As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about some coffee

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There's a place near me with nitro cold brew on tap and the first time I went there right after they opened they asked whether I wanted ice or not and I said noooo? and they gave me an entire pint glass of nitro cold brew with nothing in it.

It was legit a top five day my friends, like they go Wedding/Birth of kid #1/Birth of Kid #2/First time I got laid/That time they gave me an entire pint glass of nitro cold brew.

Nitro cold brew on tap is fucking fantastic.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I got a naked/bottomless portafilter for my ROK squeezer to make it more annoying to make coffee help me improve my coffee making. It does make it a lot easier to see whether I have it right, but it's not immediately easy to know what needs adjusting when it's not pulling right. There's a video in that link there to demonstrate the outcome of using it, and it's pretty neat to see what it looks like without the spout on the bottom.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I just got some Vietnamese coffee

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Hey

Hey cold brew fans

Make ice cubes with it and then when you make an iced coffee it doesn't get weaker as the ice melts

Also chocolate milk with coffee ice cubes is delicious

Ah heck, I just confirmed an amazon order. If I had read this first I would have ordered some ice cube trays for the bar.

Oh well, I ordered some metal filters for my Aeropress so that's good news.

EDIT: Oh cool double qoutes.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So probably seen that Starbucks is clearing out their online store. If you wanted a press or some cups cheaper, check them out.

Also the vacuum block of IKEA ground coffee is actually pretty good.

MichaelLC on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Hey the coffee thread

What's a good container to store ground coffee? I have been keeping it in the bag, but I want something else.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    In the coffee maker, on top of the filter.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    In your compost bin?

Any sort of airtight container is good. I've had two of these Cuisinarts forever:
    d6ypsdzzc19u.jpg

I like the latch better than a lid you pull off; less chance of spraying grounds everywhere.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Any kind of air tight container in the freezer. A resealable bag or comparable plastic recepticle.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    So probably seen that Starbucks is clearing out their online store. If you wanted a press or some cups cheaper, check them out.

Also the vacuum block of IKEA ground coffee is actually pretty good.

A lot of their stuff is still a little above normal Amazon prices, so, probably gonna wait a bit longer on that.
    Hey the coffee thread

What's a good container to store ground coffee? I have been keeping it in the bag, but I want something else.

Treat it like a spice, and you'll be golden.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Also, fuck Starbucks.

Freezing is bad

No. It's fine.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    You're already buying preground coffee what do you care if it's got a little freezer burn

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Also, fuck Starbucks.
    yes, but also no. i have slightly warmed on them because i have been told they have great part-time employee insurance.

lfchwLd.jpg
    I've thought about upgrading my coffee set up, but I keep having to buy other things when I think about buying a grinder and a cold brew kit

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Freezing and refreezing is bad for coffee.

So if you want to prepackaged your coffee into individual portions, and then freeze it and only take out what you need, yes, freezing is ok

When it comes to package coffee, putting it into an air tight sealed box is bad for the coffee as it will degass, blow the container and then the air will mix and go stale faster.

The best thing to leave coffee in is the bag it came from, assuming that it is a foiled lined, sealed bag with a one way valve.

• grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    Ok, I've been pointed to this thread. So I finally got my first french press(3 cup Bodum), and I'm unable to make decent cup of coffee with it. No matter what I do, it comes out gross and diluted. Grinder I use is Hario slim, and no, I can't afford another one now. I can see grind comes out a bit uneven. For coffee I just used what I had left, which was Lavazza crema e aroma, which is a mild coffee in itself. What can I do before I just give up on this method? :/

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    What coffee:water ratio are you using? How long are you letting it steep?

Generally in a french press I'd start with a ratio of 1:12 or 1:13 grams of coffee to ML of hot water.

I also give it about 4 to 5 minutes to steep.

You might also try adding only a bit of water first and giving it a bit of a stir till the grounds float to the top, then adding the rest of the water.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, we need more information to give more solid advice on what to change but, generally the things that are going to screw up a french press are:

Grind size too small.

Steep time too short (or long).

Not cleaning out the mesh filter (oils build up and get nasty)

Once the fundamentals are down, I like to, a couple minutes into steeping, give it a real quick stir with a stick to break the top crust of coffee up and making sure that all the grounds are getting saturated. But some people disagree with this *shrugs*

edited November 2017
    Best thing for my coffee making has been a digital scale actually.

Also I desperately want to go out and pick up some fresh roasted beans but it's rainy and gross outside.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Digital scales are a GOD SEND, and practically a must imo if you want to make good, consistent (especially consistent) pourovers.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    In regards to what coffee to use, generally speaking the best way to go is something freshly roasted locally. Grind it up relatively coarsely for a french press and go from there with Uriel's advice.

I want to get a pour over setup but my scale has a pretty small platform so I'm pretty sure most carafes wouldn't fit on it.

