As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about some coffee

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Yeah the Keurig machine at work always made....the worst coffee.

I also like mine strong, and if you ask it to brew you a "strong cup" it makes you 1/4 of a cup. So you have to do it more than once to actually get a solid amount of strong coffee.

I don't really get the mass appeal of these machines to be honest.

I tend to be able to drink coffee from anywhere, no matter how bad and till appreciate really nice coffee.

But remember the coffee machine at the place we worked?
    And the time period it wasnt cleaned frequently enough

And fruit flies colonized it

I have a severe distrust of all coffee machines now

Ahahaha oh god. I actually never used that machine, but I heard about it.

What I do remember from that place were the super expensive and awful microwaves that nobody could figure out how to use.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    okay i just looked up vacuum pots

why are they called vacuum pots they are never sub atmospheric

(and therefore i was mistaken in my earlier post in assuming that they involved lower boiling temperatures)

seems like a cool way to brew coffee I guess. Not sure if there is really a benefit there or not

I think the most direct benefit is complete immersion like the French press, with complete temperature control through the entire brew. There's supposed to be some perception benefits as well, the shape of the bowl leading to an aroma that can't come out the same way in other being vessels. It's been years since I had a cup out of one, but I remember that I thought it was amazing. It's likely that the coffee was around the same as other methods, but the appeal of the pot and the process made it taste better.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If you want to experiement with doing real good cold drip, the Bruer is a great tool for the job. Super controllable, pretty much set and forget overnight and you end up with super nice coffee. It really does make a difference using a proper cold drip method over using a french press and letting the grind just sit in the water, in my opinion. Also you can adjust ratios to end up with a concentrate that you can then use with hot water if you want to. They have some blog entries on their site for that sort of thing.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So does coffee from a moka/brikka pot compare to drip? Like, flavor wise? Is it just stronger (more condensed)? Or is it actually smoother or fuller or anything like that?

I may look into a french press just because I know you can do cold brew and I know cold brew has a much smoother/less bitter flavor, even if you heat it up

Coffee from a moka pot is very concentrated. It's closer to espresso than drip coffee.

I'd recommend making cold brew in bulk, might as well for time reasons, and then you can keep a jug in your fridge and pour it out either over ice or into something else to heat it up first.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Sometimes I go to the starbucks in my store and order just a straight espresso shot and down it like medicine because shit's busy and I need a pick me up.

When I make moka pot though I like to sip it with nothing added because it's so strong and crisp, and imagine that I'm a ship captain coming on deck in the morning. Like, ok, I'm ready to do things now.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    If you want to experiement with doing real good cold drip, the Bruer is a great tool for the job. Super controllable, pretty much set and forget overnight and you end up with super nice coffee. It really does make a difference using a proper cold drip method over using a french press and letting the grind just sit in the water, in my opinion. Also you can adjust ratios to end up with a concentrate that you can then use with hot water if you want to. They have some blog entries on their site for that sort of thing.

Uhm no thanks I'll pass on dropping $80 on an "experiment"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Coffee equipment is overpriced as hellI think.

Espresso machines sure that makes sense.

But you get mass manufactured stuff like French presses and kettles and pots and stuff and everything seems to be 20 or 30 more dollars than it you would think. Like some kinda coffee fee.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kuerigs are for folks like me who don't drink a whole lot of coffee, and don't like the hassle of an actual coffee machine, and don't want to learn all the advanced pressing and brewing techniques for a quick cup of something, but also don't want to drink folgers microwave coffee.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Can I talk about tea here? I recently got an electric kettle that will boil water in like two minutes so now I can brew up a thermos of earl grey to take to work with me and it is great. I also really like chai, it's what I get from Starbucks if people want to go there.

Went to a tea room with my wife and a couple of her friends a while back and while clearly I wasn't their expected clientele that shit was delicious. I ended up buying a bag of loose leaf fruity black dessert tea to take home.

Kane Red Robe on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    tea is real nice

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I like coffee

I like tea.

https://youtu.be/z2WzIMTbCa8
    ?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I like making like six shots of espresso, then taking the leftover grounds and putting them in the mug too. Gives it some extra thickness.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Can I talk about tea here? I recently got an electric kettle that will boil water in like two minutes so now I can brew up a thermos of earl grey to take to work with me and it is great. I also really like chai, it's what I get from Starbucks if people want to go there.

Went to a tea room with my wife and a couple of her friends a while back and while clearly I wasn't their expected clientele that shit was delicious. I ended up buying a bag of loose leaf fruity black dessert tea to take home.

