As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about some coffee

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I was scrolling about the forums as I do and saw this thread title

good suggestion!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I found out you can roast coffee beans in a hot air popcorn popper.
    So I bought one. And 5 lbs of unroasted coffee beans.

Roasted my first batch tonight. Will try it tomorrow morning. But I am excited and hopeful!

Also used the popper to make popcorn.
    Put some vegetable oil in a spray bottle and spritzed the popcorn after it was done so my flavor powder would stick.

A+ foodxperiment night

I just roast mine in the oven. It takes a bit of experimentation to get it right. Report back with results!

I went slightly under the needed time it seems. Got some light roast. The flavor was good! I ended up needing about 50% more grounds in the French press. I feel like it was more caffienated?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Light roasts do tend to have more caffeine, yeah.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    You get a dark roast by roasting the beans longer, and the longer you roast the beans the more caffeine you cook out, is my very unscientific understanding.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I made more cold brew.

Did it in the fridge, used 3/4th cups of beans instead of 1 cup per the quart, but only gave it like 16 hours.

It seems somewhat lighter in color this time for sure but it tastes good, certainly less bitter.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I make two cups of stovetop espresso every morning and then I get to work and drink 4-6 cups of coffee flavored water which combined gives as much kick as a single cup of espresso. At work is much more about staying alive than the actual enjoyment of coffee.

Also, I absolutely loathe cold coffee in any form.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Cold coffee is intensely revolting to me. I don't really know why. It's disappointing, because I like the idea of cold brew or an iced coffee. I don't even like coffee-flavored ice cream.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Add boiling water to your cold brew

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    After two days of having to drink cafeteria coffee at work i am so happy that we make our own at my normal work location. That cafeteria stuff was so watered down. "Coffee flavoured water" is the perfect description

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Coffee thread, Alton Brown is probably one of the most intellectual foodies I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhATyrOHrc

what say you?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Use cold brew to make ice cubes that you can use to cool down your piping hot coffee. Even better if you use a different method (french press cold vs moka pot). It's a mix!

Definitely need to contemplate actual beans.

• Options
    I just got my first delivery of beans from blue bottle.

They sent me Something called Colombia Granja La Esperanza Bourbon

I ground some up fine and made some in the moka pot, and holy moly it was so delicious.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    mochas are amazing

• Options
    So I've been experimenting with a sort of percolator style. My wife gets up early for work most days, so we have a drip machine on a timer. Well, what I've started doing, since most of the pot is still there and ready to drink, is pouring it into the moka pot, and then scooping the grinds out and into the moka as well, then tossing it on the stove on medium heat, and let it run through the grinds again.

It's definitely a fuller flavor, and I don't really feel it's too bitter (although I put a fair amount of cream and sugar in my coffee anyway). So I'm not sure, but so far I'm liking it fine.

I did try to make one from scratch but I screwed it up I think, either because it was turned up too high, left on for too long, or just using pre-ground store brand beans for drip. That or maybe it was trying to be clever and use chocolate ice cream for the creamer element. Not sure but it didn't work out great.

I gotta bite the bullet and start buying beans.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Second batch of coffee came out much better
    Darker, not burnt tasting, good aromas and color
    That was at 3:30
    Today I'll try to roast for 4 minutes!
    Can you re roast coffee? Wanna do stuff with that disappointing first batch

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Crapola, just realized that I only have enough grounds for a half a cup tomorrow morning.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Crapola, just realized that I only have enough grounds for a half a cup tomorrow morning.

you can stretch limited coffee beans by drinking the grounds also

• Options
    How vile of a sin would it be to use a weak simple syrup in my moka pot so that the coffee is a bit sweeter?

What about in making cold brew?

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    I'm a lazy bitch who is enjoying her bought cold brew on the train.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    How vile of a sin would it be to use a weak simple syrup in my moka pot so that the coffee is a bit sweeter?

I mean, make whatever makes you happy.

Just know no matter how much sugar you add it won't be enough for your average Cuban.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Just know no matter how much sugar you add it won't be enough for your average Cuban.