Also would need a gooseneck kettle.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    You want a coase grind for French press. A burr grinder should be giving you even results, maybe it's too coarse and the gap is too wide open? You'll use more coffee with a French press (it's been a while since I used a press, I forget what the ratio is supposed to be) compared to a regular drip machine. Get your water hot, pour it over the coffee, give it a stir so that it forms that wonderful creamy cap (maybe anecdotal but it always made my coffee taste better). Let it sit for enough time before pressing, and don't let it sit on the grounds for long after pressing.

edited November 2017
    like i said i tried everything. i use scoop that came with it that said its one scoop per cup. at some point i used 6 full scoops and way longer extraction time(longer than recommended 4 mins), and it still came out watery, except now it was also bitter. i tried reducing water, increasing coffee amount and vice versa. no, grind size too coarse would give milder coffee. it actually got slightly better when i reduced grind size. the press is new so there's no build up. i don't have a scale so how to measure coffee except with the scoop?
    Uriel wrote: »

You might also try adding only a bit of water first and giving it a bit of a stir till the grounds float to the top, then adding the rest of the water.
    i'll try this(with other coffee ill get)but when i pour it in grounds immediately float to the top anyway, is that how it's supposed to be?
    pimento wrote: »
    In regards to what coffee to use, generally speaking the best way to go is something freshly roasted locally. Grind it up relatively coarsely for a french press and go from there with Uriel's advice.
    i wanted to use up coffee i had. there are no coffee roasters in the city at all, the ones i know specifically sell ground coffee for turkish coffee(predominant way of drinking it here)and it's not good. to explain it to you coffee connoisseurs; every time i have to order coffee from middle of nowhere if i wanna have decent coffee. just work with me here.

grrmusha on
    edited November 2017
    It's possible your grind size is still just a bit too coarse.

How hard is it to press the plunger?

Also try about 2 rounded tablespoons per 6oz of water just as a general guide until you can get a hold of a cheap digital scale.

If it's 3, 8 oz cups in your press than you'd want to use about 8 well rounded tablespoons of grounds.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Extending steep time in general is almost always going to produce bitter coffee. Different flavor compounds extract at different rates from coffee when exposed to hot water. The sweeter elements of coffee extract faster than the bitter elements of coffee. Making up the numbers here but let's say at 4 minutes the sweet elements are 100% extracted, the medium elements are 75% and the bitter elements are 25%, steeping past there well, the sweet elements are already full extracted so the coffee is just going to get more and more bitter as those elements have more time to extract.

This is why a long shot of espresso, despite using much more water, is far more bitter than a regular shot, because the water is running over the same grounds for longer, giving time to fully extract the bitter elements. /nerd

How big is your scoop 1Tbsp or 2Tbsp? What do you mean by a cup? Like, one scoop to 8 fluid ounces? Without a scale to measure out exact grams (ideal). I think for french press it's more like 2-3 tbsp per 6oz of water. You want more grounds to water then with a drip coffee maker, typically.

edited November 2017
    ugh. it's not supposed to be rocket science. i did everything that's been recommended. please no suggesting to buy new equipment, scales etc. cus i can't afford it. i thought one is supposed to be able to make a decent cup without all that?
    How hard is it to press the plunger?
    very easy, no pressure.
    Inquisitor wrote: »

How big is your scoop 1Tbsp or 2Tbsp? What do you mean by a cup? Like, one scoop to 8 fluid ounces? Without a scale to measure out exact grams (ideal). I think for french press it's more like 2-3 tbsp per 6oz of water. You want more grounds to water then with a drip coffee maker, typically.
    the press is 350 ml(12 oz), which is one"cup"for me but officially 3 cups. I can't find measurements for the scoop, maybe it's like 1 tbsp?

the only thing i can think of is that this coffee just doesn't go well with this method? in a mokka it's perfectly fine, but even then its not a strong coffee, it has a mild flavour. obviously there's a difference between "mild flavour"and diluted. i mean anyone who's tried this coffee will get what i mean.

grrmusha on
    edited November 2017
    If it's too easy your grounds are too coarse for sure.

You should have to apply about 15 pounds of pressure to move the plunger down and it should take about 30 seconds to hit the bottom.

For 12 oz you'd use about 4 tablespoons of grounds.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited November 2017
    I usually go with the general 2TBSP (8g) of grounds per 6oz of water. Add water, stir gently once or twice before putting the lid on. Seep for 4 mins, press slowly, should take about 30 secs.

As Uriel said, there's lots of other factors that go into it; coffee freshness & strength, water, grind size & consistency. Just vary one thing at a time.

MichaelLC on
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Maybe silly, but how hot is your water?

Pre-heating the equipment can help a good bit with a french press if you live somewhere cold, as you can bleed a lot of heat over the entire steep time.

Also it prevents you from pouring hot coffee into a cold mug and having the cold mug crack open and spill hot coffee all over your hand (that happened to me, it sucked.)

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I just drank some coffee with waffles I made. Ama

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I just drank some coffee with waffles I made. Ama

Did you dunk the waffles in coffee?

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    No. The coffee was still brewing.

edited November 2017
    If it's too easy your grounds are too coarse for sure.
    they were at first, but if i make them any finer, they'll end up being too fine? :/ i'll just leave grinder as is until i get other coffee, then see how that one turns out. if it's watery again, i'll decrease grind size. instructions on the box say 3 scoops/tbs, but i agree with you. 4 should be just right for that amount, IF it actually worked lol.
    Maybe silly, but how hot is your water?
    i use el. kettle. i don't know the temp, i don't measure it lol. this is what i get for asking coffee nerds :P I should buy entire laboratory to make one decent cup of joe.

grrmusha on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    No. The coffee was still brewing.

BULLSHIT

I made waffles yesterday too. They were good

I kind of want waffles now.

Thanks a lot Clint.