Chai is incredible.
    Also great? This Aztec hot chocolate stuff I got from a local spice company. Nice little burn in the back of the throat at the end. Highly recommend

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My company makes a pretty awesome in-the-wall coffee/espresso machine that I think I want, especially because I can get it at a steep discount. The only thing keeping me from doing so is a general distrust for complicated hard-to-install and hard-to-repair devices whereas right now if my coffee machine goes kaput I spend 40 bucks at Costco and I'm golden.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    my dad has some coffee pod machine... thing

and I've not been impressed by every cup it's made
    but it's coffee, so I don't complain out loud (plus, you know, rude)

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I would like the idea of the Keurig more if it didn't create an obscene waste issue.

But easy make & cleanup coffee that I can fit in a corner of my office would be great.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I would like the idea of the Keurig more if it didn't create an obscene waste issue.

But easy make & cleanup coffee that I can fit in a corner of my office would be great.

They make reusable pods but they were shit for coffee so ours just sits in a closet.
    I need to look into cold brew in large batches. Can mix some into my protein shake in the mornings!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I have a reusable mesh pod. Works just fine.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Kuerigs are for folks like me who don't drink a whole lot of coffee, and don't like the hassle of an actual coffee machine, and don't want to learn all the advanced pressing and brewing techniques for a quick cup of something, but also don't want to drink folgers microwave coffee.

We have a Kuerig machine here at the office. It would get used once or twice a day prior to me showing up. Since I showed up, we've approximately quintupled our coffee costs.
    Kuerigs are a bad idea, and we need a nice drip machine, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for it.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    My SO and I live with family. and everyone in the house drinks coffee. So on a weekend morning we can go through 2 pots of coffee fairly easily. Now the issue is that everyone gets up at different times and sometimes you don't want to reheat coffee in the microwave after it has been sitting for a couple hours. My thought was to get a large, 12-cup thermal carafe which is gonna keep it warm for an extended period of time while also limiting the trips to the kitchen where the drip machine is. Does anyone have recommendations for such a thing?
    get an airpot (or a large thermos)! a good one will keep it steamy for at least a couple hours, and hot for more. Zojirushi is a good brand, and therefore spendy.
    • a full container will maintain heat better than one that starts out half-empty, so getting a size with your usage in mind is particularly wise.
    • to keep a steady temperature over long periods, look for vacuum-sealed; a stainless exterior is more likely to maintain that vacuum seal vs plastic.
    • a glass liner insulates better, is usually cheaper, but requires slightly more delicate handling than a stainless liner. eg, avoid shocking the glass (pre-heating the pot also helps it retain heat longer), mindful cleaning, and so on. with a food-service background, i find a stainless liner more convenient and the tradeoffs worth it.
    • a lever-top is typically less prone to breakage, but you also need to keep in mind that a single slow, gentle press will fill a coffee cup -- people can get impatient and treat it like a water pump handle, which stresses the mechanism internally, as well.
    if i had need, i would splurge for this 1-gal Zojirushi. but first i would check my local Asian groceries/restaurant supply/discount department stores. i got my electric kettle from some random brand, but it's stainless steel, still kicking after 2 years, and cost 15 bucks. i've seen the Zojirushi hot water pots for some tempting prices at the grocery, but i just don't need hot water instantaneously.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the Zoji pots are really incredible if your household is like my family's and consumes about a liter of tea per capita per diem

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Fresh roasted Ethiopian Aramo beans is the best thing that has happened, ever. It's when I realised I like coffee more than alcohol, more than love. I'd kill all you for a cup and I'm drinking a cup right now.

Fuck off and die.
    Also has anybody had any luck with low- or no calorie flavors or creamers? Any sweetener besides sugar tastes like absolute crap to me

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I just use some milk, just about all the lactose free stuff we buy comes in 2%

Miss me? Find me on:

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Also has anybody had any luck with low- or no calorie flavors or creamers? Any sweetener besides sugar tastes like absolute crap to me

Fat free half 'n' half, and real sugar. BAM. If you're not adding crazy amounts of sugar to your coffee, this should be fine. Sugar is only 17 calories per teaspoon.

You can also add in a few drops of flavor extract, which is no-calorie and not artificially sweetened (I also hate art. sweeteners). Vanilla extract and hazelnut extract would be good starts, I'd think.

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    One of these days I'll see what honey tastes like in coffee. I love it in my tea and that's how flavours work right? You like the taste mix with one thing, so it should taste good with other thing too.

