top chamber that starts up empty. You put it all on the stove. As the bottom heats up, the water gets under greater and greater pressure, eventually enough to force itself through the coffee grounds and into the upper chamber. The first results out of the chamber are always very rich, and this is the part you pour out and beat with the brown sugar to make the espumita if you are making cuban coffee. Anyway, eventually it all bubbles to the top and it produces a very strong, very rich espresso style coffee. Which you can drink straight, but even someone like me who tends to drink his coffee black usually cuts it with milk or sugar. Just less milk and sugar than the average cuban in my family. :P

Alternatively known as "abuelita's cafe cubano-maker".

InquisitorSorce
    edited April 2017
    webguy20 wrote: »

Go for better beans first, and if you want to vary from the standard electric do the kettle and pour over method. The pour over cup that sits over your coffee cup costs like $5.

2. Boil water
    7. When water is about 1/2-2/3 full in cup I stop pouring and let the drip finish out. I keep a spare mug handy in case I over pour a bit.
    8. Bring water back to boil and repeat previous steps for any other cups of coffee you're making.

That...is drip coffee. I have a machine that does that :P

e: The moka pot intrigues me

Tox on
    edited April 2017
    webguy20 wrote: »

2. Boil water

That...is drip coffee. I have a machine that does that :P

e: The moka pot intrigues me

The drip machine doesn't do it as well. The pour over is all about the temperature of the water used and when. I love my drip machine, especially the auto start timer, but pour over will make a better cup of coffee.

webguy20 on
    Eh. I'm mainly looking for a way to make coffee on the days where we don't have to get up to alarms. Because those days, I'm up early enough before my wife that I could make coffee in like a french press or something

a lot of the moka pots i've seen are italian or french

it's not as strong as espresso coffee since it can't really match the high pressure and heat that an espresso machine generates, so it's much more about drinking it pretty straight with a splash of milk etc, rather than espresso coffee, which in australia often tends to have much more milk to a quite strong shot.

but i love it

edited April 2017
    So no matter how you decide to make your coffee, one of the biggest factors will be the temperature of the water and freshness of the beans, and how they are used together. French press is fun, but read a guide on what the water temperature should be and all that, I don't really know enough about them but I imagine its going to be similar to the pour over as far as that stuff goes.

I wanna say @timspork's ghost is way into his coffee. Sorry Tim if it's not you!

webguy20 on
    it's 4pm and i kinda feel like making myself a mug of coffee now

Metalbournewebguy20
    Also turns out i could fit a lot more grounds into my moka pot if i wanted to actually try compacting it down but i've already got a slightly big one where i normally used 3 tablespoons on beans so i probably don't need to make it any stronger

edited April 2017
    oh and the coffee was good

Edit:jesus christ i have reminded myself why i only drink coffee in the morning usually

I am tense and jittery as fuck

i'm only 24 years old why does this always happen

Edit2:i have calmed down and i feel good now

Lalabox on
    Lalabox wrote: »
    oh and the coffee was good

Edit:jesus christ i have reminded myself why i only drink coffee in the morning usually

I am tense and jittery as fuck

i'm only 24 years old why does this always happen

Edit2:i have calmed down and i feel good now

don't end up like me kid
    *shows off coffee IV drip*

NightDragonMadEddywebguy20
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Drink weaker coffee, or drink it slower. And don't have it on an empty stomach. Then you can enjoy the bliss of caffeine without the problems!

Also: french presses are super cheap and super easy to use. If you're curious about them, there's no harm in buying one. I prefer iced coffee virtually all the time, so I cold brew mine in the fridge overnight, in a french press. Easiest thing in the world.

Throw coffee grounds (a little more than normal) into press. Fill with lukewarm or cold water. Press floating ground beans down just enough so the press+plunger will fit into your fridge, and so all the grounds are covered in water.

When you wake up, you just take it out the the fridge, press the plunger all the way down, and pour over ice. Yumyumyumyumyum

WassermeloneMetalbournewebguy20
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Yay coffeeeeee

I have a Rok manual espresso deal and a Hario Vacuum deal and a Bruer cold brewer and they're all great though the Hario doesn't get used super often cos it's the most rigmarole to use and pre coffee is not a great time for rigmarole.

Sometimes I put a dash of tonic syrup in the cold drip when I add soda water. It's good. You can also pour a shot of espresso on a glass of tonic water and ice, but you get a lot of head that way. Heh.

well after fucking myself up a bit i'm going great now

i really should not have drunk that on an empty stomache

that was dumb as hell

Metalbourne
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I have a weird thing with coffee, in that it doesn't really have very much of an effect for me 99% of the time, but then every now and then that 1% hits and I'm a buzzing mess for a few hours off one normal cup for no apparent reason.

Lalabox
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    coffee sometimes makes me poop all day long

broken image link
    LalaboxVeldrinMetalbournewebguy20
    back when i first started seeing a therapist she got me to completely quite caffeine for a few months

to be fair i was anxious as hell, i had developed sleeping problems, and had a twitch in my left eye

so it probably made sense to go from having two to four shots a day to nothing for a while

and it's been nice now mostly having coffee either as a social thing every once in a while, or just having a nice cup as part of a morning ritual on some of the days when i get up early.

coffee is good mostly

webguy20