Or your average Hyperballad, who had root canal two weeks ago.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I'm a lazy bitch who is enjoying her bought cold brew on the train.

wait is your avatar bjork?

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

This makes me very happy to read.

Okay further question what if I'm doing a super light roast? My understanding is that 1 - light roasts tend to have more caffeine; and 2 - darker roasts tend to make my tummy all wumbly

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Lighter roasts would have less of the caffeine chemical destroyed from heat.

Darker roasts stand up better with espresso and extracting with espresso allows you to take more caffeine out of the bean.

So it is really a wash, and the caffeine difference isn't hugely different.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I've started making cold brew and I'm digging it.
    It does however mean I find it really easy to drink 1L of coffee a day.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    So the Moka Pot has had some mixed reviews. Generally I'm enjoying it, but my wife's not super duper crazy about it, which doesn't super bother me because she's already kinda waffly about her coffee. She wants to wean herself off the super sweetness I accidentally got her used to.

Also I used a grinder to make powder out of the grounds we use. I noticed a difference in flavor, and I liked it just fine.

The next step is to pick up a french press so we can try cold brew, but before that we definitely gotta start buying beans.

Also, anybody know of a french press that has, like, a second lid that doesn't have a plunger? Our fridge just isn't tall enough for the full height of the plunger.

e: I found this which is fucking massive

Tox on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

EDIT: I don't know how to work twitter.

EDIT EDIT: Oh there it goes.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Whipped up a batch of cold brew last night to have this morning.

It was...fine? I dunno if it just needed longer or if it was because I used regular coffee grinds or what but it was alright. Wife didn't love it as much as she liked the moka pot (which I'mma try again tomorrow).

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    oh right, here is a picture of my mug. It is very nice for camping or being homeless as it doesnt take up much space and is pretty self-contained.
    61QB4iVUviL._SL1500_.jpg
    Bodum! I'm planning to get the same style set with their french press(as my first french press), travel mug, glass mug and a spoon.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    FUCK

I forgot to buy coffee today

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    FUCK

I forgot to buy coffee today

RIP in peace

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I am out of my good good coffee beans from blue bottle.

Drinking the last cup right now.

Anyone got suggestions for more beans?

• Options
    Read that as "more bears" and was like, please do not take bears' coffee. They need it after all that hibernating.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    After a little experimenting the wife decided she just didn't get that much better of a "coffee experience" out of anything fancy, she likes her regular store brand drip. I did manage to switch up from the regular giant can to the "donut shop blend" so we'll see if that's anything different?

Still enjoying an occasional moka pot myself. It works really well with brown sugar. Regular drip doesn't seem to taste as good with brown sugar, so I stick with the plain stuff for that.

• Options
    I think I've gone ahead and made the switch to simple syrup for my coffee from now on. even the drip.

It's just easier to dissolve in the cup when I'm tired in the morning.

I haven't used my moka pot in a while, but it's a whole process, best saved for occasions. (I always boil my water in a kettle first before adding it to the moka pot to not cook the grounds.)

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What is the deal with nitro infused coffee?

I had one from Dunkin Donuts this morning, and it looked cool, but it tasted just like coffee and didn't really feel gassy or whatever

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hey

Hey cold brew fans

Make ice cubes with it and then when you make an iced coffee it doesn't get weaker as the ice melts

Also chocolate milk with coffee ice cubes is delicious

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

I had one from Dunkin Donuts this morning, and it looked cool, but it tasted just like coffee and didn't really feel gassy or whatever

Its gives it a creamier 'mouthfeel'

Its rumored to make it taste better by stopping the oxidization of the coffee. But it also might do that with the power of buzzwords

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Not coffee, but my wife made a pitcher of tea last night and today I put a bag of peppermint and spearmint in there so it'll be nice and refreshing later.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017

The cynic in me says it's a way for places to charge me more money to put more air and less liquid in my cup.

The snob in me says that it's another way to make your coffee taste less like coffee.

The reasoned person in me says that it changes the mouthfeel of the beverage and potentially helps the coffee keep longer by pushing oxygen out and slowing the oxidization process that occurs in coffee while it rests.

Personally I haven't found the minor difference to justify the increased cost.

Inquisitor on