(Also I'm trying to cut sugar out of my diet. At least processed sugar, like what you buy in most stores)

yeah, just going with sugar and cow juice lets you control everything to your liking

bonus points if you're diligent enough to measure it out, so you get the combo right every time

Miss me? Find me on:

@Metalbourne have you ever tried using your mug to make cold brew? I'm curious how it worked out if so

Very likely picking up a moka pot soon, the wife said she'd be fine with it since they're fairly inexpensive and could be neat. Has anybody had any experience with any particular materials/metals working better or worse than others?

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    @Metalbourne have you ever tried using your mug to make cold brew? I'm curious how it worked out if so

Very likely picking up a moka pot soon, the wife said she'd be fine with it since they're fairly inexpensive and could be neat. Has anybody had any experience with any particular materials/metals working better or worse than others?
    I don't see why you couldn't. only downside is the mug is not microwave safe so you can't have hot cold brewed coffee unless you pour it into a different mug

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm also looking into getting a Bialetti style coffee/moka maker. Is there any real difference between what comes out of that and an espresso? Should I also get a coffe grinder O could I use this which I already have?

I want to make some espresso martinis (and also espresso)

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm also looking into getting a Bialetti style coffee/moka maker. Is there any real difference between what comes out of that and an espresso? Should I also get a coffe grinder O could I use this which I already have?

I want to make some espresso martinis (and also espresso)

You could use that, but I bet it would be irritating to chase down each bean/getting an even grind.

Alternatively, a cheap blade grinder would do a better job than that at consistancy of grind, controlling what fineness, and just plain quickness.

A burr grinder is what coffee afficionados tend to use as it cracks/crushes the beans rather than cuts them like a bladed grinder (which can 'burn' the bean and change the flavor apparently). They used to be really expensive but they've come down in price a lot on the low end of the market.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Burr grinders are also more consistant and adjustable, rather than getting a melange of sizes of bits of coffee. You can get hand cranked ones for a bunch less than electric ones.

For espresso martinis you might find cold brewed coffee works better rather than cooling down hot stuff, if you feel like making (or finding somewhere that sells) it.

cold brew is super easy once you've got the materials.
    5 lbs of a coarse grind, 16 quarts water to yield about 3 gallons concentrate after 24 hours. paper filter inside a silk bag minimizes sludge.
    ...you don't have a walk-in?
    (hue hue hue)
    {HEY LOOK, if i'm gonna be stuck with years of food-service minutiae cluttering my brain forever, i'm gonna make stupid jokes}

i should try making some decaf toddy in my French press...!
    anyway, a slightly less ass-kicking ratio is 1:1, so you could do 1/4lb to 4 cups and still get a concentrate that will store well for about two weeks.
    and steamed toddy tastes better than iced espresso, so if you only have resources for one...

lfchwLd.jpg
    pooka wrote: »
    cold brew is super easy once you've got the materials.
    5 lbs of a coarse grind, 16 quarts water to yield about 3 gallons concentrate after 24 hours. paper filter inside a silk bag minimizes sludge.
    ...you don't have a walk-in?
    (hue hue hue)
    {HEY LOOK, if i'm gonna be stuck with years of food-service minutiae cluttering my brain forever, i'm gonna make stupid jokes}

i should try making some decaf toddy in my French press...!
    anyway, a slightly less ass-kicking ratio is 1:1, so you could do 1/4lb to 4 cups and still get a concentrate that will store well for about two weeks.
    and steamed toddy tastes better than iced espresso, so if you only have resources for one...

I feel like I need to take a class on professional coffee-making just to understand what I'd need to google to make sense of this

edited April 2017
    if it makes you feel better, i have technically been a coffee professional.

e: and i ahem am not the most intuitive at mathing. if i can do it...!

toddy = a proprietary commercial cold brewing process/system, used as slang for all cold brew (like Kleenex, a proprietary eponym)
    walk-in = a large, walk-in fridge or freezer, good for screaming in rage without alerting customers

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I am brewing some folgers original recipe in my drip machine right now. I'm ready

I am brewing some folgers original recipe in my drip machine right now. I'm ready

I pop a tablespoon of generic WinCo brand coffee grounds into my french press every morning.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Update: it smells nonexistent. I set my machine to Extra Strength brew

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I made a pot with some of my locally roasted beans sourced from Mexico (roasted on the fist of April) this morning. Made it a touch weaker than usual but it was good.

Also I need to get some Jameson and some heavy whipping cream...

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    I put some Tim's grounds into my mesh filter for my Keurig for a 20oz cup with some half&half.

It tasted like coffee I guess.

(One day I'll have a real cup of well brewed coffee made by someone that doesn't just want to get coffee into my facehole like I do)